Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    9 minutes ago, knocker said:

I developed a headache reading this.

The link isn't working for me :( 

Posted

From the latest Yougov UK Poll. Scottish subsample.

Voting intention matched well with full Scottish polls, so should give a decent picture of opinion.

Thinking about the current debate over Britain’s membership of the European Union and the referendum, how much do you trust the statements and claims made by the following people?

Jeremy Corbyn
    26% Trust
    55% Do not trust
    =-29% NET

Boris Johnson
    22% Trust
    63% Do not trust
    =-41% NET

David Cameron
    23% Trust
    65% Do not trust
    =-42% NET

Micheal Gove
    13% Trust
    56% Do not trust
    =-43% NET

Iain Duncan Smith
    14% Trust
    64% Do not trust
    =-50% NET

Theresa May
    15% Trust
    65% Do not trust
    =-50% NET

Nigel Farage
    13% Trust
    73% Do not trust
    =-60% NET

George Galloway
    6% Trust
    74% Do not trust
    =-68% NET

---

How safe or risky do you think it would be for Britain to leave the European Union?
    57% Risky
    29% Safe

Do you think Britain would be economically better or worse off if we left the European Union, or would it make no difference?
    40% Worse off
    19% No real difference
    19% Worse off
    =-21% NET

Do you think it would have a good or bad effect on British jobs if we left the European Union, or would it make no difference?
    38% Bad for jobs
    23% Would make no difference
    13% Good for jobs
    =-25% NET

Do you think the prices of goods and services would go up
    faster or slower if Britain left the European Union, or would it
    make no difference?
    29% Up faster
    30% No difference
    10% Up more slowly

=-19% NET

Bozo not exactly a popular figure; as mistrusted as Cameron. Ooch for Galloway; that must hurt when you score worse than Farage in Scotland.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

A question...

Anyone seen or heard anything about the EUref other than in the news?

I mean flyers, people knocking doors, flags appearing in gardens, stickers on cars, posters in windows?

I haven't seen a thing yet the vote is June. It's really like Scotland isn't remotely interested.

Posted

Shocker. Never expected this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35672158

George Osborne warns of further spending cuts in Budget

Chancellor George Osborne has warned he may have to make fresh cuts to public spending in next month's budget.

Mr Osborne told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg that...[his own economic incompetence and resulting]...slower growth meant "we may need to undertake further reductions".

He slowed the pace of cuts in the last spending review, but said more savings were required as figures showed the UK economy was smaller than expected.

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

A question...

Anyone seen or heard anything about the EUref other than in the news?

I mean flyers, people knocking doors, flags appearing in gardens, stickers on cars, posters in windows?

I haven't seen a thing yet the vote is June. It's really like Scotland isn't remotely interested.

Not only that @scottish skier is anyone even talking about it? By this stage before our ref there was a huge amount going on, people were very engaged. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

To be fair, it's not long announced for definite, by this time in the indy ref we'd had weeks, no months, of notice. 

That said, no one is really talking about it. We had an SNP constituency branch meeting on Monday and it was discussed there for a bit. Outcome was we decided to largely ignore it until after the Scottish elections if possible. If any European elections leaflets come though from head office they'll get delivered along with the Scottish election ones, no special effort will be made at this stage. If electors mention it whilst canvassing well not ignore the subject,  but we won't be raising it. 

Posted

Reading some of the arguments for leaving the EU in the Europe thread, I think indy supporters should give up any hope of Scotland getting independence by that route.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Dear god.

A perfect example of why Labour are finished in Scotland.

#toowee #toostupid

And what is it with solid unionists and 'other countries are crap / Britain is superior'?

Imagine they were in charge and we sent a trade delegation to Iceland. Presumably they'd just laugh and sneer at how crap everything in Iceland was, telling the Icelandic hosts that everything was better / superior in the UK?

They'd be like 'LOL are they your TV channels! They're sh**e. We have the BBC. Best in the world.' 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
    6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Anyone know who Tim Farron is?

Don't normally partake here...

