Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The man is a genius... http://twitpic.com/6ray3m

Severe Gales and Heavy Rain for the North on 1st October according to PC.

Erm.........not according to GFS.

He does love a good "superstorm" though. These astrophysicists! Mad! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

post-7631-0-49873100-1317137657_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

£1BN BOOST FROM LATE SUMMER SUN

Hoteliers are also smiling again as forecasters say it could stay warm until mid-October, making it the hottest autumn for 25 years.

Jonathan Powell, at Positive Weather Solutions, said: “Certainly for the next 72 hours it looks like back-to-back sunshine.

“It is looking like the hot spell will peak on Friday and Saturday when there is the real chance of hitting 30C (86F). And it is going to continue into next week possibly until Wednesday.

“After that it is still going to be ­unseasonable warm with above-average temperatures probably until mid-October when there will be a complete change with much lower than average temperatures.”

http://www.express.c...sts/view/274337

Edited by Gav

Posted

90F RED HOT OCTOBER

BRITAIN is set to bask in record autumn sunshine as the temperature soars to a scorching 90F.

Forecasters say the next few days will bring one of the hottest October weekends ever.

The heatwave follows the warmest end to September for more than a century.

Tomorrow’s expected 90F (32C) will be a new record for October, beating that set on October 1, 1985, when the mercury reached 85F.

The good weather is expected to last into next week and the first half of October will be warmer than average, say forecasters.

http://www.express.c...sts/view/274555

Edited by Gav

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

90F RED HOT OCTOBER

BRITAIN is set to bask in record autumn sunshine as the temperature soars to a scorching 90F.

Forecasters say the next few days will bring one of the hottest October weekends ever.

The heatwave follows the warmest end to September for more than a century.

Tomorrow’s expected 90F (32C) will be a new record for October, beating that set on October 1, 1985, when the mercury reached 85F.

The good weather is expected to last into next week and the first half of October will be warmer than average, say forecasters.

http://www.express.c...sts/view/274555

Not sure where they get 32c from!

28c is certainly possible though.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The UK October record could go that's 29c or so.

Posted

The UK October record could go that's 29c or so.

The UK record for October is 29.4c which was set way back in 1985 in Cambridgeshire, that will be beaten tomorrow somewhere, 32c seems a bit high but i wouldn't rule out 30c.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

From the Sun

BRITAIN was basking in the hottest October day on record — with the mercury rising to an incredible 29.9°C on Saturday.

At lunchtime, Kent was hotter than Florida and Wales warmer than Ibiza as folks across the UK stripped off in beaches, parks and gardens.

And forecasters say the warm front which swept in from Turkey will continue the red-hot October until at least Tuesday.

Warm front from Turkey?...hmmm

Posted

From the Sun

BRITAIN was basking in the hottest October day on record — with the mercury rising to an incredible 29.9°C on Saturday.

At lunchtime, Kent was hotter than Florida and Wales warmer than Ibiza as folks across the UK stripped off in beaches, parks and gardens.

And forecasters say the warm front which swept in from Turkey will continue the red-hot October until at least Tuesday.

Warm front from Turkey?...hmmm

Yeah, they will be posting the cold front is coming from Chile (Chilly) on ThursdayPosted Image

Posted

A round up from today's papers

Autumn Set To Return After Heatwave Weekend

After a record-breaking start to October, the autumn heatwave is set to continue in parts of Britain next week.

The mercury peaked at 30 degrees Celsius RAF Finningley in Yorkshire on Saturday - making it the hottest October day ever recorded in the UK.

Not far behind was Gravesend, Kent, where the maximum was 29.9C.

http://uk.news.yahoo...-101251088.html

LAST OF THE SUMMER SUNSHINE

IT WAS deckchairs at dawn yesterday as thousands of families turned off their televisions to enjoy a belated holiday in the last of the summer sunshine.

With Hallowe’en being just four weeks away it was the hottest October day on record.

Roads to the coast were jammed as the Met Office announced temperatures had peaked in Gravesend, Kent, at 85.8F (29.9C) – hotter than the Sahara.

Temperatures at Emley Moor, Kirklees, West Yorkshire, did not drop below 65.8F (18.8C)

The hot weather brought tragedy in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, as a 19-year-old went missing while swimming in a pond. His body was found yesterday.

http://www.express.c...summer-sunshine

Crowds head back to the South's beaches to lap up the sunshine as rain is forecast for the North

It's back to the beach for the South today but brollies out in the North.

A divide appears to be emerging between an unseasonal heatwave in parts of south-eastern England and cooler, unsettled weather across the north of the country and northern Wales.

Forecasters now expect the record-breaking temperatures to continue well into next week.

The mercury peaked at 30C (86F) in parts of the country yesterday, making it not only the hottest day recorded in October, but the third hottest of 2011.

Mr Harvey said: 'From Thursday onwards it will be very windy, with some cool air across the whole of the country and some heavy showers.

