Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Another example of why people aren't listening to the pro-union papers in Scotland. In itself hardly a scandal, but when just about every article is made up with the general theme SNP = Bad, is it a surprise people stop buying?

If you want to read stuff that's largely made up with some pics thrown in for entertainment, you can buy the Daily Mail. It at least has those nice pics to look at, compensating for the lack of decent investigative journalism and quality writing.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/01/10/setting-the-record-straight-on-talking-to-the-snp/

Setting the record straight on talking to the SNP

POSTED ON JANUARY 10 2016

The Scotsman carries a story today that says (amongst other things):

THE man credited as being the author of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s economic policy is to deliver a series of pre-election briefings to the SNP, who he has advised to abandon its support for a currency union as part of a radical shift in the party’s economic ­approach.

Richard Murphy, the author of bestselling book The Joy Of Tax, has told how he attended talks with a senior nationalist MP in London that were sanctioned by the party leadership.

He has described a currency union as “the weakness at the heart of SNP policy” in the 2014 referendum. The campaigner also said that the SNP was allowing big business to dominate the issue of tax devolution.

Murphy is due in Edinburgh in mid-April in the run-up to the Holyrood election, when he will meet senior SNP politicians for talks on how to use newly devolved tax powers to promote greater social justice.

He said: “I’ve talked to the SNP in London about what taxes should be devolved and about what currency an independent Scotland could use.

Let’s get the record straight then, as much of this implies things I did not say.

It is quite clear my links with Jeremy Corbyn are loose.

And I have never said I am giving a series of pre-election briefings to the SNP.

I have met two SNP MPs recently, one for lunch. But I have not a clue if such meetings were sanctioned by the SNP leadership and have never hinted they were.

And I have been invited to Scotland in April, but I never said that the trip had anything to do with the SNP, although I did say I would be open to meeting interested parties whilst I was there.

And the meeting with the SNP in London was with its London branch, in December, as I clearly explained.

Someone is making mountains out of a series of events here and if the SNP are upset, I apologise: facts have been distorted here to imply things I have simply not said.

I do have opinions on tax and devolution and think this is a vital issue, and am more than happy to talk about them. But to imply I am in any way and SNP adviser now is wrong, and inappropriate. I am happy to talk to parties, of course. But this implies I am doing more than that and that is incorrect.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

#BetterTogether Tory-Lab-Lib Coalition in East Dunbartonshire Council in bother.

Smells a bit like standard Lib Dem opportunism. Still, if they really were Liberal Democrats they should really work with the other yellow flag waving party that is the SNP.

SNP came joint first place in terms of seats with Labour in 2012 but Labour, being centre-right, preferred coalition with the Tories.

https://archive.is/nWaH9#selection-719.15-719.42

Political administration hangs in balance as LibDems quit council coalition

THE political coalition running one of Scotland's smallest but most affluent local authorities has been plunged into chaos following the withdrawal of the Liberal Democrats from the ruling administration.

The exit from East Dunbartonshire Council by the LibDems now leaves the Labour/Conservative administration without a working majority and could open the door for an SNP-led takeover of the authority, which includes the Glasgow suburbs such as Bearsden, Milngavie and Lenzie...

...It has also been suggested the [Lib Dem] trio have resigned as being in opposition could better assist both their chances of re-election in 2017 and the prospects for a Lib Dem candidate at the Holyrood elections.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

i think its very telling that no one is discussing the wings story , which i am sure you have all read , over alleged cybernats and david bowie.

What disgracefull journalism over the poor guys death to cancer. 69 is no age , i should know as my old dear died at 68.

I think we are long past the parody stage and laughing at what is left of the so called scottish newspapers.

Its now beyond scraping the bottom of the barrell boy who cried wolf stuff.

I mean they cant barely give the daily record away , and they wonder why.?

quote of the day to donald anderson "if the daily record says bowie is dead i dont believe it"

• Like 4
    Posted

Bloody wind turbines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35277045

Scottish wind power surge reported in 2015

WWF Scotland has released figures it said showed 2015 was a "huge year" for renewable energy.

The environment charity said wind power produced the equivalent of 97% of Scotland's household electricity needs.

The contribution of wind power was calculated to be up by 16% on the previous year.

#SNP=Bad

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    18 minutes ago, balmaha said:

i think its very telling that no one is discussing the wings story , which i am sure you have all read , over alleged cybernats and david bowie.

