Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

This has probably been answered / discussed here in the past but does anyone have any idea (with supporting polling data) of the likely voting intention of the 15% who didn't vote last time? 

Slightly odd question maybe because the obvious conclusion was that they couldn't make up their mind or 'couldnae be ersed' but there were enough of them to make a difference if motivated either way next time round.

Or maybe the very high turnout would drop in a second ref because of referendum apathy.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Dougal
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    6 minutes ago, Dougal said:

This has probably been answered / discussed here in the past but does anyone have any idea (with supporting polling data) of the likely voting intention of the 15% who didn't vote last time? 

Slightly odd question maybe because the obvious conclusion was that they couldn't make up their mind or 'couldnae be ersed' but there were enough of them to make a difference if motivated either way next time round.

Or maybe the very high turnout would drop in a second because of referendum apathy.

Any thoughts?

Their likely intention is 'will not vote'.

100% turnouts are all but unheard of and the 85% that voted in 2014 was something of a record for British politics.

There will always be a group of people who just either can't decide, or don't really care.

Not sure for next time. Apathy normally occurs when a result looks clear cut from the media; those planing to vote for the projected winner tend to think they don't need to bother, while the other side are  determined to get their voice heard. This happened in the EUref with turnouts a little lower than predicted, and this benefiting Leave by at least 4 points.

If it looks to be narrow again, then another high turnout would be most likely.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Their likely intention is 'will not vote'.

100% turnouts are all but unheard of and the 85% that voted in 2014 was something of a record for British politics.

There will always be a group of people who just either can't decide, or don't really care.

Not sure for next time. Apathy normally occurs when a result looks clear cut from the media; those planing to vote for the projected winner tend to think they don't need to bother, while the other side are  determined to get their voice heard. This happened in the EUref with turnouts a little lower than predicted, and this benefiting Leave by at least 4 points.

If it looks to be narrow again, then another high turnout would be most likely.

Ta. So turnout has probably peaked at 85ish% then.

Any guess (or stats) on what % of the turnout might've been undecided right to the last minute and then voted? It's this group who will decide it if its close again.

Nothing loaded in these questions btw. Just trying to boil it down a bit. Unlike many pro unionists (including the PM it seems), I'm of the opinion that the divergent EUref voting does warrant a second Indy ref. No point pretending otherwise.

• Like 1
    Posted
    49 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Jeez.

But no Scotland game on council telly, neither BBC nor STV.

You need to pay for it on Sky.

And yet Scots continue to subsidise the English premiership by signing up to SKY in large numbers whilst the SPFL gets nothing but scraps from the table.

• Like 1
    Posted

I think the problem with any turnout estimations etc right now is we are quite a long time from any vote. Probably at least 2 years.

The last time, Yes went from ~30% to 45% steadily 2012-2014.

It could be a forgone conclusion next time when it comes to actual voting day, just as the EUref was.

The biggest factor is brexit, or rather what happens in England here. In a way it's out of Scottish unionist's hands.

A hard, anti-furriner brexit, the cost of which is severe economic damage, and the UK ends. A soft full EEA one and well, that could be narrow.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Brexit could do serious harm here.

Europe loves our food and drink.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37266921

'Record' year for Scotland's food and drink sector

Scotland's food and drink sector generated a record annual turnover of £14.4bn in 2014, new figures showed.

The Scottish government said the food manufacturing sector in Scotland increased at nearly twice the rate of the UK average from 2008 to 2014.

In that period, the government said it had increased by 43%.

Ministers said the figures showed the sector was making good progress towards its 2017 target of £16.5bn. It has been identified as a growth sector.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Jeez.

Hey, that's no funny. I was decorating so wanted to listen to the Eng / Slo match on the radio and all I could find was stuart pierce on talk$hite. Awful. So was the commentary.

Oh, and I think I count as a republican unionist secessionist neo-anarchist hippy now.  Gets weirder by the year.

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 2
    Posted
    5 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Jeez.

Sold to the highest bidder by the Scottish FA I'm afraid. Do the "crown jewels" rules not apply in Scotland?

Posted
    8 hours ago, davehsug said:

Sold to the highest bidder by the Scottish FA I'm afraid. Do the "crown jewels" rules not apply in Scotland?

Unfortunately in 'one party state' Scotland, the Scottish government have no control / influence over broadcasting whatsoever.

They can't even ensure brainwashing patriotic football games are beamed to the nation, never mind get STV to silence journalists.

:wink:

Posted

Notice as well that ALL the TV channels lead with England beating Slovenia ahead of Scotland hammering Malta. Why is this? 

Posted
    16 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Notice as well that ALL the TV channels lead with England beating Slovenia ahead of Scotland hammering Malta. Why is this? 

Nearly 60 million English, 5 million Scots?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
    15 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Jeez.

*Boggle*, that's some dismal patter right there. Is STV always like that? 

Posted
    1 hour ago, davehsug said:

Nearly 60 million English, 5 million Scots?

So in America,  do they report the Sport from the biggest state down to the smallest in decending order? Not sure that they do.

So what you are saying Davehsug is that the UK is not a equal four nations? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Seems bizarre especially as the last game between England and Slovenia was last year so not especially hot news :whistling:

• Like 2
    Posted
    35 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

So in America,  do they report the Sport from the biggest state down to the smallest in decending order? Not sure that they do.

Im not sure what your point is?   ITV brought the rights to show England qualifying games i believe the contract ends again next year   Which time  perhaps Sky or BBc might buy the rights   

Posted

Topic up for discussion on BBC radio Scotland phone in this morning: 'Was Scotland's win in Malta really a good thing?'

For real.

I mean was England winning in Slovakia possibly a bad thing for them?

#britjockcringe

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Careful! You don't want to offend Slovenia and Slovakia by mixing them up. They could veto your re entry into the EU if it comes to it!

Posted
    3 hours ago, Dougal said:

Careful! You don't want to offend Slovenia and Slovakia by mixing them up. They could veto your re entry into the EU if it comes to it!

Apologies for mixing the two up, these Eastern Europeans are all the same to me ;-)

And they won't have to veto Scotland's "re entry" to the EU as we wont have left in the first place.

Edited by mountain shadow
    Posted
    4 hours ago, weirpig said:

Im not sure what your point is?   ITV brought the rights to show England qualifying games i believe the contract ends again next year   Which time  perhaps Sky or BBc might buy the rights   

My point was that English football ALWAYS leads in the Sports news across all media ahead of Scottish football.

Posted
    7 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Not at all. There's just a massive difference in the numbers. For the same reason that my own Stoke City get a fraction of the coverage that Man U, Chelsea et al get.

It does seem wrong that England qualifying games must be free to air, while Scotland's do not. Is it within the Scottish government's competences?

Posted
    2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Is it within the Scottish government's competences?

Scottish broadcasting control is a matter reserved to the Westminster government.

Posted

And so it begins.

Didn't take long; it's just the first day back at work.

https://archive.is/ZZleh

May accused of backsliding on immigration after rejecting points-based system

THERESA May has been accused of backsliding on immigration after ruling out the points-based immigration policy championed by Brexit campaigners, claiming it was "not a silver bullet" to reduce the numbers coming to the UK.

The accusation was made by outgoing Ukip leader Nigel Farage, who said that "watering down" the system backed by the Leave side in the EU referendum would lead to real anger.

"The people were clear in wanting a points-based immigration system which is why so many went out and voted to Leave the European Union. Any watering down from that will lead to real anger," insisted Mr Farage.

Tories / the right will be rats in a sack in no time.

Edited by scottish skier