Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Scorching new heatwave to hit Britain

BRITAIN is about to bake in another scorching summer blast with every chance that the hottest day of the year is yet to come. Forecasters said yesterday that we have not seen the end of the hot weather and temperatures are poised to soar back into the 90s. This year’s record – set last week at 94F (34.2C) – could be broken by the end of next week when a new swathe of hot air from the Continent nudges closer to the UK. The Met Office says the weather pattern now pushing European temperatures up to 104F is very similar to the one that triggered last month’s “Spanish plumeâ€, making Britain hotter than parts of Africa.

And James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: “It is likely that we will see the development of some drier, brighter and much warmer weather, especially in southern and eastern parts of the country, where the highest recorded temperatures of the summer could be surpassed once again.†This week could still see the mercury climb to 77F, although there is still the risk of heavy downpours and flash floods. He added: “The remainder of this week will see a definitive North-South division, with further periods of heavy rain across parts of the North and West. “This will also bring the risk of some further flash-flooding in places, especially in parts of the far North.†Sarah Holland, for the Met Office, said the weather system over Europe would bring “prolonged fine spells†to the UK.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said it is possible August could still produce a record-breaking temperature for this year. He added: “There are signs later this month that we could see a return to the very hot weather and possibly another heatwave scenario. “Towards the end of next week we are looking at a series of heat spikes before a more settled run of hot weather later in the month.  “Very hot air currently over the Continent will ebb and flow close to the UK pushing temperatures up. We have not seen the end of summer.†Piers Corbyn, forecaster for WeatherAction, said next week will see a return of the high pressure that triggered the July heatwave. He said: “It is going to be nicely warm again at times with some very warm spells on the way. “This should start to set in towards the end of next week, and take us into the middle of the month with fine weather over most of Britain.â€

And Brian Gaze, of The Weather Outlook, said Britain is on course for the hottest August for almost 10 years. He said prolonged hot weather this month could push the average above the 60F recorded in 2009, and close to 2004’s 61F.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/420486/Scorching-new-heatwave-to-hit-Britain

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Who are all these people?

It is woven together so cunningly, mentioning the Met. Office to give the article weight, when all the Express has done is quote something off the telly

then there are a load of ifs, coulds, signs... etc

August IS the hottest month, on average.

"mercury climb to 77F", 25C is forecast today and tomorrow

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 2

Posted

:lol: Some are so called 'alternative forecasters' some just run other forecasting agencies and appear in the National papers when they have something dramatic to say. Each has their own set of followers and detractors and each have varying levels of success depending on how you view their forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The biggest jokers in British Meteorology.

James Madden forecasts an Armageddon winter every October and Jonathan Powell has had more success on the horses than he ever has on predicting the weather!

They are the regular Daily Mail "no news" shock weather story providers!

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I could say it is going to rain today and issue it every day. I'd be right 2 days in 10 for East Anglia, 8 days in 10 for western SCotland  (-ish)

Doesn't make a useful forecast.

Every shop I go in today will be , "oooh hear a heatwave is on the way"

I'm sure in the last article, one of those experts said we were going to beat 38.5C

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sure in the last article, one of those experts said we were going to beat 38.5C

Make a note of that and we'll come back to it at the end of August Jo! :lol: 

I could say it is going to rain today and issue it every day. I'd be right 2 days in 10 for East Anglia, 8 days in 10 for western SCotland  (-ish)

The worst part about it is now all the people I know that read the Daily Express are now going to be spreading the news about this "heatwave" and no doubt they will try and tell me and I will try and explain what actually will come about, but they won't have it because they read it in a news paper. Posted Image

Posted

Six years ago Powell forecasted three December super storms in October, one with 130mph winds.

The Daily Mail published this story and December ended up being dominated by High Pressure! lol.

Posted

The worst part about it is now all the people I know that read the Daily Express are now going to be spreading the news about this "heatwave" and no doubt they will try and tell me and I will try and explain what actually will come about, but they won't have it because they read it in a news paper. Posted Image

Let them tell you about the heatwave and just smile back, it will intrigue them more than telling them in great detail why it may be a long-shot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Its all media hype once again. There is NO signs in the model output to say theres a major heatwave on the way, quite the reverse to be honest! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Its all media hype once again. There is NO signs in the model output to say theres a major heatwave on the way, quite the reverse to be honest! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The only hot air around is currently residing in Jonathan Powell's vacant head

• Like 1

Posted

I'm suprised by Brian Gaze! His forecast on TWO doesnt go for the Hottest August in 10 years!  I would expect it from Madden, just as every November there is a headline quoting him saying we are going to get a siberian winter lasting 6 months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

To be fair to Piers Corbyn, his quote is only for warm weather with some very warm spells. At least there is model support for something like that from the GFS. I can't recall anything significant from any August since 2003 so it probably wouldn't take much for this august to be warmer than most in the last 10 years if things set up right. So pretty much the headline is based on another Jonathan Powell mega ramp into outer space Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What hype. At least Brian is reasonable essentially saying a CET between 16.6 and 17.8 is probable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just wait 'til Winter - typical shredder material from the tabloids !!