Aye, I thought about it but then thought why bother for reasons I've said. The Labour supporting Record is gutter press. No better than the Daily Mail or Express these days.

Funny that one of the (I think two?) vile (slightly dry humour is now 'vile') cybernats 'insulting' Bowie by calling him a (unionist true blue) rangers fan was, well, a unionist Rangers fan...

You are correct; the Brit Scot media is now beyond parody. I look forward to the next plunge in sales figures; should be out soon. Won't shed a tear when they hit they wall anyway. Time to move on.

• Like 2
    Posted

Well, today's the day the British parliament formally ends and MPs are excluded based on their nationality. Westminster becomes the English parliament which also makes laws for Scotland when it wants.

We now live in a country which is openly xenophobic towards Scotland; excluding Scots from a say in law making simply because they are Scots and even though it's physically impossible for Scots MPs to outvote English MP as they are outnumbered 10:1.

While of course English votes for Scottish laws continues happily, examples including:

- Overruling the mandate for devo max

- Scottish Affairs Select Committee is in majority English for the first time in history

- Tories saying they will overrule the democratic mandate of Scotland in the  EUref and try to drag Scotland out of the EU by English force 

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

Very nice to see this. 

Presumably if it goes ahead, Holyrood can vote for Scotland to adopt its own official national anthem.

Tick tock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35296296

MPs to vote on national anthem for England

Jerusalem was chosen as the anthem to be played for English athletes competing at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, and was used again in 2014 in Glasgow
    MPs are expected to vote later on the idea of England adopting an official national anthem.

God Save the Queen, the national anthem for the UK as a whole, is currently used for England during most sporting events.

However, Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins believes England needs its own anthem and the idea has the support of several campaigners.

If the vote is passed his bill will be debated again at a second reading.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35300106

18% increase in council tax proposed for Moray.  I hope our new councillor Denis Slater (Independent) is happy.  Elected in October under the banner that he is trully independant and not joining any group on the council.  January 11th 2016 - announces he is joining the ruling independent/ Tory ruling group. This allows them to push through council tax increase.

Posted
    1 hour ago, Colsuth said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35300106

18% increase in council tax proposed for Moray.  I hope our new councillor Denis Slater (Independent) is happy.  Elected in October under the banner that he is trully independant and not joining any group on the council.  January 11th 2016 - announces he is joining the ruling independent/ Tory ruling group. This allows them to push through council tax increase.

Tories raising the council tax?

I did say it was a centre-right regressive tax (it does not reflect ability to pay and the poor pay the most relative to income) and that's why the SNP froze it / are looking for an alternative.

Posted

Oooppps!

Updated

Fox Creek fracking operation closed indefinitely after earthquake

Magnitude 4.8 quake rattles area, but no injuries or damage reported, energy regulator says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fox-creek-fracking-operation-closed-indefinitely-after-earthquake-1.3400605

As if they didn't have enough woes. Is this the death knell for fracking in the UK?

Edit: In Scot Pol but may have wider audience - over to SS as our 'local' expert!

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 2
    Posted

^^

But Dave promised us oil jobs would be safe and we'd get a £200 billion oil boom if we voted to remain in the UK. Where are the broad shoulders protecting all those jobs in the NE now?

https://archive.is/r2qTi#selection-2115.0-2115.133

DAVID Cameron is to promise a £200 billion oil boom over the next two decades if Scotland votes to remain part of the United Kingdom.

oileconomy2.jpg

The funny thing is that events since the iref have proved the SNP totally right. Everyone got the price wrong because you can't predict artificial manipulation. However, Scotland's economy grew throughout 2015 even though the price was plunging. Unemployment figures also fell and are within MoE the same as the UK. Sure hurt a smidgen by the oil but as indy supporters always said, oil was a bonus, not the basis of the economy. Scotland is the third most productive area outside London and the SE without oil revenues.

Unionists gleefully enjoying jobs losses in the NE is only driving people to support indy. It's why Yes is ahead in recent polls.

Unionists need to realise that arguing being in the UK has made Scotland an economic basket case isn't a great way to save the UK. Yet still they persist.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

^^

But Dave promised us oil jobs would be safe and we'd get a £200 billion oil boom if we voted to remain in the UK. Where are the broad shoulders protecting all those jobs in the NE now?

oileconomy2.jpg

The funny thing is that events since the iref have proved the SNP totally right. Everyone got the price wrong because you can't predict artificial manipulation. However, Scotland's economy grew throughout 2015 even though the price was plunging. Unemployment figures also fell and are within MoE the same as the UK. Sure hurt a smidgen by the oil but as indy supporters always said, oil was a bonus, not the basis of the economy. Scotland is the third most productive area outside London and the SE without oil revenues.

