Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's what people like Osborne do - pass the buck! They've been at it for centuries...

• Like 2
    Posted

Pertinent question. Indirectly of course.

I'd have thought David Cameron as First Minister of the 'sovereign nation' of England (under EVEL) surely?

For now anyway, as he was elected on that premise.

---

'by England we mean the whole of the United Kingdom'

Erm, haud on...

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Labour / the Libs understand what they are saying to the electorate right?

I mean aside from the issue of them proposing to put up taxes disproportionately on the lowest paid while hardly touching the better off etc, you know, people might respond to the general tax principle like this for example.

I was led to believe big across the board tax hikes were something we'd have to implement in an independent Scotland just to 'survive'. Labour + Libs are now saying this is needed while we're in the UK. We tax the poor to pay for new nuclear weapons, wars, fast railways for the wealthy in England etc.

Why don't we at least wait until we might, maybe, by some miracle, have control of setting all bands, via the mythical vow, so could try to be progressive in the desperation to mitigate Tory cuts that Labour and the Libs campaigned so hard for in recent years?

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Pertinent question. Indirectly of course.

I'd have thought David Cameron as First Minister of the 'sovereign nation' of England (under EVEL) surely?

For now anyway, as he was elected on that premise.

---

'by England we mean the whole of the United Kingdom'

Erm, haud on...

Couldn't believe that when I saw it. Clearly intended to cause friction.

Of course the British Empire was really the English Empire and Scotland voted to remain part of it.

No voters won't mind it I'm sure.

Posted

Meanwhile...

http://archive.is/yRzCn#selection-235.1-307.192

Fairer taxes

A Labour government will cut taxes for 24 million people

Since the election, the Tories have raised taxes 24 times – including hiking up VAT. Millions of hard-working people have seen their taxes go up, while millionaires have been given a tax cut.

And Labour wonder why they're so screwed. People can spot chancers that don't really give a crap about Scotland at all is why.

EDIT

Just thinking... but if Scottish Labour were in power and increased taxes while English Labour were in power and decreased taxes...would these not cancel each other out, meaning Scottish Labour would need to increase taxes even more to counteract the austerity of their own party?

Labour are really beyond parody now.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

TNS poll:

Constituency ballot :

SNP 57%
    Labour 21%
    Conservatives 17%
    Liberal Democrats 3%

Regional list ballot :

SNP 52%
    Labour 19%
    Conservatives 17%
    Greens 6%
    Liberal Democrats 6%

No obvious changes for months now. Tories maybe up a little from Lib + Lab as some polls have suggested, but within MoE of May 2015's 15%.

EU referendum, excluding DK:

68% Remain / 32% leave

So that's fairly standard too.

---

EDIT, note above is using a harsh turnout filter not applied normally. To compare with previous TNS, we have (change from December) for all 'committed voters':

SNP 58(nc)%
    Labour 22(+1)%
    Conservatives 15(+3)%
    Liberal Democrats 4(-2)%

Regional list ballot :

SNP 52(nc)%
    Labour 20(+1)%
    Conservatives 15(+3)%
    Greens 6(-3)%
    Liberal Democrats 6(-1)%

Which suggests the Tory vote hasn't really changed from the GE, but more Tories planning to vote.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

SLAB Regional List hopefools hopefuls for Holyrood 2016 

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/scottish-labour-list-candidates-shortlist-announced/

Do your best, do your worst; pin the tail on the donkey for those who will be consigned to the dustbin.

Posted

Well, I've never been given reason to put a lot of faith in Yougov polls for Scotland (always overestimate Lab/Con and underestimate SNP), but this is quite eye opening:

On PoP averaging of course, Tories just looking like May 2015 in terms of share, but the above has not appeared at a great time for Labour.

Posted

What this means of course is that traditional Labour supporting Unionists are switching to the Tories.

I guess they see Ruth doing more to protect their Unionist ideals than Kezia.

If Labour finish 3rd Kezia would have to go surely.

Posted

To be honest, I think if there is anything to the possible Tory few% 'surge', it's most likely just Tory voters who never bothered with Holyrood (=pretendy parliament) before bricking it and saying they plan to vote. Meanwhile Labour are just dying. On average, the Tories are at 15%; exactly what they got in the May UKGE, which was 2% higher than Holyrood 2011.

For the SNP vote, you can see the story is ~50-58% (online polls to Telephone and face to face) and hasn't moved at all for over a year now.