Slow news day = wheel out HEATWAVE / HURRICANE / ARCTIC BLAST 

Maybe they were watching Sharknado and got some divine inspiration from that.. yes there is a film called Sharknado, it premiered last night, I saw 3 minutes of it until I realised where I had put the remote down.

• Like 4

Posted

Just wait 'til Winter - typical shredder material from the tabloids !!

Slow news day = wheel out HEATWAVE / HURRICANE / ARCTIC BLAST 

Maybe they were watching Sharknado and got some divine inspiration from that.. yes there is a film called Sharknado, it premiered last night, I saw 3 minutes of it until I realised where I had put the remote down.

That film sounded so bad that it may be funny to watch!

Posted

Now to compare and contrast.....

Scorching summer replaced with typical British weather

The sizzling heatwave is set to come to an end, as a 'typical British summer' returns to the UK with sunshine, cloud and showers forecast for the rest of August.

Temperatures are predicted to be a couple of degrees higher than the average this month as the summer holidays continue, but are not expected to reach the height of the July heat wave which saw Britons bask in conditions in excess of 30 degrees. 

Charlie Powell, a forecaster at the Met Office, said most of this weekend would be dry and sunny, with the mercury expected to reach 24 degrees – slightly above average for August. There will be some rain on Saturday night, with drier weather returning on Sunday, along with cloud and a light breeze making temperatures feel "fresher." He said: “There’s a lot of dry weather around this weekend, with plenty of sunny spells.  â€œA lot of England and Wales will be dry, with temperatures getting into the low twenties, meaning it should be pretty pleasant and we will be back to the usual British summer time.†

But Mr Powell said there was likely to be a ‘north-south’ divide, with warmer temperatures in the south and more chance of rain and cooler days in the north and North West. He said this is likely to continue throughout August and into September. He added that the UK is expected to see temperatures slightly above the average maximum of 19C for the month and said: “There will be typically fine summertime conditions, with plenty of dry and fine weather.â€

Next week is expected to see more dry weather, with some rain forecast for Monday and Tuesday. Last month was the hottest July for seven years – with an average of 291 hours of sunshine recorded. Experts say only one July has been sunnier in the last 100 years. The hottest day of the year was on August 1, when the mercury reached 34.1C at Heathrow. 

The sunny spell saw people flock to beaches and parks scorched, and promises a bumper harvest for wine makers this year. But the warmer weather was followed by flash flooding across many parts of the country at the start of the month, causing the Met Office to issue weather warnings throughout the country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10232649/Scorching-summer-replaced-with-typical-British-weather.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

2 totaly different headlines in space of 24h and yet peeps out there would stil give credit those ideots, and as for j.p from vws his full of super duper as ever, 1day his forecasts will come to fruition.

Posted

Bumper crop of sprouts heralds new heatwave

FANS of Brussels sprouts can relax – the mixture of heat and recent rain is set to produce a bumper crop this year.  The vegetable, traditionally eaten at Christmas, is already available from British growers – and the yield could end up 30 per cent higher than in 2012. Chris Gedney, of growers TH Clements, of Boston, Lincs, said: “The conditions are absolutely ideal especially with the recent rain that has followed a good month of sunshine.†He said that this year’s early arrival will help make up for last year when heavy rain hampered growing and resulted in a poor harvest. The news came as summer is set to return next week with temperatures hitting 86F (30C) in parts of Britain.

