Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

Yes, the tabloid (mostly) media take everything out of context, but if the MetO (although generally I don't think they're too bad) were more media-savvy in what they produce, they could avoid being quoted in support of such misinformation. Do they court the publicity in order to attract custom from the private sector?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

http://www.dailymail...er-weekend.html

Take a look at those beautiful photos.

a nice story, not ice age talk this time as much fun as that can be to read! but rather a story of autumn colder weather as can be in october, we do get frosts and can be cold now, the warmth is more unusual at the moment, it would be exciting to be having low level or hill snow as far south as the midlands for example, but its more likely the scottish high ground at this stage to see snow, but we will have to just wait and see how it rolls out!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

I must say these reporters must have esp if they could heare the sun making a noise when it's rising. Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Proof that they don't know what they talk about - they refer about half way down the article to the photo as a 'sunset'. It's clearly a 'sunrise' over Tynemouth! Schoolboy journalistic inconsistency, even in the same article. And I love the bit about the sun rising silently! Has anyone ever heard it make a noise?

Posted Image

Quite frequently!

It usually makes a yawning noise :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

And to top it all off, i've also spotted some more UFO/Seagulls in the picture with the silent sunset.Posted Image

Posted

BRITAIN FACES A MINI 'ICE AGE'

Used in blown up poster size by ASDA in Eastbourne just by a pile of snow shovels and sledges! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, an intersting piece written by John Hirst, Chief Exec at the Meto about the recent crazy stories in the media for the coming winter.

http://www.metoffice...e-times-opinion

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Freak heatwave to hit this weekend - and forecasters say October will be hotter than summer

Britain will revel in another freak heatwave this weekend with October turning out to be hotter than our miserable summer.

The unseasonably warm autumn will continue with sunshine expected across Britain today and tomorrow, and the country basking in record temperatures.

At a time of year in which the country normally steels itself against biting winds and bone-chilling downpours, the heat reached 20.8c yesterday and will stay at those levels into the weekend.

Sunday will be cloudy but still warm, as Britain gets to forgo the winter woollies for a little while longer.

But it looks like our last chance to make up for the barbecue weekends missed in June and July, before the weather turns colder and wetter next week.

Temperatures are set to plummet from Monday, as forecasters warn of snow in Scotland and nationwide frosts later this month.

Central England – the area between London, Bristol and Manchester - has enjoyed the hottest weather for the first two weeks of October in 350 years.

And the balmy temperatures of the past few days have topped June's 14c daytime average and the 15c of July and August.

So with the Indian summer not over yet, only the arrival of Halloween will be making us shiver for now.

http://www.dailymail.co....ummer.html#ixzz1akksPW2z

Get ready for the last of the summer sun

FREAK warm weather is set to deliver Britain a bonus slice of sun this weekend in the middle of October.

The mercury is predicted to hit unusual balmy highs of 18C (64F) after a week of windy, overcast weather.

With winter just two weeks away, it seems incredible rays of sunshine are forecast yet again.

Weird weather so far this autumn has seen lambs being born after a Devon flock confused the season for spring.

And one farmer in Peterborough, Cambs, was able to grow a second crop of strawberries in the heat.

The glorious weather this weekend means millions who thought the Indian Summer was over have a second bite of the cherry.

It means seaside resorts could be given a massive extra boost as tourists return for one last hurrah.

Excited families will be dusting off the buckets and spades, while ice cream vans roll out for an unexpected end of season boom.

Met Office spokesman Dan Williams said: "The warm spell we've had has been very unusual.

"It's the high air pressure that caused that which will come into play again.

Positive Weather Solutions' Emily Quiggin said October's weather had been caused by conditions from Europe.

She said: "The reason for this warm spell is due to a high pressure system sitting east of the UK bringing warm south- easterly winds up from the continent, as far as southern France and Spain.

"As the winds travel over the dry continent, the moisture is removed meaning clear skies and sunshine warming up the ground and air."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/...t-of-the-summer-sun.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Icy winds coming from the Arctic could bring sleet and hail showers to areas of higher ground, with one forecaster even predicting snow over the coming week.

http://www.dailymail...ter-summer.html Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Daily express has another classic headline today!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/277583

Arctic blast to bring snow! Posted Image A dusting as far south as devon and somerset!? Posted Image where did they get that from?!

Posted

Yeh just to say, I didn't say maxes in single figures, I said overnight mins, with some frosts. I also said it wouldn't be unusually cold and there would be no snow away from the higher ground of northern Britain. Plus, I didn't say after the recent 'hot' weather, I said mild weather...

