Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

So much for the Siberian freeze, egg on their faces or what!!!

And that's why know one should believe the press and more so the Daily Express.

Twice they forecast cold and snow for this Autumn and what we have had so far is a very mild one.

Posted

Daily Express in top corner said today 'Warmest November for 353 years but watch out December cold blast on it's way!'...after further reading the cold blast they were referring to came from the METO predicting early December temps would drop to near normal values of 45/46f but it would feel colder than of recent weeks. So once again Daily Express misinterpreting quotes, no mention at all of the Big November Freeze going missing either! Give me the Daily Star anytime. :)

Posted

So much for the Siberian freeze, egg on their faces or what!!!

Egg on the faces of those who predicted a Siberian freeze, not for the MetO or Netweather, who didn't.

• Like 1

Posted

Egg on the faces of those who predicted a Siberian freeze, not for the MetO or Netweather, who didn't.

And egg on the faces of the trashy press, not that they care.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Re: BBC new website weather page - it just seems to me like too noisy graphics and content lite - no different than printed weather page in dead tree press :(

Posted

Re: BBC new website weather page - it just seems to me like too noisy graphics and content lite - no different than printed weather page in dead tree press :(

It's not as bad as the new Beta BBC home page, but I agree that it is very content-lite.

This doesn't bode well:

"UK Summary

Mostly dry overnight, with cloud reforming. Becoming chilly by dawn.

Unfortunately we are having problems with this forecast information. We are working hard to get everything back to normal as soon as possible."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Get the Hover ready..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061766/UK-warm-weather-mean-bad-news-Christmas-trees.html

Britain in desperate need of a cold snap… or the nation’s Christmas trees will shed their needles before the big day

Posted

Some positive feedback on weather reporting for once!

In Chicago last week, I caught the WGN TV lunchtime forecast. The foecaster was an old-timer, and went into great detail; he showed the jetstream, talked about the cold air bottled up in Canada and why it wouldn't really reach Chicago for the time being, showed detailed pressure and H500 maps, and then gave a two minute section on historic weather. How I wish I could see this in the UK!

Then, last night I was watching the Weather Channel. Mostly this is just dumbed down noise, with most of the forecasters acting as presenters instead of meteorologists. There are some notable exceptions: Dr Greg Forbes (the Severe Weather Expert!) goes into a lot of detail about thunderstorms and tornadoes. They have some really cool technology now which lets him take a vertical cross section of an active storm and show the PPN content. For example, the graph will show how high the PPN reaches ("only 2500 feet so not a big storm") and he can also pinpoint tornadoes and what they look like on the vertical PPN. Very cool! Those who have chased in the US may have seen some of his forecasts as when there is a severe outbreak, he is very interesting.

The other standout forecaster is Jim Cantore. There's a classic video of him covering the 1993 blizzard in Massachussets, when thunder breaks out behid him. He's like a kid in a sweetshop and has massive enthusiasm for all types of weather. This was illustrated last night when he was forecasting the path of an Upper Midwest snowstorm for this weekend. Minneapolis, the only city of any real size up there, is on the edge and is looking at snow - rain - snow or all snow. He actually showed the ECM model (all snow) and then compared the GFS model which shows the centre of the low coming closer to Minneapolis. He then gave his reasons for favouring the ECM model ("once dense cold air is in place it's like trying to move a brick with a feather, so I'm siding with the European model"). Quality, standout weather coverage in amongst what is generally dumbed down crap.

• Like 1

Posted

This Autumns ' volatile weather ' ???? Have I fallen asleep and missed something interesting in the past couple of months ? Its been about as volatile as a sloth chasing a snail through a quagmire. Sheesh

Posted

More utter bobbins from the Daily Fail:

http://www.dailymail...ing-winter.html

Aaargh. When will anyone learn that the amount of fruit on a plant is a reflection of what happened in the previous winter/sping/summer not a prediction of what will happen next winter. Plants don't think ahead (any more than county councils' grit-buying peeps).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Have just read a small article in the Manchester Evening news reference Christmas Day

According to the paper Manchester has odds of 6/1 for a white christmas the paper also

goes on to say that they expect 0.5cm of snow to fall in the city on the 25th Dec LOL :rofl:

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

IMO The Express, The Mail, and all those 'expert forecasters' (many probably being fictitious anyway?) deserve a good kicking!

• Like 1

Posted

Aaargh. When will anyone learn that the amount of fruit on a plant is a reflection of what happened in the previous winter/sping/summer not a prediction of what will happen next winter. Plants don't think ahead (any more than county councils' grit-buying peeps).

But these ones already think it's next Summer!!!! http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

The weather's gone quackers! Ducks born six months early and roses bloom in November

Balmy conditions see invasion of Mediterranean moths and a banana tree bear fruit in Cornwall

Posted Image

These three ducklings are the result of Britain's amazingly warm autumn - as the weather convinced their mother it was spring and therefore time to give birth. Named Millicent, Margot and Mildred they were born in a pond in King's Somborne, near Winchester, Hants, and are now being kept alive in a makeshift incubator in a conservatory.

Another colourful symptom of the extraordinary weather is the sight of flowers in full bloom. One garden centre near Wolverhampton still has blooming roses in stock. The balmy conditions have also resulted in an invasion of Mediterranean moths to the UK as well as a banana tree to bear fruit in a public park in Cornwall. The warm weather is set to continue for the foreseeable future with the south of England set to remain at around 60F (15C) for the rest of the week.

