Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

The Met Office doesn't have a great record with these sort of predictions, who remembers back in 2003 after that summers record breaking heat that we (in the uk) should expect those sort of temperatures (100+F) to occur in 1 in every 3 summers....  15 summers later and it aint happened again, so whatever long range models they use I for one would not take them too seriously............

(M)isguided(E)veryone(T)oday

Posted

I wouldn't take the Met Office short-term predictions let alone the long-term! Take now for instance, 10% chance of rain in Mansfield today apparently. Currently raining, has been for an hour and will do for at least 3/4 more hours looking at rain radar. Abysmal!

Posted

The Met Office doesn't have a great record with these sort of predictions, who remembers back in 2003 after that summers record breaking heat that we (in the uk) should expect those sort of temperatures (100+F) to occur in 1 in every 3 summers....  15 summers later and it aint happened again, so whatever long range models they use I for one would not take them too seriously............

Funny I must have gone into a coma and slept a few decades to know the outcome of those sort of predictions.

However sometimes I think it can be a bit misleading when people say '1 in 3 summers as hot as 2003', for example, as they are usually referring to mean summer temps (i.e ~2C higher than the current norm), which doesn't necessarily mean it will reach 100F+ every 3 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Any chance of a link to that forecast? If it was made in or after 2003, there should be proof of it somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Meteorologists have predicted that Britain will face its worst winter in over 50 years as a result of El Niño. 

From the same article above:

The specific consequences of El Niño for the UK are, however, much less clear.

:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

It said 10% chance. That doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. You are just unlucky.

This just shows the problem people have with this method of forecasting. They don't know how to interpret the numbers.

I know what you are saying, but 10% chance of showers does not equate to 4 hours of persistent and at times heavy non-stop rain. And the written forecast said no rain, only for Lincolnshire. Mansfield is not in Lincs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Apparently summer is over for 10 years

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/464700/Britain-summer-weather-atlantic-chill-cold-until-2025

:rolleyes:

Oh and the front page of the Express tomorrow (Wednesday 16th) is fairly typical of them 'Killer winter on the way' 'Freak weather system to bring heavy snow'

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Incase you haven't seen the Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3234605/Brace-cold-winter-Forecasters-warm-recent-bad-weather-start-powerful-El-Nino-phenomenon-1950.html

They have some pretty pictures as well.

And there is a bit about a Tornado in Northhampton yesterday.

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted

Surprised that nobody has posted the following link a few days ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11864067/Britain-braced-for-long-snowy-winter-as-strongest-El-Nino-since-1950-expected.html

Yes, the Telegraph, which has been going remorselessly downhill and down-market for a couple of years has obviously decided that there is no reason to leave ludicrous weather prediction stories to the Express, especially when it sells a lot of copy.

The article is a million miles away from justifying the headline and I note that on the web-page, no comments are allowed!

The closest it gets to justifying the prediction of a cold winter is (my emphasis):

"“The latest indication suggests [El Nino] may be starting to move westwards and cooling near the South American coast,†said Leon Brown, Chief Meteorologist at The Weather Channel. "This is then called a Modiki type El Nino with warm sea surface temperatures in the mid Pacific.

“If that happens then the impact may shift the jet stream and give us a greater risk of a colder negative North Atlantic Oscillation this winter, which usually brings us colder winters.â€

So, er, El Nino MAY shift and IF it does so, it MAY shift the jet stream this USUALLY gives us colder winters.  Even then, a "colder winter" does not equal long snowy winter!!!

So, if on if on if and then a leap to long and snowy winter.  And note that the Met Office won't even go that far, simply saying that the effect, if any, on UK weather, is "unclear".

Re the Express and this kind of coverage generally: presumably one year, it will actually be correct in the way that a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day - and then they will be crowing about it, conveniently forgetting that every previous time they ran the story, it was wrong.  Not quite clear whether or when the apologies for totally erroneous news stories are featured.

I wish the media would grow up - but instead the Express infection is spreading.

• Like 3

Posted

Surprised that nobody has posted the following link a few days ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11864067/Britain-braced-for-long-snowy-winter-as-strongest-El-Nino-since-1950-expected.html

Yes, the Telegraph, which has been going remorselessly downhill and down-market for a couple of years has obviously decided that there is no reason to leave ludicrous weather prediction stories to the Express, especially when it sells a lot of copy.

