Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Anyone listen to Radio Scotland the morn.

Had Tom P45 Harris and some other Labour dude on.

The message was 'Scotland's electorate is just basically stupid and only thinks about flags'.

Real hearts and minds stuff ahead of May's elections.

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Labour: Abstaining for Britain! ((c) Labour Party 2016).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/investigatory-powers-bill-labour-will-abstain-on-the-new-snoopers-charter-andy-burnham-says-a6930026.html

Investigatory Powers Bill: Labour will abstain on the new 'Snooper's Charter' Andy Burnham says

Labour MPs will abstain in a vote on the Government’s latest so-called “Snooper’s Charter”, the shadow home secretary has said.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Fairly standard for our not so friendly to the SNP pollster Yougov.

Looks like Ruth and Kezia losing some support while the FM holds firm.

EDIT Dave doing really poorly as usual.

Do you think that David Cameron is doing well or badly as Prime Minister?
    23(-3)% Well
    63(-1)% Badly

All fairly standard. SNP get a net positive in every  aspect of governance bar Police Scotland where its slightly negative, but improving on last time.

11% Want Tax cuts to shrink public services vs 77% against . Central to the Tory manifesto that.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/14/alastair-campbell-launches-attack-on-snp-and-boris-johnson

Finger on the pulse stuff from someone who genuinely should know better.

• Like 1
    Posted

This is just glorious from the Herald.

More big 'UK' infrastructure projects which will not count as English regional spending, but will be charged to devolved government accounts because of the 'benefits' it brings to their home nations, as the Herald notes.

https://archive.is/QzLyr

George the builder: Osborne to give green light to biggest rail investment since Victorian age with support for HS3 and Crossrail 2

GEORGE Osborne will tomorrow vow to make Britain “fit for the future” by giving the green light to the HS3 high speed rail project, which will cut journey times for Scots travelling across northern England, and Crossrail 2 in London.

Aye, these two routes are a popular commute at my work.

Tomorrow: New Tokyo Bullet Train to Reduce Journey Times for Scots

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Will there be any investment for Scots travelling in er Scotland in the budget tomorrow?  Doubtful.

Posted
    16 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Will there be any investment for Scots travelling in er Scotland in the budget tomorrow?  Doubtful.

I'm quite happy with what I already see in Scotland. Massive road building projects actually underway which will bring genuine benefits to everyone across the central belt. I appreciate that other parts of our country need road building projects, but it's a start at least.

Posted
    1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm quite happy with what I already see in Scotland. Massive road building projects actually underway which will bring genuine benefits to everyone across the central belt. I appreciate that other parts of our country need road building projects, but it's a start at least.

Fair enough. But all this is being funded from Scotland's consequentials not from the National budget. I can think of a few National projects. 

How about starting HS2 from Glasgow to Edinburgh to Newcastle?  or completion of electrification of the East coast main line from Edinburgh to Aberdeen? 

What about a motorway from Edinburgh to Newcastle?  

These projects would bring some much needed jobs to NE England. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Fair enough. But all this is being funded from Scotland's consequentials not from the National budget. I can think of a few National projects. 

How about starting HS2 from Glasgow to Edinburgh to Newcastle?  or completion of electrification of the East coast main line from Edinburgh to Aberdeen? 

What about a motorway from Edinburgh to Newcastle?  

These projects would bring some much needed jobs to NE England. 

I know where you are coming from, but I'd rather see local(ish) transport projects across Scotland than vanity projects. High speed rail is all fine and well but does it really help the average citizen on a day to day basis? The economic cost of people and goods sat in traffic jams is absolutely massive. Anything which can be done to reduce congestion should be welcomed, this means investment in roads, public transport where this is efficient and cost effective and promoting a culture of working from home or working/travelling outside peak hours. 

And yes, I completely agree that projects which are being charged to Scotland should be at least partly physically built into Scotland :) 

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    Posted

Perhaps I was too hasty in slagging off Gideons infrastructure investment being England centric.

