Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

The apocalypse came...

...and went un-noticed here.

there was a spot or two of rain though.

I wonder whether he'd shut up if threatened with legal action by resorts and tourist attractions for scaring away their customers...

It's not just all about Met Office vs tabloids. There are "third options" to be considered. Some of those can be found right here on this forum. It's a pity that some people don't seem to realize that advances are being made in this field, and not by either of the first two options listed.

Edited by Roger J Smith

I'd publicly tweet that to them if I were you!

I'd publicly tweet that to them if I were you!

Well given the flack Mr Rao gets on twitter when he posts links to these stories I don't think they'd care TBH the trouble is weather stories make then money and the sad thing is some still beleive them despite many wrong stories

Edited by Summer Sun

I know. The amount of people that say 'oooohhhhhh did you see the papers, we're going to have tornadoes and a state of emergency will be declared'.

It's bloody stupid because a couple of years back they forecast some sort of extreme weather when I think nothing of the sort was forecast and there was panic buying at all the local shops and an elderly lady broke her leg where she was pushed over.

Edited by Lauren

If they say Jo Farrow said we're getting 100 days of snow, I'll protest

In Afghanistan the Taliban called Weather forecasters sorcerers and smashed up all the equipment 

I think in S.Africa there were threats of forecasters going to jail.

Now a more subtle pressure

https://news.vice.com/article/kim-jong-un-berates-north-koreas-weather-service-for-incorrect-forecasts

We could send a few copies of the Daily Express 'forecasts', might be more grateful

June 20th Jonathan Powell said the following in the Express

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said the mercury could go up to 86F (30C) at some spots in the South next week. He said: “There is a huge area of high pressure and that looks as if it is here to stay. Temperatures are going to keep rising; also the wind – which has kept things slightly cooler over the past few days – will be changing direction, letting things heat up. “It is great news for Wimbledon and Glastonbury with no sign of a wash-out on the way.â€

One week on

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said parts of the UK, especially the South, should expect ferocious thunderstorms. He said although it will feel much cooler, temperatures are due to rise again by the middle of July.“There are some mighty downpours on the way, the rain will rumble on through Saturday and into next week,†Mr Powell added. “But after that there are signs of things settling down. The best is yet to come towards the middle of July, when we could see temperatures reaching the 80s.â€

Edited by Summer Sun

June 20th Jonathan Powell said the following in the Express

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said the mercury could go up to 86F (30C) at some spots in the South next week. He said: “There is a huge area of high pressure and that looks as if it is here to stay. Temperatures are going to keep rising; also the wind – which has kept things slightly cooler over the past few days – will be changing direction, letting things heat up. “It is great news for Wimbledon and Glastonbury with no sign of a wash-out on the way.â€

One week on

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said parts of the UK, especially the South, should expect ferocious thunderstorms. He said although it will feel much cooler, temperatures are due to rise again by the middle of July.“There are some mighty downpours on the way, the rain will rumble on through Saturday and into next week,†Mr Powell added. “But after that there are signs of things settling down. The best is yet to come towards the middle of July, when we could see temperatures reaching the 80s.â€

"Here at the Express we know how important the weather is to you" hahaha

No wonder the models suddenly backed away from high pressure building in next week........

The Express curse is back

Summer scorcher: UK set for TWO WEEKS of sweltering weather as El Nino turns up the heat

BRITAIN is about to sizzle in a two-week burst of summer – as the El Nino effect pushes up temperatures around the world.  Sunshine and blue skies, which will signal the start of a heatwave across the country, possibly from Thursday, could last through until at least the middle of July, forecasters said yesterday. The predictions come as the Met Office’s Dan Williams revealed the El Nino phenomenon, which occurs when temperatures rise in the Pacific Ocean, is likely to trigger “major climatic impacts†across the globe.

This could bring a greater risk of typhoons in the tropical north-west Pacific, including China and south-east Asia, and drought in western parts of the United States. The last El Nino in 2009/2010 resulted in an exceptionally cold winter across northern Europe, including Britain, which was crippled by snow. Its effect this time could see 2014 or 2015 turning out to be the hottest year on record – with temperatures from the first half of the year in Britain having already been warmer than average. Met Office spokeswoman Nicky Maxey said: “We are looking at some fairly dry, fine weather for everybody. “We have got high pressure making things warmer and there is warm air coming off the Continent.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/485930/Sweltering-summer-to-sizzle-as-El-Nino-turns-up-the-heat

What the hell is this crazy guy trying to do?

Crazy Hail Storm... And Crazy Guy Trying To Protect His Car

For anyone who hasn't seen it, 'Wild Weather' starts tonight at 8pm on BBC4 every Monday.

I noticed on the 10.35pm BBC1 national forecast tonight that when they did the 'UK tour' it was more of a top down look than a tilted map.

Did anyone else notice? I'm sure that's a new thing?

Global warming looks like a Summer from the 90's? How does that work then? :rolleyes: