Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

and to think that i got myself some mittens from pound base because i read the daily express and believed their 100 years of snow headlines

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Climate change: Last four years are 'world's hottest'

The year 2018 is on course to be the fourth warmest on record, according to the World Meteorological Organization. It says that the global average temperature for the first 10 months of the year was nearly 1C above the levels between 1850-1900. The State of the Climate report says that the 20 warmest years on record have been in the past 22 years, with the 2015-2018 making up the top four. If the trend continues, the WMO says temperatures may rise by 3-5C by 2100.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46374141

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Nice and toasty then

Posted

John Hammonds monthly forecast

Opposing forces in the atmosphere

Several ‘battles’ between mild and cold

Increasing chance of snow later in period

The full forecast is available for subscribers only here: https://weathertrending.com/2018/11/30/john-hammond-month-weather-merry-christmas/

Posted
On 29/11/2018 at 12:20, Summer Sun said:

Weatherbell begs to differ on the scale of 2018 heat - the global anomaly for the year to date is only +0.256C so not a particularly hot year.

Weatherbell seems more in line with this year's nearer average ice winters seen for the Canadian Arctic and Baltic Seas and ice in the Northern Black Sea plus earlier than average starts to autumnal freeze up in the Northwest Passage (did not open), Hudson Bay (ice breakers needed later this summer), Great Lakes, St Lawrence Gulf, Baltic Sea and Caspian Sea this year and not forgetting some exceptional cold weather like snow in the Sahara and Kalahari this year. I note the map in the link has UK and Texas warmer than average. I would dispute both of these. I have family in Texas where the cold fronts have been making it further south this year, causing unusual temperature swings (affecting my sister's rheumatism and her allotment!), high lake levels and flooding problems. It's been cooler than average if anything. I agree with Weatherbell that the UK has been about average and not warm. (Warm south and cool Scotland with me in middle.) The summer was great but the fairly hot days (never above 29C at my nearest Met station so certainly not our hottest, behind at least 1976 and 2006) did not follow through with such hot nights, especially further north, and Feb and March were frigid. I reference Weatherbell constantly and have never been able to fault it's UK and Texas anomalies but I often find the NOAA and WMO maps seem to report too hot for them and occasionally I find their monthly maps manage to lose some cold spots of unusual weather elsewhere, e.g. the mid year Peruvian cold snap which Weatherbell got. Weatherbell shows warming over the satellite era but rather less than the sources the climate conferences seem to like. I can't say for certain but the the differences seem to be getting bigger and stand out more when i check. I'm finding more and more odd hot areas on NOAA and WMO from month to month when I bother to check them. (And so increasingly don't.) I find them hard to believe. I suggest anyone else interested should compare Weatherbell to the climate conference favourites over time to form their own opinion rather than take my word for it.

ncep_cfsr_t2m_anom_ytd.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Two recent headlines that may be if interest.

4D421FBC-D5EE-4DF5-89FB-26F059084CB5.jpeg

D3C42292-BA78-40F5-88A0-446B0EDA5464.jpeg

Posted

BBC monthly outlook

Summary

Unsettled and mild weather to come

Monday 3 December—Sunday 9 December

Wet and breezy but often mild in the south.

Cloudy at times with showers and some longer outbreaks of rain. Monday is expected to have a mixture of bright spells and banks of cloud with showers in places. There is a risk of some heavy showers over southern areas of Britain while northern Scotland will have a risk of more prolonged rain and upland snow in the morning.

After a chilly but bright start for many, Tuesday is expected to see rain and brisk winds spreading north-eastwards through the day and into the night with a risk of hill snow for a time over northern England and in Scotland.

The remainder of this week is likely to see changeable conditions with further rain spreading from the west at times. The south looks set to be mild. However, there are chances of somewhat brighter but chillier conditions spreading from the north-west next weekend.

Monday 10 December—Sunday 16 December

Very wet at times but generally mild.

In the second full week of December, we are likely to see a return of rain and brisk winds as low pressure areas re-emerge from the Atlantic. Generally, a lot of cloud is likely at times with outbreaks of rain spreading from west to east across the UK. Temperatures are expected to be mostly above the seasonal average. However, Scotland could be cold enough at times for some occasional snow mixed-in over hills. Indications are for wettest conditions to be over western areas of the UK, where high rainfall totals could produce local flooding. It is also likely to be windy at times, particularly over western areas of the UK.

There appears to be only a slight risk of colder easterly winds developing for a time around the middle of the week. Most likely, though, is for a generally mild, wet and breezy pattern.

Monday 17 December—Sunday 30 December

Wet, windy and mild.

Indications are that the second half of the month will be characterised by wet, windy and mild conditions with a strong jet stream moving in from the Atlantic at times. The jet stream is a ribbon of strong winds in the upper atmosphere which helps to drive in weather systems that bring wet and windy conditions to the UK. Western areas of the UK are expected to see the most rain. There are indications that rainfall could be well-above normal for December, bringing a risk of flooding.

Strong winds appear likely at times, perhaps most likely towards the end of the month. However, the positioning of the jet stream will dictate where the wettest conditions will be. There are chances that the jet stream lifts northwards for a time before Christmas to bring a brief drier period of weather to southern areas. After Christmas, there appears to be some risk that the jet stream drifts further south, bringing a risk of colder conditions into northern parts of the UK.

Anyone hoping for a white Christmas could end up being disappointed. However, it is still far too early to say for certain what weather we will have on 25th December. Even in some of the mild Decembers of the past few decades, short-lived cold spells did crop up and even produced short spells of snow. A green Christmas is not guaranteed...yet.

