Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud
    4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Why should it not be?

It concerns brexit; the hottest topic in Scottish politics.

As I've said before, there are racist idiots everywhere. England has ten times Scotland's population and ten times more bigots.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nazi-stickers-appear-la-pasionaria-8299051

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    14 minutes ago, Dougal said:

As I've said before, there are racist idiots everywhere. England has ten times Scotland's population and ten times more bigots.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nazi-stickers-appear-la-pasionaria-8299051

Yes, but there's been no rise in hate crime recorded in Scotland.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scotland-bucks-uk-trend-no-8568429

Scotland bucks UK trend with no rise in reported hate crime in wake of Brexit vote

The UN are not unhappy with Scotland either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37193140

UN blames UK politicians for Brexit hate crime spike

"Divisive" and "anti-immigrant" rhetoric by UK politicians during the EU referendum helped to fuel a spike in race hate crimes in the weeks before and after the vote, a UN body has said.

English police even looking to Scotland for advice:

http://archive.is/RrTed

UK police ask Scots officers for advice after hate crime stalled north of the border after Brexit vote

UK police have sought advice from Scottish officers after hate crime stalled north of the border but rocketed everywhere else following the Brexit vote.

More than 6,000 hate crimes were reported in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the wake of the EU referendum - up 20% on the same period in July 2015.

But Police Scotland has seen "no evidence of any increase in level of overall hate crime incidents", Deputy Chief Constable Ruaraidh Nicolson told the Scottish Police Authority (SPA).

Once again I use pro-UK sites as references.

You seem to be avoiding using pro-Scottish indy sites by contrast. Try to use these to give balance to your posts as I do.

---

You seem like an intelligent man. Don't try to pretend UK parties have not increasingly played the anti-immigrant card to win votes in recent times. And, well, we're seeing the results now. Things are crawling out from under stones.

Sure we have some here in Scotland too, but our politicians have not egged them on to try and gain electoral advantage.

I am not saying England is some dangerous hotbed of racism; just that the political rhetoric has gone into the gutter and well, now we are seeing the results of that. The UN agree with me.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Allard, who lost to Burnett in May, was described as an EU citizen rather than a local resident with concerns

Minor point, but typical of reporting standards these days, Christian Allard (who I've met and is an extremely nice guy)  was the SNP list MSP for NE Scotland. Technically Burnett didn't defeat him, but actually defeated Denis Robertson who was the SNP MSP for my area. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

Fair enough SS. Agree with that too.

Right, I'm off to bed (under my bridge :closedeyes:)

• Like 1
    Posted

The UK is heading for political, economic, social and constitutional collapse.

For those thinking it best not to rock the boat on Scottish indy after the initial brexit storm. Maybe wait a little bit to see how brexit starts to pan out (you know who you are).

Enjoy the current calm while it lasts. What's coming will make the post-brexit turbulence seem like tranquility.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-single-market-deal-eu-tory-mps-conservative-a7249821.html

Brexit: Theresa May wants to strike single market deal with EU but Tory MPs won't let her, says Nick Clegg

'She is sitting on a ticking time bomb which will, at the very least, paralyse this Government when it comes to making these vital choices about Brexit,' says former Deputy Prime Minister

This a pressure cooker with cracks emerging.

Personally, I think there's a very strong chance May will be challenged for the leadership by a brexiter fairly quickly. And they'll likely win. May was our best hope for some sense at the top, vicious, unpleasant and incompetent as she is.

It's either that or she bows to pressure and goes for a full on hardcore crash WTO brexit, which will lead to the lost generation Sturgeon talks about. The UK literally would drop out of the developed world for a couple of decades at least under such a scenario.

Then people will really look fondly back to the days of George and Dave.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Yes, they do. Hence, as noted, the SNP talking about a lost generation.

But as I said, the public don't realise this yet. They're imagining some new, negotiated deal; you know things maybe being a bit different, but probably ok.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/why-all-the-signs-point-to-work-permit-system-and-hard-brexit-as/

Why all the signs point to work permit system and 'hard Brexit' as Theresa May negotiates the UK-EU divorce

Theresa May was forced to publicly dress down her Brexit minister at Prime Minister’s Questions, chiding David Davis at the dispatch box for “prematurely reveal[ing] our hand” in Britain’s approach to the coming EU-UK divorce talks.

But it was notable that the Prime Ministerial irritation was directed at Mr Davis more for giving the game away than the substance of what he actually said – namely that it was “very improbable” that the UK could win control over EU migration while remaining inside the single market.

