Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    42 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

A more optimistic view of the poll....

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/drama-as-tns-poll-reveals-that-brexit.html

Although James can put a positive spin on just about anything when he tries.

It's not a bad poll though, it's showing a stagnation which could be a lot worse. If it was 60N/40Y then it's a bad poll. As SS and others have pointed out Brexit hasn't started yet. Anyone trying to say that it'll all be ok is guessing, although the total gloom merchants are guessing too. The truth is that no-one knows how it will pan out in the long term. 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

A more optimistic view of the poll....

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/drama-as-tns-poll-reveals-that-brexit.html

Although James can put a positive spin on just about anything when he tries.

Certainly is a demographic time bomb for the Union.

Posted

Nicola Sturgeon has said that full membership of the EEA was the absolute minimum required to avert a new IndyRef. Which is being more accommodating than full EU membership for Scotland or new ref.

Boris and co are agitating for hard Brexit and earlier today this:

I thought that a slight softening in Nicola's stance may have suggested that a soft Brexit was being pushed as the way forward behind the scenes. But increasingly I can't see us not going back to the polls for another IndyRef within 2 years of Article 50 bring triggered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    24 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Nicola Sturgeon has said that full membership of the EEA was the absolute minimum required to avert a new IndyRef. Which is being more accommodating than full EU membership for Scotland or new ref.

Boris and co are agitating for hard Brexit and earlier today this:

I thought that a slight softening in Nicola's stance may have suggested that a soft Brexit was being pushed as the way forward behind the scenes. But increasingly I can't see us not going back to the polls for another IndyRef within 2 years of Article 50 bring triggered.

She's trying, shame our lot don't know what day it is.

Posted
    3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's not a bad poll though, it's showing a stagnation which could be a lot worse. If it was 60N/40Y then it's a bad poll. As SS and others have pointed out Brexit hasn't started yet. Anyone trying to say that it'll all be ok is guessing, although the total gloom merchants are guessing too. The truth is that no-one knows how it will pan out in the long term. 

The problem is that a successful brexit looks all but impossible.

Why, because it is inherently impossible? No, because of the circumstances that have brought it about.

If we'd seen the steady rise of a moderate, competent, popular pro-brexit party united around a detailed brexit plan, with this party then winning a mandate for for a referendum, then winning said referendum, then things could work out potentially reasonably well. Certainly some EEA/EFTA type model.

However, instead of being a cause championed by talented leaders with passion backed by a nation-wide grass-roots movement, Brexit is a symptom of a broken, dysfunctional, disintegrating remnant imperial state which is rotten to it's corrupt core. It's large swaths of people in England saying 'The UK government is incompetent and corrupt, we've nothing left to lose. Screw you & to hell with everything!'. That same government elite is still in charge. The problem is not fixed.

The rise of the SNP / slow political detachment of Scotland... the rise of UKIP in England... Blairism and the self destruction of Labour.... Brexit and the coming self destruction of the Tories... are all symptoms of the same malaise.

Brexit can never be a success under such circumstances. It can only lead to the final fall of the British empire project, possibly quite spectacularly.

It might take a while still, but it's too late for the UK now.

After that things can pick up again. Needs to run its course though. Britain's time has just come and gone.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud
    4 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

She's trying, shame our lot don't know what day it is.

It was always going to be a hard line opening gambit from both sides. There'll be months / years of posturing, fudging and spinning with everyone claiming they're getting what they want out of it.

The future isn't black or white. It will be very, very grey with no defining moment or clear resolution. Although it suits those of us hoping to keep the Union, I think the ScotNats waiting for their moment to strike is a mistake. Momentum will stall, indeed it may be slipping away already. 

Summer 2016, the high water mark of the Scottish independence movement?

Posted
    16 minutes ago, Dougal said:

If only I had a pound for every time I've heard that in my nearly 40 years.

Each time the seaweed has been left a little higher up the beach.

---

Ok, make that a Euro; stronger currency.:)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    50 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I think we're almost sort of back where we were before EU referendum, because nothing is happening with Article 50, there's no discernible plan coming from the UK Government for Brexit - it's almost like some sort of Brexit isn't happening parallel timeline at the moment, when/if that changes we are I expect likely to start to see more movement on the Indy question.

Posted
    8 hours ago, Dougal said:

It was always going to be a hard line opening gambit from both sides. There'll be months / years of posturing, fudging and spinning with everyone claiming they're getting what they want out of it.

The future isn't black or white. It will be very, very grey with no defining moment or clear resolution. Although it suits those of us hoping to keep the Union, I think the ScotNats waiting for their moment to strike is a mistake. Momentum will stall, indeed it may be slipping away already. 

But what exactly is the case FOR the Union? What are the overriding benefits ( for Scotland) that suggest we should keep the status quo?

