Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

pso how long do all u pro gw think the u.k would become like the tropics?

In about 43 million years, syed. You can hold me to that!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

thank u mr. R.r we shall c. From your reply i taket u not in the pro gw crue. Thank goodness for that.

Posted

thank u mr. R.r we shall c. From your reply i taket u not in the pro gw crue. Thank goodness for that.

عÙوا، ماذا قلت؟

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Right trying to convert this to English I get

Thank you Mr R* we shall see. From your reply I take it you/r not in the pro Global Warming crew. Thank goodness for that

(*would that be Rybris Ponce? Reference to post No 1243)

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Well it has been a weird year:

UK experiences 'weirdest' weather

The UK has experienced its "weirdest" weather on record in the past few months, scientists say.

The driest spring for over a century gave way to the wettest recorded April to June in a dramatic turnaround never documented before. The scientists said there was no evidence that the weather changes were a result of Man-made climate change. But experts from three bodies warned the UK must plan for periodic swings of drought conditions and flooding. The warning came from the Environment Agency, Met Office and Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) at a joint briefing in London.

Terry Marsh, from the CEH, said there was no close modern precedent for the extraordinary switch in river flows. The nearest comparison was 1903 but this year was, he said, truly remarkable. What was also remarkable - and also fortunate - was that more people did not suffer from flooding. Indeed, one major message of the briefing was that society has been steadily increasing its resilience to floods.

Paul Mustow, head of flood management at the Environment Agency, told BBC News that 4,500 properties had been flooded this year. "But if you look back to 2007 when over 55,000 properties were flooded, we were relatively lucky - if lucky is the right word - for the impacts we saw this summer," he said."The rainfall patterns affected different areas - and also there were periods of respite between the rain which lessened the impact."

Fast moving

He said 53,000 properties would have been flooded this year without flood defences. In total, he said, 190,000 properties had received flood protection in recent years. Mr Mustow claimed that flood defences repaid their investment by a factor of 8-1 but admitted that continuing to invest would be a "challenge", after government cuts to planned projects. But he said that new streams of joint funding from local authorities and private developers had allowed 60 schemes to happen that otherwise would not have gone ahead. He said: "We have to get our heads round the possibility now that we're going to have to move very quickly from drought to flood - with river levels very high and very low over a short period of time. "We used to say we had a traditional flood season in winter - now often it's in summer. This is an integrated problem - there's no one thing that's going to solve it. The situation is changing all the time."

But scientists present from the Met Office and CEH said not much could be read into the weird weather. Terry Marsh from CEH said: "Rainfall charts show no compelling long-term trend - the annual precipitation table shows lots of variability." Sarah Jackson from the Met Office confirmed that it did not discern any pattern that suggested Man-made climate change was at play in UK rainfall - although if temperatures rise as projected in future, that would lead to warmer air being able to carry more moisture to fall as rain. She said that this year's conditions were partly caused by a move to a negative phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation which would be likely to lead to more frequent cold, drier winters - like the 1960s - and also wetter summers for 10-20 years. "Longer term we will see a trend to drier summers but superimposed on that we will always see natural variability," she said.

Whatever happens with the weather, the Environment Agency expects that more and more people will be protected from floods and droughts thanks to water sharing between farmers, water transfer between water companies, and better management of leaks and demand. But Mr Mustow admitted that much more needed to be done to ensure that farmers did not increase flood risk with land drainage schemes and that developers and builders ensured that new developments allowed water to drain into the soil rather than flushing into the sewers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19995084

Edit: Sorry just seen there is a dedicated thread on this topic:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74752-uk-experiences-weirdest-weather/

Edited by Coast

Posted

That article is twaddle and badly written, IMO

How can the driest spring for over a century give way to the wettest April to June on record? April and May are both spring months.

And cast your minds back to 2007. How dry was that April? That was then followed by the wettest May to July period on record. So is it unprecedented? Not really it only happened 5 years ago, something similar.

And look back at the records, we've had some really odd extremes over the years. Just look at 1817 as an example. Look at 1947 as another.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Actually, syed, I am...But some of the 'predictions' that fly around the Internet are incredibly silly, IMO...Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i agree although i don't buy into the gw u r rite some articles r laughable to say the least. Though i don't beleave in globle warming i do accept climate change it's hard not to we seen the evidence over the last 5 years.

• Like 1

Posted

2012 has seen an 'unprecedented' year of weather swings, say experts - but Fog on the Tyne proves some things never change

First faced with a severe drought, then lashed by continuous heavy rain, Britain has been hit by extremely bizarre weather this summer.

Now experts have confirmed that this year's strange conditions really are the most unusual since records began.

Still, we can rely on some things - fog covered the Tyne in Newcastle today, as the rest of the country braced itself for the unexpected.

