Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

What an odd thing to say...why don't we still hast frost fairs on the Thames?

maybe we are in a warmer period of NATURAL CLIMATE CHANGE can anyone say for sure the thames will never freeze over again

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

maybe we are in a warmer period of NATURAL CLIMATE CHANGE can anyone say for sure the thames will never freeze over again

I predict it certainly will in the next glacial phase sometime in the next 10000 years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seeing as the bridges on the Thames no longer provide the type of blockage to river flow that they used too ( when they had buildings on top of them!) I'd suggest that the faster passage of the waters has more to do with reluctance to freeze than the temps? Compare ponds to free flowing water on a sub zero run of days and see which has ice on it by the end of the period.

Hebden water is a fast flowing tributary to the Calder but it saw significant freeze over 2010/11.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Did I see our own Jo, presenting her vocal skills in that?

Nina Ridge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to get onto this one. Isn't it due the day after boxing day though?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/548329/Boxing-Day-weather-Weather-bomb-threatens-blizzard-floods

No-Snow Area: Alpine Slopes 'Worst For 25 Years'

A lack of snow in the Alps has left some ski resorts facing the worst conditions seen in the past quarter century, a leading industry representative has said. French Mountains, which promotes mountain tourism in France, this week said only 40 of some 200 skiing stations were open across the country. The hardest-hit area has been the northern Alps - home to popular resorts including Val Thorens, Courchevel and Meribel - where resorts have been forced to keep pistes closed and even ration ski passes. In the Trois Vallees - the largest ski area in the world - only around a third of the 3,700 miles (6,000km) of runs have been opened to skiers

Resort webcams show skiers trying to make the best of poor conditions, making their way down slopes that have almost more patches of green than white. Pierre Lestas, president of Domaines Skiables de France, the industry body for ski resort operators, told French news network BFMTV: "The situation is difficult in Haute-Savoie. We haven't seen this since 1988-89." French weather forecasters say such light snowfall is seen only once every five to 10 years, with the last comparable season coming in 2006. The lack of snow has been compounded by unseasonably warm temperatures preventing the use of artificial snow cannons, which are only effective at -2C or lower. The conditions could result in a 20%-30% drop in revenues for ski resorts over the Christmas period, Mr Lestas told BFMTV.

One resort in the region that has been lucky enough to have snow is imposing quotas this weekend to prevent chaos at its ski lifts. "Conditions are exceptional. As we are nearly the only station open in the Haute-Savoie region, we are expecting serious crowds," said Stephane Lerendu, director of the tourism office at the Avoriaz ski station. Located at an altitude of 1,800m (6,000ft), Avoriaz has been able to open most of its pistes, but the regional snow drought could lead to more than the resort's capacity of 12,000 skiers hitting the slopes. Holidaymakers will be issued with priority ski passes, while a quota will apply to everyone else until neighbouring areas have enough snow to open. Austria and Switzerland, which along with France are home to some of Europe's most coveted ski slopes, are also waiting anxiously for snow as the key Christmas holiday season arrives.

http://news.sky.com/story/1395277/no-snow-area-alpine-slopes-worst-for-25-years

This has already been covered in more depth in the Alps thread, I don't think the main problem has been the lack of snow falling per se, there has been a far amount of snow so far  in the past few weeks even some to lower levels, this main issue has been the lack of retention of this snow due to the very mild weather even to some higher resorts.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81729-the-alps-snow-thread-season-20142015/page-6

http://www.avoriaz.com/en/discovering/interactive-tour/pictures-videos-and-webcam?tab=webcam

As you can see a number of times the fresh snow has thawed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I remember a time before big brother and political correctness when MetO/BBC forecasts would be something worth viewing and I would look forward to them especially if snow was in the air, but these days?

They are delivered by in a montone drone with all the gusto and enthusiasm of an android in need of an oil change.

Makes me want to weep when the MetO and BBC hide anyone with a hint of personality in the backrooms. No room for individualsm in the New collective you know.

The BBC manage to be obnoxious and bland at the same time. Criminal!

So bad has TV become I have actually got rid of mine so I don't have to pay my license fee to these soul sucking ghouls.

Bah humbug!

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Totally agree Mucka!! - I look at the regional forecasts just the same 'the word go' or 'on offer' are cringe worthy phrases which keep coming up day after day from women with silly smiles on their faces throughout. Ian MacCaskill, John Kettley, Bacon and Fish unfortunately have long gone only to be replaced by nobodies...perhaps only Tomasz (middle finger) Schafemaker puts a bit of 'personality' into his forecasts.

BBC unfortunately has gone down the pan the last 10 years or so (certainly since my 2nd series didn't come about).

Edited by Froze were the Days

James Madden is at it again! - An extract taken from the Echo, a Liverpool newspaper.

I am more inclined to go with the forecasts which indicate a winter a little colder than what we have been used to just lately with alternating cold with some snow and mild spells, in fact more like the average winter I grew up with.

I suggest that James examines the records more closely to find out exactly what the winter of '62/63' was really like.

Britain could soon be shivering in a repeat of the 1963 Big Freeze - the worst winter for more than 200 years.

One weather expert has warned Britain will be hit by an Arctic blast which is set to arrive over New Year and hang around for at least a month.

Some areas could be blanketed by up to five feet of snow with daytime temperatures hovering around zero and overnight lows down to a bone-numbing -15C (5F).

Forecaster James Madden believes the white-out will rival the famous winter of 1963 when the sea froze in Kent and a car was driven across the River Thames in Oxford.

He fears a “colossal†area of much colder than average surface water in the Mid Atlantic will affect the Gulf Stream and leave Britain exposed to a prolonged Siberian blast from northerly winds.

