Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

Journalists Commandment No 1:-

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

That statement is valid for many of the current rags  - please believe, it was not always the case.

The arrival of the Murdoch era commenced a race to the bottom of the pit in journalistic integrity. We, the public, bought the medium with the most titillating exposes and thus tabloid journalism changed the job description to little more than 'Peeping Tom'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The Daily Mail are looking out for their readers though

"the moment you snap a photo on an iPhone, you upload a copy, not to an actual cloud, but to a bank of ...computers"

Could do with a new name of cloud type containing nude photos of celebrities

• Like 1

Posted

The Daily Mail are looking out for their readers though

"the moment you snap a photo on an iPhone, you upload a copy, not to an actual cloud, but to a bank of ...computers"

Could do with a new name of cloud type containing nude photos of celebrities

Yeah, I was always worried about uploading photos to the cloud - what happens if it rains?  Do all my photos fall out of the sky?!!!!!!  :O

Posted

Not entirely sure this is the right place for this, but doubtless someone will move it for me if not.

NASA launched a satellite called GPM (Global Precipitation Measurement) earlier in the year, designed to measure precipitation with extreme accuracy:

http://pmm.nasa.gov/articles/gpm-data-goes-public

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GPM

They're now making the data available freely:

http://pmm.nasa.gov/data-access

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Here we go again........

High alert as violent tropical CYCLONE sweeps towards UK and will hit within a FORTNIGHT

BRITAIN is on heightened alert for a violent tropical storm to unleash HURRICANE-FORCE winds and torrential downpours within A FORTNIGHT. A furious cyclone currently hurtling across the Atlantic threatens to tear up the coast of Africa before crashing into the UK. It shows a similar pattern to the brutal ex-hurricane Bertha which caused widespread devastation in August.

Swathes of the country face being crippled by WIDESPREAD FLOODS, POWER OUTAGES and DEVASTATING WINDS nudging 70mph if it develops in the same way. Forecasters said the storm shows signs of taking a direct course towards Europe and the UK while assuring the public they will be keeping a close eye on it over the coming days. Forecast models show the deep low pressure disturbance off the west coast of Africa looking more likely by the hour to develop into a full-blown tropical hurricane.

Although it may veer off towards the east coast of America, experts say there is a chance it will snake back on itself and hurtle towards the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/510262/Violent-tropical-cyclone-heads-UK-weather-floods-gales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Here we go again........

High alert as violent tropical CYCLONE sweeps towards UK and will hit within a FORTNIGHT

BRITAIN is on heightened alert for a violent tropical storm to unleash HURRICANE-FORCE winds and torrential downpours within A FORTNIGHT. A furious cyclone currently hurtling across the Atlantic threatens to tear up the coast of Africa before crashing into the UK. It shows a similar pattern to the brutal ex-hurricane Bertha which caused widespread devastation in August.

Swathes of the country face being crippled by WIDESPREAD FLOODS, POWER OUTAGES and DEVASTATING WINDS nudging 70mph if it develops in the same way. Forecasters said the storm shows signs of taking a direct course towards Europe and the UK while assuring the public they will be keeping a close eye on it over the coming days. Forecast models show the deep low pressure disturbance off the west coast of Africa looking more likely by the hour to develop into a full-blown tropical hurricane.

Although it may veer off towards the east coast of America, experts say there is a chance it will snake back on itself and hurtle towards the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/510262/Violent-tropical-cyclone-heads-UK-weather-floods-gales

Furious? who p155ed it off?

oh wait, daily excess, move along...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Here we go again........

HUMAN SACRIFICES, DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER......MASS HYSTERIA.

You forgot to add that Nathan when you farted out that pile of diarrhoea. Moron.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

HUMAN SACRIFICES, DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER......MASS HYSTERIA.

You forgot to add that Nathan when you farted out that pile of diarrhoea. Moron.

Bill Murry from Ghostbusters I think?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Bill Murry from Ghostbusters I think?

Correct..10 points.

• Like 1

Posted

Turning even warmer for parts of Britain

After a disappointingly cool and wet August, September has been largely fine, with plenty of warm sunshine for many areas. This has been thanks to an area of high pressure centred across the UK, which generally brings us dry and sunny weather. Through this week, the high pressure will slowly move towards Scandinavia, with low pressure moving north towards southern parts of Britain. This will introduce some isolated but potentially heavy showers in place. Cloud from the North Sea will also keep some eastern areas of the UK cloudier and cooler. However, this low pressure will also drag in warm winds from the Mediterranean and France, causing a rise in temperatures across parts of the country.

Where we see cloud breaks and further sunshine through this week, we could see temperatures across parts of the south and west reach the mid 20s Celsius by day. This is considerably warmer than the average of around 17C that we would normally expect across the UK for mid-September. There has been some press interest about what effect Hurricane Edouard, currently in the Western Atlantic, will have on the UK’s weather. It’s still early days, but computer models currently suggest the storm will move into the Mid Atlantic and then track south towards the Azores, well away from the UK. This will mean that the British Isles will not be directly affected by the storm, and there is a hint that the largely fine weather will continue into the weekend to give us further settled weather.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/turning-even-warmer-for-parts-of-britain/

Posted

I emailed the editor of the Express yesterday

To the editor of the Express

I am writing to you in the capacity of an amateur weather enthusiast, in why do you persist on putting on your front page, sensationalistic weather headlines which prove to be wrong or were way OTT? Why do you persist on taking the word of these so called "forecasters", when often they have been wrong?

