Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Aye, I think the currency union approach is increasingly no longer a goer. Better to be debt free with a currency that actually has some value, rather than being paid in currency that is in long term decline, with this now accelerating due to brexit.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/5284-gbp-to-eur-and-usd-resillience

British Pound Falls vs Euro, Dollar as BoE Buys Gilts and McCafferty Warns of Further Cuts

The Bank of England has started hoovering up UK government debt ensuring the GBP remains under notable pressure.

The Pound to Dollar exchange rate is today at 1.2986, the 2016 low is at 1.2946, reached on the 8th of July.

The Pound to Euro exchange rate is currently at 1.1713, the 2016 low is at 1.165361, reached on the 6th of the 7th.

HSBC are predicting Sterling will collapse to parity with the Euro within a year or so. We're already ~10% worse off than we were pre-brexit. Parity would be 20% worse off. Literally, the £ in your pocket would be worth 20% less than previously. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottish skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

How long before prices start to rise and we see stagflation?

With Europe ticked off and now the Chinese getting the hump just who does the UK, in particular that SE money pit, expect to trade with? Very little produced down there that can't be obtained from other world wide sources.

For some reason, Credance Clearwater Revival, Bad Moon Rising, keeps playing in my head.

• Like 3

A serious amount of snubbing still going on I see... 

Nicola Sturgeon has travelled to Berlin for talks with a member of the German government about the UK's Brexit vote.

Ms Sturgeon met Minister of State for Europe Michael Roth, who hailed her as a "dedicated pro-European".

The first minister said she had set out Scotland's perspective on the EU referendum, saying she was aiming to strengthen Scotland's relations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-37026212

Keep it up Nicola. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, I think the currency union approach is increasingly no longer a goer. Better to be debt free with a currency that actually has some value, rather than being paid in currency that is in long term decline, with this now accelerating due to brexit.

HSBC are predicting Sterling will collapse to parity with the Euro within a year or so. We're already ~10% worse off than we were pre-brexit. Parity would be 20% worse off. Literally, the £ in your pocket would be worth 20% less than previously. 

Absolutely right.

Independent Scotland and RUK  sharing the same currency is  simply not a credible option: economic or political - never has been , never could be 

My concern has always been that the ' Lumphinans Limpet' will become too strong post Indy and we will absolutely have to create a Norwegian style Wealth Fund.

Sharing the Pound might have worked previously given good will on both sides (the Pound being as much Scottish as RUk's) but good grace and Westminster are foreign concepts. Sad really.

8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Anyone know where the UK Central North Sea is?...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37034998

Is it anywhere near the Southern North Sea UK Channel which separates Kent & France?

Next to Buzzard. South central Scottish north sea.

Oranje-Nassa-IM.jpg

• Like 1

The anti-SNP unionist press is really become a parody of itself.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-unending-badness/

The unending badness

backfire.jpg

Backfires? What, the fares have gone UP?

But it transpires that in fact the cheaper fares have been a huge success, increasing traffic to remote island communities by up to 80%, exactly as they were designed to do in the hopes of boosting the local economies. So how is that bad, exactly?

“A Scottish Government scheme to introduce cheaper ferry fares has backfired – leading to an unwelcome surge in traffic on tiny island roads.”...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The SNP baaaaaddddddd!!! in the Union media is now beyond embarrassing.

It really is isn't it? I read the WoS story earlier and couldn't believe ithe Herald was serious. What next? "Scottish government's healthy eating drive backfires as longer life expectancy leads to increased state pensions bill"? 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, scottish skier said:

#BetterTogether

Another example of Labour working against Scotland as thanks for voting Labour... This licensing regime was introduced as a 'market reform' by New Labour. Prior to these changes, both pre and post privatisation Scottish Hydro Electric had the cheapest electricity tariffs in the UK. The power for the North was generated in the North, but now even power produced and consumed locally is subject to these fees, thus the former North of Scotland Hydro Board area now has the most expensive tariffs. 

Scottish Hydro Electric and Scottish Power were also fully vertically integrated utilities, they were artificially sub-divided by Labour, with no cross subsidising between the layers permitted - forcing up prices and corporate profit at each level (it was deemed unfair competition against England apparently because the Scottish companies were integrated and thus more efficient with lower consumer prices, so rather than fix England, Labour decided to break what worked well for consumers in Scotland). 

Let's complete the transformation of Scottish Local Government that started with the introduction of Single Transferable Vote and wipe Labour off the council map next May - Labour has been getting exactly what it deserved for the way it treated Scotland.

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 4

Aye, well this is what you fought for in the iref Daily Record.

http://archive.is/VlfGf

Brexit could cost Scots £6bn as Theresa May admits she can't match the funds from the EU

THE Conservatives hit Holyrood with the blow that Westminster can't guarantee the same funds earmarked for Scotland's economy after Brexit.

Edited by scottish skier
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, well this is what you fought for in the iref Daily Record.

Don't worry when it comes to that, I doubt she will match the English EU fund either, or the welsh or Irish ones, everyone's got to go without whatever the EU was funding. Including Scientists, hospitals, educational institutions, and everything else. I really don't think people realise what they have done under the illusion of sovereignty. 

Have not seen this mentioned on here.   Some of the media already spitting feathers.  Interesting that they chose Edinburgh.  Fronted by Scottish presenters too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37036900

All media have their own agendas whether it's the BBC, ITV, CNN, FOX. RT etc.   Probably turn out to have their own too.

Don't know much of anything about this organisation but we should be able to form our own opinion soon?

Edited by Blitzen
14 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Have not seen this mentioned on here.   Some of the media already spitting feathers.  Interesting that they chose Edinburgh over London.  Fronted by Scottish presenters too.  Radio only though. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37036900

All media have their own agendas whether it's the BBC, ITV, CNN, FOX. etc.   Probably turn out to have their own too.

Don't know much of anything about this organisation but we should be able to form our own opinion soon?

Well just like other foreign news agencies it will show how one sided our news agencies really are, and we will get the other side of the story regarding things like Ukraine and Syria, which I don't see as a bad thing. We may get to understand things better, only those who are interested in doing so though. It will end up as another ruiters? or aljazers? in most peoples eye's though, foreign propaganda.

(not sure of the spelling of those news agencies)

• Like 2

We already have a foreign state broadcaster pushing its propaganda in Scotland, so I'm sure what any issue would be with another one should that be the case. At least it won't fine you / send you to the gulags for not paying for it.

If anything, you might expect a Russian channel to be more neutral on the Scottish politics subject. RT covered a lot of pro-indy stuff during the iref that channels controlled by London didn't for obvious reasons.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Prepared to give R. Sputnik a go especially if it puts a wasp up Westminster's nose. At least it can't be any worse than R. Shortbread.

Aye, I've seen some real foaming at the mouth responses from British establishment figures at the story, which is good enough for me to welcome Sputnik with open arms, even if I never tune in.

It's like the Scottish Six; it will likely be so crap I'll never watch it, but the fact it's got certain rabid unionists shrieking and wailing at the concept of more Scottish orientated news programme, I'm backing it to the hilt.

Anyway, the idea that British news is a beacon of impartiality and we should only listen to it is comical, particularly in modern Scotland.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2