Anyway, if pro-union parties / papers just keep screaming 'SNPbadRowlingNazioilpricehatetheEnglishaaaarrrggghhhh'  at Scots I'm sure folks will rush back to them at some point.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Yougov Scottish EU poll:

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
    Remain 55% (+4)
    Leave 28% (-3)

= 66% Remain ex DK.

Fairly normal for online polls which are more pro-Remain, although there are suggestions 'Remain' is gaining strength in Scotland.

Posted

I think the Tories will play the Unionist card for all it's worth as in the 1992 UK General Election where it did give them a slight lift, enough to delay the wipeout predicted until 1997 at Westminster. There might be a bit of Labour to Tory shift, quite likely in places like Jim Murphy's former seat as well as Tory voters who haven't voted for Holyrood before. Dugdale seems to think being more shouty than Murphy is the solution, Scottish Labour need, but I've heard some formerly life long Labour voters relishing the Tories overtaking Labour in Scotland - that is how much of a waste of space they view the Labour party in Scotland today.

I think the Lib Dems are looking good for a bit of left of centre pro Indy entryisim? 

Posted

Here's the actual Labour regional list ordering.

http://news.stv.tv/politics/1341787-details-of-labour-list-candidates-for-holyrood-election-leaked/

Anas Sarwar tops the Glasgow list.

Gets kicked out of Glasgow Central on a 35% swing to give the SNP 53% and he's looking to get back into parliament by the back door. Standard Labour.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nothing like a breath of fresh air!   ......(not):bad:

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Thank the Lord the waste of space that is Willie Young only got 6th on the NE list. Hopefully that'll ensure we don't see him at Holyrood. Just a pity Jackie Ballie is first on the West list. 

• Like 1
    Posted

So, basically Labour want to up taxes on the low paid to pay for trident.

oftri.jpg

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-cost-of-everything/

'A penny for trident'

Posted

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/07/british-press-most-right-wing-europe/

British press ‘most right-wing’ in Europe

mediaBiasTopics.png

MBB.png

#BetterTogether

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It looks like it's a long way back for Labour full stop let alone a long way back for them in terms of May. Every time they were supposed to get a boost it's come to nothing. I wonder if ex-Labour voters will be a bit like ex-addicts, they're often the ones who simply will never go back and will also be the most vocal against. This isn't the same as traditional swings between Labour and Tory seen across the UK, it seems deeper and far more persistent. 

Posted

Well, the Orkney 4 have their costs covered by the Scottish electorate through crowd funding.

As for Carmichael.... Doesn't pay to be a proven disreputable liar. From BBC live:

UPDATE: Alistair Carmichael loses legal fees bid after failed action

Posted at12:30

Lib Dem Orkney and Shetland MP Alistair Carmichael has lost a bid to have his legal fees paid after a challenge to his election failed.

Four constituents raised the action under the Representation of the People Act 1983, claiming he misled voters over a leaked memo before the election.

Getty Images

Judges ruled in December it had not been proven beyond reasonable doubt he had committed an "illegal practice".

Mr Carmichael has now lost a claim that his legal expenses should be paid.

Judges clearly felt while he got off on one technicality, he was far from innocent.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Good news.   Be fine if the Parliamentary investigation decision goes the same way!

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Judges clearly felt while he got off on one technicality, he was far from innocent.

Aye...

After hearing legal arguments from both sides, Lady Paton said: "In all the circumstances, exercising our discretion, we consider this to be in effect a case with divided success.

"Accordingly, we find no expenses due to or by any party."

Seems fair enough to me. Although, you still do get the feeling he'd have been better off, both politically and financially, just holding his hands up and going for a re-run of the seat before it came to a court case. His costs seem to have been reported as around £150K, but I find it strange that his costs were well below that of the petitioners costs.

Posted

So, for lying to the electorate deliberately to try smear a political opponent and so hold onto his cushy salary and expenses, he then tries to bankrupt the constituents who were unhappy with his court-proven lying.

Cost to Carmichael around £150,000 and every shred of respectability he ever had. Possibly also the last remaining Holyrood constituency seats the Lib Dems hold too.

So glad I've never vote Lib Dem.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/11/12/letter-from-westminster-49

The right to freedom of speech is a fundamental one but it does bring a responsibility with it to tell the truth. The right to smear an opponent is not one we should be defending.

Alistair Carmichael MP

#BetterTogther

Edited by scottish skier