Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

For some reason Madden thinks it is just him and the Met Office. No other forecasters seem to exist to him.

Posted

The only reason the met allways goes for warm is because the gov has some influence so they can bang their drum about globle warming most of wich is a lie. If any1 wants evidents email me and i will dropbox them to u. Sorry if i broke any of net weather's agreements when i signed upto to the forum.

It doesn't always go for warm. This winter so far it's been doing so because that's what the models forecast.

Posted

It doesn't always go for warm. This winter so far it's been doing so because that's what the models forecast.

and just to expand on that, it's because that's actually what's happened.

maybe some people think the Meto control the weather and they have made us a warm one to protect the global warming conspiracy....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The only reason the met allways goes for warm is because the gov has some influence so they can bang their drum about globle warming most of wich is a lie. If any1 wants evidents email me and i will dropbox them to u. Sorry if i broke any of net weather's agreements when i signed upto to the forum.

A very silly remark, that; typical of the Climate Change Deniers' propaganda machine. The weather this winter has been mild because it has.

Posted

sorry syed that post is completly wrong, how on earth can the government exert ANY influence on a weather forecast? Do you really believe what you have written? Think about it? Just what effect can AGW or GW have on any individual storm or the accuracy of any mode?. UK Met use not only their own several type grid length models but also every other model. So every government and every model is so affected you think?

come on let's be realistic mate.

Which model last November into December consistently went for cold, even severe cold, a good many days before it started? UK Met is the answer so where does your theory fit with that?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

112MPH WINDS BATTER BRITAIN

BRITAIN was battered by furious storms for the second time in a week yesterday when winds as high as 112mph wreaked havoc across the country. After a brief respite on Wednesday morning, the gale-force gusts picked up again in the evening and yesterday morning, causing widespread problems.

A woman and a 10-year-old boy had a miraculous escape when a tree flattened their car in Shenley, Hertfordshire. They were outside a primary school when the tree fell about 7.50am. Both were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

In a similar incident, two women had to be cut out of their car when a tree toppled on them in Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham.

Just a shame the Daily Express don't know where Stockton is it's Teesside

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293842/112mph-winds-batter-Britain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

sorry syed that post is completly wrong, how on earth can the government exert ANY influence on a weather forecast?

Do not go there! LOL

Although I'm not a conspiracist, i can mention something (without names)

I was working at my brothers Summer cafe one weekend, near to the beach .. somewhere in Dorset lol

A famous ex-weather forecaster for the MO turned up with his family, naturally being interested in weather, we had a good old chin wag. He told me that the Government do intervene with forecasts, it happened to him several times when he was working there. Both incidents were down to bank holiday forecasts for Bournemouth and Brighton. They were told to change the forecast to give the impression that bad weather would be due on these bank holiday dates, yet the complete opposite happened. He said the reasoning behind it was to stop thousands of people travelling to these destinations in cars and clogging up roads etc ..

There was even an article about the Bournemouth episode in our daily rag.

Now before i start getting attacked, or people telling me I'm absurd, that piece of information is 100% true. As i said, I'm no conspiracist, i'm just open minded. To be brutally honest, it didn't surprise me in the slightest.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Do not go there! LOL

I was working at my brothers Summer cafe one weekend, near to the beach .. somewhere in Dorset lol

A famous ex-weather forecaster for the MO turned up with his family, naturally being interested in weather, we had a good old chin wag. He told me that the Government do intervene with forecasts, it happened to him several times when he was working there. Both incidents were down to bank holiday forecasts for Bournemouth and Brighton. They were told to change the forecast to give the impression that bad weather would be due on these bank holiday dates, yet the complete opposite happened. He said the reasoning behind it was to stop thousands of people travelling to these destinations in cars and clogging up roads etc ..

Now before i start getting attacked, or people telling me I'm absurd, that piece of information is 100% true. As i said, I'm no conspiracist, i'm just open minded. To be brutally honest, it didn't surprise me in the slightest.