'Temperatures on Thursday will peak to 17C (62.6F) or 18C (64.4F) in the South East. By Friday the highest temperature in the country will be about 15C (59F) or 16C (60.8F), which is half of what we saw yesterday.'

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1ZdZyzttv

Britain basks in its hottest October day ever

Sun-worshippers flocked to the beaches yesterday as England basked in its hottest October day EVER.

The mercury hit 29.9C in the South East – making it hotter in England than in Mexico, Antigua and the Sahara Desert. But ­Northern Ireland and Scotland – where torrential rain fell yesterday – are missing out.

The 29.9 figure – recorded in Gravesend, Kent – beat the ­previous October record of 29.4C set in 1985 at March, Cambs. And red-hot October is likely to last until at least Tuesday.

Temperatures today are expected to be close to 30C – extra­ordinary given that it’s less than a month ­until the clocks go back for winter.

http://www.mirror.co.../#ixzz1ZdaKa58P

Hot-tober

BRITAIN basked in the hottest October day on record — with the mercury rising to an incredible 29.9°C on Saturday.

After yesterday's peak, it is expected to get cooler — but temperatures are still likely to reach 27°C today.

Tomorrow should remain warm, with temperatures starting to return to the expected levels for this time of year on Tuesday.

http://www.thesun.co.../Hot-tober.html

Posted

BRITAIN basked in the hottest October day on record — with the mercury rising to an incredible 29.9°C on Saturday

I don't think many temperature measuring instruments still have that toxic substance in them!
  • Like 1

Posted

A round up from today's papers

my my that must be a first at any time of the year!

Posted

I don't think many temperature measuring instruments still have that toxic substance in them!

I still have mercury in mine, it's very sentimental as it was the first one that I ever got when I first became a weatherphile.

I also still have lead in my pencil! :D

Today here has been 26'c, but clouding over in the afternoon, which made it feel very muggy!

The wind has picked up a fair bit too over the last few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I still have mercury in mine, it's very sentimental as it was the first one that I ever got when I first became a weatherphile.

I also still have lead in my pencil! Posted Image

Today here has been 26'c, but clouding over in the afternoon, which made it feel very muggy!

The wind has picked up a fair bit too over the last few hours.

That sounds very dangerous. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

http://www.express.c...autumn-heatwave

-

HURRICANE STORMS IN TO END BRITAIN’S AUTUMN HEATWAVE - from the express

-

These are my words-looks like its what on the menu, the tail of a storm hitting the far North monday(today) although mostly missing land so gales most likely rather then anything stronger, but then we look and wait for mid week when a potentially damaging wind storm heads towards our shores..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Here's a round up from today's papers,

HURRICANE STORMS IN TO END BRITAIN’S AUTUMN HEATWAVE

BRITAIN’S Indian summer heatwave will come to an abrupt halt this week when Hurricane Ophelia lashes the country.

The tail-end of the tropical storm currently hitting north America is due to smash the North-west of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland from Wednesday with winds of more than 60mph, according to weather experts MeteoGroup.

“The weather for the rest of month will be what we come to expect for October. Sadly, for many this week, it’s going to be a real shock to the system.”

And Positive Weather Solutions senior forecaster Jonathan Powell warned: “A chilly latter part of the week is in store for parts of the north and Scotland.”

http://www.express.c...autumn-heatwave

BAKE TO THE FUTURE

BAKING Brits have boosted the economy by a massive £1billion.

The spending spree came as thousands of sun-seekers flocked to beaches and splashed out on food, booze, hotels and ice cream.

The weekend splurge saw hundreds of thousands of tourists swamp some of Britain’s beaches, including Brighton and Bournemouth, as temperatures hit a record 30C on Saturday, 8C hotter than the Sahara and a record for October.

Hurricane Ophelia is due to come crashing in from America, bringing with it gales, snow and frost and a dramatic temperature plunge of nearly 20C.

It will hit Scotland, Northern Ireland and the north-west of England some time from Wednesday.

Positive Weather Solutions’ senior forecaster Jonathan Powell said it would be “a week of extremes as we exchange hot ­temperatures for cool temperatures and gale force winds”.

http://www.dailystar...-to-the-future/

After a scorching weekend, get ready for SNOW and a HURRICANE as temperatures drop 18c by Friday

Sunbathers are in for an abrupt shock as the hottest October in a century gives way to snow and a hurricane by the end of the week.

Britain will be feeling the cold as the unseasonable autumn temperatures drop by 18c (32f) in just days and the tail-end of Hurricane Ophelia batters Scotland and the North of England.

In the South, widespread frost will have the weekend's beach-goers wrapping up in scarves while storms and even snow lash the North.

And the decline shows no sign of easing after that, especially in the North-West, Scotland and Northern Ireland, which lie in the path of Hurricane Ophelia.

The 12c (57f) temperatures at the end of the week – 10c (50f) in Scotland – will reach even lower levels at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail...18c-Friday.html

Snow by Friday

Heatwave to end with 20°C drop in temperature

BRITAIN'S Indian summer will come to a halt this week as temperatures plunge — with snow in some areas by Friday.

