Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
    20 minutes ago, davehsug said:

In fairness, The BBC did say that audiences would be "balanced" between in and out once the referendum was finally called. That's got to mean a  Scottish audience is not going to reflect the views of the country. Seems a bit over pc to me, but I suppose thete are rules abou it?

Certainly didn't reflect the views of Scotland and you'd struggle to believe Dundee, i.e. the biggest Yes city in Scotland.

Were there even any Dundonian accents?

And isn't it amazing that two failed Scottish Labour candidates somehow ended up in the audience and were given airtime as 'ordinary dundonians'? What are the chances of that!

It's not as if both are not well enough known, particularly this one:

wiles5.jpg

http://wingsoverscotland.com/what-are-the-odds/

BBC is a joke. Can stick its reluctant 'Scottish Six' where the sun doesn't shine. Hope the Tories flog the whole thing off.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Well that explains a lot. The reason it looked like a planted audience was because it was. If the BBC thinks that jerrmandering a QT audience is going to help Unionism they are in for a shock in May.

My main concern is that I'm up in Dundee at the Easter and I'm worried the locals have all been replaced. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    50 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

BBC is a joke. Can stick its reluctant 'Scottish Six' where the sun doesn't shine. 

LOL. Perfect timing.

Times seems chuffed that people don't want a BBC Scottish Six really.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4710658.ece?shareToken=e2f33829478b700d479b9ae9afa6005f

Must mean we're unionists!

Erm, nope.

And do people really think the SNP's support for a more autonomous BBC Scotland + Scottish six is genuine? Anyone who does is very naive. The real reasons for them pushing this are unfolding, i.e. the screeching and wailing at the very idea of anything Scottish from the unionist side... the heavy resistance to the any autonomy.... the dragging feet reluctance about a Scottish Six... and if it's finally made, the crappy low budget shortbread style of it... All before the eyes of the Scottish electorate.

Yes, that's the reason the SNP are pushing it. They're no fans of the BBC.

Posted
    18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well that explains a lot. The reason it looked like a planted audience was because it was. If the BBC thinks that jerrmandering a QT audience is going to help Unionism they are in for a shock in May.

Yes, but they don't seem to understand this. Nor do they seem to appreciate that trying to convince people being part of the UK had bankrupted Scotland is a good reason for Scotland staying in the UK. Nor do they seem to get that struggling to hide their glee at low oil prices and associated job losses isn't winning people over...

Quite the opposite.

I've said this before... When the union flag is finally lowered in Scotland, it will be the (strong) unionists that brought it down, not the nationalists (QT last night was just another little example of this). However, I doubt the former will ever understand that.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The BBC just don't   'GET IT'.   When are they finally going to realise that when Scotland gets mad it just gets even?    I for one will thoroughly enjoy watching them licking their self inflicted wounds!  

Posted
    15 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

The BBC just don't   'GET IT'.   When are they finally going to realise that when Scotland gets mad it just gets even?    I for one will thoroughly enjoy watching them licking their self inflicted wounds!  

Aye, I mean when even David Coburn is holding his head in his hands...

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

He, he, I rarely watch QT these days but if I'd remembered it was on and noticed it was from Dundee I'd probably have watched it. Looks like I saved myself from some shouting at the telly by missing it.

In other news....

A Holyrood inquiry into the closure of the Forth Road Bridge has concluded that the fault which caused it could not have been foreseen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35779333

I wonder if all the Labour/LibDem/Tory politicians that were desperately trying to blame the bridge closure on the SNP government will apologise now? Nah, never happen. In fact they go on the attack...

Scottish Labour called for ministers to offer compensation to businesses affected by the closure.

A spokesman said: "It's clear that cuts from the SNP government to the repairs budget saw vital work cancelled on the Forth Road Bridge which could have avoided the chaos we saw over Christmas."

Ehm, my understanding, which I'll admit could be wrong, was that if the decision had been made to replace the links that eventually failed they'd still have had to close the bridge to do the work. So whether it was done as a precautionary exercise or as an emergency repair the 'chaos' would still have been encountered. The only thing you could say was that people would have had time to prepare (but I'll bet it would have been a longer closure for a precautionary repair as there wouldn't have been the same 'incentive' to finish it). The government/authorities took a calculated gamble in leaving the work until after the new bridge was completed to try to avoid any 'chaos'.

Posted
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

From what I have seen on social media the BBCs propoganda has back fired massively. 

Another couple of percentage points for the SNP on the back of this. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, I mean when even David Coburn is holding his head in his hands...

That's a cold day in hell??!!

I don't watch the likes of QT any more but it's certainly been a talking point on here and even more so on Facebook. I'm usually quite happy to accept that I'll see the BBC as biased no matter what they do so I tend to ignore the slavvering which comes from some corners of the independence movement about them, but this is beyond that point. You've got to wonder if they are biased from the top down or just shamefully bad at getting infiltrated? 

