Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Weather And General Chat

Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The radar is a stonker. we are about to cop it big time. :yahoo:

Just imagine if that band was snow in winter how appealing it would be though.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Yuk, a horrible day out there....cool, a howling wind, and drizzle flying about (soon to be replaced by heavy rain from looking at the radar)

Mother Nature should've been on the pill to stop today from being concieved!!

Indeed a truly grotestque day and im expecting as usual the heavy echoes on the radar will make a run for it as soon as they hit Shropshire meaning

its just another slate grey day with nothing to show for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I love a strong blusterly wind in winter but in May, no thanks. Temperature is quite a warm 17.7c and i was quite suprised how warm it was given how it feels outside. Tomorrow is looking quieter but still far from a calm, quiet day.

Posted

Really heavy rain here now.. If we could have 6 or 7 hours of rainfall like it is now here, i think the canal could easily burst its banks and flood the High street.

No kidding its really heavy.

Pools of water starting to form in the roads now but the band will be through soon though.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Indeed a truly grotestque day and im expecting as usual the heavy echoes on the radar will make a run for it as soon as they hit Shropshire meaning

We've just had half an hour or so of fairly heavy rain, so some of it has made it here. Might still die out a bit further east though. But this wind, it's ridiculous for May which is supposed to be the least "westerly" time of year, isn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like a bit of a squall line is about to pass through our neck of the woods.......I like the 'Telford Curse"...very apt!

Posted

Just in case anyone doesn't believe the Shropshire cloud effect, I'll post two maps of months that delivered everywhere but here:

2011_4_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

Look at that tiny light patch in the middle of Shropshire up against the Welsh border!

And this one was even more spectacular, somehow managing BELOW average sun while virtually the whole of Europe had record-breaking heat:

2003_8_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

Posted

Looking at the latest radar image is that a squall line of some description developing through NW England ?

Looks quite nasty looking at the radar.

Passed through here about an hour ago. It delivered the strongest winds so far today, but it still wasn't as windy as yesterday.

Now the sun is out and there is hardly any wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Dry, sunny and warm in Norwich, 19C- but remarkably windy for late May!

Posted

Just in case anyone doesn't believe the Shropshire cloud effect, I'll post two maps of months that delivered everywhere but here:

Look at that tiny light patch in the middle of Shropshire up against the Welsh border!

And this one was even more spectacular, somehow managing BELOW average sun while virtually the whole of Europe had record-breaking heat:

To be honest if those are not exceptions to the rule and lack of sunshine really does bother you that much then to be honest i would think about moving. I am not being flippant and it does sound drastic and i know people have commitments but only you know how much you and particularly conor123 who seems to post quite regularly about it, are affected by it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think those maps illustrate the Shropshier cloud effect, more that Shropshire was rather unlucky during August 2003. I recall that even in Tyne and Wear, which had above average sun overall, the 1st-9th August 2003 were exceptionally sunny and then the rest of the month was often quite dull.

The Shropshire cloud effect is best demonstrated by long-term averages.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/7100_1km/Sunshine_Average_1971-2000_14.gif

This map makes it clear that the cloud that forms over the Welsh mountains often extends east towards Shropshire before petering out once you get east of the Welsh border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Different story down here, unbroken sunshine and 17.2C. But very windy! weird weather and because it's a dry wind the grass outside is turning yellow/brown fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A grotesque day? I don't think so! It's wonderful.

Continuous moderate rain for the last 40 minutes or so, the wind has decreased to about f5 but I'm hoping it'll pick up again once the cold front has moved through.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

To be honest if those are not exceptions to the rule and lack of sunshine really does bother you that much then to be honest i would think about moving. I am not being flippant and it does sound drastic and i know people have commitments but only you know how much you and particularly conor123 who seems to post quite regularly about it, are affected by it.

I would love to be able to move away, but being 19 and my college course being in Telford its not as simple as that.

We did get a few minutes of fairly heavy rain here in the end, the wind has died off quite a bit now though still breezy, theres actually distant blue sky to the North West now which should be here before 4pm if things carry on how they are going which would be lovely and mean the Telford Curse is ending a few hours earlier than normal today :lol:

Edit: Distant blue sky replaced by cloud :lol: the normal Telford curse day not being disturbed after all.

Edited by conor123

Posted

I would love to be able to move away, but being 19 and my college course being in Telford its not as simple as that.

We did get a few minutes of fairly heavy rain here in the end, the wind has died off quite a bit now though still breezy, theres actually distant blue sky to the North West now which should be here before 4pm if things carry on how they are going which would be lovely and mean the Telford Curse is ending a few hours earlier than normal today :lol:

Stopped here now and the wind has died down but it was fun while it lasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The rainfall on the front is rapidly declining in intensity as it moves south east. By the time it gets into Leicestershire and Northamptonshire there'll be only an hour or so of light rain left on it.

Continuous moderate rain

I wish here in the dustbowl south midlands we got something like that, conor does go over the top but lately the weather does seem to of gone downhill, also even though he moans too much you cant expect him at his age to just move like that, even if he was older you just cant move away from friends and family just like that, alot of planning goes into it, i guess he might after he's finished his studies move somewhere for a job so he can be more happy, he'll probably move further north though where the weather is even worse than telford ;)

Posted

Tommorow and Wednesday will both be interesting days, ive stopped viewing the charts after seeing the dartboard lows for later this week on Saturday but tommorow and Wednesday were looking to both be the first decent days here since 4th May ahead of Thursdays low so hopefully things are still looking pleasant, ill happily sit in the garden at 13c at this point if the suns out.

Edited by conor123

Posted

A grotesque day? I don't think so! It's wonderful.

Continuous moderate rain for the last 40 minutes or so, the wind has decreased to about f5 but I'm hoping it'll pick up again once the cold front has moved through.

quote from Net Weather's cold wet and windy doyen

I think I have just had a token gesture from your rainband TM,3 minutes perhaps with a mx rate of 15.2mm p hour and a total of 1.4mm making it the 2nd wettest day this month

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

That narrow band of rain associated with the cold front has dropped 1.6mm of rain here in less than 15 minutes. It was also accompanied by a very rapid temperature drop. At 15:20 it was 16.8C and now just 15 minutes later its only 12.3C.

Posted

That was great fun! I've just got back inside after rolling around the underneath of a car for the past two hours. Not only did I get absolutely drenched but I got a ton of dust blown in my eyes too.

Anyway, it's still a little but gusty, but the skies have cleared and the sun is shining :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Blimey it actually rained today not just some poxy drizzle. Not enough though Davis reckons 3.8mm the 3rd highest this month.

Otherwise cool and windy highest gust 56mph at 11:22 still gusty though so daren't put the washing out.