So far this year, the driest spring in more than a century has given way to the wettest April to June on record as forecasters struggle to figure out what will happen next.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz29kvJ7l60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Difference is the weird weather just keeps on coming. I'll stick my neck out and say we'll have snowy cold winters more now, more dry warm springs and more unsettled summers. Not every year, but more often. More floods, stronger winds.

Why? Cus we are influencing the whole planet's weather systems now due to the melting ice, and the heat we generate.

Probably more than half of you will disagree with me. I don't know how to do a poll on here. Maybe someone could ask that question below for me? Are our cold winters and poor unsettled summers due to our influence on the climate, or just a natural variable?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

Indian Summer As UK's Weird Weather Continues

Parts of the UK are expected to enjoy an 'Indian summer', as the country's year of weird weather continues.

Temperatures of up to 18C are forecast for the later part of next week, far higher than the month's average of 13C.

The unseasonable weather follows a year that has seen some of the biggest fluctuations in rainfall on record.

A drought affected large swathes of England during the spring, prompting a number of hosepipe bans.

But that gave way to weeks of torrential downpours in some regions, with a series of floods during the summer months.

Sky News meteorologist Chris England said: "It's been a year of extremes in many respects.

"It was a very dry spring, but the summer turned out to be a very wet one.

"However, if we take May, for example, the first half was very cool and dull, but it turned hot and sunny at the end."

He said the weather would be much warmer than normal during the last days of October.

"We are now in for a very mild period and temperatures will be unseasonably high during the course of next week, at around 17 or 18C.

"After many parts of the country experienced frost over recent weeks, that will make it almost the classic definition of an 'Indian summer'.

"But it will not get anywhere near as warm as the first weekend of October last year, when it reached around 30C."

Hosepipe bans were lifted in June after being imposed after months of dry weather in April.

The country has since been hit by a succession of floods, including one that saw a young couple drown as in North Wales last month as they tried to save their pet dog.

http://news.sky.com/story/999901/indian-summer-as-uks-weird-weather-continues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
:p Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Difference is the weird weather just keeps on coming. I'll stick my neck out and say we'll have snowy cold winters more now, more dry warm springs and more unsettled summers. Not every year, but more often. More floods, stronger winds.

Why? Cus we are influencing the whole planet's weather systems now due to the melting ice, and the heat we generate.

Probably more than half of you will disagree with me. I don't know how to do a poll on here. Maybe someone could ask that question below for me? Are our cold winters and poor unsettled summers due to our influence on the climate, or just a natural variable?

More likely the -nao.

Posted

BITTER ARCTIC BLAST ON THE WAY

A BLAST of cold air from the Arctic may send temperatures plunging to -18C in some areas, forecasters claim.Experts said winter could roar in as soon as next weekend, bringing freezing winds and widespread snow.

The North is braced for snow by the end of October while the rest of the country is likely to get a dusting early next month.

Jim Dale, of British Weather Services, said: “We are looking at a colder than average winter starting early, possibly as soon as next weekend.

“We have the potential for an Indian summer next week, and then the complete opposite in a matter of days. This winter below -18C (0.5F) is not an unlikely prediction.â€

Next week our topsy-turvy weather could send temperatures higher than 70F (21C) by Tuesday due to a blast of hot air from Europe.

Netweather forecaster Paul Michaelwaite said: “Monday is Indian summer territory with highs of up to 22C possible.â€

Exacta Weather’s James Madden added: “November is likely to become progressively colder, with some quite severe frosts in places.

“These cooler periods of weather will be accompanied by further falls of snow across higher ground, and these are also likely to develop across some lower levels of the country at times too.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/353200/Bitter-Arctic-blast-on-the-way

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

-18c Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

has james madden changed his name to dale? Lol.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Jim Dale ...!!!

post-5386-0-64460800-1350736590_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

-18! Pull the other one...

-18c Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

They said this:

“We have the potential for an Indian summer next week, and then the complete opposite in a matter of days. This winter below -18C (0.5F) is not an unlikely prediction.â€

not that -18c will be seen in this upcoming cold spell, somewhere along the lines of this coming winter.

I did see the first sentence though and it just looks to me like the editor of the article has got the wrong end of the stick.

Edited by The watcher
  • Like 1

Posted

THIS IS SNOW JOKE…

BRITAIN will enjoy Indian summer temperatures nudging a record 21C (70F) from tomorrow but snow is expected by Friday.

The unlikely forecast is the latest twist in what has been dubbed Britain’s “strangest-ever†year for weather by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology.

After the worst drought since 1976 and the wettest summer for a century, hot air from the Sahara is expected to blow in red dust and raise temperatures.