James said: “ This is of quite some significance as the Gulf Stream effectively acts as a heat machine for our shores, in particular, during our winter months.

“Without the influence of this vital heat source, we can expect a horrific winter to develop with frequent blizzards/strong winds and extremely cold conditions across many parts of the country.

“During the winter period of 1962/63 the famous big freeze took a hold of the country from around Christmas until the spring of the following year because of a similar situation.

“Several feet of snow fell in parts of southern England, temperatures dropped to below -20C (-4F) in places, and snow remained on the ground for months on end.

“We could be looking at a very similar time-frame and scale of events this time around.

“I don’t like saying this but the factors are there for an extremely cold spell in January which will possibly extend into February."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

James Madden is at it again! - An extract taken from the Echo, a Liverpool newspaper.

I am more inclined to go with the forecasts which indicate a winter a little colder than what we have been used to just lately with alternating cold with some snow and mild spells, in fact more like the average winter I grew up with.

I suggest that James examines the records more closely to find out exactly what the winter of '62/63' was really like.

Britain could soon be shivering in a repeat of the 1963 Big Freeze - the worst winter for more than 200 years.

One weather expert has warned Britain will be hit by an Arctic blast which is set to arrive over New Year and hang around for at least a month.

Some areas could be blanketed by up to five feet of snow with daytime temperatures hovering around zero and overnight lows down to a bone-numbing -15C (5F).

Forecaster James Madden believes the white-out will rival the famous winter of 1963 when the sea froze in Kent and a car was driven across the River Thames in Oxford.

He fears a “colossal†area of much colder than average surface water in the Mid Atlantic will affect the Gulf Stream and leave Britain exposed to a prolonged Siberian blast from northerly winds.

James said: “ This is of quite some significance as the Gulf Stream effectively acts as a heat machine for our shores, in particular, during our winter months.

“Without the influence of this vital heat source, we can expect a horrific winter to develop with frequent blizzards/strong winds and extremely cold conditions across many parts of the country.

“During the winter period of 1962/63 the famous big freeze took a hold of the country from around Christmas until the spring of the following year because of a similar situation.

“Several feet of snow fell in parts of southern England, temperatures dropped to below -20C (-4F) in places, and snow remained on the ground for months on end.

“We could be looking at a very similar time-frame and scale of events this time around.

“I don’t like saying this but the factors are there for an extremely cold spell in January which will possibly extend into February."

Is that in the last day or so, or before xmas.

If its today then I suggest all the experts in here go into retirement. lol... :yahoo: :yahoo: :diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

According to this article, we can expect this year's record breaking warmth in the UK to be broken next year!!!

http://www.cityam.com/206241/uk-weather-bomb-despite-cold-snap-2014-could-be-warmest-year-record

Oh....and it gently mocks retailers with the following....!

Many retailers, including Next, have been blaming unseasonable warmth for drops in sales figures this year, and, perhaps, they had a point after all. Although for many retailers October was the offending month and it was colder than average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Nina Ridge

me and Nina were always getting mixed up at news 24.

Posted

Is that in the last day or so, or before xmas.

If its today then I suggest all the experts in here go into retirement. lol... :yahoo: :yahoo: :diablo:

Well in some ways it makes a change to the "Stratospheric warmings at 240hours" that we have seen all winter.

I agree that the guy really hasn't a chance in hell of being correct, but then again I've not found anybody that believes it anyway.

Posted

According to this article, we can expect this year's record breaking warmth in the UK to be broken next year!!!

http://www.cityam.com/206241/uk-weather-bomb-despite-cold-snap-2014-could-be-warmest-year-record

Oh....and it gently mocks retailers with the following....!

we all know that october saw little in the way of cold mornings or evenings. clothes retailers need rain and cold to get winter coat sales going. they are a huge part of their budget for the autumn/winter season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

we all know that october saw little in the way of cold mornings or evenings. clothes retailers need rain and cold to get winter coat sales going. they are a huge part of their budget for the autumn/winter season.

For the article to refer to October as being "colder than average" when it was actually the 10th warmest October of the last 315 years is a bit misleading.

I fancy they meant August, but journalism today is of the moment with accuracy way further down the list of required attributes than it has ever been!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If we look at how the Arctic is warming via DMI 80N temps we see that 'summer' is the least impacted with Autumn /winter/spring showing huge positive anoms. Could this be a clue to our own warming with night temps and the colder months showing warming whilst 'summer' and day time temps remain less impacted?

That said Finland has reported 'warming' above global averages so maybe the Arctic Amplification is now working south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Madden now predicting 150 days of snow

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/549619/2015-weather-forecast-UK-five-months-cold-winter

Last year he predicted 100 days of snow and got none right

The only bit of that article that rings true, is the last 10

Sentences, .....what a k...

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Madden now predicting 150 days of snow

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/549619/2015-weather-forecast-UK-five-months-cold-winter

Last year he predicted 100 days of snow and got none right

New year same old rubbish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

He's an astrophysicist as opposed to a conventional meteorologist, yes he's entitled to his opinion, but its not really fact.

He's an ass what?

Posted

He's generating spin as per usual.

Nathan Rao and his superiors who are generating the spin. They are committing the biggest "crimes" here.

Take out Express et al and Madden is a virtual unknown to Joe and Jill Bloggs. Reputable weather forums can dismiss him as a crank etc.

The Express gives him an outlet to the wider public. People who have little interest in the weather other than what the forecast is read this. It's harder for us lot to dismiss this as nonsense as we don't have a wider audience.

Who is creating the biggest crime here? Madden producing such forecasts or the mass media for giving him unnecessary publicity?

Nathan Rao et al should know better, they are not journalists, they are shysters. A disgrace to the journalistic profession.

• Like 1