Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Single field produces 100-200% of Scotland's domestic gas requirements alone for the next few decades, helping keep Scotland as a massive net energy exporter.

This is a bad thing right? Something we should let the neighbors control?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35516144

Total turns on gas from west of Shetland Laggan and Tormore fields

Production has begun at a new gas plant that will bring the vast reserves west of Shetland to the mainland.

Incidentally, I was involved in the pipeline commissioning for this; did a de-watering post pressure test study for TOTAL.

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    21 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Single field produces 100-200% of Scotland's domestic gas requirements alone for the next few decades, helping keep Scotland as a massive net energy exporter.

This is a bad thing right? Something we should let the neighbors control?

Regrettably Yes. That's what No voters wanted.  Thought we were too wee and too stupid to manage our own affairs. 

Posted

More gas, more oil, renewables and some of the world's best water. Not to mention a skilled and well educated workforce.

Who's to stop us but ourselves?

SNP Constituency, SNP Regional Party

Posted
    38 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Loon voters? That's a bit sad really.

I have to say I agree, unless used in context and only if appropriate, i.e. someone is actually a loon*, i.e. a wee bit over the top / off their rocker in the 'behave yourself man / calm down' sense.

There are definitely a few 'loon' No voters. But then there's some Yes ones too. See e.g. twitter. I'm just glad all the far right nutters don't support Yes!

I doubt either side will ever be able to convince the other's 'loons' sufficient to change the latter's mind on the subject! :)

---

Personally, I can see how some people find it unfathomable how people would vote for the UK. It's like my wife suddenly announcing to her family that she was no longer French, but German and wanted the French parliament closed + all French taxes handed over to Berlin. People would think she'd lost the plot.

Likewise I see e.g. knuckle dragging Rangers fans of the 'we are the people' type with their union flags and think 'you know the UK government thinks you are scum and couldn't give a crap about you right? In fact the Tories are laughing their asses off behind your back as they stuff you and your mates struggling to make ends meet yet you voted for that'. Yet rule Britannia they are. An emotional thing. Its like the loyalists of N. Ireland; the most 'British' people you can get yet the British (aka mainly English) want nothing to do with them and their burning of catholic effigies etc.

At the same time though I can and do understand that a modest section of the population do feel British and want the UK as one nation, even though it's not and never has been. It's a legitimate wish; one as legitimate as me wanting a united FranScotia for example. Our identity and dreams of our ideal nation are our own freedom to choose. Hence I'll reserve any ire for politicians, hacks etc who ask for it rather than the average voter.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 hour ago, doctormog said:

Loon voters? That's a bit sad really.

I'm from Dundee.  Everybody North of  Brechin is a loon to me.  

Your constant mock outrage is a bore.

• Like 1
    Posted

Good luck to him and the anti-WMD group he's part of.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/snp-msp-bill-kidd-nominated-nobel-peace-prize

SNP MSP Bill Kidd nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Written by Alan Robertson on 9 February 2016 in News

Anniesland MSP praised for work campaigning for a nuclear-free world

SNP MSP Bill Kidd has been named in a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work campaigning against nuclear weapons.

The Anniesland MSP, who is co-president of Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament (PNND), has been namechecked in a nomination for the group.

Obviously not on something Kezia, Ruth or Wullie would be nominated for.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    33 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I'm from Dundee.  Everybody North of  Brechin is a loon to me.  

Your constant mock outrage is a bore.

Yes, it must be almost as tedious as your constant insults of anyone who disagrees with you :D

• Like 1
    Posted

Well, aye...

As I've said more times than I can remember, the UK government will do everything to damage Scotland.  Scotland must always be held back in the UK lest it think about independence. It can do ok, but must always lag that bit behind. That is the prism there is no getting out of bar independence.

Stupid? Sad? Yes.

In fact the opposite would likely be the case; a happy devo maxed / FFA'd Scotland would probably be far less likely to seek indy (see e.g. federal Quebec), yet the opposite is perceived by those trying to retain control from London.

But that's the situation; it's an imperial mindset that destroys, ultimately, what it aims to maintain as history has shown time and again.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/scottish-government-would-be-%E2%80%98stupid%E2%80%99-accept-fiscal-framework-offer-says-stuc

Scottish Government would be ‘stupid’ to accept fiscal framework offer, says STUC

The leader of Scotland’s trade unions body the STUC has backed Nicola Sturgeon’s position on the fiscal framework, saying it would be “ranking on the stupid” to accept the offer from the UK Government.

The First Minister has written to David Cameron in a bid to break the deadlock in the long-running talks over the financial settlement underpinning the transfer of tax and welfare powers to Holyrood, after talks broke down yesterday.

Grahame Smith, general secretary of the Scottish Trades Unions Congress (STUC), said the proposals on offer risks a huge cut in Scotland’s budget, leading to loss of services and jobs...

#Vow'delivered'

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ehm..something missing in translation here I think!

In Aberdeenshire speak 'Loon' is regional dialect for 'man' or 'boy', usually the latter in my experience. I'm assuming that is the context that @mountain shadow was originally using it in? 

