Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
    Just now, Ed Stone said:

That's my point doc - they are the ones that survived?? My great grandfather didn't survive, and the last way on earth I want to remember his sacrifice is with the very same devices that killed him...

I can understand that and do agree with it to an extent, but my/the original point was to do with veterans' perceptions.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I agree with you, SS - firing big willy-shaped things is a rather 'odd' form of remembrance, if you ask me. No disrespect to my family-members that got blown to smithereens in Ypres and North Africa, but it almost says: we can't wait for the next war to come along??

Aye Ed. 

I'd often taken a wee detour, as a young lad, to just read the names in quiet reflection and think about how many were lost, the devastation caused...

CarrbridgeWarMemorial.jpg

Hoping we won't hear the sound of the guns again.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    3 minutes ago, doctormog said:

I can understand that and do agree with it to an extent, but my/the original point was to do with veterans' perceptions.

I can see that too...

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Aye Ed. 

I'd often taken a wee detour, as a young lad, to just read the names in quiet reflection and think about how many were lost, the devastation caused...

CarrbridgeWarMemorial.jpg

Hoping we won't hear the sound of the guns again.

Me too and have visited the WW1 war sites and cemeteries several times. The futility and tragedy of that conflict is deeply moving. I despise the waste, human cost and cannon fodder mentality of the countries' leaders in that conflict but that is not mutually exclusive to my views already expressed. There are many ways of remembering and gun salutes in all my years of seeing them have never been seen as inappropriate by veterans. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Me too and have visited the WW1 war sites and cemeteries several times. The futility and tragedy of that conflict is deeply moving. I despise the waste, human cost and cannon fodder mentality of the countries' leaders in that conflict but that is not mutually exclusive to my views already expressed. There are many ways of remembering and gun salutes in all my years of seeing them have never been seen as inappropriate by veterans. 

I won't speak for veterans in general as I will not put words in their mouths. A good few veterans in my family history, RIP, and they at least would disagree with you. 

My point was, this... 

We are supposed to remember so we don’t make the same mistakes again.

When we start firing big impressive weapons to 'remember', it means we've forgotten.

That is my feeling and the original point of the comment.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

I won't speak for veterans as I will not put words in their mouths. A good few veterans in my family history, RIP, and they at least would disagree with you. 

My point was, this... 

We are supposed to remember so we don’t make the same mistakes again.

When we start firing big impressive weapons to 'remember', it means we've forgotten.

It really is a difficult and perplexing problem; are we remembering those who, in WW1, died for nothing that I can see (WW2 was vastly different!) or are we glorifying war as a means to an end, and bugger the consequences/human cost?

When I hear politicians vilifying other politicians for not wearing 'appropriate apparel' I really do begin to wonder!

• Like 2
    Posted

Effie Deans seems to be struggling to decide if she hates Scotland or the EU more! Like quite a number of the 'Pouters,  she rants about the SNP and yes voters, as small minded separatists and isolationists, who are not living in the modern world and have created unnecessary division (what they mean is people had the audacity to challenge their  world view). Yet are now increasingly more about getting people to vote out in the EU referendum and in pretty clear BritNat jingoistic terms. They are showing their true colours now... 

• Like 2
    Posted

Effie Deans is the type who gets all excited by guns and war celebrations, sorry commemorations!

Yes, just a few months over a year ago, we were being told how important it was to vote to stay part of a union of countries. How this was crucial for trade / the economy etc... how we shouldn't look inwards in a global world, putting up borders between people. It was vital that we voted to remain in the UK for these reasons, and because it would likewise preserve Scotland's place in the EU.

Now, lots of people that were arguing the above are saying how bad unions are... how we need to vote 'Out' to regain national sovereignty and proposer.

Anyway, #BetterTogther have convinced me an 'In' vote in the EU ref is the only way to go. I don't want my daughter to need a passport to visit her granny in Le Harve. And what about the poor in Bordeaux? They're the same as the poor in Glasgow are they not? Likewise, if the rUK votes out, we must become independent and remain in the EU union.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    1 hour ago, doctormog said:

Well worth a read although ironically I  can guess the response http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jordan-daly/post-referendum-scotland_b_8833934.html 

I'm not really sure what he is complaining about? He posted something on Facebook, people disagreed with his opinion. End of. He doesn't indicate that there were any post of a particularly 'vile' nature or anything? Were people who disagreed with him supposed to have stayed quiet, or changed their minds and agreed with him?

