Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

Finest ? Roflmao......I guess that's the funniest thing I've read in ages! Shame really because those who make a semi-effort to give a realistic forecast, even if it doesn't become reality, get mocked because of these idiotic type forecasts...

The same ones who year in year out - quite frankly put or who attempt to drag others to their levels.

Desperation sets in.....

Why not do something about it?

All you would get is a small apology buried deep within the rest of the tripe,best thing to do would be to nuke 'em !  Only way to be sure :laugh:       Does NW have a ripley?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

All you would get is a small apology buried deep within the rest of the tripe,best thing to do would be to nuke 'em !  Only way to be sure :laugh:       Does NW have a ripley?

What the hell is a ripley?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
Posted

Reading the article i see the Meto are only referring to next month i.e. December.

Who knows what January and February will bring?

Come to think of it who knows what the second half of December will bring?

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Apologies if this off-topic, but Dan Holley's 5-day forecast on regional BBC news this evening was amusing, given the recent rubbish in the Express.  I can't recall his exact words as he described the outlook beyond Sunday, but, to paraphrase:

"...so, although it's going to be chilly with overnight frost, there's no sign of the intense cold and snow Expressed in some newspapers."

Ouch! :rofl:  :laugh:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Problems could occur or should complacency gradually set in? When more folk suddenly loose confidence in forecasts or worse still, tar all forecasters with the same brush - and should a real cold snap duly arrive, they may well be left unprepared.

Good news remains, a vastly higher percentage of forecasts aren't rammed with pure scaremongering, sensationalist crap....

I think that's a common complaint of many professional forecasters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone knows where I'd legally stand on this, but certain weather agencies annoy me. As a Job I do web development, as a hobby I like reading forums such as netweather.

Now going to the point where I get annoyed by certain "agencies" I'm good at SEO (search engine optimisation) and I want to make a website where I review long range forecasts, look at what the papers are saying etc. With reasonable confidence I think I could get my site quite high up on google if you were to search winter forecast uk, winter 2014/15, uk ruined by snow etc.

I guess the reason for the site is when someone like my 80 year grandparents say they are worried about me visiting them because of the imminent adverse weather that is about to effect the uk, I would like to provide a page/antidote to the hysteria created by certain forecasting outlets.

I've been looking at a good domain name for my site (there are so many out there), and I have found a good one which, as it happens it is exactaweather.org. I would like to use said site to review long range forecasts, maybe pick holes in them. I would also greatly appreciate any input from people on here.

Just out of coincidence there happens to be a weather site that exists called extactaweather.com and whilst I'm confident I could "beat" them In the SERPS (search engine result pages), I'm just a tiny bit worried they could get me in trouble for using a similar name.

Should I just go for it as what I am doing is just reviewing long range weather forecasts and just coincidently has a very similar domain to theirs? I really have my heart set on exactaweather because I'd be analysing the exact weather in comparison to long range forecasts. Or is there a likelihood they could take me to court? Therefore would it be better to use something along the line of exactlyweather.com, exactawhether.com? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

• Like 1

Posted

Biased towards reality, you mean :p 

Ssshhh. As you probably well know, reality is not really tolerated here, it's all about the frenzied rush towards the next ice age.  Newcomers to this website could be forgiven for thinking that weather events only happen in winter, and only then if snow is involved

The fact that some of us have experienced an epic year for thunderstorms will be lost on many. Just one example of the many biases here. :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone knows where I'd legally stand on this, but certain weather agencies annoy me. As a Job I do web development, as a hobby I like reading forums such as netweather.

Now going to the point where I get annoyed by certain "agencies" I'm good at SEO (search engine optimisation) and I want to make a website where I review long range forecasts, look at what the papers are saying etc. With reasonable confidence I think I could get my site quite high up on google if you were to search winter forecast uk, winter 2014/15, uk ruined by snow etc.

I guess the reason for the site is when someone like my 80 year grandparents say they are worried about me visiting them because of the imminent adverse weather that is about to effect the uk, I would like to provide a page/antidote to the hysteria created by certain forecasting outlets.

I've been looking at a good domain name for my site (there are so many out there), and I have found a good one which, as it happens it is exactaweather.org. I would like to use said site to review long range forecasts, maybe pick holes in them. I would also greatly appreciate any input from people on here.

Just out of coincidence there happens to be a weather site that exists called extactaweather.com and whilst I'm confident I could "beat" them In the SERPS (search engine result pages), I'm just a tiny bit worried they could get me in trouble for using a similar name.

Should I just go for it as what I am doing is just reviewing long range weather forecasts and just coincidently has a very similar domain to theirs? I really have my heart set on exactaweather because I'd be analysing the exact weather in comparison to long range forecasts. Or is there a likelihood they could take me to court? Therefore would it be better to use something along the line of exactlyweather.com, exactawhether.com? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

How about "Maddening weather"   :rofl:

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Sorry MODS if this is in the wrong place. 

BBC forecast for the week ahead and unusually looking at next weekend and a little beyond... the `s` word is mentioned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30268791

• Like 8

Posted

You need proper legal advice for that one.

Posted

The .org one seems to be available so I would probably use that. I think at worst he would just tell me to take it down and not really have to a leg to stand on. The only sticking point is I would have to put a moderate amount of work in when I am pushed for time at the moment. The end result would probably just be causing some annoyance to Madden, or at best I would sell him the domain and take the site down for the right amount.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Why do you need to use that name exactly?

Posted

I can't think of any other way of doing something very small that would go some way to help highlight what he does and create a bit of mischief at the same time. It's just got my back up a little the other day when once again my grandparents who are in the 80s take what is written as the absolute truth (again).

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Did anyone watch Wild Weather with Richard Hammond on BBC one last night?  A fascinating insight into the dynamics of wind where Richard Hammond visits the Wind Engineering, Energy and Environment Research Institute in Canada to see the worlds first hexagonal wind tunnel that can simulate different wind conditions such as tornadoes with help from its 106 massive fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tqghf/wild-weather-with-richard-hammond-1-wind-the-invisible-force

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Yes, looks to be an interesting series. I was quite jealous when he was getting blown about on the observatory on Mt Washington.

Posted

Well even though what has been said in the papers or predicted by every one how this winter will turn out its been at least 20 months since i have seen snow on the ground, and here i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any this December.

Les 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I'm expecting to see a Storm of the Century headline from the Dandy Express soon in regard to developments on the ECM tonight  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'm expecting to see a Storm of the Century headline from the Dandy Express soon in regard to developments on the ECM tonight  :)

In the short term they are sticking to Artic winds and 8 inches of snow by the weekend

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/542908/Temperature-freeze-weather-turns-windy-snow-Britain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK And World Set For Hottest Year On Record

This year is on course to be the hottest on record both for the UK and globally, with human impact the likely cause, say experts. The UK's mean temperature from the beginning of January to late November is 1.6C above the long-term average, making it the warmest in records dating back to 1910, according to the Met Office, although a cold December could change this. This year is also set to be one of the warmest on record in the Central England Temperature series, which stretches back to 1659 and is the longest instrumental temperature series in the world.

Around the world, the year is set to be one of the hottest, with global temperatures around 0.57C above the long-term average of 14C from January to October, just ahead of the previous record set in 2010 of 0.56C. If November and December follow suit, 2014 is likely to be the hottest year on record, ahead of 2010, 2005 and 1998, the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) has said. The Met Office has cautioned against placing too much emphasis on a single record temperature and long-term climate change.

http://news.sky.com/story/1385076/uk-and-world-set-for-hottest-year-on-record

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Not sure where to post this, but an interesting BBC forecast for the next 10 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30319347