Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

This constant OTT description of an Armageddon Winter scenario in the written press over the last 2/3 weeks is starting to get very tedious as it is clearly turning out to be totally incorrect at the moment. I'm sure they are aiming this at a different sector to the 'enthusiasts' here, but if they keep peddling the dramatic, doom-mongering articles drawing reference to 12" of snow this week etc etc, after the initial and inevitable panic response from the general public, most will just ignore the constant spewing out of superlatives about the 'worst ever Winter'.

When the real cold and snowy weather finally gets here, people will treat those articles like the boy that cried Wolf and may not be as well prepared for Winter as some should be. I wish they would find some balance about all this and consider the readership, not the sales figures for once.

I love the suggestion  that the large supermarkets fill their shops based on what they read in the newspapers, IF they do, then there's got to be a market for us folks to get in there and make some money, providing good information, not sensationalist cr@p that is generated by the tabloids.

To think that Asda procured "500 tonnes of grit and 500,000 cans of de-icer" based on newspaper speak is beyond belief.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There was a programme on a few weeks ago about how the supermarkets work, Gregg Wallace was presenting it .. Apparently they have their own forecasting systems so they can bring in more relevant items, such as food stuffs that might sell better in Winter etc .. The media probably exert an influence too of course. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

the fact is papers don't give a super duper what effect it has on the publick it's all about making a proffet. As for stors likes of asda i'm sure they won't just get stok in based on a paper article i hope not anyway. As for madden an powl maybe they should find a remote island someware in the arctic or near the pole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

There was a programme on a few weeks ago about how the supermarkets work, Gregg Wallace was presenting it .. Apparently they have their own forecasting systems so they can bring in more relevant items, such as food stuffs that might sell better in Winter etc .. The media probably exert an influence too of course. Posted Image

Sainsbury's get there weather from a more reliable source in the met office I assume the other supermarkets have similar systems in place.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I love the suggestion  that the large supermarkets fill their shops based on what they read in the newspapers, IF they do, then there's got to be a market for us folks to get in there and make some money, providing good information, not sensationalist cr@p that is generated by the tabloids.

To think that Asda procured "500 tonnes of grit and 500,000 cans of de-icer" based on newspaper speak is beyond belief.

The problem is if you told the like's of the express we are going to get a week of settled weather with frost and fog overnight that would struggle to make page 40 let a long page 1, if its over hyped to sell papers they won't publish it.

Eventually even the die hard readers of these papers will start and say "well they've said that before" they can only go so long before people just start and ignore the headlines

Posted

It's the modern way of boosting the economy...

I guess their readership has short memories  - as they say tomorrows chip paper....

I must remember to come back in here and check headlines every few weeks, now saved for posterity, to see how the forecast and headlines turn out. I've noted that one is calling this 'the most severe since 1947'  (as printed, no dispute) so that's a yardstick I'm going to hold them too. I'm not sure how much spin they put on weather organisations/individual predictions, but unless the specific forecasters were to come in here and clarify things, we can only take it as written. 

I know we all generally laugh about things the papers write, taking them lightly and the press are a constant butt of many jokes about inaccuracy and writing what sells. But this is something that if it isn't tempered has the potential to affect the public's long term attitude to periods of potential severe weather and maybe even their well-being. It's not a 'Freddie Starr ate my Hamster' situation is it?

Thank gawd for the membership of NW!

• Like 1

Posted

Weather presenter fulfils World Cup wager by stripping naked

French TV star Doria Tillier said she would present the weather in the nude if her country qualified for the World Cup – and she is a woman of her word (sort of). Tillier, a weather girl for the Canal+ TV network in France, had made the promise to call the weather 'à poil' (in the buff) after Les Blues lost the first leg of their World Cup play-off 2-0 in Ukraine. No European national team had ever overhauled a two-goal play-off deficit before, so it seemed a safe-ish bet for former model Tillier, 27. But a rip-roaring second leg in Paris saw France win 3-0, sealing their place at the finals in Brazil, and ensuring that her fans would get an extra perk to qualification. Doria obviously didn't want to go starkers - when France made it 2-0 on the night, equalising on aggregate, she Tweeted: "F***. 2-0 to France. I'm starting to get stressed..."

Taking her defeat with Gallic humour, Doria elected to perform the stunt in the village of Poil, hence doubly fulfilling her obligation to go 'à poil'. Phnaar phnaar. It’s not all good news for her admirers though. While Doris did indeed present the weather naked, she does so running through a field screaming out the details, while her antics are filmed at a safe enough distance to get past the censors. So there's no way of telling if she paid tribute to her compatriots' final destination of Brazil.

