Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Hmmm.......so your questionning a pro qual researcher? We NEVER random sample.

I'm not some 'on the street with a clipboard' merchant.

I'm in Fin Servs; we dont do politics but our core target consumers (80% of time) are the aged 45 pluses - why? - because that is where the wealth and 'power' is.

Believe me, this affluent group become extremely protective of what they've earned, wealth accum - this leads to them developing protective traits and subsequently they rather prefer the status quo.

I get that Scot politics has a different set of dynamics to E&W but people do, and can change. 

Yes I'm questioning you. You're using a non-random sample to prove something amongst the whole population, if I had done that through my university days I'd have failed!! All you've done is talk to people who are trying to protect their wealth, of course they are risk averse. You're confusing wealthier with older, and although the two populations overlap they are not the same. But of course you know all this, and us mere mortals must not question you. 

• Like 7
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    23 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Believe me, this affluent group become extremely protective of what they've earned, wealth accum - this leads to them developing protective traits and subsequently they rather prefer the status quo.

I get that Scot politics has a different set of dynamics to E&W but people do, and can change. 

Ugh this has been done to death hundreds of times in this thread. The support for independence and natID as Scottish doesn't decrease with age and there is a couple of distinct points about why:

• Very few of the people that make an often lengthy personal journey to supporting Scottish Independence go the other way - it really does tend to be a one way street.
    • Historical evidence shows that a majority of Scots natID'ing as British was a historical blip that peaked with the Baby Boomers. Amongst the very oldest in Scotland, Scottish Nat ID and Indy support starts to goes up again. Go back 10 years even, certainly 20 years, and the this older Scottish not British group would have been much bigger, with a blip of British IDing in majority in their 40s and 50s. 

So basically the point is it's not that people are more British and Unionist because they get more so as they get older, it's that the group who NatID as British have got older and are now by and large retired or retiring. 

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 2
    Posted

This study is one year old but it indicates a more complex pattern of voting from the referendum in 2014, than otherwise seen in discussion.

Now it could be a load of tosh, but interesting nevertheless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34283948

Interesting to see the youngest voters actually well split on the No/Yes Q. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    28 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Yes I'm questioning you. You're using a non-random sample to prove something amongst the whole population, if I had done that through my university days I'd have failed!! All you've done is talk to people who are trying to protect their wealth, of course they are risk averse. You're confusing wealthier with older, and although the two populations overlap they are not the same. But of course you know all this, and us mere mortals must not question you. 

Mainly people who were never wealthy - just ordinary people who have improved "their lot". Protect what you've earned. 

• Like 1
    Posted

Youngsters totally against Britain now due to Brexit.

They love unions and hate xenophobic / racist / anti-immigrant / anti-Scottish Britain.

You can see that in all the polls on the subject.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
    22 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

This study is one year old but it indicates a more complex pattern of voting from the referendum in 2014, than otherwise seen in discussion.

Now it could be a load of tosh, but interesting nevertheless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34283948

Interesting to see the youngest voters actually well split on the No/Yes Q. 

The difficulty with this finding is that almost all polling conducted since the referendum finds 16-24 year olds strongly in favour of Yes, both in weighted and unweighted samples. They are marginally less likely to vote Yes than 25-35 year olds by a couple points, however. 

Posted

Following the new BBC Charter, the compulsion to save money and establish the complete Britification of news what is the point of the hideous glass box on Pacific Quay?

Discuss.

Posted
    8 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Following the new BBC Charter, the compulsion to save money and establish the complete Britification of news what is the point of the hideous glass box on Pacific Quay?

Discuss.

To give the pretence that Scotland gets a fair share of the licence fee of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Mainly people who were never wealthy - just ordinary people who have improved "their lot". Protect what you've earned. 

So you are in fact confirming that as @CatchMyDriftasked you don't use a random sample? If you don't include all people e.g. 'ordinary people' who haven't managed to 'improve their lot', or people who's lot 'hasn't changed', or indeed people who may have started out wealthy and 'lost it all', then you aren't really covering an accurate sample of the population as a whole.

It's kind of why polling organisations go to great lengths to try to get a representative sample, and even then they often struggle to get accurate results.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, frogesque said:

Discuss.

I thought when the BBC started 'Scotland 2014' it was just what it proved to be, a cover for axing Newsnight Scotland and actually making the broadcast coverage of Scottish news and current affairs poorer than it was prior to the Scottish Parliament reconvening in 1999. This at time when the Parliament is taking on more responsibilities (and I say responsibility not power). The fact is the vast majority of non international UK broadcast news is not only not relevant to Scotland, NI or Wales, it could actually be construed as misleading because the context of it is never explained.

The upside of this is that as more people see the BBC as less relevant, the further it's influence will decline in Scotland and arguably the new proposed charter is a great shot in the foot!

Posted
    2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Hmmm.......so your questionning a pro qual researcher? We NEVER random sample.

I'm not some 'on the street with a clipboard' merchant.

I'm in Fin Servs; we dont do politics but our core target consumers (80% of time) are the aged 45 pluses - why? - because that is where the wealth and 'power' is.

