Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

British 'democracy' in action.

Comes on the back of Scots MPs being made second class and no longer able to be PM / UK cabinet under EVEL.

#BetterTogether

Doesn't just effect scotland but everyone except the conservatives. Feeling more like a dictatorship every day, the conservatives have the press and the funding in their pockets, everyone else has an impossible fight against media opinion. I'm glad the SNP are doing well even though the press are against them, seems you scotish are not so easily led. 

Edited by alexisj9
    • Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Doesn't just effect scotland but everyone except the conservatives. Feeling more like a dictatorship every day, the conservatives have the press and the funding in their pockets, everyone else has an impossible fight against media opinion. I'm glad the SNP are doing well even though the press are against them, seems you scotish are not so easily led. 

Fortunately the SNP don't have to rely on short money or big corp donors. It's a member based movement and if necessary, like during elections, various fundraisers are mounted, including crowd funding. It's a huge problem for Westminster, they have no legal way to bankrupt the SNP, hence all the personal smears and attacks on MPs, MSPs etc.

I'm  senior citizen member (over 60) so my annual sub is only £6pa but if there was an acute funding problem I would quite happily find £50 or even £100 from somewhere to support them. I' m positive many others feel the same.

The SNP isn't perfect by any means, partly because every single person's perfect is different, but they are a Scottish mile ahead in a 5k race compared to the table sweepings of the London based parties.

Edited by frogesque
    • Like 2
    Posted

A stunt or the start of the trickle?

We know a number of Labour MSPs voted Yes; we just don't know which ones as they were threatened with expulsion.

https://archive.is/AfRrj

Glasgow Labour councillor announces support for Scottish independence

A Glasgow Labour councillor has come out in support of Scottish independence, putting him at odds with his party’s pro-union position.

Russell Robertson, who campaigned against separation in the run up to last year’s referendum, revealed his U-turn in an impassioned Facebook post.

It is understood the councillor for East Centre has also privately discussed following his former Labour colleague Stephen Dornan into the SNP...

...Writing on Facebook, Councillor Robertson said: “I am fed up to the teeth with London lording over me – the Tories stink, the House of Lords stinks, the establishment stinks, the anti JC (Jeremy Corbyn, Labour Party leader) agenda stinks, the blood lusting to bomb Syria stinks, the rule Britannia mentality stinks. “We are a nation and must govern ourselves – warts n all.â€

Whoocha on his faceboook comments. Let it all out son!  :)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

From Yougov UK poll:

How much do you trust the following to make the right decisions in regard of Syria and Islamic State/ISIS?

David Cameron

32% TOTAL TRUST 
    60% TOTAL DO NOT TRUST

Only 11% 'Trust a lot'.

For a silly subsample that's got 28% for Con + UKIP (not weighted to Scotland and too many English born in the panel), that's not very good at for Cameron at all.

Essentially identical to the trust in Corbyn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    29 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

From Yougov UK poll:

How much do you trust the following to make the right decisions in regard of Syria and Islamic State/ISIS?

David Cameron

32% TOTAL TRUST 
    60% TOTAL DO NOT TRUST

Only 11% 'Trust a lot'.

For a silly subsample that's got 28% for Con + UKIP (not weighted to Scotland and too many English born in the panel), that's not very good at for Cameron at all.

Essentially identical to the trust in Corbyn.

Unfortunately we are still going to go to war regardless, of what we the public think, and it is more than we are told. The thing is I don't think the parliament realise how big this is. World war 3 is about to start, in my view. Look at all the players out there already. If I thought his was just about isis and the plan made sense I'd be for it. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    5 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Unfortunately we are still going to go to war regardless, of what we the public think, and it is more than we are told. The thing is I don't think the parliament realise how big this is. World war 3 is about to start, in my view. Look at all the players out there already. If I thought his was just about isis and the plan made sense I'd be for it. 

Indeed.

The whole scenario is absolutely crazy in my view.   Coalition, what coalition?   Each has their own agenda.  Russia and Turkey are currently at loggerheads, America and Russia are disagreeing on strategy, Russia and Iran would prefer Assad to remain, Saudi Arabia, America, Britain, France wish Assad to go.