Posted

Oh dear The Daily Express, what on earth are they on about!! LOL

Some poor souls will believe every word of this, they will be the ones you see rushing into Asda to buy the snow shovels already on sale ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yeh just to say, I didn't say maxes in single figures, I said overnight mins, with some frosts. I also said it wouldn't be unusually cold and there would be no snow away from the higher ground of northern Britain. Plus, I didn't say after the recent 'hot' weather, I said mild weather...

Hi Paul,

They only misquoted you on at least 4 different occasions then. All these FACTS being vital for the overall message you are trying to put across. Posted Image

Will you write back to them, saying that you were misquoted and that you require recompense, resulting in damage to yours/ours Posted Image website's reputation. Posted Image Maybe not? what a waste of time they are! Posted Image Small wonder, why fewer people are buying newspapers, at least for news!

Brrr. Cold this morning and already an air frost, down parts of Oxfordshire and Hampshire.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

If i was you Paul i would refuse to give and story's to the media until they learn to get there facts right and not misquote you.

The Express is getting worse everytime with the weather storys making typical Autumn weather sound like it's the end of the world, it's October forgod sake what else do they expect this is the time we can expect North Westerly winds bring cooler weather and snow for the Mountains ect.

Posted

Personally I think the paper is a joke, I like how about a week a go they had a caption at the top of the paper saying 'We told you so' as there was snow at the top of the Cairngorms (Aviemore) which lasted a day or so - which must have been experienced by millions Posted Image of people and is duly fortifying their headlines from a few weeks previous.

Edited by Timmy H

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hey guys i would like to heare your views on this article from the today's daily mail. A new volcano could pose a threat larger than last year's air-traffic paralysing eruption in Iceland, according to experts.

Seismologists are nervously watching rumblings beneath a much more powerful Icelandic volcano call Katla, which could spew an ash cloud that will make the 2010 eruption look tame by comparison.

Brooding over rugged moss-covered hills on Iceland's southern edge, Katla is a much bigger beast than the nearby Eyjafjallajokul volcano, which spewed ash all over Europe for several weeks in an eruption that local scientist Pall Einarsson describes nonetheless as 'small.'

A view towards the Katla Volcano which may be showing signs of eruption

Named after an evil troll, Katla has a larger magma chamber than Eyjafjallajokul - the eruption of which cost airlines £1.3 billion.

Its last major eruption in 1918 continued for more than a month, turning day into night, starving crops of sunlight and killing off livestock.

The eruption melted some of the volcano's covering ice-sheet, flooding surrounding farmland with a torrent of water that some accounts have said measured as wide as the Amazon.

Posted

Cold snap to end UK's Indian summer

Ground and air frosts forecast for most areas by Wednesday, but warmer weather predicted for weekend

The poet John Betjeman's "early nip of changeful autumn" is about to arrive with a vengeance in the UK, with ground frost and snow on high ground ending the Indian summer. Disbelieving chortles over forecasts of an abrupt change will die away as temperatures fall sharply from the pleasantly unseasonal 18.6C (65.4F) reached on Sunday in Southampton and the Royal Horticultural Society's gardens at Wisley, Surrey.

A cold front started pushing towards Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern parts of England and Wales on Monday, making slow but inexorable progress. Icy winds brought rain which turned to sleet and some snow on mountain tops, as forecasters had predicted for the past month. "Tuesday is when most of us will start to feel a chill in the air," said Andy Ratcliffe of MeteoGroup. "It looks as if there will be strong gusts of wind of up to 70mph along the cold front and also some large rainfalls."

By Wednesday evening, temperatures were expected to fall to 1C (33.8F) across most of the UK, and below freezing in northern areas. The warm weather was fighting a rearguard action, with Monday's highs of 17C (62.6F) falling slowly to a predicted 14C (57.2F) on Tuesday, but all the indicators were pointing steeply down."It's going to be pretty cold everywhere across the UK on Wednesday night, with widespread ground frost expected in the whole of the UK and perhaps air frost in places too," said Ratcliffe. On the brighter side, the front is to be followed across the Atlantic by warmer conditions which will bring milder weather at the weekend – but no hope of the record 29C (84.2F) reached at the start of October.

Talk of another cold winter persists but Met Office forecasts stretch only a month ahead, and the weather between now and mid-November is predicted to be "around average for temperatures, rainfall and sunshine". Amateur forecasters continue, however, to point to bumper crops of berries and other signs in the natural world that a big freeze may strike before Christmas.