The mercury edged close to Saturday's October record of 29.9°C — but it is set to fall 20 degrees in days.

The Met Office warned: "It is going to get very, very much colder and we can expect frosts."

Snow is forecast in the Scottish Highlands from Friday, moving south to the Pennines soon after. By next week the south will have frosts and thick fog.

Nearly a million sunlovers flocked to Brighton and Bournemouth at the weekend. But not all of the UK got the sun yesterday.

Rain swept Scotland and Northern Ireland.

http://www.thesun.co...twave-ends.html

Posted

Here's a round up of from today's National Newspapers

NEW HURRICANE TO HIT BRITAIN

BRITAIN’S Indian Summer is about to be swept aside as four days of gales and torrential rains batter the country.

The tail end of Hurricane Ophelia, currently lashing the United States, is due to hit tomorrow causing chaos with 65mph gusts.

And on top of that, an early Big Freeze is expected with an “Arctic blast bringing severe frosts” and snowfall in some areas before the end of the month.

Over the next few days there will be a risk of flooding, falling branches and damaged buildings across virtually the entire UK, weather experts said last night.

Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster at Positive Weather Solutions, said the strength of the winds could match Hurricane Katia which devastated parts of Britain last month.

“The end of the month and November are looking colder than average with an Arctic blast bringing freezing temperatures, severe frosts and even the chance of snow.”

http://www.express.c...sts/view/275450

WEATHER SET TO TURN

BRITS basked in the last day of the Indian summer yesterday as forecasters warned that a hurricane was poised to strike.

Five days of record-breaking weather have seen the hottest October in a century.

It was another day of soaring temperatures yesterday, with parts of London nudging 28C (82F).

But the Met Office has warned it will be downhill all the way from today, with highs of 19C (66F) before England is hit by the tail end of Hurricane Ophelia.

It is expected to bring 60mph winds and heavy rain by tomorrow.

http://www.dailystar...er-set-to-turn/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

What I have noticed over the years with these Newspapers is that they never seem to be precise enough. For instance they mention 60mph winds to hit Britain but dont refer to which places are going to get these sorts of winds.

It looks like it has indeed been a bit lively for Northern areas today but down here the highest gust I recorded on my weather station was only 31mph.

They should have instead said that Northern Britain would get them but nowhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The prediction of a bitterly cold spell with biting winds came as councils declared they have fully prepared for a big freeze by stockpiling thousands of tons of extra grit.

The mountain of salt could be dug into very soon as forecasters say Britain is likely to be hit by temperatures as low as minus 20C – perhaps even lower – and widespread heavy snow as early as the start of next month.

Parts of the country already saw the first snow of the winter this week, with two inches falling in the Cairngorms in Scotland.

And weathermen say temperatures could plunge significantly below freezing point in a matter of weeks in many areas.

James Madden, long-range forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: “I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December, and January.

Posted Image

I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December, and January

Posted Image

James Madden, long-range forecaster for Exacta Weather

There could also be frequent and significant snow across northern regions and Scotland throughout this winter.

“I also expect November, December, January, and Feb­ruary to feature largely below average temperatures across many parts of the UK. It is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken,” he said.

The Local Government Association last night said they had aimed to stockpile more salt to be ready at the beginning of this month than the total amount used last winter.

The LGA’s economy and transport chairman Cllr Peter Box said councils had “better plans” to make salt go further.

Last winter, Britain ground to a halt as temperatures plunged as low as minus 20C (-4F) causing heavy snowfall to ice over and create hazardous driving conditions.

post-11361-0-75433100-1318032731_thumb.j

http://www.express.c...tol-hit-Britain

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

As far as i see what could happen is Severe bitter cold buiding up over Scandinavia early november, this could be hooked into if the right pattern develops, this then bringing severe cold and snow to the NorthEast first...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

daily Express headline -20c to hit the country. rolf where do they get this rubbish???

Posted

daily Express headline -20c to hit the country. rolf where do they get this rubbish???

Its a theoretical possibility. It reached -20C levels during the middle of November 1919 and the middle of November is only 6 weeks away and last year it reached -20C levels at the start of December. If this article was written this time last year, it wouldn't look daft. However it is only a possibility and not god-given, so you might as well speculate about a whole load of things and call the paper the Daily Speculator.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

it might be all rubbish guys but isnt it also good that our local cancil wouldn't be able to use the smoke screen that they didnt know about it if it does happen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Its a theoretical possibility. It reached -20C levels during the middle of November 1919 and the middle of November is only 6 weeks away and last year it reached -20C levels at the start of December. If this article was written this time last year, it wouldn't look daft. However it is only a possibility and not god-given, so you might as well speculate about a whole load of things and call the paper the Daily Speculator.

Eye maybe but if the GFS ECM CFS were hinting at this in FI land you could make an excuse for them. Looking at the ECM they maybe 30c out possibly.

We ought to have a spoof forecast competition and see how long it takes for the press to pick it up.