Just watched the BBC News 10:00.

He was in Scotland telling about 20 LDs that they must vote to Remain in Europe, for their safety, security and standard of living.

What is going on with the BBC that they give this person a  45 second spot in the prime news broadcast of the day.

PS Not mentioned on Sky or ITV  News earlier.

I would ring the BBC to find out.       He is obviously someone of real import.

• Like 4
    Posted
    13 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

What is going on with the BBC that they give this person a  45 second spot in the prime news broadcast of the day.

PS Not mentioned on Sky or ITV  News earlier.

I would ring the BBC to find out.       He is obviously someone of real import.

Fairly standard for the BBC.

Lib Dems are all but officially a minor party in Scotland (1.7% of MPs and 3.9% of MSPs) yet they still get major party coverage. BBC Scotland website covered their conference in depth with live broadcasting of the sessions and speeches.

It's because they are pro-UK basically.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the pro-indy greens overtake the Libs in May's elections. Polls suggest this could well happen; they were only 1% behind last time in terms of vote share. Will they then get the same amount of coverage by the BBC? I suspect not!

• Like 2
    Posted
    On 27 February 2016 at 4:08 PM, scottish skier said:

Anyone know who Tim Farron is?

I've just read an article about his speech, he's fallen into a trap which Labour have been in recently with their "let's call people names" line. Trying to get people to switch votes from the SNP by calling them "ugly nationalists" won't work any more than calling people foolish will work for Labour. He's also full of nonsense about the EU ref, saying the SNP are only interested in it as a cause to force another independence ref. When I saw the link to the article about Farron's speech there were three links above it about Nicola Sturgeon's speech in London today in which she will argue the case for staying in the EU. This vastly undermined Farron's words, and made me think "this guy is talking mince". He would do better staying out of it all. I am fairly clued up on politicians, defo not an expert but probs more clued up than the average person. And I still would have struggled to work out who Farron was if his photo had appeared out of context. Faceless and a farce, what next for the LibDems??? 

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Faceless and a farce, what next for the LibDems??? 

Faceless, Farce & Farron, is that the LibDems 'front bench'?

Now I know Nicola and the SNP are smart cookies but if they can engineer another Indy Ref by campaigning for 'In' and causing England to vote 'Out' whilst Scotland votes 'In' then they ain't just smart, they are miracle workers. I mean. how do you get the balance right? Campaign for 'In', just not too hard in case you persuade enough people in England and 'blow it'?

Why can't the likes of Farron not just accept that ideologically the SNP will campaign for 'In' irrespective of any knock on effect in respect to a second indy ref?

Posted
    3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Faceless, Farce & Farron, is that the LibDems 'front bench'?

Now I know Nicola and the SNP are smart cookies but if they can engineer another Indy Ref by campaigning for 'In' and causing England to vote 'Out' whilst Scotland votes 'In' then they ain't just smart, they are miracle workers. I mean. how do you get the balance right? Campaign for 'In', just not too hard in case you persuade enough people in England and 'blow it'?

Why can't the likes of Farron not just accept that ideologically the SNP will campaign for 'In' irrespective of any knock on effect in respect to a second indy ref?

Nicola Sturgeon wants Independence but is clear how she wants it to come about and she also wants the best long term prospects for the Scottish economy.

The best solution for Scotland is the UK stays in the EU and then Scotland becomes independent later with both nations being part of the EU.

This would be a much smoother transition, Sturgeon is no fool and certainly doesn't want a load of economic chaos. With the UK still in the EU then issues surrounding currency will be less of a problem, its easier for the EU to accept Scotland continuing to share the pound with the rest of the UK if both countries are in the EU but this would be a big problem if a country within the EU wants to share the same currency  and central bank as a member outside.

Posted
    2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Nicola Sturgeon wants Independence but is clear how she wants it to come about and she also wants the best long term prospects for the Scottish economy.

The best solution for Scotland is the UK stays in the EU and then Scotland becomes independent later with both nations being part of the EU.

