Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

A classic example of why I don't vote Tory.

Hypocrites don't get my vote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-supporters-and-scottish-independence-advocates-believe-in-a-false-freedom-says-david-mundell-a6944781.html

Brexit supporters and Scottish independence advocates believe in a 'false freedom', says David Mundell

Scotland Secretary to warn voters to be 'very wary' of campaigners who play down the risks of the UK going it alone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37395260

Mundell calls for end to Brexit 'scaremongering'

The Scottish secretary has argued that leaving the European Union would present opportunities for Scotland and the rest of the UK.

How can anyone vote for people so completely devoid of principles. I really don't get it.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

This is a new poll in the Sunday Times it seems.

Only 2/10 favour the idea of being in the UK outside the EU.

CsnqEATXYAAXldW.jpg

And that's before brexit goes completely belly up economically.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Really, really impressed by yesterday's Anniversary Edition of The National. Superb standard of the artwork submissions and the winner by amateur artist, Alison Stell, is an absolute stunner!

Can't provide link from tablet but that design could be included in any exhibition of political art. Simple, yet at the same time powerful showing Scotland in the shape of a thistle held in the hand of youth.

Too wee, too poor, too stupid? Aye, right!

Posted
    21 hours ago, Dougal said:

Is the over 60s No as much an anti Europe thing as pro British? For better or worse, the SNP are making indy2 a Scexit vote more than a vote on the Union.

Among Scottish friends and relations in my over 60 age group, I have not met one who voted NO because they wanted to remain in the Union per se: it was purely based on financial uncertainties - brought about by the waffling over what currency might be used. One thing is certain, a detailed plan for currency arrangement needs to be in place before any new referendum or similar will occur. 

Edit - there's never, in my experience, been an anti EU feeling in my age group - that is an English media inspired concept.

Edited by Nouska
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud
    6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

This is a new poll in the Sunday Times it seems.

Only 2/10 favour the idea of being in the UK outside the EU.

CsnqEATXYAAXldW.jpg

And that's before brexit goes completely belly up economically.

Interested in the 11% who are up for Scotland vs the world. Any particular demographic there anybody know?

Posted
    8 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Interested in the 11% who are up for Scotland vs the world. Any particular demographic there anybody know?

Not really No. A tendency to be older pro-independence and/or very left wing.

They are Norway model EEA / EFTA generally, which isn't taking on the world really. I'm quite a fan although for now content enough with EU.

Freedom of movement is the most important thing for me, and as EEA / EFTA has this, its fine enough in my book.

It's hard nutter right wing brexit that I want out of.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

Personally I'll hold my nose and stick with an imperfect EU rather than the isolation that will happen to RUk post brexit. The EU has its faults (Greece anyone?) but it will either reform or wither.

The important point is when Scotland takes control of her own destiny then we will make our own choices on our relationships and treaties. We are Nation rich in talent, resource and culture. We do not need 'the London look'.

• Like 5
    Posted

The thing is, Yes voters can see the future. Or at least they are damn good at calling it.

Everything that Yes warned about has come to pass. It was all said on here and elsewhere.

Brexit is going to be a disaster. A huge one. I can see no evidence for anything other than that outcome.

Sorry if you wanted the UK to work out, but the only way to avoid the coming crapstorm is to vote for independence.

• Like 6
    Posted
    On 16 September 2016 at 23:28, mountain shadow said:

Who are these mystery no voters that account for a majority of the Scottish electorate.  It's damn hard to find any. 

My oldest grandson (22yrs) was visiting with his girlfriend for the weekend. He tells me he is pro Union :nonono: but a "remainer". He's been veering from Scottish Labour, I have noted,  towards Ruth since he started employment about 9 months ago. His girlfriend, diplomatically, "wasn't telling" but I suspect she is pro independence.

Middle grandson, (19yrs),  who visited a few weeks ago or so, appears to be of the same opinion as his elder brother :nonono:, but,  judging from discussions with him, he maybe has not firmed up his views.

The point of the post is that it is difficult to identify the mystery no voters from whatever age demographic.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    11 minutes ago, ciel said:

My oldest grandson (22yrs) was visiting with his girlfriend for the weekend. He tells me he is pro Union :nonono: but a "remainer". He's been veering from Scottish Labour, I have noted,  towards Ruth since he started employment about 9 months ago. His girlfriend, diplomatically, "wasn't telling" but I suspect she is pro independence.