Posted

Does Dimbelby choose audience member to speak himself or does the Director guide him through his earpiece?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    43 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Does Dimbelby choose audience member to speak himself or does the Director guide him through his earpiece?

All audience applicants and their questions are well vetted  and pre-selected as far as I can see?   Dimblebum probably in on the selections though.  Controller will probably guide Dimblebum through the list.  Very easy to pick an audience from the info' supplied I should think if you want it to comply with  a certain agenda?

The only thing the questionnaire doesn't ask, is the colour of your underpants!........Go figure!

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5vyK2GwYrdQGFvCJyKNfZhn/join-the-question-time-audience

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted

What's the bets this will be much better than any Fitba & Murdur at Six the BBC can chuck together on a shoestring to try and pacify the whinging jocks?

http://newsonnews.com/story/050316-2597

STV to Launch Digital News Service

The ITV licence holder, STV, is to begin a digital service next month to take on the BBC’s potential new Scotland news service.

The new STV service allows users of the completely overhauled STV News app to access a full spectrum of international, UK and Scottish news for the first time.

Rob Woodward, the chief executive of STV said: “The service will enable us to cover an editorial narrative we never have been able to before – the provision of international news and UK-wide news from a Scottish perspective, Since the independence referendum there has been a rise in the awareness of Scotland as a nation and there is an appetite to understand its positioning in a UK and global perspective.”

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Yougov poll out. Looks identical to the last one, i.e. zero change.

On average SNP in the mid 50's, Lab 20% at most, Tories 15% as they got in the GE.

Posted
    4 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Yougov poll out. Looks identical to the last one, i.e. zero change.

On average SNP in the mid 50's, Lab 20% at most, Tories 15% as they got in the GE.

Interesting...

Roger Mexico just pointed out on Scotgoespop that Yougov have changed their methodology. They seem to be using a correction applied to UK polls to fix the problem that was seen in these for the May 15 GE.

Not sure why they'd do that for Scotland; polls couldn't have been more accurate in Scotland averaged out. All parties got exactly as predicted apart from Labour who got 24% instead of 25%.

Anyway, this would have the effect of boosting the Tories a little, and hitting Labour the same. This might explain why Yougov are the only pollster in Scotland to show these two more neck and neck for second place. Latest Yougov has them on 19% each.

In my PoP I'm getting the Tories bobbing 1%+/- around the 15% level they got in the GE by contrast.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I can foresee this being a relatively quiet run up to the May election tbh... It's a foregone conclusion. Yawn.

Anyway.... Thanks for your responses re possible dissertation choices :)

I think i am pretty much there. I need to make sure I get the right dissertation supervisor but bar that i'm pretty set.

Something along the lines of (exact wording is up in the air):

'How did Scotland become one of the most politically engaged countries in the World?' 

I can provide evidence for it being highly engaged (hopefully turnout in May will be high, SS - are predictions for turnout good?) 

by highlighting referndum turnout, 2015 GE turnout experiencing a bounce on 2010 etc. 

The main bulk if the piece will be (on what i want to talk about) covering WHY this has happened.... Ie devolution, social media, newspaper coverage, TV coverage etc etc etc. 

So cheers for the guidance as it helped me narrow down what i'm wanting to cover. What i'm interested in etc...

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

hopefully turnout in May will be high, SS - are predictions for turnout good

Well, polls suggest much higher than usual for Holyrood elections and possibly as high as the general election.

The fact that it seems so set that SNP will win might alter things, but that could make either side apathetic so balance it out!

• Like 1
    Posted

Relevant here too. ICM poll predicts Scotland would vote to leave the UK if the UK votes to leave the EU. That makes 3.

A smaller margin of 53% for ICM compared to 54% and 56% for Panelbase and MORI respectively.

49% Yes / 43% No for Scottish indy in the event of a Engxit (or maybe WEngxit).

However, ICM were spectacularly off for the May 2015 GE in Scotland, consistently predicting 43(-7)% SNP and 7(+5)% UKIP for example.

Which likely explains the result being narrower. Will be interesting to see tables and whether they have Holyrood VI data / whether ICM have made changes after their disastrous May 15 GE.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    On 12/03/2016 at 6:42 PM, scottish skier said:

Well, polls suggest much higher than usual for Holyrood elections and possibly as high as the general election.

The fact that it seems so set that SNP will win might alter things, but that could make either side apathetic so balance it out!

Going by our branch, SNP effort will cover every street. Doesn't automatically turn it into votes but it won't be for want of trying. SNP are committed SLAB are? Well, where are they?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

^^^ Puts this Scottish voter off his food, never mind the Tories.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

^^^ Puts this Scottish voter off his food, never mind the Tories.

I have no explanation for this but I am more out off by David Cameron than by Gideon. Everything's relative though!