This is huge news, can you message me the name of the forecaster, the dates and which paper covered the story? did the forecaster mention which department, or better still the cabinet member who asked for the changes? I can either credit you fully for the info in the release or keep you out of it, your choice.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well I'm getting fed up with forecasters sayings it's cold when it isn't . Apparently tonights going to be cold at 6c. Sorry it's not cold thats mild at least this mornings forecaster before Carol Kirkwood got going said mild tonight with the same temps. I wish forecasters would reflect the averages rather than coming out with incorrect statements. I have no problems with feeling colder than recently it will feel cold becuase of the very strong wind but tonight neither is going is play and it's mild not cold.

Got to admit the weather girls have improved a lot and much better than they used to be but they need to improve as do some of more nesh male collegues.

Posted

Do not go there! LOL

Predicting barbecue summers, when they know it isn't going to happen (so people prepare for the summer, buying summer things rather than raincoats), in early spring to make people positive and spend more money!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8026668.stm

Edited by dixonoid

Posted

Do not go there! LOL

sorry I find that utterly unbeleivable-forgive me being so blunt but no right minded civil servant would do that. What on earth for and which person in government would ask such a thing.

IF you insist its true why did you not report it?

Perhaps you might like to pm me with the anme of the forecaster. He may well be someone I once worked with and I can then contact him-please?

Knowing how the system works with all the national forecasters on duty at any one time, the duty forecasters at the weather centres(they were still open in the time scale you appear to be suggesting) the senior man and they ALL had to lie to fit in with this one spot location-no definitely not-sorry again to be so blunt.

Indeed unless you really have a go at me AND pm me with details I will ensure the story is passed to the current head of forecasting.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

. What on earth for and which person in government would ask such a thing.

Maybe anyone with power in the government, recent stories in the media, expenses and such things, no reason for the government to do something like this? Sorry but i've got no faith in the establishment!

Posted

Maybe anyone with power in the government, recent stories in the media, expenses and such things, no reason for the government to do something like this? Sorry but i've got no faith in the establishment!

I know the system, okay it was 1995 when I was last actively involved but I have contacts within Met and to the best of my knowledge no major change in working practices have occurred to allow any such approach. I could say if that had happened to me or indeed the senior duty forecasters I knew at the time the person making the call would have, politely been told what to do with themselves and the telphone call reported immediately to whoever my boss was and in the case of the senior man, in those days at Bracknell, to the Head of Forecasting. No doubt the Director General, now called Chief Executive, would have been brought into it and made a personal call to the Minister of Defence?

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

If you thought through what you have written for ten intelligent and logical seconds, you would realise that it is nonsense. If the government wanted people to believe in global warming, the last thing they would do is force the Met Office to issue artificially warm forecasts - for the obvious reason that those who doubt the existence of GW would believe in it even LESS if they kept reading warm forecasts, but kept experiencing cold weather. Unless, of course, you believe that the government has not just the power to change forecasts, but the power to change the weather in line with them.....

If the Government did want their drum-banging "lie" to be accepted by doubters, and if they had the power (which they don't) to make the Met Office alter forecasts, they would try and get artificially COLD ones issued, so people would think, "Well, they keep saying it's going to be cold, but I reckon it's pretty damned warm". This would tend to make them believe that people in power were trying to hide how warm it was becoming.

If you have "evidents" that the government is doing stuff like this in either direction, why not post it - or links to it - in the Climate Change area of the forum? Or if you prefer (?why), send it to me by PM.

PS Is it Global Warming altogether you think is mostly a lie, or just that the warming is anthropogenic i.e. that we are to blame for it? Do you actually still doubt that the world's climate has warmed significantly in recent years?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

If anyone wants to know who killed Kennedy, PM me, I've had some interesting encounters in pubs too you know... :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Firstley i never said they control forecast no1 can it would be rather stupid of me to come out with something like that. The met do a good job most time i was talking about globle warming and evidents r in those leaked climate files. Take alook at some of emails. U then will c what i mean and yes i have big dous about globle warming.