As well as prudent financial planning to provide for our old age, we also plan for the passing on of our accrued wealth. To that, I would add bequeathing the political future that our children and grandchildren desire. It is to that end that I, a long time unionist, would change my voting habits to accord with those who will be around after I am gone.

• Like 5
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

So you are in fact confirming that as @CatchMyDriftasked you don't use a random sample? If you don't include all people e.g. 'ordinary people' who haven't managed to 'improve their lot', or people who's lot 'hasn't changed', or indeed people who may have started out wealthy and 'lost it all', then you aren't really covering an accurate sample of the population as a whole.

It's kind of why polling organisations go to great lengths to try to get a representative sample, and even then they often struggle to get accurate results.

Not at all.

If you're an organisation in the business of 'selling' to segments of the population, because your products are only suitable to certain segments then you only research your target consumers - simples really.

And with respect to voting, the better off and the over 50s, effectively 'control' power in the UK.

Posted
    23 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

And with respect to voting, the better off and the over 50s, effectively 'control' power in the UK.

They're doing rather poorly at it then given the UK is up to its eyeballs in debt, is crashing out of the EU, and 50% of Scots now wish to end it entirely.

Might be wise to let the young ones take over? They seem to have more sense.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 6
    Posted

A few polls from September 2013, including IPSOS MORI.

67% No / 33% Yes
    65% No / 35% Yes
    66% No / 34% Yes
    69% No / 31% Yes

How times have changed. I certainly prefer kicking off the new campaign with 50%!

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    39 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

They're doing rather poorly at it then given the UK is up to its eyeballs in debt, is crashing out of the EU, and 50% of Scots now wish to end it entirely.

Might be wise to let the young ones take over? They seem to have more sense.

Nah.....they want instant gratification and would do everything to grab my newly found wealth.

Posted
    12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Nah.....they want instant gratification and would do everything to grab my newly found wealth.

I trust you mean the over 50's, more wealthy people here?

If these thought more long term and were less greedy, the UK wouldn't be in such a pickle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/inequality-uk-contributed-to-brexit-oxfam-rich-poor-research-one-per-cent-a7239306.html

Soaring inequality in UK ‘contributed to Brexit’, Oxfam says

Richest one per cent in UK own 20 times more total wealth than the poorest fifth

The richest one per cent of the UK population now owns more than 20 times the total wealth of the poorest fifth, making the country one of the most unequal in the developed world, according to analysis by Oxfam.

The figures suggest that around 634,000 Britons are worth 20 times as much as the poorest 13 million and the charity urgedTheresa May to take action to close the gap between the “haves” and the “have nots”.

Oxfam's report suggested that the massive inequality in British society contributed to the vote to leave the European Union and called for sweeping reforms to big business.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, Colsuth said:

If you call 8 out of 10 wouldn't vote for a party a bounce, then yes!*

I'm personally very satisfied with Ruth. I'd never vote Tory and I find her unpleasant, boorish and incompetent; a perfect Tory leader. She's singularly failed to create a Tory revival in the best of circumstances. So, yes, I rate her positively / think she's doing a great job as Tory leader.

Which was what was asked, not whether the leaders were popular.

I've given her a positive sat both times I've been polled on the question, once by MORI and another time by Yougov. Really dislike her though.

----

*Yougov UK, September 2016, Scottish Respondents

How likely, if at all, are you to consider voting for the following parties

Conservative

22% Would consider

71% Would not consider

Ooch. Bit hopeless that.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, Colsuth said:

Ha ha. The usual Union media misreporting of what was a flawed poll

The reality is that Panzer Fuhrer is only half as popular as Thatcher once was in Scotland. 

Usual desperate Union stuff.

• Like 2
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Ha ha. The usual Union media misreporting of what was a flawed poll

The reality is that Panzer Fuhrer is only half as popular as Thatcher once was in Scotland. 

Usual desperate Union stuff.

Not flawed per se, put open to misreporting.

Millions of Tory voters rate Jeremy Corybn / think he's doing a great job. Many even joined Labour to try and vote for him.

That's not a good thing though....

People should take care when it comes to sat ratings.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

I bumped into (almost literally) Ruth in a pub last Friday evening, and she was lovely!

• Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I bumped into (almost literally) Ruth in a pub last Friday evening, and she was lovely!

Well she needs to improve her public image if that's true.

Comes across as incompetent, nasty and boorish when in her role as Tory leader.

If that's an act, she needs to drop it; it's a good part of the reason why the Tories failed to make any measurable gains out of Labour's demise in Scotland.

Having me rate her in polls is not a good thing for the Tories.:D

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    29 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Well she needs to improve her public image if that's true.

Comes across as incompetent, nasty and boorish when in her role as Tory leader.

If that's an act, she needs to drop it; it's a good part of the reason why the Tories failed to make any measurable gains out of Labour's demise in Scotland.

Having me rate her in polls is not a good thing for the Tories.:D

Its funny how she campaigned to remain in EU but now she is in full UK at any cost mode.

• Like 5