Unionists gleefully enjoying jobs losses in the NE is only driving people to support indy. It's why Yes is ahead in recent polls.

Unionists need to realise that arguing being in the UK has made Scotland an economic basket case isn't a great way to save the UK. Yet still they persist.

Same place as those whom protected the coal worker's during the Thacher years no doubt, although I'm quite sure the whole industry won't disappear in this case. The money oilnmakes the economy is need. The job loses are Probably due to the very low prices we have at the moment. I don't think those jobs will come back once the price goes up though, greed is the key here.

Edited by alexisj9
    Posted
    29 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Same place as those whom protected the coal worker's during the Thacher years no doubt, although I'm quite sure the whole industry won't disappear in this case. The money oilnmakes the economy is need. The job loses are Probably due to the very low prices we have at the moment. I don't think those jobs will come back once the price goes up though, greed is the key here.

Oil will be $150 a barrel not too far in the future; the current price is artificial. It's not possible to produce the average global barrel for $30. Breaking even isn't possible at that level and breaking even doesn't provide profit to develop new fields to keep supply. We're eating through 94 million barrels a day. Our thirst is growing too, yet we've peaked easy oil. Everything left is much more costly; at least $80 a barrel break even.

All the jobs will come back and the cycle will repeat. This is my third crash; 5th for my boss. Production from the North Sea is currently increasing; just new field developments on hold and that's where the staff cuts have been. I remember graduating in 1999 to the 'final end of the North Sea (again)'. New boom kicked off the next year.

The long term projections of oil price by the Scottish Government, UK government (who predicted the same as the Scottish Government), oil and gas industry itself -pretty much everyone basically - of at least $90 a barrel over the next decade back in the iref will actually be correct. Probably at the lower end. On average of course. That doesn't make good 'Scotland has been bankrupted by the UK so should stay in it' headlines though.

Going to be funny when we are next voting on independence with oil sky-rocketing and talk of $200 a barrel again. Presumably all those saying Scotland can't be independent because it has oil will be saying it now can be. :)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Anybody else enjoying English Question Time on BBC? 

20 minutes on the devolved English health service so far.

Posted

Scottish favourability ratings from Survation.

I’m guessing this is a Survation for the Record.

Nicola Sturgeon (SNP):

Favourable: 55%

Unfavourable: 28%

NET: +27

Scottish favourability ratings of Patrick Harvie (GRN):

Favourable: 15%

Unfavourable: 15%

NET: -0

Scottish favourability ratings of Ruth Davidson (CON):

Favourable: 23%

Unfavourable: 29%

NET: -6

Tim Farron (LDEM):

Favourable: 10%

Unfavourable: 18%

NET: -8

Kezia Dugdale (LAB):

Unfavourable: 24%

NET: -9

Willie Rennie (LDEM):

Favourable: 14%

Unfavourable: 23%

Jeremy Corbyn (LAB):

Favourable: 26%

Unfavourable: 43%

NET: -17

David Cameron (CON):

Farourable: 24%

Unfavourable: 55%

NET: -31

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

VI. No change on September essentially.

Constituency ballot :

SNP 52% (-1)
    Labour 21% (-1)
    Conservatives 16% (+2)
    Liberal Democrats 7% (+1)

Regional list ballot :

SNP 42% (n/c)
    Labour 20% (-1)
    Conservatives 16% (+3)
    Greens 9% (-2)
    Liberal Democrats 8% (+2)

This will be an online poll, so at the lower end for SNP + Green. Suggests steady as she goes for an increased majority with the Greens making inroads.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Full Scottish poll. Survation usually better for 'Leave'.

67% Remain excluding DK.

Also, statistical tie on the indy question from online poll supports Yes remains narrowly ahead on average:

That's 49% Yes excluding DK

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Reasons for independence #376

In Energy Voice today.

Nail on head.

https://www.energyvoice.com/opinion/98704/opinion-the-pm-made-a-mockery-of-the-anxiety-so-many-workers-face/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EV%20Daily%20Newsletter%202016-01-15&utm_term=Energy%20Voice%20-%20Newsletter

Opinion: The PM made a mockery of the anxiety so many workers face

Prime Ministers Questions this week may have been one of the most frustrating sessions ever witnessed by myself and others with ties to the North Sea oil and gas industry.

