Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

Did Paul really say this or is this paraphrased? I'm not saying that it isn't true, I'm just wondering whether he was spoken to at all and if so was he taken out of context like the daily mail usually do?

Netweather forecaster Paul Michaelwaite has also predicted ‘widespread’ snowfall as early as November.

He told the Daily Express: ‘Over the past four years November snow has not been rare at all, and with temperatures below the average there is the chance of some widespread falls.’

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Looking at signals or indications to october its going to be cold or very cold later in the month, i say there is a fair chance that precipitation could get involved in this cold spell(the taster of whats to come)and this potentially falling as snow over the Northern hills, but it could fall at lower levels further North and there is the risk this could shift South, more likely november due to the higher risk of cold air digging South and turning the bands of ppn to sleet or wet snow or even snow, i would expect october holds snowfall for northern hills, the signs are of below average temperatures for most and this means a higher risk of early snowfall.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

You have to laugh don't you. Im not going to say he didn't get, for example, parts of last winter correct - but then again just about everyone did.

But when we get to January/February, lets see what one of the 'gaggle of would-be forecasters' said:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winter-forecast;sess=

Hmmm so whats being said is essentially winter becoming less severe as it progresses

Now having both got December right (again in fairness to piers he did boldly claim it would be the coldest, although the 'red warnings' that he so boldly talked about didn't exactly come to fruition http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=286&c=5), and as we know the net weather forecast had winter fairly spot on, surely Piers must have gotten the remainder of winter correct too....ohh no wait:

http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=298&c=5

I wouldn't have such a problem with Piers if he wasn't on a constant campaign to rubbish every other forecaster in the known universe other than himself. I'm sure there is something to his technique (though clearly as with many forecast techniques there is still a lot of polishing to do), and if he simply advised the public of his 'warnings' and carried on with his business he might have a bit more respect, but all he seems to be after is a bit of publicity surrounding his forecasts when others are stealing the limelight (despite the fact that I'm sure it is likely to have been the media contacting Paul for comment, for example, and other forecast snippets such as those of James Madden have simply been taken from his site).

I wish any forecaster the best of luck, but Piers comes across like a spoiled brat - if his potato prints (forecasts) aren't getting enough attention, he will stamp his feet and throw a tantrum until someone notice's his potato prints and says they're better. He's the first to self publicise when he gets something right, but I don't see much of him in the general media when he gets it very wrong.

And just to finish - don't you just love people who write arrogantly about themselves in the third-person:

"First Up" said Piers Corbyn of Weather Action, world-leaders in long range weather forecasting - who unlike all others have independently proven significant skill

I would like to know who was doing this independent verification - perhaps a trip to specsavers is in order

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

Love the line "It appears that insufficient attention was paid to stratospheric winds in this period"

Surely the skill of forecasting is about the weighting of various factors and that weighting must be consistent ?

Posted

To be though, Netweather have cocked up many a forecast in their time (notably this summer, of course).

So let's not get too high and mighty over the Daily Mail's output.

• Like 1

Posted

Did Paul really say this or is this paraphrased? I'm not saying that it isn't true, I'm just wondering whether he was spoken to at all and if so was he taken out of context like the daily mail usually do?

Someone from the Express did call (which is where the Mail took it from). I was asked about the possibility of snow in October, which I said was always fairly unlikely away from the hills and mountains of the north, then I was asked about November and I said something along the lines of "Snow in November hasn't been rare in recent years, so should temperatures be below average (as we're currently forecasting) then more widespread snow is a possibility".

So it's close enough to what I said but perhaps missing a little bit of context which is reasonable as you can't expect them to quote you word for word when you've effectively just had a 5 minute chat on the phone. In the scheme of things I think the original articles quotes were fair enough, particularly as they were pushing for info on the winter and did accurately quote that it was too far ahead to be looking at yet, which is quite unusual!

To be though, Netweather have cocked up many a forecast in their time (notably this summer, of course).

So let's not get too high and mighty over the Daily Mail's output.

And yep that's true enough, but I think the original poster was pointing out that Piers bragging about being the only long range forecaster to get anything right (or proven to be right) is a bit rich!

Posted

PC isn't happy!

http://twitpic.com/6o44v2

Posted Image

I guess if you keep shouting and do it loudly enough, some people will eventually start to believe the Corbyn hype. Personally his rubbish has just made me deaf.