The three ducklings were part of a brood of nine born in Hampshire earlier this month. Sadly, the temperature dropped drastically after they hatched and only three made it through the first night. The survivors have now been rescued by animal lover Sarah Beaurain, 45, who is keeping them warm in her conservatory. Sarah, a self-employed tailor, feeds them a varied diet of corn, wheat and mealworms and gives them water to bathe in. She said it was likely there was only enough room for three ducklings to shelter under their mother's wings when all the eggs hatched. The 45-year-old said: 'I was astonished when a friend phoned me on Guy Fakwes night to say nine ducklings had hatched in her pond. They usually hatch in spring.

'We agreed we should let the parents try and raise them naturally but intervene if they appeared to be struggling. 'Sadly six of them failed to make it through their first night so I decided I should take the others in. 'My friend put them in a basket and put it on her Aga to keep them warm until I could collect them. 'I'm now keeping them in a foldable storage box, fitted with a warm lamp. It's like a home-made incubator. 'We have had an incredibly warm autumn and I was even able to sit out in my garden in a T-shirt in October. 'But the ducks do not know what month it is - I guess they were fooled by the warm weather, got a bid broody and successfully had these ducklings. '

The weather then took a turn for the worse and the little ones could not cope. I'm happy to give them a helping hand.' She added: 'The ducklings are now in fantastic health and squeal with delight when I give them mealworms.' The mother duck is an Indian Runner and the dad a Khaki Campbell. Sarah, from nearby Stockbridge, hopes to domesticate them and keep them in her duckhouse, which is currently occupied by a dozen chickens. She will introduce them back outside gradually, starting with a small run in the day time. They will be brought back in at night. If the ducklings are female, they may produce up to 200 eggs each per year, which Sarah will use for cooking.

The incredible weather conditions also led to the discovery of a bunch of bananas growing in a public park in Cornwall.

Posted Image

Unseasonal: Sarah Poole, 20, examines a flowering banana in a public park in Cornwall

Hundreds of rare moths which are typically found in the Mediterranean, such as this Deaths Head Hawk Moth, are still flocking to the UK just weeks before Christmas due to the unusually warm weather. Experts have been stunned to see rare migrant moths continuing to arrive in Britain at this time of year. Pictured is a Palpita Moth

Posted Image

The continuous warm and wet weather has mirrored that of the banana tree's native tropical climate, causing them to bear fruit in an extremely unusual occurrence. Experts said it was 'virtually unheard of' for bananas to grow in the wild in England, where the fruit would ordinarily freeze and die at this time of year.

But two bunches were spotted sprouting at Rosehill Fox Gardens in Falmouth, Cornwall, which hosts a series of exotic tropical flora. Claire Vickers, from nearby sub tropical Trebah Gardens said: 'We have had such a mild autumn and those plants that have come from the Southern Hemisphere originally, they get confused, they get amnesia and they think "hang on, this is when we normally flower". 'It tends to be particularly things like banana plants which are native to countries on the other half of the world where they would be going into their summer at this time of year. 'Our climate has given them this false impression that it's actually getting warmer rather than getting colder - It's confused, bless it.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1e3l3PPNi

Posted

IMO The Express, The Mail, and all those 'expert forecasters' (many probably being fictitious anyway?) deserve a good kicking!

Why is anyone shocked by anything the Express or Mail publish? At least The Sun and Mirror don't pretend to be serious newspapers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Why is anyone shocked by anything the Express or Mail publish? At least The Sun and Mirror don't pretend to be serious newspapers!

OT I suppose, but is there such a thing as a serious newspaper? :search:

They are run as big business consortiums and sell as many copies of the "unbelievable tripe" as they can, in order to keep the shareholders happy.

Mind you, I do feel this is an example of responsible journalism from the guardian, as posted by Coast, in the winter thread.

http://tinyurl.com/7hso3kt

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

They are certianly better than the Mail and Express, they certainly do not overdo the weather on the front page.

Posted

Haha! The Daily Mail has done it again!

Now we have fog, cancelled flights and there may even be snow on the way! (to svalbad) :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063928/UK-weather-forecast-Fog-cancels-flights-gale-force-winds-frosts-way.html

Posted

I was chuckling at some of the comments i.e.:

I'm still waiting for the Siberian weather you predicted a month ago DM, stick to the showbiz, at least you're semi- correct with that stuff.

Posted

They really need to fill their papers with any 'old pap' they can - big chill temps of 44.6f (strange) in the north and 50f in the south which will be fractionally above average for the time of year - well done Daily Express for trying to justify your previous headlines!! :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

With what you know about their approach to weather news, have a think next time you read a story about, say, immigration, the EU or "the youth of today" in one of those rags... :bad:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BRRRACE YOURSELF FOR SNOW AND ICE

BRITAIN is to face sub-zero temperatures by the weekend as winter finally arrives.

Britain will be blasted by snow and ice following weeks of unseasonably high temperatures.

Forecasters said the balmy autumn weather will end today as southerly winds are replaced by freezing north-westerlies from the Arctic.

Forecaster Jonathan Powell, from Positive Weather Solutions, said: “Falling temperatures will be a shock to the system after the remarkably mild autumn we’ve had.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/221732/Brrrace-yourself-for-snow-and-ice/

• Like 1

Posted

They really need to fill their papers with any 'old pap' they can - big chill temps of 44.6f (strange) in the north and 50f in the south which will be fractionally above average for the time of year - well done Daily Express for trying to justify your previous headlines!! :doh:

44.6F! I do hope the authorities are prepared for the likely chaos.

• Like 1

Posted

Now the Torygraph's joined in, although in slightly less apocalyptic terms: apparently night-time temperatures are set to "plunge" to 5C in places!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8904311/Winter-weather-to-start-this-week.html