Unfortunately when you hold what is a minority view then people are going to disagree with you. However as long as you are provided the opportunity to continue to express that minority view then freedom of speech is alive and well.

I do agree with him to an extent, slavish dedication to any political party or cause is unhealthy and all should be open to criticism. I'm just not convinced that people disagreeing with his views means that "critical thought is being suppressed".

• Like 1
    Posted

The response to 'SNP = vile and bad' is this:

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/scotland

SNP shrugs off opposition attacks to increase Holyrood poll lead
    The Scottish National Party has increased its lead over Labour in the last month

Not sure of the numbers yet as TNS seem to have made a boo boo with the link. Was 58% SNP last time...

Should be fixed soon.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Here we go. Latest full TNS Scottish poll:

Constituency:
    58(nc)% SNP
    21(-3)% Lab
    12(nc)% Con
    4(nc)% Lib

List:
    54(+2)% SNP
    20(-5)% Lab
    12(+1)% Con
    4(-1)% Lib
    9(+4)% Green

Looks like some labour movement to SNP + pro-indy Greens.

That's 63% for pro-indy parties under PR (list). Impressive.

Also no sign of Ruth's Tory revival.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It's an interesting poll given that c. 60% intend to vote for the SNP but only c. 30% think they as a government are doing a good job in the key areas under their direct control. A lack of awareness of the alternative or highlighting a weakness across all the opposition parties?

Posted
    23 minutes ago, doctormog said:

It's an interesting poll given that c. 60% intend to vote for the SNP but only c. 30% think they as a government are doing a good job in the key areas under their direct control. A lack of awareness of the alternative or highlighting a weakness across all the opposition parties?

Where did you get those figures from?

Doing a good or satisfactory ('neither good nor bad') is running at 60-70% in most areas of control.

I'm guess you mean this from back in August?

Economy
    70% Good or satisfactory (neither good nor poor)
    24% Poor

NHS
    67% Good or satisfactory
    29% Poor

Education
    70% Good or satisfactory 
    19% Poor

Education
    63% Good or satisfactory
    29% Poor

That's how Sturgeon gets 7/10 sat ratings (MORI). Quite something for a government with its hands tied behind it's back and coping with externally forced massive austerity.

At this stage in the electoral cycle - i.e. approaching 9 years in - normally those results  would be the other way around for a party in government.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

No voters voted for a Tory Chancellor to set the Scottish Government's budget size. That is a problem for the whole of Scotland, because the Tories can turn around and say there is no democratic deficit, that's what Scotland as a nation voted for in September 2014. It's a bit of a double whammy in that the political trap that was Scotland Act of 2012 is now in play - it's fiscal tools are such a blunt instrument it is hard to see how using them could ever be better than not using them, but that was the idea - to give the Scottish Parliament powers it could never conceivably use in order to say their not using current powers so have no need for more.

It does seem that the UK Government is trying to turn the Smith Commission findings and the new Scotland Bill into a similar set of fiscal and political traps, unless there is a major change in how the UK parties approach the constitutional issue then the issue of independence will remain live.

Posted
    14 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Where did you get those figures from?

Doing a good or satisfactory ('neither good nor bad') is running at 60-70% in most areas of control.

I'm guess you mean this from back in August?

Economy
    70% Good or satisfactory (neither good nor poor)
    24% Poor

NHS
    67% Good or satisfactory
    29% Poor

Education
    70% Good or satisfactory 
    19% Poor

Education
    63% Good or satisfactory
    29% Poor

That's how Sturgeon gets 7/10 sat ratings (MORI). Quite something for a government with its hands tied behind it's back and coping with externally forced massive austerity.

On a different note it is interesting that if you use the same analysis method then 55% of the same sample are in support of or "satisfied with" Trident being replaced with a new nuclear weapons system.

Yes the previous data were from August's poll (but the Trident data are from the new poll).

• Like 1
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, doctormog said:

On a different note it is interesting that if you use the same analysis method then 55% of the same sample are in support of or "satisfied with" Trident being replaced with a new nuclear weapons system.

Yes the previous data were from August's poll (but the Trident data are from the new poll).