Record numbers of barnacle geese, known for their yapping cry, arrived with the cold front on Loch Gruinart nature reserve in Islay on Scotland's west coast. The local manager for the RSPB, Jack Fleming, said: "We've got wall-to-wall feathers at the reserve at the moment, it's absolutely incredible. Feeding conditions at the reserve, and probably the weather while the birds were migrating, have brought more of the existing population here at the same time. It's a remarkable spectacle morning and evening."

http://www.guardian....r?newsfeed=true

Posted

Interesting piece from Irish Weather online. It does feature a broad analysis of the PWS Winter 2011 forecast, but this bit caught my eye:

The UK Met Office last week distanced itself from recent media reports that the UK and Ireland are set for an ‘Arctic Winter’. The UKMO, which stopped issuing seasonal forecasts in 2010, also has said that recent long range forecasts by other agencies “bear no relation to the kinds of weather that forecasters at the Met Office are currently expecting”.

iWeather Online (IWO) also has forecast that Ireland and the UK are unlikely to see a repeat of the pre-Christmas freeze of 2010. Temperatures are expected to remain below average for much of the coming season, however, according to the IWO forecast. In an opinion piece for The Times, UKMO Chief Executive John Hirst called for a sense of reason in response to the claims of other forecasting agencies in weeks.

According to the UK Met Office: “Over the past few weeks, there have been some colourful headlines in some parts of the media about what’s in store for this year’s winter in the UK. Reports of ‘-20C within weeks’, ‘A winter fuel crisis on the way’ and ‘Widespread snow in October’ have all raised expectations that we’re in for an ‘Arctic winter’. [These headlines] bear no relation to the kinds of weather that forecasters at the Met Office are currently expecting – there is no need for alarm.”

Last month, a UK-based long-range weather forecaster issued his prediction of an early start to winter 2011-2012 for many regions of the United Kingdom and Ireland. James Madden of Exacta Weather forecast heavy snowfalls in places as soon as late October and early November.

World Climate Service (WCS), a joint venture of Prescient Weather Ltd and MeteoGroup, said it expected the coming winter to be dominated by a negative phase of the NAO, resulting in colder, dryer, and less windy than average weather on the British Isles, in France, Germany, and the Nordic and Baltic countries.

Weather Services International (WSI), a member of The Weather Channel companies, also is predicting a colder than average winter 2011-12 for Ireland.

According to the UKMO’s John Hirst: “These stories do reflect our national obsession with the weather but they can also confuse and even scare vulnerable people. The Met Office’s job is to provide accurate and reliable information and at this stage we see no scientific evidence to support these premature predictions.”

“In fact the scientific capability does not exist to allow such extremes to be identified on a long-range timescale… no forecaster can say whether we’ll see a week of -20C temperatures in Manchester in the second week of December. This does not mean that harsh winter conditions are not possible, just that they cannot be identified at the moment.”

He continues: “As winter approaches, local government and businesses are preparing for the worst that the British weather can throw at us. But the fact that local authorities are stocking up on grit is no cause for alarm. This is what contingency planners do. In fact, their preparations are encouraging because they mean the country should be in a good position to respond to our short-range forecasts of severe weather.”

“Last year there was some confusion between our longer-range outlook which provided good advice over the whole winter – as January and February were relatively mild – and our shorter-range forecasts that correctly identified the prolonged cold and snowy weather early in the winter. In fact, our forecasts of where and when it would snow were second to none. Although it is not possible to prevent disruption, our detailed forecasts allowed agencies to put their resources in the right place at the right time to ensure that it was kept to a minimum.”

“In recent years we have seen great scientific and technological advances that allow us to warn of impending severe weather with ever greater lead times and with ever greater detail”, Mr. Hirst concluded.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/atmosphere/cold/positive-weather-solutions-issues-winter-2011-12-forecast-for-uk-and-ireland/42362.html

Posted

Interesting piece from Irish Weather online. It does feature a broad analysis of the PWS Winter 2011 forecast, but this bit caught my eye:

http://www.irishweat...land/42362.html

I would rather rather listen to the UK Meto than any mentioned above even tho they sound fantastic with the cold and snowy outlooks, the Meto did predict the prolonged and very cold weather with expertise last year. They obviously aren't expecting another cold winter this year (at the current time)

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I don't think Hirst would have any problem with this type of output, it's the sensationalist claptrap peddled by the likes of Madden that forced him to

issue the kind of statement that he did recently - and quite rightly too in my opinion.

Posted

Double Rainbow Arcs Over Capital's Skyline

An amazing sight of a double rainbow arcing over the London skyline ended a day of mixed weather in the capital.

It is thought the rainbows stretched between Russell Square and Covent Garden. There may have been no pots of gold - but those lucky enough to spot the phenomenon will treasure the dramatic image.

A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the sun shines on to droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16097058

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

To be fair that is relatively toned down for the fail!

So much for the snow it said we were meant to be seeing by now! Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Birmingham to Fazeley Canal, Bodymoor Heath, North Warwickshire
  • Location: Birmingham to Fazeley Canal, Bodymoor Heath, North Warwickshire