Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
    1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

That's pretty horrendous news for Fife commuters. 

Years of underinvestment in Scottish infrastructure by Westminster and Labour at Holyrood. 

Thank God the SNP have been trying to remedy the situation.  If it weren't for them we wouldn't be getting the new bridge.

Aye. I remember this sort of stuff all too well!

Thank god we elected the SNP in 2007 and 2011.

We're now just a year away from a brand new bridge on time and on budget. Just in time it seems with the old one giving up the ghost.

If we'd elected unionist parties, we'd be absolutely screwed. The forth crossing is a major economic artery.

But then, as I've said before, unionist parties don't want Scotland successful as that might fuel support for independence. So long as there are a good section who back indy, so the unionist parties will try to damage Scotland. 

That's why new infrastructure is not 'really needed and soon' but all 'vanity projects'.

CVXvrUYW4AAF0pi.jpg

CVYVTMCWoAAKAPF.png

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

In light of the 'SNP 2', i wonder if these 2 MPs will resign their party whips pending police investigation? I have no idea who they are, could even be SNP MPs, but doubt it will be as it'll have been pre May GE.

The Metropolitan Police are investigating two MPs over alleged misuse of Parliamentary expenses.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35004172

• Like 1
    Posted

Why the Tories struggle in Scotland #163

Philip Sim @BBCPhilipSim  4 hrs4 hours ago

Alex Johnstone of @ScotTories says Forth Road Bridge closure is a "scandal"; says "complete lack of forward thinking" from @scotgov

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-33911664

...About 1200 workers are now employed on the project, which is on schedule despite bad weather and due for completion in December 2016.

Transport Scotland said the crossing was being delivered under budget, at about £1.35bn to £1.4bn...

I remember when the Tories were last in full control of Scotland. Absolutely nothing built bar the Skye Bridge PFI and it's massive tolls while London said 'thanks for all the oil money..M25, channel tunnel etc'.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Would that be the same bunch of unionists that declared the new Forth Crossing a " vanity project for Alex Salmond" and "a waste of money".  The same Tories that couldn't run a penny raffle, never mind the Edinburgh Tram project.

SNP/SNP for May 2016!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    3 hours ago, frogesque said:

Would that be the same bunch of unionists that declared the new Forth Crossing a " vanity project for Alex Salmond" and "a waste of money".  The same Tories that couldn't run a penny raffle, never mind the Edinburgh Tram project.

SNP/SNP for May 2016!

A project is just starting here, most of the funding for it is from the EU. I'm wondering how much they paid into the Channel Tunnel as I'm sure it may have been substantial. Not everything built or regenerated is paid for by us. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

Perhaps some of the £80billion being spent on HS2 could be used to fix the Forth bridge.

Population of the West Midlands is the same as Scotland but you'd be struggling to find anyone in WM who approves of the extra link to London.

• Like 1
    Posted

Just to be clear, whilst there is major inconvenience an cost associated with the Forth Bridge closure, nobody has died. The issue has been discovered before any accidents and thankfully it does seem that the problems can be fixed although it will take time.

From Facebook pages, news stories an talking to folk its being regarded with a fair degree of Stoicism and a great deal of good humour. 

I'm on the tablet just now and links are difficult but with regard to funding the new Queensferry Crossing currently being built it is being funded by public money from the Scottish Government. As far as I'm aware and I am open to correction, no EU or additional money from Westminster has been provided. It is a huge Scottish project and is expected to come in on time and, almost uniquely for a public project, under budget. 

Also, it is very visible project in that excellent views of the work can be had from several vantage points and there is a great sense of 'ownership'

The Forth Road Bridge will be fixed in due course and life will go on, we just have to be patient. We really don't need the begging bowl or be 'subsidy junkies'.

• Like 1
    Posted

Aye, but 8% of £80 billion would come in handy for a lot of things.

It's Scotland's cash after all.

I imagine the East Midlands could fine better things to spend a similar amount on too instead of becoming another London super-suburb.