In truth, Mr Davis was merely stating the obvious given the declared position of the remaining 27 EU member states: namely that Britain cannot remain in the single market if we don’t accept the free movement of EU workers.

That was the position when Mr Cameron negotiated his failed deal in February, and it is the position now.

It's the right wing of the Tories and the UKIP threat that delivered the EUref. These will now deliver hard brexit; and a hard Brexit Britain is a very scary place.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

I think there's an IPSOS MORI poll out showing 48% Yes / 52% No in any 2nd Iref so the margins continue to tighten and now of course well within margin of error.

Just looked on the IPSOS site at the tables and again showing how the Union is finished, just a matter of simple birth/death rates...

16 - 24 year olds ------  60% YES   40% NO

25-34 year olds -------- 64% YES   36% NO

35-54 year olds---------- 44% YES 56% NO

+55 years --------------- 38% YES 62%

The birth and death rates in Scotland are virtually equal at around 55,000. Therefore every month (if everything was equal) Yes is catching No by around 2000 voters as 16 year olds get the vote.

Edited by mountain shadow
    Posted
    25 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I think there's an IPSOS MORI poll out showing 48% Yes / 52% No in any 2nd Iref so the margins continue to tighten and now of course well within margin of error.

Just looked on the IPSOS site at the tables and again showing how the Union is finished, just a matter of simple birth/death rates...

16 - 24 year olds ------  60% YES   40% NO

25-34 year olds -------- 64% YES   36% NO

35-54 year olds---------- 44% YES 56% NO

+55 years --------------- 38% YES 62%

The birth and death rates in Scotland are virtually equal at around 55,000. Therefore every month (if everything was equal) Yes is catching No by around 2000 voters as 16 year olds get the vote.

People can change their views over time. Generally, as many get older, people become more cautious; more risk adverse.

If i was a Scot Nat i wouldnt be banking on the age demographic issue guaranteeing an Inde "Yes" in the future.

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

People can change their views over time. Generally, as many get older, people become more cautious; more risk adverse.

If i was a Scot Nat i wouldnt be banking on the age demographic issue guaranteeing an Inde "Yes" in the future.

Oh I agree, but the differential is so large that it is far more likely than not. The problem for Scots Nats is that a 2nd Iref might be too soon. The longer Brexit is delayed the better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I hear this line "people get more cautious over time" but I haven't ever seen any hard evidence to back it up. Please back up this sweeping statement :) 

Posted
    6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I hear this line "people get more cautious over time" but I haven't ever seen any hard evidence to back it up. Please back up this sweeping statement :) 

I've witnessed this trait every month for last 10 years since i've been engaged in viewing people discussing issues in my Qual research employment.

Posted
    17 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

No BB, older people in Scotland just self identify more as British. British as an identity has been in decline since it peaked in those born in 1944; the post war baby boomers born into the social solidarity, welfare state, nationalised British Britain. Britain was good to them.

British then steadily declines, with this gathering pace under thatcher-Major. The advent of Devolution causes 'Scottish only' identity to rocket for those who grew up under it.

This is where the high Yes in young people is coming from; they're not British. They're Scottish...and European.

Also why the UK cannot survive much longer. In a couple of years yes will be in majority simply due to demographics; Yes voters are coming of age while unionists pass away. This is something that's all but impossible to stop.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I've witnessed this trait every month for last 10 years since i've been engaged in viewing people discussing issues in my Qual research employment.

But it's wrong, certainly in the Scottish case.

If older people were more conservative / risk averse, why did they vote for brexit; the high risk option?

Oh, and there's a poll recently which Scots say they become slightly more left wing with age. I'll try and dig this out.

Posted

Here we go. From Opinium UK. Scottish respondents.

And would you say you’ve become more left wing or right wing over the past 10 years?

27% More left wing

44% Views haven't changed

13% More right wing

=+14% NET MORE LEFT

In the UK as a whole, as many say more left as say more right, so no rightwards movement there / on balance no change. Scotland more left though.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

No BB, older people in Scotland just self identify more as British. British as an identity has been in decline since it peaked in those born in 1944; the post war baby boomers born into the social solidarity, welfare state, nationalised British Britain. Britain was good to them.

British then steadily declines, with this gathering pace under thatcher-Major. The advent of Devolution causes 'Scottish only' identity to rocket for those who grew up under it.

This is where the high Yes in young people is coming from; they're not British. They're Scottish...and European.

Also why the UK cannot survive much longer. In a couple of years yes will be in majority simply due to demographics; Yes voters are coming of age while unionists pass away. This is something that's all but impossible to stop.