But there will be a distinct North-South split with the best of the weather and highest temperatures in the South. Even so, forecasters say the North will still see thermometers rising into the mid to high 70s by Friday. In some regions, August could see a repeat of the scorching conditions seen in July. There is even a chance the hottest day of the year is yet to come, beating the 94F (34.2C) during last week’s Spanish plume. Jonathan Powell, of Vantage Weather Services, said Britain is braced for a late summer “heat spikeâ€. He said: “It is going to get much warmer again next week building to quite a significant spike mid week. “Temperatures in the South could get up to 86F or above, and while the North will be cooler and more unsettled, we could see temperatures in the high 70s. “As expected, this is another plume of warmth which is going to keep August quite warm, certainly during the first half.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/420980/Bumper-crop-of-sprouts-heralds-new-heatwave

Posted

BBC Weather for the week ahead with Darren Bett

Sunny spells

Some rain

Feeling warmer later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Bumper crop of sprouts heralds new heatwave

FANS of Brussels sprouts can relax – the mixture of heat and recent rain is set to produce a bumper crop this year.  The vegetable, traditionally eaten at Christmas, is already available from British growers – and the yield could end up 30 per cent higher than in 2012. Chris Gedney, of growers TH Clements, of Boston, Lincs, said: “The conditions are absolutely ideal especially with the recent rain that has followed a good month of sunshine.†He said that this year’s early arrival will help make up for last year when heavy rain hampered growing and resulted in a poor harvest. The news came as summer is set to return next week with temperatures hitting 86F (30C) in parts of Britain.

But there will be a distinct North-South split with the best of the weather and highest temperatures in the South. Even so, forecasters say the North will still see thermometers rising into the mid to high 70s by Friday. In some regions, August could see a repeat of the scorching conditions seen in July. There is even a chance the hottest day of the year is yet to come, beating the 94F (34.2C) during last week’s Spanish plume. Jonathan Powell, of Vantage Weather Services, said Britain is braced for a late summer “heat spikeâ€. He said: “It is going to get much warmer again next week building to quite a significant spike mid week. “Temperatures in the South could get up to 86F or above, and while the North will be cooler and more unsettled, we could see temperatures in the high 70s. “As expected, this is another plume of warmth which is going to keep August quite warm, certainly during the first half.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/420980/Bumper-crop-of-sprouts-heralds-new-heatwave

Crazy how just a few short months ago back in march the good old sprout crop failed and they were saying prices were going to go through the roof !!!!!

Just proof that the weather can change things so quickly.

Here's a link that mentions the crop fail back in march,

Posted

UK weather: Autumn will be late, but it will bring a bumper crop

Autumn is set to be late this year, but when it arrives it should bring a bumper crop of fruits and berries in the countryside.

The autumn fruiting is expected to be delayed as a result of the late spring, but the recent warm weather means wild berry crops will flourish, according to early data collected by the Woodland Trust. The forecast for autumn comes as the Met Office promises a return to the warm weather this week.

Temperatures will remain around 22C (71.6F) with thundery showers, rain and sunny spells until Wednesday. There could even be localised flood and transport disruption due to the downpours.. But Thursday will see warm air arriving from the south temperatures reaching back up to 26C (78.8F) or higher†in the South East in sunny spells between cloudy periods. The warm weather is all helping autumn fruits to ripen in time for the late bumper harvest.

Dr Kate Lewthwaite, of the Woodland Trust, who manages a public survey known as Nature's Calendar to gauge what is happening with the weather, said already people are noticing lot of berries. "Although our records suggest that autumn fruiting will be late this year due to the delayed onset of spring flowering, if the warm weather interspersed with occasional wet spells continues, this should mean the fruiting of shrubs like bramble, rowan and blackthorn is abundant. "Wildlife species will no doubt benefit from a bumper crop, and finally fruit-eating birds and mammals will be able to enjoy an autumn feast."

Dr Lewthwaite said the bumper autumn is good news for wildlife, which suffered in the face of exceptionally poor crops of wild fruit last year when trees and shrubs were affected by the washout summer, and then were hit by this spring's cold snap. Records for 16 species of trees and shrubs collected since 2001 show that 14 including beech, holly and brambles or blackberries last year saw their worst season for fruiting since the turn of the century, with many recording only meagre crops. "Last year, birds and mammals suffered some of the poorest fruiting crop in years and this, coupled with the prolonged cold snap in spring, meant that many species had to endure a long period without a decent food supply."

The Met Office said there was “plenty to be optimistic about" this year, with warmer-than-average temperatures expected to continue in the South next weekend before showers are expected to die out with warm, dry weather in the South in the week leading up to the start of the August 24-26 Bank Holiday weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/10235882/UK-weather-Autumn-will-be-late-but-it-will-bring-a-bumper-crop.html

Posted

Posted

Weather helps to warm Northern Ireland's economic outlook

First rise in staffing levels for six months as sectors increase output

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/weather-helps-to-warm-northern-irelands-economic-outlook-29490724.html