Not a term I can every remember encountering until I moved to this area, but I'm surprised that @doctormoghasn't heard of it as it's quite commonly used in and around Aberdeen by the 'natives'.

Edit: Just had to double check but Forfar FC's knickname is' The Loons' so I'm assuming it's commonly used in Angus too, hence MS's "everyone North of Dundee" response. MS, you could have explained. :fool:

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 4
    Posted
    29 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

In Aberdeenshire speak 'Loon' is regional dialect for 'man' or 'boy', usually the latter in my experience. I'm assuming that is the context that @mountain shadow was originally using it in? 

Not a term I can every remember encountering until I moved to this area, but I'm surprised that @doctormoghasn't heard of it as it's quite commonly used in and around Aberdeen by the 'natives'.

Edit: Just had to double check but Forfar FC's knickname is' The Loons' so I'm assuming it's commonly used in Angus too, hence MS's "everyone North of Dundee" response. MS, you could have explained:fool:

He would have done even better to acknowledge that females also have the vote and written "loons and quines" - that way it might have rung some bells!

• Like 4
    Posted

Indeed Nouska. Loon is a Doric word as far as I know and I assumed it wasn't used in that context and of course I have heard of it. I also  was aware of the Forfar usage. Apologies to MS if he was using the word in that context rather than the one which is disparaging to those with mental health issues. :)

BTW Ravelin Brechin is a good few miles North of Forfar.

Edited by doctormog
    • Like 2
    Posted

the one which is disparaging to those with mental health issues.

Must admit I've never heard loon used in that context, i.e. referring to someone with real mental health issues in an intentionally disparaging way.

I've only heard it used for people without mental health problems but doing something perceived as irrational / silly / stupid, i.e. 'a bit crazy', e.g. 'You'd be crazy to vote for tha ya loon!' ...'How could they do that [crazy / silly / foolhardy thing]; bunch of loons!'.

PC brigade would be all over Looney Tunes otherwise; Looney having a very similar meaning here I've always understood.:)

LooneyTunesWallpaper800.jpg

Like this from urban dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=looney

TOP DEFINITION

looney

An English gentleman who has a crazy idea which could only label them as "Insane"

Caitlyn thinks her boyfriend CJ is a complete looney sometimes...

Anyway, I think we're down to splitting hairs here. At least nobody is e.g. liberally using misogynistic language and the word 'c**t' as per Brian Spanner; the favoured tweeter for some such as Jakey Rowling (she can sue me if she reads this).:)

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    8 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I thought most Scots would know that Loon is a NE Scotland term, it did not cross my mind that a certain member would get the wrong end of the stick.

I'm happy to be the one loonatic on here.

• Like 2
    Posted

Indeed Nouska. Loon is a Doric word as far as I know and I assumed it wasn't used in that context and of course I have heard of it. I also  was aware of the Forfar usage. Apologies to MS if he was using the word in that context rather than the one which is disparaging to those with mental health issues. :)

BTW Ravelin Brechin is a good few miles North of Forfar.

I wondered what you were going on about there but looking back I noticed he said everyone north of Brechin. You are if course correct and I've had the pleasure of visiting both towns. Amazing where being a supporter if a crappy lower league football team takes you over the years. 

Anyway, I'm not ruling out MS being 'mischievous' with his choice of words. 

SS, there is sometimes a certain mental health connotation with the word eg 'loony bin'  being slang for a mental health hospital. In general though I'd go with your definition. 

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
    49 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Anyway, I'm not ruling out MS being 'mischievous' with his choice of words. 

I can assure you that you can rule it out.

I call a spade a spade, I wouldn't hide my feelings behind any subtext. 

Posted

IPSOS MORI Scotland poll:

Constituency:

SNP 53% (+3)
    Labour 20% (n/c)
    Conservatives 16% (-2)
    Liberal Democrats 6% (-1)

Regional list :

SNP 49% (+3)
    Labour 19% (n/c)
    Conservatives 15% (-1)
    Liberal Democrats 8% (n/c)
    Greens 6% (-1)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Yes 52.1%
    No 47.9%

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Great to see that UKIP is doing so stonkingly well, north of the border!:rofl::rofl:

Posted

On the UKIP related theme.... on the EU ref:

62% Remain / 26% Leave

=70% Remain excluding DK.

Also, support for independence from the UK rises quite sharply at the prospect of an EU exit.

scotland-independence-referendum-feb-201

58% Yes to independence in this case excluding DK.

Posted
    15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Great to see that UKIP is doing so stonkingly well, north of the border!:rofl::rofl:

UKIP on 0.1% for constituency and 0.8% for the regional PR list.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

We rarely seem to hear from our sole elected UKIP representative north of the border these days. Which is a real pity because he is highly amusing most of the time.

• Like 1
    Posted
    55 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

We rarely seem to hear from our sole elected UKIP representative north of the border these days. Which is a real pity because he is highly amusing most of the time.

I think he probably realises on past experience that the only way for him to win (or at least not lose) support is for him to keep quiet!

• Like 2