You know that question is not about Scotland having nuclear weapons right? Although it's good to see 57% of those giving an actually giving a for or against view (excluding DK or neither for nor against) opposed to it.

People are answering what they think should be the case for Britain, not for Scotland, because that's what they were asked. The replacement could be e.g. based in Devon. There's no mention of Scotland.

If you asked 'Do you agree with the UK government forcing Scotland to host a new generation of nuclear weapons even though the Holyrood parliament and Scotland's MPs have consistently voted against this' your answer would be rather different.

Still, 38% opposed (vs 29% support) of total sample is big when you consider getting e.g. 70% out to vote is something special (we just managed it in May at 71%). And those opposed / holding a strong view are those more likely to vote.

---

Anyway, absolutely brilliant polling for the SNP and Greens. Total disaster for UK parties. 12% for the Tories is just embarrassing; they are supposed to be the party of the union.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    Posted
    14 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

In unionist party strategy meetings across the UK:

How do we win back SNP voters?

How about we call them trolls who are vile and abusive?

Yes, and say they are all deluded / brainwashed!

Brilliant idea guys, just brilliant!

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Tories teasing labour (or is that 'vile abuse'?):

Does suggest Tories reckon just holding onto their 15/129 seats would be satisfactory. I'd be embarrassed at 15 seats, not teasing others who're projected to win 10 more than that.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It must be very frustrating being the pro-union press in Scotland.

Why are the people not listening to SNP = bad, unionist = good!

Why won't people give up on independence and vote Tory because e.g. of an unforeseen crack in the Forth Bridge aaaaaaaaaarrrrggghh!

People are not listening because they're sick of being fed crap. They'd like proper scrutiny of the SNP and all parties based on the facts in hand. They'd like a balanced read about the pros and cons of indy, devo max etc.

If you just make up bad stuff up about the SNP / indy, and give the unionist parties / union a really easy ride by contrast, people will just start ignoring you and going elsewhere for information such as online, which is what they are doing.

We Ginger Dug has a nice article on the subject.

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/tis-the-season-to-be-trolling/

...According to a recent survey, the British press is the least trusted and the least liked of any media in any developed nation. The survey didn’t ask about the media in Scotland, but I’d put money on it being even less trusted and even more disliked than its English counterpart. Oh no, I said English. I must be a racist. That’s the level the Unionist Scottish media operate on in the strangest one party state in the world.

In Scotland, the claim that we’re a one party state is given serious airtime by a media which loses another bit of its rapidly diminishing credibility every time the claim is published. Scotland is the strangest one party state in the world. It’s the only one party state where the media is almost entirely opposed to the one party. It’s the only one party state where the opposition is never scrutinised or held to account. It’s the only one party state which is a one party state because the opposition is useless, not because they’re oppressed. In the real world you don’t get to claim victimhood because you’re a hopelessly incompetent mendacious clown, but you do if you’re a Unionist in Scotland. And their trolling bleats of complaint are presented in all seriousness by a media which lost the plot years ago. It’s the fault of the SNP that Labour in Scotland are clueless balloons...

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted

Brilliant news if true (Windy is usually spot on)

https://www.facebook.com/windywilson.weather.roads

Windy Wilson Weather and Road Reports

3 mins ·

BREAKING NEWS JUST IN - FORTH ROAD BRIDGE

Windy says the FORTH ROAD BRIDGE is to re-open to all vehicles EXCEPT HGV'S tomorrow, Wednesday the 23rd of December

FORTH ROAD BRIDGE TO RE-OPEN TOMORROW - WEDNESDAY 23rd OF DECEMEBR - TO ALL BUT HGV'S

EDIT: now on Beeb Scotland News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35160296

Edited by frogesque
    Updated info
    • Like 2
    Posted

"Blow for Sturgeon as thousands of motorists need to change travel plans ahead of Christmas due to SNP reopening bridge."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35160296

The Forth Road Bridge is to reopen on Wednesday after temporary repairs were completed ahead of schedule.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Is there just no end to the incompetence of this SNP government? Not only that, they have obviously deliberately released this news after the Scottish Parliament went into recess for Xmas, depriving the opposition the opportunity to challenge them on their awful estimate of just how long the Forth Road Bridge would be closed.

• Like 7