Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

Is that really today's front page headline?

james madden again...

anyone know a good hit-man?.....

Posted

Well, at least it's not global warming rubbish, hopefully that load of tosh will be dead and buried under all the advancing glaciers and snowdrifts.

*waits for backlash* Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Where on earth do they get this utter tosh to print in the papers, -20c within weeks rofl

I hope no one actually believes this rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It depends where -20 is to be, as this is possible in places during severe frosts, i dont think anyones going to be laughing when it turns up! Posted Image

Posted

It depends where -20 is to be, as this is possible in places during severe frosts, i dont think anyones going to be laughing when it turns up! Posted Image

Providing we get a deep cold air mass over the UK during the winter, we don't get to -20c very often that's for sure :)

I love the optimism 'when it turns up' *if it turns up LOL ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I'd so laugh if we get the mildest winter even then there would be a lot of egg on faces and a lot of wasted grit. I've got to say the amount of scare mongering amongst the media has reached all new levels, far greater than the failed heatwave of 2009. A big freeze within weeks is just comical.

Posted

I'd so laugh if we get the mildest winter even then there would be a lot of egg on faces and a lot of wasted grit. I've got to say the amount of scare mongering amongst the media has reached all new levels, far greater than the failed heatwave of 2009. A big freeze within weeks is just comical.

To be fair, even if the grit stockpiles aren't used this winter, they will almost certainly be needed in the coming years as solar activity probably becomes extremely weak or even non existent in the second half of the decade...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Scary thing is how many people do believe the stories in the papers, after the DM printed the -20 story the amount of people I know who shared it on Fb and Twitter is unreal. When i suggested this "may" not happen I was told there must be truth to it if it's been printed in the papers......!!

Posted

According to The Sunday Times:

"The warning (of another cold winter) coincides with research from the Met Office suggesting that Europe could be facing a return of the "little ice age" that gripped Britain 300 years ago, causing decades of bitter winters.

The prediction, to be published in Nature is based on observations showing a slight fall in the sun's emissions of utraviolet radiation, which over a long period may trigger mini ice ages in Europe."

Obviously we need to wait until we see the piece in Nature, but this does look like a significant annoucement may be coming from the Met Office in due course.

(Incidentally, theres no link because Sunday Times online content is behind a paywall. I copied this directly from the copy of the Sunday Times I bought this morning)

Edited by Gavin P

Posted

My homepage now has the headline 'Here comes the big freeze' - After the Indian summer, experts predict snow to hit within weeks.

LOL

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

According to The Sunday Times:

"The warning (of another cold winter) coincides with research from the Met Office suggesting that Europe could be facing a return of the "little ice age" that gripped Britain 300 years ago, causing decades of bitter winters.

The prediction, to be published in Nature is based on observations showing a slight fall in the sun's emissions of utraviolet radiation, which over a long period may trigger mini ice ages in Europe."

Obviously we need to wait until we see the piece in Nature, but this does look like a significant annoucement may be coming from the Met Office in due course.

(Incidentally, theres no link because Sunday Times online content is behind a paywall. I copied this directly from the copy of the Sunday Times I bought this morning)

A bit more on the Nature article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15199065

The gist of the article is that variations in the solar flux cause the jet stream to flow in a different pattern leaving a redistribution of cold.

Any one who subscribes to Nature can read the advance publication in full.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hey guys i think this is the Sunday Times artical got all of us intrested.

The Climate Record Met Office U-Turn: Europe May be Facing Return Of 'Little Ice Age'

Met Office U-Turn: Europe May be Facing Return Of 'Little Ice Age'

Sunday, 09 October 2011 11:11 Jonathan Leake, The Sunday Times

Britain should brace itself for another freezing winter with the return of La Niña, a climate phenomenon known to disrupt global weather, ministers have warned.

La Niña, in which cold water piles up in the equatorial eastern Pacific, is linked to extreme winter weather in America. Some suggest that last year’s strong La Niña was linked to Britain’s icy winter, one of the coldest on record.

The connection between La Niña and weather in Europe is scientifically uncertain but ministers have told transport organisations and emergency services to take no chances.

The warning coincides with research from the Met Office suggesting Europe could be facing a return of the "little ice age" that gripped Britain 300 years ago, causing decades of bitter winters.

The prediction, to be published in Nature, is based on observations showing a slight fall in the sun’s emissions of ultraviolet radiation, which over a long period may trigger mini ice ages in Europe.

The Sunday Times, 9 October 2011.

http://thegwpf.org/the-climate-record/4062-met-office-u-turn-europe-may-be-facing-return-of-little-ice-age.html

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15199065

The BBC environment reporter noted:

"The researchers emphasise there is no impact on global warning."

Who would have thought it?

I wish someone had laid odds on this reaction!

I will lay odds on the Torygraph, Wail and Excess spinning this as evidence that the world is cooling, not warming. The notion of a redistribution of temperatures will be far beyond them.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, I haven't read the Daily Express since I caught a glimpse of it as I was pouring litter into the cat tray, but my coal delivery man this morning has a mate whose sister works for the met-office, and she's told him that they're saying it's going to be colder than the previous two winters and that it's going to start at the end of this month.

