Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    2 minutes ago, doctormog said:

I think he probably realises on past experience that the only way for him to win (or at least not lose) support is for him to keep quiet!

If only the UKIP R Soles could keep quiet down here!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

No surprise that the BBC and other outlets are reporting Neil Findlay's "lying whore" outburst at Nicola Sturgeon in parliament as a case where he shouted "liar"

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fmqs-neil-findlay-identified-as-calling-sturgeon-liar-1-4028123

Pretty shabby reporting as not many folk would mind it if he had simply shouted "liar", but what kind of a man calls a woman a whore? 

Posted
    2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

No surprise that the BBC and other outlets are reporting Neil Findlay's "lying whore" outburst at Nicola Sturgeon in parliament as a case where he shouted "liar"

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fmqs-neil-findlay-identified-as-calling-sturgeon-liar-1-4028123

Pretty shabby reporting as not many folk would mind it if he had simply shouted "liar", but what kind of a man calls a woman a whore? 

A 'Labour hard man'. 'Wee lassie in a tin helmet' was of course slightly milder, but on the same theme.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    36 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

A 'Labour hard man'. 'Wee lassie in a tin helmet' was of course slightly milder, but on the same theme.

It's the reporting of it which is the worst part, does it need to be so sanitised? I did like "the look" Nicola gave him, it was the look your mum gave you when you were little and did something way out of line. 

• Like 1
    Posted

Finlay's outburst and subsequent half hearted grudging 'apology' conveniently airbrushed from all BBC and STV news last night. Thank goodness for gravity waves.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Wait...WHAT? He actually said lying whore? Or am I missing a joke here?

I'm genuinely astounded if that's true. I always took Neil Findlay to be one of the better Labour MSPs, but the man is absolutely vile if that's truly what he said.

Posted

Was listening to Radio Scotland the other day and the dying newspaper industry was once again the topic. The whole 'but that's terrible for democracy because people need to be properly informed' panicked stuff came up as usual. You could feel the wide-eyed fear.

The reason people are not buying papers is they don't represent people and just publish over the top biased rubbish. Why on earth would anyone pay to be told they are an economically illiterate anti-English Nazi every day. Half the papers should support independence, not one daily and one Sunday.

Anyway, rumors going around about the Johnston press and the fate of the once mighty Scotsman. It may vanish sooner than people think. The Daily Herald is beyond parody now too and I don't know how long it can go on like that.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    3 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

I'm genuinely astounded if that's true. I always took Neil Findlay to be one of the better Labour MSPs, but the man is absolutely vile if that's truly what he said.

From various sources I believe he actually said, (allegedly) "Whore! Lying Whore!" 

No UKOK dooking stool for Findlay, not thrown out of the party, just a quit let off after a very smarmy  half mast crock of a sorry. 

It should also be remembered, and I listened to FMQs live on Radio Shortbread, before FMQs started there was a very gracious welcome by the Presiding Officer to Findland's ambassador and that there was a also party of schoolchildren present in the visitor's gallery. Not only did Findlay insult Nicola Sturgeon personally, he insulted the office of First Minster, the whole of the Scottish Parliament and all of Scotland with his potty mouthed outburst.

I am not easily shocked or offended and am well used to 'industrial' language but that performance, orchestrated and cheered on by the rest of his side of Chamber was a terrible advertisment for Scotland. Dugdale should have hung, drawn and quartered him but didn't even bother to turn up when he groveled to the Presiding Officer later after he had been identified as the main culprit.

The man is a disgrace and I hope there is some later introspection within SLAB and he is removed of his cosy second place on the Regional List.

First edit: S/p

2nd Edit: BBC link to Findlay's apology, scroll down the page a bit to see the actual recording. I understand that the Presiding Officer has since issued a Written Warning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35561124

Edited by frogesque
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Was listening to Radio Scotland the other day and the dying newspaper industry was once again the topic. The whole 'but that's terrible for democracy because people need to be properly informed' panicked stuff came up as usual. You could feel the wide-eyed fear.

The reason people are not buying papers is they don't represent people and just publish over the top biased rubbish. Why on earth would anyone pay to be told they are an economically illiterate anti-English Nazi every day. Half the papers should support independence, not one daily and one Sunday.

Anyway, rumors going around about the Johnston press and the fate of the once mighty Scotsman. It may vanish sooner than people think. The Daily Herald is beyond parody now too and I don't know how long it can go on like that.

Seems it's the Independent that's gone.

Posted
    8 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

No, he didn't. He said liar two or three times which is unparliamentary language. You can watch/listen to the clip on this clip 

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, doctormog said:

No, he didn't. He said liar two or three times which is unparliamentary language. You can watch/listen to the clip on this clip 

Well that's something of a relief!

He should have just owned up in the first place though.

• Like 1
    Posted

OK, I have re watched carefully the recording of FMQs and the SLAB bench outburst. Seems fairly clear "Liar!" was exclaimed a minimum of three times. Not entirely convinced it was just Findlay though.

The word "Whore" does not appear to have been uttered and I unreservedly apologise if  I helped to promote that version. 

Regarding Findlay's retraction, my comment remains.

Posted

Really enjoyed Mhairi Black's undeniable logic and the background to Labour's 'Union Tax'.  Class:

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/mhairi-black-no-wonder-labours-tax-plan-is-so-badly-thought-out.13694

• Like 1
    Posted

Aye, 'Tory Austerity Tax', 'BetterTogether Tax', 'Trident Tax'... 'Union Tax'; that's exactly what's proposed.

How can it be anything else when Labour are saying that's the price we need to pay to be in the union?