Next Update

We will take another look at the month ahead to see if we are still on track for a mostly wet, windy and mild December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook?ns_linkname=news_central&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_weather

Posted

Met Office contingency planner for December to February. A colder than average winter considered more likely than a mild winter.

0E3F5E06-877A-4EF2-9377-6040A2AB0BC1.jpeg

Posted
9 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

lAt least the BBC  mention chance of Easterly winds mid month,though only slight risk,they say.Time will tell.

Yes, this is why im so anxious the azores high moves in and blocks off the Atlantic, beeb mentioning wind rain and possible flooding, i dont think anyone in their right mind would want that.

My guard is up while the pros are mentioning flooding.

Posted

Latest BBC forecast presented by Darren Bett going for colder air to win out. A very large area of high pressure cementing itself over Scandinavia, pulling in increasingly cold conditions next week. Air coming from a long way east.

85784648_BBCweather.thumb.png.0117780594a376be502dd1579c3ef767.png

For the time being, cold and wintry at times for northern areas. Mild/very mild at times for the south.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Latest BBC forecast presented by Darren Bett going for colder air to win out. A very large area of high pressure cementing itself over Scandinavia, pulling in increasingly cold conditions next week. Air coming from a long way east.

For the time being, cold and wintry at times for northern areas. Mild/very mild at times for the south.

Brilliant news!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Brilliant news!!

and from the biggest mild ramper the Beeb has to offer!...tears on his pillow tonight

Posted
1 hour ago, Optimus Prime said:

Mild for the south? As in this week rather than next?

Posted

Shock as Chinese cities covered by bizarre YELLOW SNOW

CHINA has been covered in a blanket of eerie “yellow snow” due to plummeting temperatures mixing with a huge sandstorm.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1053833/china-weather-yellow-snow-Xinjiang-freezing-temperatures-sandstorm-He-Qing

Posted

looks like that bbc monthly forecast is already busted.Hope they admit they got it completely wrong in next update.Weren't they also going for extremely mild weather in Dec in their previous update? Maybe they might as well give up with these monthly forecasts soon.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC monthly outlook

Summary

Potentially stormy and wet for Christmas period

Wednesday 5 December—Sunday 9 December

Wet and breezy but often mild in the south.

The rest of this week looks to be unsettled with plenty of rain and cloud at times, and some breezy conditions mainly in the west. Wednesday will have a wet start for many, with a warm front bringing rain to most of England and Wales. Through the afternoon this rain will spread north into northern England and Scotland, while the cold front moves into the south-west. Rain will begin to clear from the west in the evening and overnight, with areas of mist or fog possible. It will be a mild night for most.

Thursday will see another frontal system moving into the UK from the west, bringing another round of widespread rain for most. Winds will be stronger with this front, especially for western and southern coasts. Overnight Thursday into Friday will see yet another frontal system move across the UK, bringing more wet and windy conditions for most. By Friday morning things are looking mostly dry for the south and east, with showers in the west. A low over Scotland will bring plenty of rain throughout the day, with occasional heavy bursts in the north.

The weekend continues the unsettled trend, with Saturday looking like the drier and brighter of the two days, as another frontal system moves through Sunday bringing rain for most and strong wind gusts in the west.

Monday 10 December—Sunday 16 December

Becoming cooler but drier, with showers midweek.

In the second full week of December, high pressure pushing north into Scandinavia will bring some cooler easterly winds for the UK with occasional showers in the east. Generally, a lot of cloud is likely at times while some of the showers in the east could turn wintry over high terrain. The best of any sunshine is likely to be in the west and northwest, particularly in Scotland. Temperatures are expected to be mostly below the seasonal average, but with a recovery to near-average temperatures possible over the weekend.

Indications are for wettest conditions to be over eastern areas of the UK midweek, with scattered showers drifting in on the chilly easterly breeze. The moors and other hilly spots will likely see wintry showers at times. It is also likely to be rather breezy across eastern and central areas, with some biting, chilly winds along the east coast. There is a slight risk of some of these wintry showers reaching low-lying areas in the east, particularly on Thursday. There is still a slight risk of a generally mild, wet and breezy pattern if the high pressure shifts further east into Russia, or fails to build strongly into Scandinavia. This would lead to more mild and unsettled weather with storms moving in from the west.

Monday 17 December—Sunday 30 December

Unsettled weather returns bringing mild air.

Indications are that the second half of the month will be characterised by wet, windy and mild conditions with a strong jet stream moving in from the Atlantic at times. The jet stream is a ribbon of strong winds in the upper atmosphere and helps to drive in weather systems that bring wet and windy conditions to the UK. Again, western areas of the UK are expected to be the wettest. There are indications that rainfall could be well-above normal for December, bringing a risk of flooding. Strong winds appear likely at times, perhaps most likely towards the end of the month.

However, the positioning of the jet stream will dictate where the wettest conditions will be. There are chances that the jet stream lifts northwards for a time before Christmas to bring a brief drier period of weather to southern areas. After Christmas, there appears to be some risk that the jet stream drifts further south, bringing a risk of colder conditions into northern parts of the UK. Anyone hoping for a white Christmas could end up being disappointed as milder air from the Atlantic will keep temperatures around or just above average. However, it is still far too early to say for certain what weather we will have on 25th December. Even in some of the mild Decembers of the past few decades, short-lived cold spells did crop up and even produced short spells of snow. A green Christmas is still not guaranteed ... although a white Christmas is looking increasingly less likely.

Next Update

We will have an updated look at what this waving jet stream may have in store for the holiday celebrations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook

Posted

they updated the forecast from Saturday pretty quickly  to include the easterly outbreak i see lol,short lived though it looks now.