The headline prediction of hottest August in 300 years was the latest embarrassment, it turned out to be in fact the coolest for 21 years.

If the Met Office had made this prediction, I would be in no doubt that you would have a front page panning the Met Office for this, yet you persist on going to the same private forecasters who have got it wrong time and time again.

Do you realise on amateur weather forums on the internet such as UKWeatherworld, Netweather, TheWeatherOutlook, which I post on regular that you are consider a joke of a newspaper? Don't take my word for it go and have look yourself.

Regards Kevin Bradshaw

No reply yet.

His stories are becoming increasingly outlandlish. I am getting more and more convinced he MUST be doing this as some sort of bet or dare. i.e. how much tosh can he (he as in Nathan Rao) can get away with getting published. Does the paper even have an editor? I would assume they dont. I get the point about it selling papers but the clown has gone beyond that, he has single handedly turned a half decent (ish) paper into a two bit tinpot rag with the junk he somehow gets onto the front page on regular occasions.

His stories are becoming increasingly outlandlish. I am getting more and more convinced he MUST be doing this as some sort of bet or dare. i.e. how much tosh can he (he as in Nathan Rao) can get away with getting published. Does the paper even have an editor? I would assume they dont. I get the point about it selling papers but the clown has gone beyond that, he has single handedly turned a half decent (ish) paper into a two bit tinpot rag with the junk he somehow gets onto the front page on regular occasions.

The only bad publicity is no publicity. I've read Nathan Rao's articles (albeit just for the comedic value), I doubt I would read the Daily Express weather stories if they were sensible. Most visits = more advertising revenue = profit!

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Blog posted by Dr. Jeff Masters' at Weather Underground today, 18 Sept 2014:

Earth has Warmest Summer and August on Record.

August 2014 and the summer of 2014 were Earth's warmest since records began in 1880, said NOAA's National Climatic Data Center today. NASA also rated August 2014 as the warmest August on record. August is the third time NOAA has ranked a 2014 month as the warmest on record; May and June 2014 were the warmest May and June on record.

Global ocean temperatures during August 2014 were the warmest on record, and the 0.65°C (1.17°F) ocean temperature anomaly was the highest ever measured, beating the record set just two months previously in June 2014.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2803&cm_ven=tw-jm

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, today's headline about another month's summer still to come, or something along those lines, ought to guarantee the earliest widespread, lowland snowfalls for a century?

Posted

Mirror:  October heatwave could hit record levels as experts predict extended Indian summer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/october-heatwave-could-hit-record-4302563#rlabs=1

They're predicting temperatures in the low-mid 20s for this week which is at odds with all other forecasts!

Time will tell whether their prediction of October being one of the hottest ever is accurate. I suppose the Express/Mirror  'forecasts' have to be correct at some point just going by the law  of averages!

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So 2014 is turning into quite a year of extreme wet (winter wettest on record).. And now driest too. This September is set to be driest for 50 years.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/low-rainfall-figure-september-135753663.html

Makes you wonder what we have in store for the winter. Floods or deep freeze is my guess!

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
Posted

A story from 2012 has done the rounds on the web in the past 24hrs and I suspect those too are old stories, this is the newest one from the mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2783315/No-end-sight-weather-misery-forecasters-warn-heavy-rain-thunderstorms-60mph-winds-set-batter-Britain-week.html

No cold snap is on the way thats for certain any stories appearing on the web should be ignored for now

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

It says 7th October 2014 so I thought it was this week's. I too have seen the others from 2012 and 2013

Posted

both are quite comical, I wonder how many times the worst for decades/100 years will have to be forecast before it happens, ah of course, not for decades-question solved.

The two really are just quacks but hey ho they obviously fool enough of the people enough of the time to make a good living out of it.

If only I had say £100 for every utterance from them both about cataclysmic weather for the coming winter. Even dafter is the Daily Mail quoting the weather for early next week. One has to laugh

Just for some idea of how bad it will be here is the 0600z temperature chart for early next week from gfs, just click on the max/min temperature label at the top for 162h, Tuesday morning. Gosh it predicts as low as +1C over some of Scotland, really does fit the DM warning.

utterly laughable

I really must stop reading this thread.

sorry I got so excited I forgot the link, currently it shows the model output for 12Z, who knows the 18z may show -ve values!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

sorry Mark this is NOT a dig at you but after 10 years on here and almost constant similar predictions by the two named in the papers one does get a touch cynical.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted

It says 7th October 2014 so I thought it was this week's. I too have seen the others from 2012 and 2013

That first link you posted last night is no longer available now so It does appear that who ever wrote it got caught out by this story which has done the rounds since Monday. The Daily Mail's story isn't dated now nor accepting comments