Posted

Now before i start getting attacked, or people telling me I'm absurd, that piece of information is 100% true.

I have just spent a long time trawling archive material and the pages available from publications in that area and can't find anything except this thread in search engines (and believe me, I have looked deeply!). Can you post a link into the article (or even just tell me which actual publication it was and the year) as something of an exposé on this level should have been headline news and not just in a local rag. This if true, is of national interest and is the sort of thing that should be looked into further.

If any1 wants evidents email me and i will dropbox them to u.

Yes please, PM me with the evidence as this is very much what would be needed for such a bold claim and it really needs dealing with at a much higher level.

The following speculation is all I could find:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/01/11/the-plot-thickens-bbc-hits-uk-govt-with-freedom-of-information-demand-in-cold-winter-forecast-fiasco/

Posted

Gott in Himmel! What a load of conspiracy-theorist drivel!

From whence do these nonsensical claims originate, one wonders?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

A very good site i got the leaked climate files the day they came out few hours later i tryed to get those files all the links were taken off when i'm on my pc i'l copy some of the emails. I am mor than happy to give u guys the intire file but its over 300mb il try to upload them on sendspace and post the link on here.

Posted

The first thing that might help, syed, is if you could pleeeeeaaase try and break up your sentences with some punctuation? Maybe I'm getting old, but while I can just about cope with your spelling, the long strings of unpunctuated words take me an annoying amount of time to decipher.

As to your evidence/"evidents", if you are referring to the "climategate" leaked emails from the University of E Anglia Climate Research Unit - see here http://en.wikipedia....ail_controversy - then don't bother. Most of us here know all about them, have read many of them, and many - perhaps most - of us (including me) do not believe they show evidence of anything except - at worst - impatience, poor judgement and some arrogance. The one thing they certainly do not show is evidence of government interference with the process of weather forecasting, as you originally claimed.

If you have other evidence, then please let us see it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

What I will say though its subjective, the 'weather presenters' we have now always quote possible max temps of an inner city as if they are the general max temps. Many times this winter and last you hear 'with temps up to 11c, and indeed its been only 8c here inRredhill but of course you see the 11c was only possible in centre of London. I'm sorry but there are ' issues' with forecasters and the quotes of 'look at the incredibly mild' temps when they are nothing out of the ordinary and have happened so many times in the past.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

DELUGE NEEDED TO BEAT MAJOR DROUGHT IN UK

LARGE areas of England face major water shortages by May after a year so dry that parts of the country are now classified as deserts.

Worst hit are the Midlands, East Anglia, the South-West and the South-East.

Based on rainfall figures for last year, East Anglia now qualifies as a semi-arid desert – having had less than 500mm of rain – and the Midlands and South almost qualify.

East Anglia had 449mm of rain in 2011, the lowest total since 1921 and the second-lowest ever recorded, Met Office figures show.

Long-range forecasters Positive Weather Solutions say only January will be wetter than average in England, with an average February, March below average and April rainfall down by almost 40%.

Helen Vale, the Environment Agency’s assistant national drought co-ordinator, said: “Central, eastern and southern areas are at high risk of drought in spring and summer if we do not get prolonged periods of rainfall. This could include more drought permits and several water companies are forecasting the possible need for restrictions to be in place in the spring.â€

http://www.dailystar...-drought-in-UK/

• Like 1

Posted

What I will say though its subjective, the 'weather presenters' we have now always quote possible max temps of an inner city as if they are the general max temps. Many times this winter and last you hear 'with temps up to 11c, and indeed its been only 8c here inRredhill but of course you see the 11c was only possible in centre of London. I'm sorry but there are ' issues' with forecasters and the quotes of 'look at the incredibly mild' temps when they are nothing out of the ordinary and have happened so many times in the past.

BFTP

That's odd, Fred. During last June's and October's mini-heatwaves, the beeb were using such phrases as, and possibly 32 in central London.