Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Hear hear W-h

The entire year is likely to be dogged by cold blasts with a washout summer on the way, experts said.

They say a bizarre set of circumstances have come together to drive erratic weather patterns through the year.

It's a pity they couldn't find any of those "experts" to give them a quote.....

Posted

An astrophysicist worth his/her salt wouldn't assume any direct measurable correlation between solar activity and local weather conditions here as they know the mechanisms are not yet properly understood. People who do are giving astrophysicists and meteorology a bad name.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted

Such a shame to read about when people pay for a service that isn't delivering....

Nathan Rao ✔@ExpressNathanFollow

Would be so lovely to have broadband that actually worked. I have to say our BT service is atrocious. @BTCare

sorry to hear that Nathan. And so glad that, in contrast, you offer such great value with your newspaper articles...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/540052/UK-weather-December-forecast-heavy-snow-winter-freeze

Published: 06:00, Wed, November 26, 2014

FREEZING BRITAIN: UK faces SNOWSTORMS and plunging temperatures as ARCTIC December hits

"Long-range forecasters now agree the UK is in the firing line for what could turn out to be the most severe winter in history, and have vehemently refuted the Government’s mild forecasts up until now."

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nathan Rao ✔@ExpressNathanFollow

Would be so lovely to have broadband that actually worked. I have to say our BT service is atrocious. @BTCare

His weather stories are the same as the bit I've put in red

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

2014 confirmed as UK's warmest year on record

5 January 2015 - Provisional full year figures for 2014 show it is the UK's warmest and fourth wettest year in records dating back to 1910.

It is also the warmest year on record in the Central England Temperature series, which dates back to 1659 and is the world's longest running instrumental temperature series.

Warmest year on record

The UK's mean temperature for the year is 9.9 °C, which is 1.1 °C above the long-term (1981-2010) average and beats the previous record of 9.7 °C set in 2006. This year's record means that eight of the UK's top ten warmest years have happened since 2002. Looking in more detail across the UK, it was the warmest year on record for all countries and regions apart from Northern Ireland - which had its joint third warmest year behind 2007 and 2006.

Despite the record breaking warmth, no months through the year saw records for temperature - instead each month was consistently warm, with only August seeing below average temperatures. It was also marginally the warmest year on record in the CET series from 1659 with a mean temperature of 10.93 °C narrowly ahead of the previous record of 10.87 °C set in 2006. The number of air frosts for the UK was also provisionally lowest in a series from 1961.

2014_17_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Map showing 2014 temperatures as a difference to the long term (1981-2010) average.

Fourth wettest year

This year's provisional rainfall total of 1297.1 mm is the fourth highest total on record for the UK in the series dating back to 1910, meaning five of the UK's top six wettest years have happened since 2000. It was also within the 20 wettest years in the England and Wales Precipitation series which dates back to 1766. However, no individual regions had their wettest year on record. A large contribution to the high annual rainfall total came from very wet weather in January and February. May, October and November were also wetter than average and August was especially wet across Northern Scotland. Most other months were drier than average in most areas, and September was the driest in the series from 1910 for the UK.

A quieter year after a very stormy start

The most notable weather events of the year were the winter storms of January and February which brought damaging winds, inland and coastal flooding. In comparison, the rest of the year was relatively quiet. On 10th August ex-hurricane Bertha brought strong winds, heavy rain and flooding to north-east Scotland and a major winter storm affected the north of the UK in early December - notable but not exceptional for the time of year.

Summer 2014 brought some fine weather - particularly in June and July. There were no major heat-waves but several instances of torrential summer downpours causing localised flash-flooding, for example across parts of England on 19 to 20 July. You can explore more about 2014's weather and climate on the Met Office's climate pages.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/Record-UK-temps-2014

Posted

Although the mean CETs for each month are given to onlt one decimal place, do they actually go further?

I ask because, by my calcs on the given montly mean CETs, the average mean CET for the year would be 10.92c not 10.93c as quoted by the Meto

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Although the mean CETs for each month are given to onlt one decimal place, do they actually go further?

I ask because, by my calcs on the given montly mean CETs, the average mean CET for the year would be 10.92c not 10.93c as quoted by the Meto

what's 0.01c between friends :hi:

Posted

Am astrophysicist is someone who uses solar and lunar weather technique type of forecasts rather than using mainstream meteorology, people who do this are maverick forecasters.

You may think I'm being pedantic here but let's be clear, an astrophysicist is someone who studies the physics of the universe, they are not people who uses what goes on in space to make weather predictions on Earth.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't forget that not every month has the same number of days, so a simple mean will not quite give you the annual CET.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't forget that not every month has the same number of days, so a simple mean will not quite give you the annual CET.

Doh!     I had indeed forgotten to take that into account!