Booooooo!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/weather-presenter-fulfils-world-cup-wager-stripping-naked-122122276.html?vp=1

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Did you read the comment from Exacta weather's James Madden? I had a few lols. Posted Image

I had overlooked the comments, and a year on, it is even funnier

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Here we go, we are now in for 12" of snow this week, a bit up from the 4" headline this time last week - both from the Expresses Nathan Rao. Read the article and see what you think, but at this rate, in a couple of weeks the UK will be completely buried.....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444046/Weather-Winter-2013-sets-in-as-screaming-gales-and-12-inches-of-snow-blast-Britain

The only undramatic, reasoned, composed (and as it happens, correct so far) part of the article appears to be the last paragraph that I highlighted, what a surprise!

I've given Nathan Rao the word "screaming", I'll get my coat ( big thick coat as it is cold)

• Like 2

Posted

I've given Nathan Rao the word "screaming", I'll get my coat ( big thick coat as it is cold)

:rofl: Well for you part of the World I guess it was correct for the winds, but has there been 12" of snow, even over the mountains or has the country (or parts of it) become 'crippled'?

Posted

Hold on tight, this headline is going to be a bumpy one!

WINTER 2013 TO BE LONGEST IN HISTORY: Heavy snow could fall until MAY warn forecasters

BRITAIN is facing an unprecedented SIX MONTH winter with long-range forecasters warning relentless heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures could last until MAY.

The entire UK has been told to brace for a record-breaking period of bitter Arctic winds, crippling snowfall and plunging temperatures. Long-range forecasts now point to winter 2013 now being the worst for more than 60 years with Polar conditions stretching right into the beginning of next spring. The shock warning comes with the UK already shivering in an unseasonably early big freeze with temperatures plummeting to -5C and heavy snow sparking chaos in parts of the UK.

Long-range forecaster James Madden, of Exacta Weather, said: “An exceptionally prolonged period of widespread cold is highly likely to develop throughout this winter and last into next spring. “It will be accompanied by snow drifts of several feet and long-lasting snow accumulations on a widespread scale.“This period of snow and cold is likely to result in an incomparable scenario to anything we have experienced in modern times. “A scenario similar to December 2010 is likely to develop, but on a more prolonged scale in terms of overall duration.â€

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said this winter could now parallel hthe worst winters ever recorded. He said: “Looking back at historical data there is certainly an argument that we may well parallel with severe winters of the past including 1947 and 1962. “We have had such a cold November, and there is no sign of any change due to a high pressure blocking system. “When these severe temperatures bed in it becomes like an accumulative effect - like a heatwave but in reverse, we could be looking at the longest winter in history. “And this is when you see records breaking, all signs point towards this winter being exceptionally severe, I wouldn’t put anything past it.â€

As energy bills rocket, campaigners warn around 25,000 people could die of the cold - around 23 per cent more than during a Swedish winter. Ed Matthew, director of the Energy Bill Revolution, said: “It is a national disgrace that thousands of people are dying unnecessarily every year, lives that could be saved by something as simple as better insulation. “That more people die from the cold every year in temperate Britain than in freezing Sweden is an embarrassment and a tragedy.â€

This winter has so far shown signs of delivering a repeat of 1962 when temperatures tumbled in mid-November and the first snow fell. Southern England was hit by blizzards and London was buried under 12 inches of drifting snow with further downpours in January and February (Source: Netweather).

Devon and North East England were left under 2ft of snow and people were able  to walk on the tops of the frozen shrubbery. This winter could also be a carbon copy of 1947, the snowiest in history with showers in March leading to seven-metre high drifts. The worst winter since 1814 there was continuos snowfall from January 22 to March 17 (Source: Netweather) with seven inches falling in South West England and the Scilly Isles in January. In early March there was a blizzard in England and Wales, with 1ft widely, and 5ft over high ground. Flooding was also a problem as rain ran off frozen ground in torrents leading to widespread chaos on the roads. 