---

Certainly, the Queensferry crossing is looking impressive. This is fairly recent I understand:

_84871257_ct-cranedriverpics01.jpg

Although mind it's not the only project on time and too budget under the SNP. Lots of examples of that, e.g.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news/2015/september/rail-services-make-historic-borders-return.aspx

The Borders Rail project is the longest new domestic railway line to be built in the UK for over a century. Completed on-time and on-budget, it is expected to carry almost 650,000 passengers a year and will deliver new jobs and new opportunities for economic growth across Midlothian and the Borders.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Although mind it's not the only project on time and too budget under the SNP. Lots of examples of that, e.g.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news/2015/september/rail-services-make-historic-borders-return.aspx

The Borders Rail project is the longest new domestic railway line to be built in the UK for over a century. Completed on-time and on-budget, it is expected to carry almost 650,000 passengers a year and will deliver new jobs and new opportunities for economic growth across Midlothian and the Borders.

In the interests of veracity, and not SG-knocking, that statement is not true - the Borders Rly was years later than planned by previous administrations. 

Posted
    11 minutes ago, shuggee said:

In the interests of veracity, and not SG-knocking, that statement is not true.  

Which bit of it?

Ok, open to interpretation. The construction was on time and to budget, that started in April 2013 under under the SNP majority.

The smaller planning part took longer and was over budget, but that's the bit that's far harder to predict. That started back in 2005 under the Lab-Lib administration I understand. Whole process leading to that goes back to 2000 and the feasibility study.

Inherited projects are always difficult ones to attribute success / failure, particularly as they come with lots of political baggage!

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Yep, between 2005 and 2011 all hues of politicians are tinged with delay, spin, re-announcing and pushing back the start date and re-arranging the goalposts SS.

Posted

Interesting archived notice from Public Contracts Scotland regarding the FRB in 2010:

http://www.publiccontractsscotland.gov.uk/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY077389

Contract - cancelled "due to a change in the anticipated scope of the works".

Posted

Jeez, get yourself together Labour. This is getting bad.

We need strong opposition to the Tories in Westminster. Work with the SNP on that.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Poll results suggest support for the Syria air strikes is tanking across the UK. Really quite epic crash it seems.

Latest UK Yougov poll Scotland (subsample) disapproves: 
    39% Approve
    45% Disapprove 

Labour voters:
    29% Approve
    51% Disapprove 

As usual, SNP in tune with the electorate, Lab, Con and Lib not.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I see Labour maybe thinking about possibly you never know 'deselecting' candidates in England is a massive scandal according to the right.

However, in Scotland, the Tories deselecting 1/2 its list is fine.

https://archive.is/nrdGk

Scottish Tories ditch election candidates in bid to win over voters

The Scottish Conservative party has ditched half its election candidates in an attempt to make itself Scotland’s second-biggest party in parliamentary elections in May.

The makeover sees a new breed of younger, moderate Tories replace many of the party’s longstanding candidates, as it seeks to appeal to voters from the centre ground.

According to allies, Ruth Davidson, leader of the Scottish conservatives, believes her party can capitalise on Labour’s leftward shift by positioning itself to appeal to the country’s 2m unionist voters, who opposed independence in the referendum last year.

At the moment, the Conservatives have just 15 seats in the Scottish parliament, against 38 for Labour and the Scottish National party’s 64.

The Scottish conservatives also plan to limit the number of campaign visits that prime minister David Cameron and other senior Westminster Tories make during the Holyrood election campaign, in an attempt to focus attention away from the party’s English, public-school associations, the Financial Times understands.

Why limit Dave's visits? Something to be ashamed of?

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    13 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I see Labour maybe thinking about possibly you never know 'deselecting' candidates in England is a massive scandal according to the right.

However, in Scotland, the Tories deselecting 1/2 its list is fine.

Why limit Dave's visits? Something to be ashamed of?