The BBC says in its first sentence on its website about it, that it is a UK infrastructure budget so the three smaller nations can expect a fair share too.

Posted
    1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Perhaps I was too hasty in slagging off Gideons infrastructure investment being England centric.

The BBC says in its first sentence on its website about it, that it is a UK infrastructure budget so the three smaller nations can expect a fair share too.

Does anyone believe the towel folder, or the BBC for that matter? Let's see the small print first before getting too excited.

Remember, the height of your Barnet consequentials can go down as well as up

Posted

This was the paper I grew up with. The Glasgow Herald.

How low it has sunk. Continues to cut its own wrists in its irrational hatred. Sales in freefall, yet still it persits, even though nobody's listening any more.

Posted

Alex Salmond's final speech from Holyrood.

Good chance he'll be back though. After all, he's down in London trying to lose his job there.

Upload by WoS.

Posted
    7 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

This was the paper I grew up with. The Glasgow Herald.

How low it has sunk. Continues to cut its own wrists in its irrational hatred. Sales in freefall, yet still it persits, even though nobody's listening any more.

Words fail me, especially since this is the good old Glasgow Herald. What are they trying to achieve with this, or are they simply thick? Surely their target audience would have reacted better to a "Evil SNP hammer the middle class" headline? 

Posted
    15 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I missed the budget. What infrastructure projects in Scotland have been given the green light? 

None that I saw, but further tax cuts for the better off funded by big cuts to welfare for disabled people the centrepiece.

Also primary and secondary eduction in England to be privatised (gulp).

George also announced that growth is slowing / the economy is faltering under his watch, and once again he's missed his own targets for deficit reduction.

Good news for low income families struggling to make ends meet was that ISAs are going up to £20,000 tax free.

A spokesman for #BetterTogether said it had 'unfairness at its very core', but that Scotland should shut up and accept it.

EDIT.

Check out this. Typical whinging nationalist:

kezia.jpg

Who voted for this budget in September 2014.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Disgraceful. The Duke of Buccleuch is really struggling right now. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    28 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Disgraceful. The Duke of Buccleuch is really struggling right now. 

It'll still be reported in the Herald tomorrow as "Evil bad SNP give tax cut to the wealthy". Alongside the headline of "Cowdenbeath qualify for the Champions League" and "Rangers fans start petition to make Neil Lennon a honorary superfan". 

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 1
    Posted

If true, it would appear Westminster in general and G Osbourne in particular are playing a dangerous game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteWishart/status/710179934480830464?lang=en-gb

Pete Wishart 

@PeteWishart

Buried in the budget there seems to be a pledge to further curtail Scots MPs voting rights by applying EVEL to treasury issues. Checking out

12:04 p.m. - 16 Mar 2016

SNP/SNP, Remain

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

quotes from the above article...

"the biggest middle-class giveaway for 30 years"

Well at least they are being somewhat honest about what is actually happening. Now how the Tories can square that with a massive deficit and cutting benefits and services astounds me.

"workers who are trapped in a higher band of income tax"

Trapped? How does that work exactly? Are they not allowed to change their hours, to request they be paid less, are they somehow unable to earn less than 42K+ a year no matter how hard they try?

I'll be honest here, I'm lucky enough to earn a good wage, somewhere in the boundary between the standard and higher rate of taxes. I've paid higher rate tax in recent years, I'm not sure about this year, I suppose I really should know. I'll be surprised if I'm paying the higher rate his coming tax year or afterwards given the changes. Despite not having had a pay rise for a number of years frankly I don't need a tax cut. In fact I don't really want a tax cut, not when everything around me is being cut to the bones and the poorer end of society is taking the brunt of 'austerity'.

Edit: Just checked with a tax calculator, I should still be paying a small amount of tax at the 40% rate this year (2015/16). Next year (2016/17) I still will be but I'll be approx £140 better off. It's not got the option for 2017/18 yet.

Edited by Ravelin