I must get some more coal in.

• Like 4

Posted

It's going to be -3 by the weekend according to the Daily Mail. Im sure i don't remember the weather being reported as much in the media a few years ago as it is these days. Or maybe I just didn't take as much notice as I do now?

Posted

Sorry, the link for the story should be in my post, the kitten keeps sitting on the keyboard when I am on the laptop and I hadnt realised some of my post had been deleted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047245/UK-weather-First-frost-temperatures-3C-weekend.html

I had said if you scroll through the story it says 3c by Saturday in the north, no mention of -3 anywhere other than in the headline.

My birthday is this month, and although my memory is terrible I can't think of a time when its been freezing for my birthday, so yes I would say -3 would be a bit unusual for this time of year. It's just the way the the DM have reported it you would think we are in for the end of the world winter wise this year.

Edited by lizmartin1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The papers are trying to make out the cold weather is already here which is absolute tosh as anyone outside in the SE today will think it was still July and not about to enter a prologed cold period. I like the way they talked about the snow in Scotland already falling, like snow in October on the tops of the Cairngorns is something unusual. My mum, who doesnt even read any of the papers in question, seems convinced that we'll see -20c within weeks so it just shows how many people will be taken in by this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

I do agree we get 1 story a week about a harsh winter. The question is where do these papers get their info from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The question is where do these papers get their info from.

That's easy to answer, James Madden and Jonathan Powell, which is why 9 times out of 10 what the papers say turns out to be wrong.

BRITAIN FACES A MINI 'ICE AGE'

BRITAIN is set to suffer a mini ice age that could last for decades and bring with it a series of bitterly cold winters.

And it could all begin within weeks as experts said last night that the mercury may soon plunge below the record -20C endured last year.

Scientists say the anticipated cold blast will be due to the return of a disruptive weather pattern called La Nina. Latest evidence shows La Nina, linked to extreme winter weather in America and with a knock-on effect on Britain, is in force and will gradually strengthen as the year ends.

The climate phenomenon, characterised by unusually cold ocean temperatures in the Pacific, was linked to our icy winter last year – one of the coldest on record.

And it coincides with research from the Met Office indicating the nation could be facing a repeat of the “little ice age” that gripped the country 300 years ago, causing decades of harsh winters.

Parts of the country already saw the first snowfalls of the winter last week, dumping two inches on the Cairngorms in Scotland. And forecaster James Madden, from Exacta Weather, warned we are facing a “severely cold and snowy winter”.

Jonathan Powell, of Positive Weather Solutions, said: “The end of the month and November are looking colder than average with severe frosts and the chance of snow.”

However, some balmy autumnal sunshine was forecast for this week.

http://www.express.c...sts/view/276516

UK WEATHER: RIVIERA AND THEN ARCTIC!

BRITAIN is facing another Arctic winter – even though this week it will be warmer than the French Riviera.

Scientists have predicted we will see a return of the big freeze that caused temperatures to plunge as low as minus 21C (minus 5.8F) last December. The bitter weather was blamed on a phenomenon known as La Niña – a build-up of cold water in the Pacific Ocean which leads to sub-zero temp- eratures in both North America and the UK.

US experts believe La Niña is already on its way back this autumn. And new Met Office research claims it could trigger a mini Ice Age similar to one that froze Britain 300 years ago, leading to decades of harsh winters.

Despite the grim predictions, temperatures for the week ahead will soar to a balmy 23C (74F) in the south of England.

That is warmer than much of the Med.

http://www.dailystar...d-then-Arctic-/

Winter's first icy blast is on the way: Frost and temperatures of -3C by the weekend.

Only a week ago many of us were basking in the glow of a spectacular Indian summer. With temperatures as hot as Hawaii, we packed parks, beaches and swimming pools, soaking up the last rays of sunshine. And it seems they probably were the last.

Within days Britain will get its first taste of winter weather as Icelandic winds blast across the country and by Saturday many areas will be hit by the first frosts of the year. There is one exception. On Wednesday, southern England will enjoy a pleasantly warm high of 23c (73f). After that, there will be a definite chill in the air.

‘However, by the weekend, instead of weather from the Atlantic there will be winds coming in from Iceland and the North East, so things will get a little bit chillier.’ Even as temperatures drop, increasing energy bills mean a fifth of us won’t turn on the heating until next month at the earliest, a survey suggests.

And just over half plan to turn on the heating later this winter than last year, no matter how bad the weather gets, according to the YouGov poll. Authorities faced criticism during the big freeze last year as motorists battled dangerous roads caused by freezing temperatures.

Thousands of roads were left untreated and icy as salt stocks plummeted and councils were forced to prioritise.

http://www.dailymail...3C-weekend.html

Edited by Gavin D
  • Like 1

Posted

These papers should be taken to task for printing a pack of lies. It's starting to really stew my urine, and getting Meteorology a bad name. Grrrrr!

That's what gets me too. That such charlatanic behaviour goes unchallenged undermines the whole reputation of meteorology. It would be nice to see them getting skewered live on national television by someone eminent (like Philip Eden for example).