Yep very hypocritical to say the least. 

Posted
    5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep very hypocritical to say the least. 

Not really - it's like comparing apples and pears.

Labour activists and Unite are targeting Labour MPs.

Big difference.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Not really - it's like comparing apples and pears.

Labour activists and Unite are targeting Labour MPs.

Big difference.

The Tory leadership is going to purge 1/2 their candidates.

That's Stalinist surely BB? :)

Don't the local branches / members get a say?

I've did my voting for the local SNP list a couple of months back as a member. All very democratic and no top-down dictatorial control.

• Like 2
    Posted

Enjoying the Tory majority?

You can look forward to more as they move towards cementing Britain as a right-wing (elective) dictatorship.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/7-ways-tories-rigging-system-6968806#ICID=sharebar_twitter

7 ways the Tories are rigging the system to lock Labour out of power

Step by step, the Tories are bringing laws to strangle the opposition, gag criticism and silence dissent...

1. Keeping Labour voters off the electoral roll
    2. Making sure there are fewer Labour [and SNP, Lib etc) MPs
    3. Cutting funds [short money] of opposition parties
    4. Curtailing the power of the trade unions
    5. Stamping out opposition in the House of Lords
    6. Gagging charities and campaigners
    7. Stopping journalists from getting information

And of course we have Scots MPs as second class under EVEL yet still we have English Tory votes for Scottish Laws in true dictatorship style. 

Britain's going be become a really scary place over the next few years; something Yes voters warned of time and again.

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

23563206656_87ffc9806d.jpg

One of today's bust bridge busters organised by those lovely people at ScotRail and paid for by TS.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    On 06 December 2015, scottish skier said:

I've did my voting for the local SNP list a couple of months back as a member. All very democratic and no top-down dictatorial control.

How long did it take you to read up on the candidates and vote on them? The list to choose from was rather long, that's not a complaint, just an observation.

Posted
    9 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

How long did it take you to read up on the candidates and vote on them? The list to choose from was rather long, that's not a complaint, just an observation.

Yes, it did take a bit of time. I did it maybe in 2 hours; 1 hour on two occasions. Not intensely, so could probably have done it quicker.

The list is way longer than will ever be elected and you only need to rank those you feel happy ranking if I recall correctly.

I knew / knew of a few from the list, so went for them first.

Posted

As for this...

Almost lost for words.

https://archive.is/MObGG

Osborne: UK has 'got its mojo back' with air strikes

Britain has "got its mojo back" and stands alongside the United States in the fight to "reassert Western values", George Osborne has said.
    Speaking in the US, the Chancellor said it was a "source of real pride" for him that MPs had overwhelmingly backed air strikes in Syria against Islamic State.

What was that expression? Lions led by donkeys.

<Holds head in hands>

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

How Scotland is being represented on the world stage by our little silver spoon in mouth boy who loves playing with toy soldiers.

Scotland's elected representatives, and therefore Scottish people by implication, are 'noisy and aggressive'.

https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/story/george-osborne-snp-mps-are-%E2%80%98noisy-and-aggressive%E2%80%99

George Osborne: SNP MPs are ‘noisy and aggressive’

George Osborne has described the group of 54 SNP MPs in Westminster as a “noisy and aggressive bloc”, as he restated his opposition to a second independence referendum.

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

How Scotland is being represented on the world stage by our little silver spoon in mouth boy who loves playing with toy soldiers.

Scotland's elected representatives, and therefore Scottish people by implication, are 'noisy and aggressive'.

#BetterTogether

I'm not at all sure how those comments would have been received in New York?   Americans are well known to be proud of their Scottish 'noisy and aggressive' ancestral heritage to the point of being fanatical.   As usual, Osborne just doesn't get it!

I also find his comments about SNP MPs being 'noisy and aggressive' after  the recent disgusting display following the vote by English MPs in the HOC  as laughable.   If you look at the recording,  all SNP members can be seen to be sitting with their hands in their laps!