I know full well the disadvantages, someone, anyone, please say something positive that doesn't rely on historical and emotional claptrap.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    44 minutes ago, frogesque said:

But what exactly is the case FOR the Union? What are the overriding benefits ( for Scotland) that suggest we should keep the status quo?

I know full well the disadvantages, someone, anyone, please say something positive that doesn't rely on historical and emotional claptrap.

And something that doesn't involve us alledgedly being 'subsidised' by rUK. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

A seat at the top table?

Bloated state funding to ensure patriotic Olympic glory?? 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    43 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Bloated state funding to ensure patriotic Olympic glory?? 

The opportunity to participate in 'illegal wars'?

• Like 2
    Posted

Sorry to mention the D word again, no not Darien but Dundee................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37361164

This project has been fantastic for Dundee and hopefully the bucket trail will continue. The Dundee Victoria & Albert Museum should open in 2018 and this would be a great tourist attraction.

• Like 1
    Posted
    4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

The opportunity to participate in 'illegal wars'?

I see the man who was responsible for helping to create the Iraqi insurgency and who, as far as I know, helped to introduce the world to the word "insurgent" has been calling people who support independence for Scotland insurgents again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Scotland now has the strongest employment ratio in the UK. The figures for employed vs unemployed are 4.7% (UK 4.9%) to 74.5% (UK 74.5%). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37360294

Edited by NorthernRab
    • Like 2
    Posted
    53 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Scotland now has the strongest employment ratio in the UK. The figures for employed vs unemployed are 4.7% (UK 4.9%) to 74.5% (UK 74.5%). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37360294

Aye, due to Scotland being totally dependent on oil, the impact of the biggest downturn in 20 years has really hit job figures.

• Like 1
    Posted
    32 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, due to Scotland being totally dependent on oil, the impact of the biggest downturn in 20 years has really hit job figures.

How do be get this across to the Cringers though? Most of them wont believe a word you tell them.

Posted
    8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

How do be get this across to the Cringers though? Most of them wont believe a word you tell them.

You'll never reach them, people who don't want to listen will always be deaf. It's the don't knows and the very soft NOs you need to reach. Or the people who support independence but who don't vote. 

Posted

I assume he'll step down or be be suspended from the Tories until this is all cleared up right?

Ruth?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tory-millionaire-msp-alexander-burnett-8832317

Tory millionaire MSP Alexander Burnett reported to police amid claims he broke election spending rules

Complaints about Alexander Burnett, MSP for Aberdeenshire West, were passed to officers on the advice of the Electoral Commission...

...The row sparked a separate clash over “anti-EU” comments directed at the former SNP MSP for Aberdeenshire West, Christian Allard, who is French.

In a recent statement, the Tory press office questioned Allard’s right to speak up about the property allegations in his area.

Allard, who lost to Burnett in May, was described as an EU citizen rather than a local resident with concerns.

On Tuesday, the Consular councillor for French nationals in Scotland, Professor David Lussea, called on Tory leader Ruth Davidson to step in.

In a latter to Davidson, he wrote: “You must understand that the slightest slip of the tongue, the slightest allusion, can open the floodgate of xenophobia.

“The minority of people interested in segregating our communities will take it as a sign that xenophobia is acceptable.”

And what do the Tories have against my wife? Should she keep her nose out of local matters because she's not blood & soil British either?

We, like the Consular Councillor for French Nationals in Scotland, would like an answer.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Agreed, warrants suspension pending an enquiry.

Sadly, poor accounting, greed and bigotry are represented by a minority across the political spectrum.

For balance:

http://order-order.com/2016/05/23/snp-chopper-not-declared-properly/

http://2015/03/28/the-snp-and-the-expences-scandal-the-truth/

http://news/politics/get-pakis-out-party-snp-7328646

Posted
    17 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Agreed, warrants suspension pending an enquiry.

Sadly, poor accounting, greed and bigotry are represented by a minority across the political spectrum.

For balance:

Have you actually got any examples of wrong doing?

Random links to obscure English right-wing sites with unsubstantiated stories doesn't add much to the discussion.

The Daily Record I linked too is anti-SNP/anti-independence.

My main point was not to apportion guilt - the police will judge in time - just to point out double standards. If the MSP was SNP, they'd be out of the party immediately until cleared. The UK MSM would be all over it, demanding that based on even the slightest hint of impropriety.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Again, agreed. By why is it on the Scottish politics thread? 

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Again, agreed. By why is it on the Scottish politics thread? 

Why should it not be?

It concerns brexit; the hottest topic in Scottish politics.

I have friends/work colleagues who have been directly affected by this since brexit when down in England. It's real.

Remember this?

Labour-Immigration-pledge-mug.png

Aye, well that's where we are now. When you chase the knuckle dragger vote, you give them permission...

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2