Middle grandson, (19yrs),  who visited a few weeks ago or so, appears to be of the same opinion as his elder brother :nonono:, but,  judging from discussions with him, he maybe has not firmed up his views.

The point of the post is that it is difficult to identify the mystery no voters from whatever age demographic.

So, judging by what the 'experts' say, both you and I ought to be both anti-EU and anti-SI??? All hale the experts!:rofl:

• Like 1
    Posted

The UK union is good for some by the sounds of it.

http://archive.is/TSR2W

Union auction has the lot — if you’re Rowling in it

With the future of the Union in peril once again, luminaries of the Scottish establishment gathered at Edinburgh’s five-star Prestonfield House hotel for an evening of haute cuisine, fine wines and bonhomie.

The distinguished guests — who included Alistair Darling, the former Labour chancellor; Willie Rennie, leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats; and Andrew Dunlop, under-secretary of state for Scotland — paid £250 to attend the Scotland in Union charity dinner — and were ready to dig deeper to bolster the anti-independence war chest.

However, if the 60-page auction guide was intended to whet guests’ appetites and loosen their wallets, the sheer extravagance of the prizes on offer had some shifting uncomfortably in their seats.

“The event felt more like saving the British empire than saving the UK,” said one guest who attended Thursday’s dinner.

Among the exclusive and “extremely generous” prizes was the chance to stay in a luxury chalet in the Swiss Alps, with a guide price of £6,000. While the bidding may have been too rich for some, the suggestion that a maid could be thrown in as a sweetener was perhaps even less palatable. “A fabulous chalet and a family home, with six bedrooms sleeping 12, all en suite. Although the chalet does not come with a chalet girl, we will provide one for you.”

Other prizes included a four-day “extravaganza of polo and amazing parties in Jodhpur for two . . . rubbing shoulders with the maharajah”. The guide price of £2,000 did not include flights or accommodation.

A “holiday of a lifetime” in a private game reserve in Botswana for 10 people was up for grabs at £12,500, and a week sailing off the west coast of Scotland on a pilot cutter with its own skipper and cook was auctioned with a guide price of £5,000.

Guests were also tempted with hind stalking near Fort William, a long weekend in Argyll blasting away at up to 40 birds such as partridge, pheasant, woodcock and snipe, and a week-long river holiday in Glen Lyon with six rods to fish salmon and trout. A signed copy of a JK Rowling novel was on offer, and diners were invited to part with £100 for a raffle ticket to win a Mini Cooper convertible...

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Watching EP2 of Britain and the Battle for Scotland on BBC2.

UK is screwed really.

Turned off about half way through; too low quality.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

This is what I mean.

It's all totally fcuked.

England's completely lost it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/16/bring-back-britannia-to-rule-the-waves-after-brexit/

Bring back Britannia to rule the waves after Brexit

The Royal Yacht Britannia should be recommissioned and used to secure trade deals after the Brexit vote, dozens of MPs, former ministers and a senior former aide to the Queen say.

The politicians back a campaign by the Telegraph and call for the return of the “incredible” vessel, which was put out of service in 1997 by Tony Blair’s government.

Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, is understood to be considering a detailed proposal to return the yacht to the seas. 

“She was a symbol of many things about this country we have now not got."Lord Heseltine

Sources said he sees it as "a great symbol of global Britain". 

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Bring back Britannia to rule the waves after Brexit

At the speed things are going, we could probably recommission the Cutty Sark.

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie has blamed the Conservatives and the SNP for putting "divisive constitutional politics" at the centre of national debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37402929

Why does this irrelevant idiot still get publicity?

Oh, it's the LibDem party conference, in Brighton, so that'll be the UK party then, not the Scottish party?

Even funnier than Rennie though I heard Fallon on TV this morning espousing how the LibDems were "the real party of opposition in Westminster" at the moment. What, with 8 MPs? Even Corbyn can manage to better that as I'm sure he has more than 8 loyal to him, and of course that's before we get into the fact the SNP have 7x the number of MPs at Westminster than the LibDems do. There's nothing wrong with trying to be positive and bigging up your usefulness, but do it with at least a reasonable dose of reality.