Not necessarily SS.

Movement of people will dictate as well.

People can change views over time. What proportion of Scot Nat voters are voting SNP because they firmly believe in Scot Inde? How many SNP voters vote SNP simply because they prefer SNP policies?

Are all non-SNP voters hardcore Unionists? 

No, sorry, you cannot rely on the demographic dynamic only re the future.

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

No, sorry, you cannot rely on the demographic dynamic only re the future.

It's worked a treat so far.

SNP were minnows when I was born with indy a pipe dream.

50% now support it and that's all down to the slow death of Britishness in Scotland ultimately.

The Tories / Blairites / right have done a great job destroying the UK / Britishness in Scotland slowly but surely. Have handed Scotland to the SNP on a velvet cushion.

Brexit is the end; I've never been more confident of something in my life. All the evidence is there before people.

It's why the UK parties in Scotland / ScotBrit MSM are losing it; they know it too.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

People should be scared of this.

This is the face of Brave New Hard Brexit extreme right Britain. May is just getting started.

http://archive.is/FjsRV

Plans for Scottish Six news programme are dead, Whitehall insiders confirm

WHITEHALL insiders have confirmed the plans for a separate Scottish Six programme are dead.

They referred to the draft BBC charter stressing how the corporation must “contribute to the social cohesion and wellbeing of the United Kingdom,” making clear that if the corporation decided, after making pilots this autumn, to press ahead with a plan for a Scottish Six to replace the current UK-wide programme, then this would be in breach of the new charter.

At Westminster, Karen Bradley, the Culture secretary, made clear that the BBC had to reflect news and the “national mood” across the whole of the UK.

There is no Scottish in Hard Brexit Britain. Only British [sic English] culture.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

It's worked a treat so far.

SNP were minnows when I was born with indy a pipe dream.

50% now support it and that's all down to the slow death of Britishness in Scotland ultimately.

The Tories / Blairites / right have done a great job destroying the UK / Britishness in Scotland slowly but surely. Have handed Scotland to the SNP on a velvet cushion.

Brexit is the end. 

Only time will tell.

SNP riding the crest of the wave at the mo. As the Scots parliament get more powers and the SNP remain in power then they'll come under increased scrutiny.....inevitably that may lead to a more credible opposition in Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    24 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Random sample or people you or your company select or people who self-select? 

Posted

Only time will tell.

SNP riding the crest of the wave at the mo. As the Scots parliament get more powers and the SNP remain in power then they'll come under increased scrutiny.....inevitably that may lead to a more credible opposition in Scotland.

They're not getting any more powers BB. None that can be used. 

Did you think the Tories would hand significant, meaningful new powers the SNP? That's like them freely handing out extra MPs to Jeremy Corbyn to give him a majority or something lol. 

They want to destroy Scottish culture / nationhood, not encourage it.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    7 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

inevitably that may lead to a more credible opposition in Scotland.

Lol, I'd agree, it may lead to a more credible opposition but there's nothing inevitable about it. Just take a close look at the current opposition, they are, with very few exceptions, truly awful. They are also getting worse rather than better and it'd take some major turnaround for the electorate to take them seriously.

Posted
    13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Random sample or people you or your company select or people who self-select? 

Hmmm.......so your questionning a pro qual researcher? We NEVER random sample.

I'm not some 'on the street with a clipboard' merchant.

I'm in Fin Servs; we dont do politics but our core target consumers (80% of time) are the aged 45 pluses - why? - because that is where the wealth and 'power' is.

Believe me, this affluent group become extremely protective of what they've earned, wealth accum - this leads to them developing protective traits and subsequently they rather prefer the status quo.

I get that Scot politics has a different set of dynamics to E&W but people do, and can change. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    30 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

People should be scared of this.

This is the face of Brave New Hard Brexit extreme right Britain. May is just getting started.

There is no Scottish in Hard Brexit Britain. Only British [sic English] culture.

But I am not that interested in the English NHS or English education system, why should I be subject to it when English people are not told about issues with the Scottish NHS or Scottish education system?

Posted

Believe me, this affluent group become extremely protective of what they've earned, wealth accum - this leads to them developing protective traits and the status quo

Brexit has broken that model I'm afraid.

Posted
    9 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Believe me, this affluent group become extremely protective of what they've earned, wealth accum - this leads to them developing protective traits and subsequently they rather prefer the status quo.

By that you mean Scotland in the EU as opposed to the massive risk of a hard Brexit?

• Like 1