But forecasters warned of a “very potent†Arctic blast from Thursday, with snow in the east, north and Wales by Friday.

http://www.dailystar...-is-snow-joke-/

Enjoy the Indian summer while it lasts as forecasters predict first snow next week

Forecasters predicting temperatures to hit 21C next week

African air will deliver Indian Summer temperatures from Monday

But meteorologists fear arctic snap will arrive by Friday

Temperatures could plunge to below zero and bring snow in coming weeks

Temperatures are set to nudged a record breaking 21C from the start of next week as Britain enjoys an Indian summer - but forecasters have warned not to get used to it. The brief spell of unseasonable warmth could precede a polar plunge, bringing England’s first snow of winter by Friday, according to Meteorologists. This year is already Britain’s 'strangest-ever' for weather, the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology said, with the worst drought since 1976 followed by the wettest summer for a century.

But the erratic climate has a few more surprised in store in the coming days, delivering a taste of three seasons in a week - as a golden autumnal weekend is being followed by summer and winter snaps. The Met Office said most parts were having a weekend of long sunny spells once morning fog lifts - perfect for autumn walks amid glorious colours.

Only the cloudier South will see occasional rain tomorrow. African air will deliver Indian Summer temperatures from Monday. With Halloween just a week away, The Weather Channel forecast a 50 per cent chance of topping 20C in the South, nudging the October 23 temperature record of 21.4C at Anglesey, Wales, in 1996.

But forecasters warned of a 'very potent' Arctic plunge from Thursday, with snow in the East, North and Wales by Friday and the South at risk next weekend, the Weather Outlook, WeatherOnline and British Weather Services said. The Met Office claimed it was 'too early' to assess the snow risk - but confirmed colder air would push nights close to freezing in the North.

Days are forecast to reach just 8C in the Midlands and 5C in parts of Scotland.

A colder-than-average winter with 'significant' snow, -18C temperatures and transport disruption is ahead, British Weather Services said this week. Weather Channel forecaster Leon Brown said: 'Temperatures above 20C are rare in late October - but there’s a 50 per cent chance of 20C in the South on Tuesday, close to record levels.' Forecaster Brian Gaze of The Weather Outlook said: 'Enjoy the warmth but make sure you’ve got your winter woolies close at hand. 'Forecast models show a very potent cold blast by October standards, with snow as far south as Wales - and I wouldn’t rule out snow in the South by next weekend.'

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz29vmyZdbb

Posted

Scenes from Red October: Magical pictures show the full beauty of autumn (and as temperatures could hit 20C, it will be warm enough to enjoy it)

The Met Weather Office said London and the south east will enjoy the hottest weather with temperatures soaring to a very warm 20 degrees centigrade on Monday and Tuesday, provided cloud lifts.

The rest of England and Wales will also enjoy the warm spell with temperatures hovering in the mid teens, although forecasters say it will stay cloudy.

The Met Office described how rain carrying dust from the Sahara stains cars when it falls.

'Where there has been rain in the southeast there has been red dust brought down with it. When the rain dries off it leaves a red residue,' a spokeswoman said.

'This could last until the early part of the week.'

Temperatures are then likely to plummet to around 8C in the Midlands and 6C in Scotland.

This year has already brought some of the most bizarre weather ever seen in this country, with the worst drought since 1976 followed by the wettest summer for a century.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz29wydpmqz

Posted

Thick fog causes airport delays and cancellations - as forecasters warn of 'blood rain' at Halloween

• Fog descends on the parts of the country halting flights across England and Europe
  • Met Office has issued severe weather warning for today and tomorrow
  • Every inbound flight to Heathrow Airport in London delayed, while many cancelled
  • Weather is predicted to turn unusually warm this week before temperatures drop to freezing point
  • Red rain expected to fall in time for Halloween
Heavy fog blanketed the country this morning causing severe disruptions at airports across England and Europe. More than 80 inbound and outbound flights were cancelled at Heathrow Airport this morning, with every inbound flight and many outbound flights delayed as pilots battle with viability problems. London City Airport also reported disruption while Newcastle Airport was forced to cancel flights because of the weather.

The affects of the heavy fog was felt across Europe, including in Poland where planes due to land at Warsaw airports were redirected to neighbouring cities or were forced to wait for the fog to temporarily dissipate before landing, airport authorities said.

The Met Office has issued a 17-hour severe weather alert for today and tomorrow int he South, Midlands and North of England as visibility drops to 50metres on hills because of the fog. Famous skylines across the capital were totally obscured by the thick fog, but the weather is expected to warm up before a cold snap greets the country by the end of the week. Continuing this year's pattern of wacky weather, it could also bring 'blood rain' to our shores - rain carrying red dust from the Sahara desert in time for Halloween.

London City said this morning: ‘Due to low visibility this morning, flights to and from London City Airport are experiencing disruptions. ‘Passengers are advised to contact their airlines for more information regarding their flight status.’ Freezing arctic winds are set to send temperatures plummeting at the end of the week, with snow forecast in the north of England and Scotland by next weekend. The Met Weather Office said London and the south east will enjoy the hottest weather with temperatures soaring to a very warm 20 degrees centigrade on Monday and Tuesday, provided cloud lifts.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2A2GywkDG