Also, would someone have a word with him about presentation please? His articles appear like a badly produced Parish Magazine - but without the interesting tittle-tattle.....

Posted

Also, would someone have a word with him about presentation please? His articles appear like a badly produced Parish Magazine - but without the interesting tittle-tattle.....

It's not only his written presentation that leaves much to be desired - take a look at some of his cringey video presentation.

I physically cringe at the random use of the BBC local news theme for transitions. I struggle to see how anybody working within the professional media could ever take him seriously. I certainly wouldn't be subscribing to his so called 'professional' forecasts based upon the freely available content he puts out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

It's not only his written presentation that leaves much to be desired - take a look at some of his cringey video presentation.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKMYgP3of4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I physically cringe at the random use of the BBC local news theme for transitions. I struggle to see how anybody working within the professional media could ever take him seriously. I certainly wouldn't be subscribing to his so called 'professional' forecasts based upon the freely available content he puts out.

I have never seen a picture of him before.

I excpected a mid 30s man with slick black hair and a cocky look.................how disappointed am I! :)

He does look slightly insane though! Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

I have never seen a picture of him before. I excpected a mid 30s man with slick black hair and a cocky look.................how disappointed am I! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

'There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?'

Posted

PC isn't happy!

Posted Image

This 'gaggle of wannabes' gets it right alot more of the time than he does, what a hypocrite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

This 'gaggle of wannabes' gets it right alot more of the time than he does, what a hypocrite!

Lol.

I love the fact that during October there will be at least "2 storm periods". Errrrrm, is that not the norm? Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

PC isn't happy!

Posted Image

Not so much spot the ball as spot the hypocrite who was so hopeless that even the Express have given up using his forecasts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

and as we know the net weather forecast had winter fairly spot on....

and to add to that from the 2010/11 winter forecast

and very likely dry spring to follow.

Posted

http://www.express.c...HEATWAVE-FOR-UK

The hot spell has been dubbed a mini “Indian Summer” by weathermen who say that high pressure could cause sustained sunny weather and sultry conditions to continue until next weekend....... However, experts say the rest of the autumn will be unusually cold before another big winter freeze..

Seems like the way it could go, thats the indications!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Why is everything about weather reported in the papers always 'mini'?

It's always 'mini' tornado....'mini' blizzard.....'mini' indian summer....'mini' tax rises.....'mini' banker scandel...well maybe not the last two, but you get my drift.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We've issued a clarification on the recent stories of snow this Autumn etc

http://www.netweathe...oryid=816;sess=

Same old story sadly with the press these day's, they get a story and mix it up to make it an Headline grabbing front page story, to see "Substancial" snow fall at low levels in October is very rare indeed.

Posted

I reckon somebody at the Express has meteorology as a hobby, maybe the editor? It seems 9/10 it is the Daily Express with these wild headlines based just on long range forecasts. The chances of November and December being similar to last year to me is pretty remote although December over the last decade or so has proved to be the coldest month anomoly wise.

Edited by Timmy H
  • Like 1

Posted

People should simply ignore the headlines in the newspapers - they latch onto one sensational forecast and make a real meal of it. The Express does it time and time again- it is the worst culprit, I remember back in 2005 when they were all saying the same thing, that winter turned out to be very average, yet even local garages and kwikfit had the newspaper headlines, saying possible worse winter for 30 years etc.... I note the express are only now mentioning the very warm weather for next week, this wasn't mentioned a couple of days ago-v. shortsighted..

Posted

I reckon somebody at the Express has meteorology as a hobby, maybe the editor? It seems 9/10 it is the Daily Express with these wild headlines based just on long range forecasts. The chances of November and December being similar to last year to me is pretty remote although December over the last decade or so has proved to be the coldest month anomoly wise.

I wont ask why you think that, but i can say that theres a higher risk of a severe cold month. i think the cold spells are colder and this pattern is not going to change as far as i see it for a long time, for example i dont expect the jet stream to end up in its normal place any time soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK IS GOING TO BE HOTTER THAN HAWAII

http://www.express.c...ter-than-Hawaii

82°F UK warms to Hawaiian heatwave

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3835494/82F-UK-warms-to-Hawaiian-heatwave.html

Edited by Gavin D