The lack of power supplies became so critical that at one point radio and TV broadcasts were suspended, magazines were ordered to stop being published and many newspapers were forced to cut their size. Mr Powell added: “The worst of the weather is likely to arrive in January - this is when the real trouble is likely to start. “So far, we have seen an early taste of what this winter could have to offer, and it is only November,  late December into next year looks shocking. “And there is every possibility this could be the picture right through until May and even into spring, we could see one of the longest winters in history.â€

The Met Office said clear skies and persistent high pressure over the weekend and into next week will keep minimum temperatures below average for the time of year. Forecaster Dan Williams said: “It is going to turn more settled and resulting clear skies mean there is more heat loss, keeping things cooler than average. “It is a cold picture for the rest of the week, and there could be the risk of fog."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444385/Long-range-UK-weather-forecast-warns-snow-storms-and-Arctic-winds-could-last-SIX-months

I've highlighted the more 'interesting' (contentious) stuff, but did Netweather provide the source for the comment "This winter has so far shown signs of delivering a repeat of 1962"? 

I'm no expert but I thought it seemed like a very typical November so far?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have they taken the Netweather part from the model thread? I've seen some 62 charts that resemble today's but I mean wtf?

And as for this:

“When these severe temperatures bed in it becomes like an accumulative effect - like a heatwave but in reverse.

Step forward and take a bow Jonathan Powell, weather for five yr olds.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Widespread chaos on the roads..in 1814..!! Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

What load of crap.. Where on Earth have they got this from ! 

This winter has so far shown signs of delivering a repeat of 1962 when temperatures tumbled in mid-November and the first snow fell. Southern England was hit by blizzards and London was buried under 12 inches of drifting snow with further downpours in January and February (Source: Netweather).

Posted Image

It's not even winter yet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

This is by far the worst piece I have seen yet, I am beginning to wonder if the Express has some alterior motive for coming out with this crap on a daily basis.

The sport wouldn't print this.

Posted

The Express gets worse with each new headline they print, there digging themselves a big hole, I'd like to see there response when all this fails to happen

I wonder what the Daily exacturate will come up with next 6 month winter is by far the daftest headline to date

It make me wonder if they are desperate for sales given they've already admitted sales go up when they print these stories

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

The Express gets worse with each new headline they print, there digging themselves a big hole, I'd like to see there response when all this fails to happen I wonder what the Daily exacturate will come up with next 6 month winter is by far the daftest headline to date It make me wonder if they are desperate for sales given they've already admitted sales go up when they print these stories

While there selling papers they will not care if it far from the truth. It's sells time and time again.There just a few head lines lolpost-21257-0-49676500-1385116782_thumb.jGives us something to talk about I guess ! One day they will get it right and we will never here the end of it.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

As their headlines seem to have got more and more sensationalistic (is that a word lol) day by day, the only one now left to them is "Winter to last forever"

Posted

I think if you follow Mr Rao's Tweets, you'll get an idea of where he stands on this Winter.....

https://twitter.com/ExpressNathan

I don't do Twitter so can't respond to him (but look at those that have!), maybe I'll compose a nicely worded Q and A e-mail later.

As their headlines seem to have got more and more sensationalistic (is that a word lol) day by day, the only one now left to them is "Winter to last forever"

I see you responded on Twitter!

Posted

I think if you follow Mr Rao's Tweets, you'll get an idea of where he stands on this Winter.....

I don't do Twitter so can't respond to him (but look at those that have!), maybe I'll compose a nicely worded Q and A e-mail later.

I see you responded on Twitter!

A selection of the comments, everyone is saying the same, utter rubbish to put it politely 

LOL so you really believe this crap!! STOP using ridiculous headlines to frighten the vulnerable!! Your pathetic

time for change! stop with the fantasy weather headlines and start doing your job properly! We want real news not (word unsuitable for this forum)

You aren't supposed to make news up.

Just grow up & stop this tedious drivel

James Madden is also on twitter https://twitter.com/JMadden_Weather

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

No sign of the Daily Express winter Exaggeration in today's update from the met

UK Outlook for Saturday 7 Dec 2013 to Saturday 21 Dec 2013:

Current indications are that high pressure is likely to remain close to the southwest of the UK, and may continue to influence the weather across southern parts into mid December. Otherwise a return to more normal conditions for early winter is most likely. This will lead to the wettest and windiest conditions across the north and west of the UK, and the best of the drier and brighter conditions further south. There are indications that temperatures may remain a little below normal for the time of year.

On the hole a fairly average update

Posted

From the winter thread 

The press complaints commission code of practice says "

Accuracy

i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures. ii) A significant inaccuracy, misleading statement or distortion once recognised must be corrected, promptly and with due prominence, and - where appropriate - an apology published.

Lets see how Accurate the Express are come May or when ever they decide winter will end, there stories so far are extremely misleading and could caused unnecessary worry especially amongst the elderly