Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Transport Scotland have put up some drone footage of the new mate alignment and the merge onto the existing line just West of the Cutty Sark bridge, where the new A8 then turns right into the distance.

Also first works for building up the ground for the new overbridge that will remove level crossings at Forres Station enabling the station to be shifted onto a new straight through alignment. Station is currently single track on a sharp curve and the new station will be double track on a straight. This along with Dalcross Station and passing loop and the Orton Loop are due to allow an hourly Inverness - Aberdeen service by 2019 and a half hourly Inverness - Elgin service soon after.

forres-station.jpg

About half the Kincraig - Dalraddy dualling new carriageway is surfaced and lined on the A9, looks like we might not be to far away from seeing traffic switch onto the new carriageway to allow some new underpasses for the estates to be extended under the old carriageway. 

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 6
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

When you look at all the fantastic infrastructure work that has taken place under the SNP administration at Holyrood, you have to ask what the hell were Labour and the Torys doing before hand!?

For me, the only main infrastructure bugbear is a lack of train station at either Glasgow and Edinburgh airports.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

When you look at all the fantastic infrastructure work that has taken place under the SNP administration at Holyrood, you have to ask what the hell were Labour and the Torys doing before hand!?

For me, the only main infrastructure bugbear is a lack of train station at either Glasgow and Edinburgh airports.

The new link road from the A96 into Aberdeen Airport and the surrounding industrial estates opened on Monday and has made an instant difference. For a road that's less than 1 mile long a colleague reckon its saving him 15mins each way every day. 

I arrive and depart at less busy times so it's less obvious to me. On a good day it takes me 20mins to get home 12 miles, some days though it used to take me that just getting the first mile to the A96. I'll gain if it cuts out that nonsense, which it has so far. 

When the full Aberdeen bypass opens its going to be heaven for lots of people. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    23 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The new link road from the A96 into Aberdeen Airport and the surrounding industrial estates opened on Monday and has made an instant difference. For a road that's less than 1 mile long a colleague reckon its saving him 15mins each way every day. 

I arrive and depart at less busy times so it's less obvious to me. On a good day it takes me 20mins to get home 12 miles, some days though it used to take me that just getting the first mile to the A96. I'll gain if it cuts out that nonsense, which it has so far. 

When the full Aberdeen bypass opens its going to be heaven for lots of people. 

Anything which bypasses Aberdeen is a good thing, but then em fae Dundee.

:-)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Anything which bypasses Aberdeen is a good thing, but then em fae Dundee.

:-)

Not being from Aberdeen myself I can agree with you. I like the area but not the city and especially not the roads through it. Then again I'd also be more than happy not to have to go through Dundee on my way south either. Next up, Dundee bypass?

New Forth Crossing looks impressive btw, went that way rather than A9 at the weekend when visiting family near Airdrie.

Posted
    39 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Not being from Aberdeen myself I can agree with you. I like the area but not the city and especially not the roads through it. Then again I'd also be more than happy not to have to go through Dundee on my way south either. Next up, Dundee bypass?

Agreed. Getting through Dundee is a nightmare with about ten circles between the Forfar and Perth Roads. 

Posted

Properly bypassing Dundee probably should be the next big thing on the A90/M90 corridor and would be good to have it as the M90 and extend the blue line further North (though that will need work between Dundee and the Friarton Bridge to provide linked up alternatives and a whole host of legalities in changing the roads status). Something really needs to be done to some of the horrendous 1990s major at grade junctions though, the short sightedness and poor quality of the 1990s completion of A90 dualling between Dundee and Aberdeen, plus the complete lack of any progress on taking the A90 out of Aberdeen was a disgrace given the amount of revenue that flooded into HM Treasury through the North East.

Closer to home for me, something that would be transformational for rail around the inner Moray Firth is re-doubling the Lentran Loop from Clachnaharry towards Beauly, at present you get 3 trains in 40 minutes through Beauly in one direction, then blank for 2 hours plus because of the huge length of single track line, one train problem in the morning can trash the entire days service on the Far North Line as well. Reopening Lentran station would make a fantastic park and ride facility as well, this is something I'd like to see move up the priority list from just talking about!  As for a wish list reopening Clachnaharry station, Culloden Station, plus new station on the Highland Mainline serving the new Inverness Campus and Retail and Business Park directly, and possibly reopening Tomatin station since many trains stop there to pass anyway would really bring to life the 'Invernet' commuter service concept. 

• Like 4
    Posted

I see the UK government are continuing to say no hard border between an independent Scotland in Europe and a WEngxited England.

http://archive.is/H3jhC

David Davis: We want to keep UK and Irish border open

Brexit minister David Davis has said the UK and Republic ofIreland want to retain an open border.

Keeping the single energy market covering Northern Irelandand the Republic, exports and skills would also be important in making the departure a success for Northern Ireland, Mr Davis said.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You know what that means, SS: Shishmageddon via the back door? I'm sure somebody told us all that Turkey was about to join the EU!:yahoo:

Posted

https://archive.is/HHxv2

Scottish engineering sector hit by effects of Brexit, report claims

Post-Brexit uncertainty has been blamed for a slump in the Scottish engineering industry.

Scottish Engineering surveyed members for its quarterly review and found falling orders and outputs as well as a drop in employment levels.

The report found order levels have been negative for eight consecutive quarters and were worse only during the global slump of 2009.

A total of 45% of firms said their orders were down while 32% said they remained static and 23% said orders had gone up.

Almost half of firms (48%) said their output volumes had fallen in the past three months while 21% reported an increase and 31% said they remained the same.

A total of 29% of respondents said their staffing levels had dipped while 51% said there had been no change and 20% reported an increase.

The report said Brexit uncertainty was having a "totally negative effect" on the Scottish engineering industry...