I'm personally happy to pay more tax, but to say I've got to pay that - and those on the lowest incomes have to cough up as well - to mitigate London Tory austerity , fund trident, H2S etc which Scots didn't vote for is just nuts.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Scottish budget is squeezed to hell too due to Tory austerity. However, Scottish NHS doing ok and remains the best in the UK for user satisfaction +  many other stats.

A key thing you'll never hear is the SNP attacking the NHS, calling doctors lazy and money grabbing etc. Never; instead praise and credit as is due. It's only the Tories, Lab and Lib that attack the Scottish NHS, calling its staff failures etc.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Vote Labour you stupid idiot Scots.

This really does sum up Labour's mindset these days. Surreal.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Just feel the bitter together love and sense of Lordly entitlement. Meanwhile, we all know what the big boys in London Labour think of their ex northern branch office children.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Hey people, hope you are all well. Been busy with uni and other stuff lately so hence lack of posts. Will re-ignite my interest in this thread as May draws nearer...

I'm posting to ask a favour of sorts. I'm tasked with constructing a report which analyses the 'growth and use of social media in Scotland' which would strongly be linked to the recent referndum and i need to pick two blog sites and two twitter users in order to illustrate this...

This question is to anyone but i'm thinking SS et al (those who post from wings etc) may well be able to assist me...

So which blog sites and twitter users would be good?

Wings of Scotland? Scot goes pop (or something similar).

i have no idea which twitter users would illustrate this. 

Anyway, any reply would be appreciated :)

Posted

SW S:

Try Wee Ginger Dug and Grousebeater for a very pro Indy view. Any pro Union sites I've seen seem to be on the more extreme end. Some are very nasty and I wouldn't name them.

Complex legal opinion can also be found on Lallands Peat Worrier.

Blogs and message boards as well as Facebook are setting the agenda now. Traditional mainstream news (MSM) print and TV lag and have their own bias and agenda.

A good weather Site on FB is Windy Wilson, both funny and pretty accurate for the shorter term but def not for children. If you are easily offended and/or don't like industrial language don't go there. You have been warned.

Posted
    2 minutes ago, frogesque said:

SW S:

Try Wee Ginger Dug and Grousebeater for a very pro Indy view. Any pro Union sites I've seen seem to be on the more extreme end. Some are very nasty and I wouldn't name them.

Complex legal opinion can also be found on Lallands Peat Worrier.

Blogs and message boards as well as Facebook are setting the agenda now. Traditional mainstream news (MSM) print and TV lag and have their own bias and agenda.

A good weather Site on FB is Windy Wilson, both funny and pretty accurate for the shorter term but def not for children. If you are easily offended and/or don't like industrial language don't go there. You have been warned.

Thanks very much :) 

i'll have a look into those...

Ideally, i will do 1 pro indy, 1 pro union for both. Probably noting that the pro-union started off with more followers or traffic with that falling or stagnating and the pro-indy site and user growing significantly...

cheers for the suggestions! 

Posted
    9 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Hey people, hope you are all well. Been busy with uni and other stuff lately so hence lack of posts. Will re-ignite my interest in this thread as May draws nearer...

I'm posting to ask a favour of sorts. I'm tasked with constructing a report which analyses the 'growth and use of social media in Scotland' which would strongly be linked to the recent referndum and i need to pick two blog sites and two twitter users in order to illustrate this...

This question is to anyone but i'm thinking SS et al (those who post from wings etc) may well be able to assist me...

So which blog sites and twitter users would be good?

Wings of Scotland? Scot goes pop (or something similar).

i have no idea which twitter users would illustrate this. 

Anyway, any reply would be appreciated :)

What a choice you have! Too many really.

Wings is an obvious candidate, but almost too obvious. That's like the default example that everybody would pick.

Scotgoespop is a good one; it filled the vacuum of the lack of a site for Scottish poll reporting and discussion.

Bella Caledonia is another prime candidate. I also like Munguin's republic for it's cheeky graphics and dry sense of humor.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/

http://munguinsrepublic.blogspot.co.uk/

Wee Ginger Dug is good blog too:

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

Or you have Derek Bateman who gave up working for the BBC to campaign for independence:

http://derekbateman.co.uk/

---

For twitter you have a huge choice. Why not something funny like Angry Salmond or the Darling Parody?

For average but now engaged person, what about this guy who I find funny / clever / cutting?

You could go to wings twitter feed and pick out someone he re-tweets that seems a good example of the engaged electorate. Loads of choice.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

What a choice you have! Too many really.

Wings is an obvious candidate, but almost too obvious. That's like the default example that everybody would pick.

Scotgoespop is a good one; it filled the vacuum of the lack of a site for Scottish poll reporting and discussion.

Bella Caledonia is another prime candidate. I also like Munguin's republic for it's cheeky graphics and dry sense of humor.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/

http://munguinsrepublic.blogspot.co.uk/

Wee Ginger Dug is good blog too:

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

Or you have Derek Bateman who gave up working for the BBC to campaign for independence:

http://derekbateman.co.uk/

---

For twitter you have a huge choice. Why not something funny like Angry Salmond or the Darling Parody?

For average but now engaged person, what about this guy who I find funny / clever / cutting?

You could go to wings twitter feed and pick out someone he re-tweets that seems a good example of the engaged electorate. Loads of choice.

Great post as usual, thanks for your response! :)

Posted
    On 2/13/2016 at 7:03 PM, scottish skier said:

Baron Foulkes of Cumnock accuses over half the electorate of living under illusion with a lack of connection the real world! Save us from our ignorance, great Baron for it's impossible that we simply disagree with you!