My only trouble is, now I do, I get 10.94 and not 10.93c!!!    :)

Posted

Just looked at this century's Annual Mean CETs against the monthly ones taking into account the number of days in each month

Apart from being 0.1C over the top for this year,  I'd also calculate 2013 on the same basis as being 9.61C instead of the 9.56C given as the official...a 0.05c difference!   (even using pure months it's 9.57c)

Yet calculating it taking days into account for every other year  this century give me the same figure as the official

I am enlightened but remain bemused :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Doh!     I had indeed forgotten to take that into account!

My only trouble is, now I do, I get 10.94 and not 10.93c!!!    :)

Have you tried using the daily data?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

As Peter Gibbs surprisingly mentioned Sudden stratospheric warming on Radio 4 today at the start of his broadcast at lunchtime

just found his BBC Explainer video, out today which explains the mention at 1pm

A nice simple explanation for anyone wanting to dip a toe in the Strat. thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20992173?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

You may think I'm being pedantic here but let's be clear, an astrophysicist is someone who studies the physics of the universe, they are not people who uses what goes on in space to make weather predictions on Earth.

Exactly what I though WH :)

• Like 1

Posted

Have you tried using the daily data?

I get 10.95 for 2014...even further out! :)

Posted

Exacta weather Extra is here yes you can now view the weather charts on his site just like these 2 below

7fe32dae0037e092b09aa54ef5f3a8f4.jpg0301891819c0596a105edaabb9cbb0f9.jpg

Anyone who fancies joining must pay £24.99 for a year or £49.99 life time after the first 100 subscribers the prices rise to £49.99 and £199.99 respectively

http://www.exactaweather.com/Exacta_Weather_Extra.html

I wonder if he'll leave those same charts on the home page come 5th Jan when it's 11c, grey and drizzling?

If those charts do verify - I'll subscribe regardless of the discount - cant say fairer than that can I?

James Madden - see you on 5th Jan 2015.

Well it's 5th Jan 2015... and where's the SNOW?!! :rofl:

Those charts are still showing on his page!!

Edited by h2005uk
  • Like 2

Posted

Dangerously Cold Air' Brings Big Chill To US

Officials issue wind chill advisories as Arctic air moves in, bringing a deep freeze to some 240 million people across the US.

http://news.sky.com/story/1403557/dangerously-cold-air-brings-big-chill-to-us

Posted

Britain to be hit by 250mph gales as fierce polar jet stream brings storms and flood fears

BRITAIN is about to be battered by a week of violent storms with the first set to roll in off the Atlantic as a fierce Polar Jet stream hurtles into the UK today. Forecasters warn winds of up to 250mph strong enough to damage buildings and topple trees will persist through to next weekend.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/550558/Britain-Weather-100mph-Winds-Flooding-Flood-Warnings-Mild-Temperatures

:help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
Posted

Of course we all remember the "our children won't see snow" headlines of the past

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

That article came during a run of 12 successive winters with above average temps for the UK

Then, from 2008, we got 4 winters in the next 5 that were below the average...so we got the explanation for that and how it related to climate change...due to a weaker jet stream apparently...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/sep/14/arctic-sea-ice-harsh-winter-europe

Now, to my admittedly inexpert eye, the Jet Stream was pretty strong last winter and is not performing so very differently this winter....so I'm wondering how long before we get an article linking the strength of the jet stream and the winters the UK is getting as a result to Climate Change?

• Like 5

Posted

......so I'm wondering how long before we get an article linking the strength of the jet stream and the winters the UK is getting as a result to Climate Change?

Opportunistic bleeders that they are..... everything can be put down to climate change - even normality. It's a larf,innit?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Britain to be hit by 250mph gales as fierce polar jet stream brings storms and flood fears

BRITAIN is about to be battered by a week of violent storms with the first set to roll in off the Atlantic as a fierce Polar Jet stream hurtles into the UK today. Forecasters warn winds of up to 250mph strong enough to damage buildings and topple trees will persist through to next weekend.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/550558/Britain-Weather-100mph-Winds-Flooding-Flood-Warnings-Mild-Temperatures

:help:

What a crock of Shallots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Odd how the "children won't know what snow is" comment by a single scientist, in relation to future children, gets twisted into "climate science says no snow ever again, starting now".

Actually, it isn't odd at all, rather run of the mill for certain folk.

When people want to discuss how the jet stream changes over time, you need to look at more than just a few years and your own backyard.

For the latest science on the subject of the jet stream http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/10/1/014005/pdf/1748-9326_10_1_014005.pdf

• Like 1

Posted

Odd how the "children won't know what snow is" comment by a single scientist, in relation to future children, gets twisted into "climate science says no snow ever again, starting now".

Actually, it isn't odd at all, rather run of the mill for certain folk.

When people want to discuss how the jet stream changes over time, you need to look at more than just a few years and your own backyard.

For the latest science on the subject of the jet stream http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/10/1/014005/pdf/1748-9326_10_1_014005.pdf

Ok, but why is 'climate change'    based on "Just a few years"?