The article is a million miles away from justifying the headline and I note that on the web-page, no comments are allowed!

The closest it gets to justifying the prediction of a cold winter is (my emphasis):

"“The latest indication suggests [El Nino] may be starting to move westwards and cooling near the South American coast,†said Leon Brown, Chief Meteorologist at The Weather Channel. "This is then called a Modiki type El Nino with warm sea surface temperatures in the mid Pacific.

“If that happens then the impact may shift the jet stream and give us a greater risk of a colder negative North Atlantic Oscillation this winter, which usually brings us colder winters.â€

So, er, El Nino MAY shift and IF it does so, it MAY shift the jet stream this USUALLY gives us colder winters.  Even then, a "colder winter" does not equal long snowy winter!!!

So, if on if on if and then a leap to long and snowy winter.  And note that the Met Office won't even go that far, simply saying that the effect, if any, on UK weather, is "unclear".

Re the Express and this kind of coverage generally: presumably one year, it will actually be correct in the way that a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day - and then they will be crowing about it, conveniently forgetting that every previous time they ran the story, it was wrong.  Not quite clear whether or when the apologies for totally erroneous news stories are featured.

I wish the media would grow up - but instead the Express infection is spreading.

And it's not even factually correct.  They intend to refer to the winter of 10/11 not 9/10.  As we all know, even that winter was pretty benign save for the December which was anything but.

Posted

Here comes Tropical Storm Ida: UK to be lashed by gales and heavy rain in just 10 DAYS

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/607300/Tropical-Storm-Ida-UK-weather-forecast-gales-heavy-rain-in-10-DAYS

Edited by Summer Sun
Please don't copy and paste entire stories from newspapers....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Amazing how the Express take quotes that, if you read them carefully, don't back their sensationalist story and use them to try to back their sensationalist story. For example,

Met Office - “If it does have an influence on the UK it will brush past the northwest of the country,"

Express - Run for your lives!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

We live in an era where things are not allowed to happen as part of a natural cycle of nature.....there has to be an explanation that goes along with it to give us the sense of living in dramatic times....

Why some scientists are worried about a surprisingly cold ‘blob’ in the North Atlantic Ocean 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Amazing how the Express take quotes that, if you read them carefully, don't back their sensationalist story and use them to try to back their sensationalist story. For example,

Met Office - “If it does have an influence on the UK it will brush past the northwest of the country,"

Express - Run for your lives!!!!

Spot on, why I have not wasted a penny on any of these rags for nearly two decades now.

And they wonder why sales are falling? go figure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Meanwhile, The Sun has this to say about the Pope and "disputed, discredited" climate change science...

So the Sun lectures us that people-of-faith are incapable of understanding science, and then goes on to display its own idiocy? Perhaps political propagandists should stay away from science, too? :fool:

Posted

So the Sun lectures us that people-of-faith are incapable of understanding science, and then goes on to display its own idiocy? Perhaps political propagandists should stay away from science, too? :fool:

The climate is constantly changing, over a hundreds of years. I wish these bunker nuts would not bat climate change about like a hot potato. What I believe they are referring to is man made global warming. Two completely different beasts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Meanwhile, The Sun has this to say about the Pope and "disputed, discredited" climate change science...

Straight from the pen of Murdoch. No coincidence that Fox "News" televised a 10 minute diatribe on the same topic.

• Like 3

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The climate is constantly changing, over a hundreds of years. I wish these bunker nuts would not bat climate change about like a hot potato. What I believe they are referring to is man made global warming. Two completely different beasts.

IMO, rising global temperatures are the earth's natural response to increasing levels of atmospheric CO2; the earth being unable to distinguish between natural and unnatural CO2. I don't accept that there really are 'two completely different beasts' at all... :)

Posted

IMO, rising global temperatures are the earth's natural response to increasing levels of atmospheric CO2; the earth being unable to distinguish between natural and unnatural CO2. I don't accept that there really are 'two completely different beasts' at all... :)

Ok, but as humans, we can distinguish the two root causes of CO2 in the atmosphere. As you say, natural and man made. Aside from CO2, there are plenty of other elements which are IMO, worse than CO2 such as NOXs and Ozones. CO2 can be moped up by organic life, these other elements will hang around and cause damage to the environment.

• Like 2

Posted