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Yougov, which tends to be less SNP / more unionist friendly.

Holyrood voting intention-01.png

Y/N PoP remains unchanged on 52.2% Yes / 47.8% N.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Another bullet dodged by 2014's vote to stay in the UK.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/another-bullet-dodged/

Then:

btdefencejobs.jpg

Now:

“A new academic study shows the decline in employment by the Ministry of Defence, down by nearly a quarter in the past eight years.

The number of civilian MoD employees has fallen from 6,500 to 3,730 in eight years – a time of government budget cuts.

The number in military roles is down from 12,400 in 2008 to 10,100 this year.”

scr.png

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Given the lack of popular support for SLAB, why does it get so much coverage in the MSM? 

Pretty steady support of 55 percent for independence.  Howdo we ensure they stay on board in Iref2? 

Posted
    1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Given the lack of popular support for SLAB, why does it get so much coverage in the MSM? 

Pretty steady support of 55 percent for independence.  Howdo we ensure they stay on board in Iref2? 

Because the MSM still don't accept that Labour's time in Scotland is over. It's a relic of the past, with that being the actual term people used when polling focus groups asked.

Tories are stuck at their ceiling too; they've nicked a few orange sashers back off Labour by taking the 'no surrender' stance on the union, but that's the best they can do.

As for the narrow backing for indy tomorrow in polling averages, that's exactly what was predicted simply due to a UK brexit vote in itself.

It's the coming social, economic and political disaster of the totally ineptly handled brexit that will drive the Yes vote from here on in. Many people still don't appreciate the crapstorm coming. It's not the brexit vote itself, but what it signifies; the final collapse of the British political system. It's a symptom of a system which is rotten and hollowed out, just as the collapse of Labour is.

For now it looks outwardly like the Tories have put a steady hand on the brexit helm. It's not the case though as you pointed out indirectly. Aye, two months on and still no brexit plan. Well, that's because most Tory MPs don't want Brexit and the ones that do are further split into the soft and hard brexit camps. Normally, the Tories agree well with each other; shaft the poor, help the rich, privatise etc. However, the EU is the most divisive of issues for them and one which has nearly torn them part apart a number of times. Sit back and watch; the reason there's no plan is that the moment there is one, at least 2 factions will disagree with it and all hell will break lose.

It is that lack of a plan / political stability which will fuel the economic malaise, with both feeding off each other.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Another bullet dodged by 2014's vote to stay in the UK.

I wonder if May will see sense when it comes to the MOD or if she keeps cutting. Everything needs an increase, the money isn't there, and the magic £350m a week won't do anything. It is however one of the reasons people voted out.

Posted

And here seems to be our explanation for how Norway is still raking it in, yet the revenues from Scottish waters have shrunk massively.

And that reason is being part of the UK.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

And here seems to be our explanation for how Norway is still raking it in, yet the revenues from Scottish waters have shrunk massively.

And that reason is being part of the UK.

One of the best articles I have ever read on Wings.  Actually brought a tear to my eye thinking of what might have been.

Scotland prides itself on its education system yet millions refuse to educate themselves as to how Westminster has raped the country and used the media to cover up the facts. 

No voters should be made to sit down and read this.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

One of the best articles I have ever read on Wings.  Actually brought a tear to my eye thinking of what might have been.

Scotland prides itself on its education system yet millions refuse to educate themselves as to how Westminster has raped the country and used the media to cover up the facts. 

No voters should be made to sit down and read this.

I agree however they will not believe it, and call it propaganda. The media feeds so much propaganda it's difficult to believe the truth if you believe the lies.

Edited by alexisj9
    Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
    6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Taken from the same You Gov page....

With the SNP set to relaunch their campaign for independence, 50% of Scots oppose a second referendum....

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2016-09-01/Scotland independence 31 Aug 2016-01.png

Scotland%20independence%2031%20Aug%202016-01.png

Scotland%20independence%2031%20Aug%202016-01.png

Edited by kar999
    • Like 1
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, kar999 said:

Taken rom the same You Gov page....

I did include this latest result in my poll of polls which is >52% Yes on average.

It's only Yougov who have got a narrow No post brexit.

The latest poll is Yougov - same as the last one which leaves the average.

From Britain Elects.

POP.png

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

I did include the results in my poll of polls. >52% Yes.

It's only Yougov who have got a narrow No post brexit.

Okie Dokie. :)

She said: "The commission will inform our thinking on how growth can be sustained in the here and now and during the period of uncertainty caused by Brexit.

"But it will also examine projections for Scotland's finances in the context of independence and consider a policy programme - with social justice at its heart - to grow the economy and reduce Scotland's deficit to a sustainable level.

"It will also consider the monetary arrangements that would best support and underpin a strategy for sustainable growth."

Looking forward to seeing all those juicy numbers in a new White Paper in due course. :hi:

• Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, kar999 said:

Looking forward to seeing all those juicy numbers in a new White Paper in due course. :hi:

It's the no debt this time that's the biggie. UK has refused Scotland taking a share. You'll recall it being ruled out by all the UK parties ahead of 2014 (no access to Sterling printing presses).

The cross border in/out of the EU totally writes this off too really (currency union).

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

...and oil at c. $50 not c. $100.

I know it should go up sometime whenever but she'll need to nail it down in a base case.

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, kar999 said:

...and oil at c. $50 not c. $100.

I know it should go up sometime whenever but she'll need to nail it down in a base case.

What on earth does that matter when you are debt free and your GVA is the same as the rUK without oil?

Brexit has ruined the economic case for the UK. It's derailing in painful slow motion and you know it.

And Yes is ahead, the onus is now on the pro-UK camp to explain how the massive uncertainty of the UK is better than the safe status quo of the EU.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1