Edit: Oh, wasn't overly impressed with the second installment of Marr's thingy last night. Lightweight and perpetuated some of the myths, like Scotland's economy is entirely reliant on oil, without examining them at all. Also, I don't think his '3 options' on the EU included Scotland leaving the UK and continuing it's current EU membership without having to "re-apply and go into the queue".

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

My Facebook post from two years ago today:

Well that wasn't a surprise, so I'm not as upset as I could have been. Two factors I would blame for YES losing are firstly the currency issue and secondly the promise of new powers for the Scottish Parliament from the NO camp. The whole currency union debate was needless, pointless and simply muddied the waters. What was the theory behind it? How can a country be independent without its own currency? It should have been a clear cut "we'll have our own currency" and that's that. I will save judgement on the NO campaign until after we see what the new powers are. If the new powers are as far reaching as have been promised then I'll hang up my independent hat. If not then the NO vote will have won with lies and propaganda. There's been some pretty vicious comments from both sides already this morning. It's bad enough being a sore loser, but worse being a sore winner. Let's at least not all lose our dignity, along with the vote.

My hat never got hung up after all.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

The Sunday Times poll suggests a 7% lead for No which seems at odds with others quoted on here. As was mentioned here recently, for the undecideds, it is clearly a very close call and the structure of the question may be all important.

Posted

Hard, extreme right-wing, economy crashing brexit coming.

That's what will bring an end to the UK.

In a couple of years time support will be well over 60% just like it was the last time the Tories had a majority and we're ruining the economy.

I think Salmond's late 2018 date is probably right. Demographics alone should guarantee it by then, even without the Brexit disaster effects.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    8 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Hard, extreme right-wing, economy crashing brexit coming.

That's what will bring an end to the UK.

In a couple of years time support will be well over 60% just like it was the last time the Tories had a majority and we're ruining the economy.

I think Salmond's late 2018 date is probably right. Demographics alone should guarantee it by then, even without the Brexit disaster effects.

And - as is always the case during Tory regimes - woe betide anyone who has the temerity to become sick or disabled!

• Like 1
    Posted
    32 minutes ago, Dougal said:

The Sunday Times poll suggests a 7% lead for No which seems at odds with others quoted on here. As was mentioned here recently, for the undecideds, it is clearly a very close call and the structure of the question may be all important.

Not sure where those numbers come from.

Prof Curtice's numbers are 48.4% Yes / 51.6% No ex DK, so another statistical tie.

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#table

Papers often misreport results.

Anyway, it's support a couple of years from now that's important. I'll take 50/50 before the brexit disaster kicks in!

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Hard, extreme right-wing,

They now feel save enough in the UK to hold events such as this without fear....scary stuff...

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/sinister-neo-nazi-gang-set-11904707

Incidentally, when I first saw this story, some of the pictures had Union flags in them. I'm now struggling to find any pictures showing it? Mainstream media manipulation again because they don't want to show that these fascists are British Unionist fascists?

• Like 2
    Posted
    16 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Watching EP2 of Britain and the Battle for Scotland on BBC2.

UK is screwed really.

Turned off about half way through; too low quality.

Well, I didn't think the first half was terrible, but it made a poorer effort of covering a much shorter time frame than the first programme did of a much longer time frame. Did you reach the bit where Marr proclaimed "The North Sea Oil Industry has collapsed", having watched the entire program I'd say that basically it was 90 minutes of programming to lure people into watching 30 minutes of propaganda and lies. 

If what Marr and Ian Wood said were true, Scotland would be in a dire economic situation,  but employment levels are higher in Scotland than the UK as a whole, unemployment is lower in Scotland than the UK as a whole despite the loss of jobs that has occurred in the oil sector. The argument that Scotland's economy is too unbalanced and one sector dependent to be independent is laughable given the reliance of rUK on the City of London. 

• Like 5
    Posted
    27 minutes ago, skifreak said:

"The North Sea Oil Industry has collapsed",

That's why I turned off. I object to paying to have people lie to me.

I work in oil and gas. A downturn is not a collapse. The vast majority of people who work in the industry still work in the industry. The fat has been trimmed and most fields are in profit now.

It should be making good money like Norway. However, the British can't run a country / industry / tax system properly, so it's not. 

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2