These issues have not been dealt with to enable an effective coalition.

What happens if relations between Turkey and Russia deteriorate further?   What happens if one of them fires on the other's planes again?     Queue Nato against Russia?  Queue a ME war?  Queue WW111?      But hey, who cares?.....Britain will finally be able to join the party!

Ill thought out and dangerous because all avenues have not been explored before military action is taken!

Edited by Blitzen
    wording correction
    • Like 2
    Posted

Well, we're only just over a year in and I only have one box of 'things that will happen if we vote No bingo' box to tick.

I have my pen ready!

Meanwhile, HoC clapping in support of war.

War is fine to clap for. 

This behaviour however is boorish and uncivilised:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32907129

SNP MPs told off for clapping in House of Commons chamber

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

Better, stronger, more secure. World stage. Top table.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Has he got a photo of when he left the SNP in July?

No idea. Probably.

I took the tweet as intending to be symbolic of the likely result of last night's vote for many. Similar to the Iraq war.

I can understand why. From the most recent Yougov UK poll:

Would you approve or disapprove of the RAF taking part in air strike operations against Islamic State/ISIS in Syria?

2015 Labour voters

57% Disapprove

23% Approve

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Mildly amusing...

A new recruit for those 'vile anti-English separatists'.

https://archive.is/bvUzS#selection-737.1-745.223

EX-footballer Stan Collymore has become the newest member of the SNP after Westminster MPs voted to go to war.
    The former Liverpool striker announced the move in a series of angry Tweets last night, following the Commons vote on Syria.
    Posting on the social networking site, he tweeted a screen shot of an email confirming his membership of the SNP, and said: "Done. No more Tories infiltrating the grand old party of working people anymore. Time to change."

Pity he wasn't a bit younger. Strachan could have maybe used him.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

So.......that's 2 Tornado jets and 6 Typhoon jets sent off to Cyprus from Lossiemouth to be used against Syria.   Erm.... at the very least that must reduce a quick response if required for us here in Scotland,  right?...........Oh, wait a minute, I forgot, we've got TRIDENT!

Edited by Blitzen
    adding to post
    • Like 1
    Posted

Forth Road Bridge to be closed to all traffic from midnight once traffic management put in place. A BEAR employee who lives down the street said the engineers report would be concise 'It's f**ked'!! Maybe not far of the mark, apparently the unbalanced loading the past two days has caused further problems.  :oops:

No-one can still argue the Forth Replacement Crossing is unnecessary and a vanity project!  However someone at Amey need's their weeble booted around the office for the fact there appears to be no-one updating the Forth Road Bridge twitter feed outside office hours! :fool:

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 4
    Posted

Forth Bridge closure will have a serious impact on many business in East Central Scotland and further afield. Closure of 24 hours is bad enough but that is a minimum. Much longer will be devastating.

I wonder how much assistance  we can expect from Westminster?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    28 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Forth Bridge closure will have a serious impact on many business in East Central Scotland and further afield. Closure of 24 hours is bad enough but that is a minimum. Much longer will be devastating.

Couldn't they lend us the new aircraft carrier at Rosyth? We could park it 'sideways' across the Forth at Queensferry and use it at the central support for a temporary pontoon bridge. At least then it will have a use until they get some aircraft to fly from it. :D

• Like 1
    Posted
    4 hours ago, frogesque said:

I know your joking.  We had to get on our knees and beg for the money for the replacement crossing. 

Good job we did.

Posted

The Forth Road Bridge is to be closed until the new year because of structural faults, transport minister Derek Mackay has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

Speechless!

Posted

That's pretty horrendous news for Fife commuters. 

Years of underinvestment in Scottish infrastructure by Westminster and Labour at Holyrood. 

Thank God the SNP have been trying to remedy the situation.  If it weren't for them we wouldn't be getting the new bridge.

Posted

That's a fair sized crack there.

_87034349_crack.png