This would be a much smoother transition, Sturgeon is no fool and certainly doesn't want a load of economic chaos. With the UK still in the EU then issues surrounding currency will be less of a problem, its easier for the EU to accept Scotland continuing to share the pound with the rest of the UK if both countries are in the EU but this would be a big problem if a country within the EU wants to share the same currency  and central bank as a member outside.

I would hope if there is a 2nd ref that the whole "keep the pound" nonsense doesn't come back again. What it needs to be is a new currency and that's that. I could well be wrong but for me that's one of the things which lost the 1st ref. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I would hope if there is a 2nd ref that the whole "keep the pound" nonsense doesn't come back again. What it needs to be is a new currency and that's that. I could well be wrong but for me that's one of the things which lost the 1st ref. 

I'd agree with that. Means no debt.

Only way you can help pay sterling debt is if you have access to sterling printing machines. Otherwise, Scotland could e.g. pay hard currency ($almonds, dollars, Yen, whatever) to London but the Treasury could just bank that and print Scotland's share out of thin air. Would be a nice wee earner for them.

It'd why the SNP proposed currency share; to be diplomatic. If the Bank of England stops being Scotland's central bank, Scotland won't being paying any UK debt.

Posted
    24 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I'd agree with that. Means no debt.

Only way you can help pay sterling debt is if you have access to sterling printing machines. Otherwise, Scotland could e.g. pay hard currency ($almonds, dollars, Yen, whatever) to London but the Treasury could just bank that and print Scotland's share out of thin air. Would be a nice wee earner for them.

It'd why the SNP proposed currency share; to be diplomatic. If the Bank of England stops being Scotland's central bank, Scotland won't being paying any UK debt.

I had typed the part about "no debt" but deleted it in case a passing unionist choked on their keyboard. 

• Like 2
    Posted

(Please see attached Tory election leaflet which was delivered by an ex-public sector worker called MrPostman) Welcome to the world of policy free politics. Welcome to the world of not explicitly putting your party's name on the front of the leaflet. Welcome to ambition free politics where being the opposition is the prize to go for. Welcome to the world of unionists who say "the SNP must stop obsessing about a 2nd referendum". Welcome to semi-faceless politics, version 2 (after the LibDem's go at it earlier) or is it welcome to the Cult of the Lady Ruth? I am not even sure I can vote for Ruth at any point given where I live. Are their local candidates so bad that we can't have a wee bit about them? Welcome to version 2 of "let's suggest voters are thick", I think most of us know we get 2 votes for Holyrood. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2f56f04b5b8cbcca1f1ec9image.thumb.jpeg.37ccd058ba134be9e48b8f5image.thumb.jpeg.880936b5a6fa73f298754f9

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    Posted

@CatchMyDrift

If the Indy Ref was the 'first referendum' surely that makes the EU Ref the 'Second referendum' (in recent years). Does that mean the Scottish Tories are opposed to holding the EU ref even although it was a Tory government that called it?

Of course they mean a second Indy Ref and really that's all the leaflet is about. Oh my, my, that's the laziest election leaflet I think I've ever seen. Not only does it say nothing about your local candidate, it doesn't even list a single policy that the Scottish Tories stand for, other than opposing the SNP/Indy Ref 2. Aimed purely at the 'core No voters', which, to be fair, I suppose if they picked them all up they'd get their best result in years.

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 1
    Posted

http://archive.is/FSdMt

Bookies slash odds on Scottish independence as Nicola Sturgeon warns Brexit would trigger another indyref

IT is now just a 2/1 chance that another referendum will be held on Scottish independence in the next four years, as the chances of the UK leaving the EU narrow.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

(Please see attached Tory election leaflet which was delivered by an ex-public sector worker called MrPostman)

Yeah I used that to light the fire last night. I did notice the lack of Tory branding. Imagine being that ashamed of your party.

Hardcore unionist is ~17% (people polled who say they'd join the union today if Scotland was independent) so if Ruth could harness that she could get a few more seats.

Edited by scottish skier