Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Woo, University of Reading xD

Woo, 2 of my lecturers xD

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oh dear Kate Humble, November is NOT the start of Winter! http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

• Like 3

Posted

Well apart from some stupid errors from Kate, I thought that was brilliant. Certainly better than the usual dumbed down rubbish you get these days.

• Like 2

Posted

It definitely got better as it progressed. I thought it provided a balanced view of long-range forecasting, reminding that it cannot nail the specifics and that we shouldn't rely on them too much when planning for winter (surely you prepare for the worst regardless).

Posted

For what it's worth I thought the programme was good and enlightening. For example I didn't realise Morrisons had a contract with the Netweather Forums. Just to add the worst nightmare. When rain precedes snow regarding gritting.

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

T'was good, yep!

I liked the quote along the lines of "Just where do the newspaper agencies get their forecasts from?"

I think we know some of the muppets and those who ain't, but they will be no extra publicity from me in that regard.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Good viewing on BBC2, a few mistakes from Kate but overall quite good. So the Meto aren't expecting a particularly cold Winter but they did make clear that anyone who tries to predict and state exactly what the weather will be doing in a month or twos time is a fool.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

i did wait in anticipation when they showed the newspaper headlines, as to whether James Madden would make an appearance. fortunately, they didn't dignify him with even a mention and as was said during the programme, forecasting specifics months in advance is impossible. i hope he was watching!

Posted

Wasn;t to bad I thought, just highlighted the same arguments that go on, on here every winter!

Surely that's the point. Everyone on here is an expert whereas the programme was aimed at the general public.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Good viewing on BBC2, a few mistakes from Kate but overall quite good. So the Meto aren't expecting a particularly cold Winter but they did make clear that anyone who tries to predict and state exactly what the weather will be doing in a month or twos time is a fool.

That's not specifically correct, rather that the MetO guy (not sure of his name?) was suggesting this for predictions on a specific day i.e Xmas day, in his case.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

They also showed a glimpse of the Met Office high resolution UKV model. I've seen some of the charts close up and they are incredibly detailed. If only we had access to such data!

Posted

Surely that's the point. Everyone on here is an expert whereas the programme was aimed at the general public.

miiaooow!!!

Posted

That's not specifically correct, rather that the MetO guy (not sure of his name?) was for someone predicting a specific day i.e Xmas day, in his case.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Much the same thing, was it really worth that sort of nitpicking

Posted

That's not specifically correct, rather that the MetO guy (not sure of his name?) was for someone predicting a specific day i.e Xmas day, in his case.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Ewen McCallum. Still going strong. He once sat on one of my promotion boards. Streuth I'm going for the violin.

Posted

They also showed a glimpse of the Met Office high resolution UKV model. I've seen some of the charts close up and they are incredibly detailed. If only we had access to such data!

One day Nick, you can arrange it for us all.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

One day Nick, you can arrange it for us all.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Maybe, just maybe :D

Posted

Ewen McCallum. Still going strong. He once sat on one of my promotion boards. Streuth I'm going for the violin.

Thanks, seen him on TV before, seems very knowledgeable and level headed. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

For what it's worth I thought the programme was good and enlightening. For example I didn't realise Morrisons had a contract with the Netweather Forums. Just to add the worst nightmare. When rain precedes snow regarding gritting.

No neither did I and I work there :p

Posted

Much the same thing, was it really worth that sort of nitpicking

No and yes. Specifics, I'm not generalising and Ewan was referring to a specific date down the line. Currently Xmas day is t+1152 if my maths are correct? So even Einstein couldn't nail that day at this range. Hope that helps, Liam. :good:

Mind you, it just shows how easy it is to misquote someone. Our very own Paul M, knows that to his cost in recent months. :80:

Us humans are not infallible and neither are numerical models.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Enjoyed it, mainly because I could shout at the screen and let everyone know what they were about to say.

In regards to the mistakes at the start, was December2010 not the Coldest December for over a century?

October was "One" of the Warmest Octobers on record aswell, not the warmest.

Can't complain though, they were just minor mistakes.

Posted

did anyone spot kate's grit error? she said there are an extra 1500 tons of grit stockpiled around the country for this winter. yet glasgow holds 22,000 tons of grit alone and upwards of 50,000 tons of grit can be used per day!!

Posted

No and yes. Specifics, I'm not generalising and Ewan was referring to a specific date down the line. Currently Xmas day is t+1152 if my maths are correct? So even Einstein couldn't nail that day at this range. Hope that helps, Liam. :good:

Mind you, it just shows how easy it is to misquote someone. Our very own Paul M, knows that to his cost in recent months. :80:

Us humans are not infallible and neither are numerical models.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

The 25th of December is just under two months away, anyone predicting that it will categorically snow on this date is trying to state exactly what the weather will be doing two months into the future, which is what I posted.

Anyway that's it no more bickering, thanks. :)

Posted

Thanks, seen him on TV before, seems very knowledgeable and level headed. :good:

I had to smile at that comment.

He is the head of the forecast division at the Met Office!

yep, I'll join you-he was one of the lecturers on my AFC (Advanced Forecast Course), I could tell a story about him but won't!