Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

I see there is a co-ordinated attack by the establishment on the Wings Over Scotland site. A site with over 50,000 Twitter followers taken down because of a complaint by a rubbish hack at the Express.

Clearly, they want The Rev out of the way before the next referendum.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I see there is a co-ordinated attack by the establishment on the Wings Over Scotland site. A site with over 50,000 Twitter followers taken down because of a complaint by a rubbish hack at the Express.

If only they'd have closed down all those websites, from which the Brexit campaign spieled all its lies? More right-wing hypocrisy in operation...:angry:

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

A "co-ordinated attack" is unlikely, especially since "the establishment" are clearly incapable of co-coordinating their way out of a wet paper bag (see-Brexit 'plan' if you doubt that). Really all it is is one so called journalist having a hissy fit over nothing. That a complaint from her is enough to get Twitter to suspend the account though defies belief, especially when the alleged offensive comment is mildly insulting at best and pales into insignificance compared to the incendiary language used in her Express article.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

A "co-ordinated attack" is unlikely, especially since "the establishment" are clearly incapable of co-coordinating their way out of a wet paper bag (see-Brexit 'plan' if you doubt that). Really all it is is one so called journalist having a hissy fit over nothing. That a complaint from her is enough to get Twitter to suspend the account though defies belief, especially when the alleged offensive comment is mildly insulting at best and pales into insignificance compared to the incendiary language used in her Express article.

The Yoon media have already latched onto it. Hootsman and P&J. Another false stick to beat those nasty cybernats with.

This "journalist" has clearly set out to get a reaction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The Yoon media have already latched onto it. Hootsman and P&J. Another false stick to beat those nasty cybernats with.

This "journalist" has clearly set out to get a reaction.

I agree, and the 'usual suspects' will happily lap it up and spin it for all it's worth. I still think it's opportunistic rather than coordinated though.

Posted

I take it by today's antics the P&J and Scotsman condone and support the inflammatory hate speech of the Daily Express. The article in question was bile and bunkum.

Not surprised by the hootsman but expected slightly better from the P&J.

This does nicely illustrate how it's one rule for Unionists while those on the pro Indy side are held to a much higher standard by a wilfully blind and blinkered MSM. It is truly see no evil, hear no evil on the pro Union side!

The Daily Express is forever printing incendiary articles. Yet saying Siobhan McFadyen's bile filled nonsense is a disgrace to journalism warrants being silenced?

• Like 1
    Posted

This will play into the snp hands what a load of rubbish  

• Like 4
    Posted

It's excellent publicity for Wings.

Should bring a big boost in readership. 

Papers used to delete comments with links to Wings, but they can't help themselves on this, so giving it top notch publicity now.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I've spent half an hour reading through all that...had to check the date wasn't the 1st of April. Pretty gobsmacked and I thought I'd seen it all with this kind of nonsense. 

Posted

And wings twitter is up and running again.

From his personal account

You can't buy publicity like that. 

Round of applause for the British unionist MSM.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

Evenin' all. SS, enjoyed the Scottish history posts from earlier and was reminded of the Darien Scheme which I remember covering in history at school.

As I recall it was Scotland's attempt to join the big league of 'World' traders but ended disastrously for various reasons, more or less bankrupted Scotland and left it with little option to seek a Union with England.

Posted
    1 minute ago, Dougal said:

Evenin' all. SS, enjoyed the Scottish history posts from earlier and was reminded of the Darien Scheme which I remember covering in history at school.

As I recall it was Scotland's attempt to join the big league of 'World' traders but ended disastrously for various reasons, more or less bankrupted Scotland and left it with little option to seek a Union with England.

Hi Dougal.

Suggest you read up on it again.

The vast majority of Scots in 1707 did not want a Union with England but they didn't have vote. The landed gentry and some of the mercantile class who did vote were bought and sold for English gold, they were the parcel of rogues.

Posted

I was born in the year Britain went bankrupt. Cap in hand to the IMF. The biggest ever bailout to date and a national humiliation.

Well not Britain really, as Scotland was in profit.

• Like 1
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Scotland the state wasn't bankrupt, some of the landed gentry lost a lot and were looking for a personal bailout - they are the parcel of rouges that were bought for English gold. 

• Like 2
    Posted

Are the BBC playing up the sectarian card? Maximising sectarianism is really important for Labour and the Tories in Scotland. That's why they want to repeal the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act - nothing to do with some principled libertarian stance as they may proclaim. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37343895

Posted
    6 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Scotland the state wasn't bankrupt, some of the landed gentry lost a lot and were looking for a personal bailout - they are the parcel of rouges that were bought for English gold. 

I thought it was the Alien Act of 1705 which finally did it? Even being "bankrupt" wasn't enough on its own, England threatened to cease trading and prevent free movement with Scotland if union was not pursued. 

It's weird, cos when I was taught about the union at school the ONLY thing which was mentioned was Darien, then kind England saved Scotland from being bankrupt. No mention of riots in the streets as the general population did not want union or the Alien Act or anything else going on at the time. 

Posted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Act_1705

The Alien Act provided that Scottish nationals in England were to be treated as aliens (foreign nationals)...

Aye, over 300 years ago yet still 'furriners!' central to things. Wall at Gretna! Passport to see yer gran!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, over 300 years ago yet still 'furriners!' central to things. Wall at Gretna! Passport to see yer gran!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

They could make a prequel to the Brexit film..."Scentry: Aliens to Union". 

• Like 1
    Posted
    43 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Hi Dougal.

The vast majority of Scots in 1707 did not want a Union with England but they didn't have vote. The landed gentry and some of the mercantile class who did vote were bought and sold for English gold, they were the parcel of rogues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Yep, just read up as suggested. Scotland really doesn't come out of it well to say the least! 

Some striking similarities with the current political scenario too.

Posted
    7 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Some striking similarities with the current political scenario too.

Yes, I thought that about Brexit too.

Do the English Government have a plan for that yet incidentally? It's been what, 81 days now right?

It's becoming a tad embarrassing internationally.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    10 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Sending an intrepid reporter north to find out what's going on in Scotland suggests something abnormal is happening in Scotland

Odd way to describe a born and bred Scotsman who just happens to work/ live outside the land of his birth?

10 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Marr definitely is British though in identity, unlike the majority of Scots. And that will affect his politics.

Any empirical evidence for this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    59 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Hi Dougal.

Truth be told, MS - neither did the majority of English folk want a union with Scotland - there were anti-Scottish demonstrations in London, immediately following said amalgamation...Then again, only the toffs were considered worthy enough to vote here, too...

• Like 1
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Odd way to describe a born and bred Scotsman who just happens to work/ live outside the land of his birth?

Any empirical evidence for this?

It's how he describes himself generally. The whole programme actually centred on him going to Scotland after decades in England to 'find out how it had changed / what was going on'. You watched it right?

He's well known as a strong unionist, ergo British. Or are you saying he doesn't see himself as British? Evidence please!

---

Marr seems to be kinda British in identity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007nn9k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Marr's_History_of_Modern_Britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ztg00

https://nudge-book.com/blog/2015/10/we-british-the-poetry-of-a-people-by-andrew-marr/

We-British-360x560.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Yes, I thought that about Brexit too.

Do the English Government have a plan for that yet incidentally? It's been what, 81 days now right?

It's becoming a tad embarrassing internationally.

No idea, different thread anyway I think.

Anyway, as I said, cheers for reminding me about the Darien Scheme. I was fascinated to read up on it again. There's a warning in there for all of us I guess.