Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Goodbye winter chill: Britain set for MAJOR HEAT SPELL as hot air sweeps in next week

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/712206/UK-weather-hot-spell-heatwave-September-continent

• Like 1

Posted

Another load of hot air from the express and their tame doomsday forecaster  If you can be bothered to read the article the met office say it will be a little above average in the south at around 20C.  From my research even an overly optimistic forecast would not predict above 25C which is shown in the Fantasy charts at around 5th October. That would be impressive enough. The mention of the met office is an attempt to seem credible. Then the rubbish part about 30C which has never been reached in October ( ok 29;9 in the heat pool that is Gravesend on 1 Oct 2011 ).     Let's see how accurate the express is ..

Yep I agree I've dumped the express link

Edited by crazysnowcatz4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Please don't click the Express links.

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest I think it is worth a complaint to the press complaints people. What they do is highly irresponsible. For example my workplace is arranging an event for young people at around the time this heat wave is meant to hit. Based on the that being true , we would probably choose to postpone  it as we wouldn't want people getting heat stroke. Then we could well end up doing it in worse weather.

Secondly they cry wolf so often that one day they will report on a serious weather story that is going to happen and no one is going to believe them or more reputable sources such as netweather or the met office.

Posted

I wish we could all stop posting their links on here to be honest. They are nothing more than clickbait and as weather enthusiasts we should be doing all that we can to reduce their publicity, not increase it. I agree entirely with you @crazysnowcatz4. They make a mockery of meteorology and just add fuel to the "forecasters always get it wrong" fallacy.

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I wish we could all stop posting their links on here to be honest. They are nothing more than clickbait and as weather enthusiasts we should be doing all that we can to reduce their publicity, not increase it. I agree entirely with you @crazysnowcatz4. They make a mockery of meteorology and just add fuel to the "forecasters always get it wrong" fallacy.

Is there a reason you cannot make it site policy that no Express or other similar guff is posted. I've asked before but never got an answer.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Is there a reason you cannot make it site policy that no Express or other similar guff is posted. I've asked before but never got an answer.

Not my call I'm afraid, I'd certainly welcome it though.

• Like 1

Posted

Thing is if you have a section called weather in  the media , and perhaps curious but less informed people post , should we not be able to warn them about the rubbish that the express and others spout. In my job I have 2 choices when someone makes an erroneous statement , I either ignore it, so as not to give it further creedance and not to fan the flames, or I have to put people right by stating the facts as hoping to persuade them without being condescending.

It is probably is best to debunk their crack pot theories, otherwise and snake oil forecasters , there are some excellent articles in the Guardian , which really tear them apart especially some of  the completely fake forecasters they used from PWS in the past for example Emma Pearson who is a hair dressing assistant / model,  Kelly Smart "an egg donor, a hot date, a sublet property broker in Sweden, a lawyer, an expert on snoring, eyebrow threading" and Charlotte Haines who's only qualification seems to be and I quote " a pretty blonde woman "

So I guess it is best to make people aware of the facts..

• Like 1

Posted

How about this for a suggestion: We just ban the Express entirely...?

• Like 2

Posted

Problem is rational normal people who have an educated brain read this then I start to laugh in the office and have to explain to them that this same guy has been rolling this out for as long as I can remember.

We would love to see it although some seasoned posters on this site do have an interesting response to 63...... being yes it was cold but often snow lay on ground buto wasn't backed up by snowfall after snowfall... even my dad said it was cold and few houses had central heating in those days but snow wasn't as heavy and continuous but it did stay on the ground for a long time. 

Posted

The Express have issued their annual load of Rao-written drivel for the winter. It's not a rule of the forum, but I would strongly encourage everyone not to post a link to it here. Just a personal plea. As an alternative, here is Liam Dutton's Tweet to Nathan Rao, with a screen shot of the "forecast":

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

haha If we got snow in 6 weeks even i'd be surprised, but so many people get pulled into it, in fact I expect any day now i'll get a re-post on facebook with some excited comments. 

At least people are happy to expose it for what it is.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Alicol said:

Saw this article in the Guardian and wondered if some far more expert and wiser posters would like to comment on it?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/25/die-cast-wet-stormy-winter-weatherwatch

Worrying news that, the climate is becoming very unpredictable.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Worrying news that, the climate is becoming very unpredictable.

I think it links into the article from Monbiot that Summer Sun posted yesterday re having to be proactive instead of reactive for those prone to flooding and being able to plan ahead. I have no idea whether this would be an article with merit in the view of metrologists, but I'd like to know if there's any substance to the topic. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Alicol said:

I think it links into the article from Monbiot that Summer Sun posted yesterday re having to be proactive instead of reactive for those prone to flooding and being able to plan ahead. I have no idea whether this would be an article with merit in the view of metrologists, but I'd like to know if there's any substance to the topic. 

I did hear that the QBO was not acting as expected, a while back. One thing is for sure, there will be some unexpected twists in our weather this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

I did hear that the QBO was not acting as expected, a while back. One thing is for sure, there will be some unexpected twists in our weather this winter.

I'm nowhere near able to make sense of the science, but have looked up the experts mentioned for more information and their concerns seem valid. As a self-certified 'lurker' as I'm far too scared to post on a subject as I'm a rank amateur at best to profer any comment - many thanks for replying :)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alicol said:

I'm nowhere near able to make sense of the science, but have looked up the experts mentioned for more information and their concerns seem valid. As a self-certified 'lurker' as I'm far too scared to post on a subject as I'm a rank amateur at best to profer any comment - many thanks for replying :)

That's okay, i'm a complete rank amateur, but have noticed that things never go quite as predicted weather wise. So something unexpected might off set the stormy winter prediction.

Edited by lassie23

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

That's okay, i'm a complete rank amateur, but have noticed that things never go quite as predicted weather wise.

I think I rate far lower! However I appreciate the difficulty in forecasting, especially when it's for months ahead. Today I'm under a yellow warning for rain and it's been incessant as predicted but the response to events that are serious even when forewarned just show the lack of investment and cuts to the services that have to deal with the criticism but no solutions offered. My query is if the article has triggered any response and what, if any, that acknowledgement would be. The next time I see a politician in Hunter wellies trotting out 'lessons learned' with no intention of doing so I think I'll throw a fit.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Alicol said:

I think I rate far lower! However I appreciate the difficulty in forecasting, especially when it's for months ahead. Today I'm under a yellow warning for rain and it's been incessant as predicted but the response to events that are serious even when forewarned just show the lack of investment and cuts to the services that have to deal with the criticism but no solutions offered. My query is if the article has triggered any response and what, if any, that acknowledgement would be. The next time I see a politician in Hunter wellies trotting out 'lessons learned' with no intention of doing so I think I'll throw a fit.

You must have been hit hard during winter 2013-2014:(

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

You must have been hit hard during winter 2013-2014:(

That winter should be put in the swear filter.

• Like 2