Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Are our members from this thread contributing here I wonder????

https://twitter.com/ExpressNathan

I'm not sure how you rate it, but I suspect the '87 storm was worse in terms of damage, coverage and unfortunately loss of life, so is that a true reflection?

I wasn't around in 87 so I can't comment on that one

Posted

Are our members from this thread contributing here I wonder???? https://twitter.com/ExpressNathan I'm not sure how you rate it, but I suspect the '87 storm was worse in terms of damage, coverage and unfortunately loss of life, so is that a true reflection?

Burns' Day storm was probably even worse, 46 killed, affected a larger area than the '87 storm did.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

ah well never mind peeps i'm sure james madden has lot to thank our posters for on the model discussions from both camps mild and cold.

Madden has some cheek saying that the Met Office change their minds (as usual)! since when did Madden say we would have a mild spell in December? unless he issues so many forecasts i.e. one 6 months ahead, 3 months ahead, a seasonal forecast, A snow armageddon one etc. all varying in nature so he has to be right with one of them!  Who in their right mind would subscribe to his nonsense?    

Indeed I thought that Mr Madden was predicting 100 days of snow, seeing as the first half of December is already largely snow free (given current weather and next weeks forecast), this forecast is bust already.

Edited by J10

I particularly like this"However, a brief period of moderation may also develop in parts of the south (normal winter conditions), and extend northwards as we progress throughout the latter part of this forecasting period. It may also become quite windy across many parts of the country and rather unsettled if this develops. Alternative scenario will see a continuation of cool temperatures and further wintry showers."Talk about hedging your bets!

Any excuse to bring this video out.

• Like 1

Posted

Here we go again

A white Christmas? Expect storms returning with 90mph gales and torrential rain

BRITAIN is on alert for another battering from fierce storms next week as experts warn of a Christmas deluge. Gales of up to 90mph and torrential rain threaten chaos into the New Year. Another deep depression, ­similar to that responsible for last week’s storm, is poised to rip across the country after the weekend. Some regions face a repeat of the ­hurricane-force gales that wrecked buildings and tore down trees. Jonathan Powell, forecaster for ­Vantage Weather Services, warned that a ­swirling “Catherine wheel†of low ­pressure over the Atlantic was charging towards the UK. It will bring 70mph gales to many areas next week, with 90mph gusts threatening exposed northern regions.

Leon Brown, forecaster for The Weather Channel, said this week will remain calm and settled before the next storm system roars in. He said: “We do expect the weather to become more unsettled again in the week running up to Christmas, with the risk of stormy weather to end December as the jet stream moves southwards again. “Friday will be a cold and bright day for the South of the UK, but a warm front moving across the North will bring a cloudy afternoon with a spell of sleet and hill snow in Scotland.†Netweather said this week will be mainly dry and settled before turning wet and windy by the weekend.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/447551/A-white-Christmas-Expect-storms-returning-with-90mph-gales-and-torrential-rain

Posted

Snow Storm Brings Misery To Much Of US

A powerful storm has dropped snow, freezing rain and sleet on the Mid-Atlantic and the East Coast, blanketing some NFL playing fields and forcing thousands of flights to be cancelled. The storm coated parts of Texas in ice, and struck the East Coast with unexpected force. It left travellers stranded, slowing traffic on roads and leading to a number of accidents, and caused some power outages. Arctic air plunged temperatures in much of the country, with the record low of -42F (-41C) reported in Jordan, Montana, on Saturday. The storm turned NFL playing fields in Pennsylvania into winter wonderlands.

http://news.sky.com/story/1179773/snow-storm-brings-misery-to-much-of-us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Front page of today's Express

Posted Image

Amazing! what about the freezing temps for 'weeks' and a white xmas the paper and their 'supposed' expert forecasters warned us of at the end of November - it's all been completely forgotten about.

Just wait until there is a lull in proceedings and HP develops over the country, headline of 'UK to be drier than the sahara for 30 days! will soon follow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

A Maddening update -  again trying find something to justify his forcst for November and December. He is also sticking to  a cold end to Dec and Jan in the freezer

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

I guess we'll have another snowmageddon headline in the express shortly!

• Like 1

Posted

This is getting extremely stupid now and needs stopping very quickly

180mph wind to batter Britain as we face worst Christmas on record

BRITAIN is heading for its stormiest Christmas ever, with terrifying 180mph super-winds. And a huge area of low pressure headed for the UK from the Atlantic is set to bring 90mph gusts by the end of next week. Now bookies have slashed the odds to 25-1 for the nation to experience its strongest winds ever as fears grow that the 173mph record set in Scotland in 1986 will be smashed. Weather expert Nicola McGeady, from Coral, warned: “The odds on the worst winter in history continue to tumble as the latest weather reports make for grim reading. “And judging by the amount of bets flooding in, punters are preparing for the worst.†Such high wind speeds could cause massive damage to buildings, blowing roofs off houses. They could also uproot millions of trees.

The predictions come after last week’s sea surge and gales of up to 140mph saw 10,000 homes evacuated. Coral has offered 4-1 odds that 2013 will be the wettest year on record, beating the 1,337mm of rain that fell in 2000. And punters were also being given 9-1 odds that it will drop below the -27.2C lowest temperature ever recorded in 1982. But yesterday the Met Office predicted days of mild, relatively calm weather before any storm. They forecast 11-13C temperatures for much of the UK this week. Forecaster Dan Williams said: “Temperatures are going to be average or above for much of the nation, and we could see a positively balmy 13C.â€

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/354998/180MPH-wind-to-batter-Britain-foresees-worst-Christmas-on-record

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

This is getting extremely stupid now and needs stopping very quickly

It look's an advert for Coral's, not really a forecast!

• Like 1

Posted

It look's an advert for Coral's, not really a forecast!

Yeah I was thinking that the only "expert" talking about these "super winds" is from Coral

Posted

I wonder if our "press" have been moved to new offices in Greenland? I think it would explain a lot.

I've written my own article which i intend to send to the Express:

Britain to suffer from "weather"

by our meterological correspondent Colin Cr@pspray

"I love snow it's great. My dad says its going snow and snow and snow and snow all winter and if it doesn't i'm going to cry and cry and cry. The other day i went to the beach and it was brilliant and it was windy and there were big waves and i saw a dog do a poo and it was brilliant and i love rain. My neighbour told me it might rain and rain and rain and rain all summer and i think that's great as i love puddles. At christmas it might snow and rain and maybe there might be some sun and maybe everybody might die because of all this weather, that's what my grandad said".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Nicola McGeady - Weather expert  is PR Manager @Coral, Sports lover, Man Utd fan, Tennis enthusiast, Entertainment addict!

PR manager @Coral

Daily star giving out Met. titles as and when it suits

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 3

Posted

PR manager @Coral

Daily star giving out Met. titles as and when it suits

Of course, if they 'sell' the idea of the 'worst weather in history coming this Winter' to the gambling public and lots of people put money on it, if (when?) it doesn't happen then they reap the rewards - simples!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Could you see our footballers playing in this?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/25292683

Just for one day I would love to experience that snow storm

C.S

Posted

Liam Dutton tweeted this earlier on

INSTALLING 100 DAYS OF HEAVY SNOW... ██ 10% DONE ***Installation failed*** Please try again next year... And year after.

#DailyExpress

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Just as well there are no houses or trees on the summit of Cairngorm, where the 173mph was recorded then, eh?.

I'm not worried, you should see what we have in Eastbourne currently:

post-6667-0-86175100-1386676593_thumb.jp

http://www.eastbourneweather.org.uk/weather.htm

Edited by Coast