Even when questioned and criticised by MPs in his own party, the Prime Minister has shown a complete disdain and disrespect for an industry which has been politely and urgently asking for his help and the assistance of his government, in coalition or otherwise, for well over a year now.

The matter of galvanizing the UK Government into doing more to support the oil and gas sector does not come from a fear of Scotland being overly reliant on it. In fact over the past three years the Scottish economy has grown to the point where output is now 3.1% above its peak pre-recession. Our construction industry has seen a major boost, our food and drinks sector is growing, and retail is healthy.

We need a healthy oil and gas sector not because we are entirely reliant on it, but because it would be a tremendous waste not to support this industry to its full and would cost far too many people their livelihoods.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Scottish favourability ratings from Survation.

Nicola Sturgeon (SNP):

Favourable: 55%

Unfavourable: 28%

NET: +27

Kezia Dugdale (LAB):

Unfavourable: 24%

So only 39% of those polled actually know who Kezia is and/or know enough about her to be prepared to provide an opinion on how she's doing. Now I know Nicola (83%) should be more well known, but that's got to be a huge problem for Labour i.e the electorate don't know who their leader in Scotland actually is. She's been in the position for long enough now, and on TV plenty both before and after she's become leader.

• Like 1
    Posted

Brave of the Tories to highlight the poverty and misery their rule is causing after 6 years in power in their new PPB.

You can see the poor guy begging by the bin in the background. Also raking through it for food or something as he's probably been sanctioned by IDS.

Story in the Herald.

https://archive.is/BRVv2

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Not quite as bad as BT 'Patronising Lady' but close.  

The SNP are good but not perfect and Scotland is crying out for constructive, thoughtful and costed opposition policy. All we get is #SNPBAD, dross and drivel.

Start putting Scotland first, by all means make a positive case for the Union (if there is one) but Scotland and the Scottish Peoples deserve better than a 2nd Class UJ stamp.

May 2016 Local Constituency MSP for Glenrothes - Jenny Gilruth . . . SNP

May 2016 Regional Party List  MSP. . . SNP

Edited by frogesque
    Posted
    On 14/01/2016 at 11:05 AM, scottish skier said:

Oil will be $150 a barrel not too far in the future; the current price is artificial. It's not possible to produce the average global barrel for $30. Breaking even isn't possible at that level and breaking even doesn't provide profit to develop new fields to keep supply. We're eating through 94 million barrels a day. Our thirst is growing too, yet we've peaked easy oil. Everything left is much more costly; at least $80 a barrel break even.

All the jobs will come back and the cycle will repeat. This is my third crash; 5th for my boss. Production from the North Sea is currently increasing; just new field developments on hold and that's where the staff cuts have been. I remember graduating in 1999 to the 'final end of the North Sea (again)'. New boom kicked off the next year.

The long term projections of oil price by the Scottish Government, UK government (who predicted the same as the Scottish Government), oil and gas industry itself -pretty much everyone basically - of at least $90 a barrel over the next decade back in the iref will actually be correct. Probably at the lower end. On average of course. That doesn't make good 'Scotland has been bankrupted by the UK so should stay in it' headlines though.

Going to be funny when we are next voting on independence with oil sky-rocketing and talk of $200 a barrel again. Presumably all those saying Scotland can't be independent because it has oil will be saying it now can be. :)

I wish I shared your optimism. Got made redundant in November.  I have applied for many jobs without even an interview.

I would disagree with your point that all the jobs will come back.  I lost my job due to to a change in rota pattern.  There was an instant 20% cut in personnel.  I worked on a mature asset.  Therefore too say that all the job losses are from new develpments is untrue.

• Like 1
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, Colsuth said:

I wish I shared your optimism. Got made redundant in November.  I have applied for many jobs without even an interview.

I would disagree with your point that all the jobs will come back.  I lost my job due to to a change in rota pattern.  There was an instant 20% cut in personnel.  I worked on a mature asset.  Therefore too say that all the job losses are from new develpments is untrue.

I feel your pain. I got made redundant (factory closure) post 9/11 after we lost most of our buisness (70+% export) overnight. Not solely oil related but we did make some items for the Oil industry. I was 56 at the time and pretty well unemployable in any sort of decent capacity. In the end I became self employed until I retired.

There will be other opportunities, you just have to keep at it and not become despondent. Scotland is a fantastic place to work and even if it means a complete career change there will be something for you.

• Like 1