Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

I know guys - all SNP'ers are faultless...

= something nobody from the SNP has ever said.

You've heard of Bill Walker right Ed?

He was a bad egg and was out on his ear for it. He won't be the last.

I've mentioned him many times on here as an example of how it is not a bad egg that damages a party / movement, but how they deal with the bad egg that can do that. Protect the bad egg and that can hurt you. Deal with them swiftly and it will not. Can even boost you.

Bill Walker did no damage to the SNP because he was out on his ear asap. As long as they maintain that strict approach, so inevitable further bad eggs will also do no damage. And they are with the latest possible, maybe case.

I just find it weird today that the unionist argument in response to things that people do think important was 'McGarry'.

Trident? McGarry

Austerity? McGarry

EU brexit? McGarry

Tories for 10 years? McGarry

It's tiresome and so inanely stupid I despair. Yes, people will not vote for independence because one politician maybe did something dodgy. Is that all that is left of the case for the union? That's it?

Oh no, I forgot. There's this much better argument.

George and the Tories making jokes and the whole HoC laughing about thousands of job losses in Scotland due to the oil downturn. They found it hilarious. They enjoy seeing Scotland economically damaged. They love it.

This is after the UK being saved by Scottish oil time and again. 100's of billions of pounds in direct taxes alone, never mind the up to 25% of corporation tax the industry contributes. Just a few years ago George suddenly grabbed 10 billion just like that, without warning, on top of the regular take. That's a third of a year's Scottish block grant and over double the whole UK tax credits cuts George wanted to make. Just like that he dipped in and helped himself as the UK had always done.

Then they turn around and laugh at Scottish job losses after spending all the proceeds of the good times.

The UK can GTF.

What's worse is some 'Scottish' unionist politicians also delight in such things as they can say 'Look, Scotland is to weak and pathetic to be independent!' with glee. It's absolute madness. Is there any other country in the world where economic bad news is greeted eagerly by those in power? I mean what.

On a positive note, BBC Radio Scotland actually played the mocking Scotland clip. I turned it off as I couldn't listen to it again. But at least a decent section of the electorate will have heard it. I could sense from presenters that they were not sure it was a good idea, but decided a Scottish industry in trouble - which should weaken the case for indy right?* - triumphed so they fiddled with forelocks then decided to play it. 

---

*Actually this assumption is very wrong. 74% voted Yes in 1997 to devolution because Scotland was economically on its knees after 2 decades of Tory rule. If it had been prosperous, they'd likely not been bothered about devolution, never mind backing full indy by over 60% (64% voted for max 'indy' on offer). Countries go for indy in response to damage, not in response to prosperity. It is seen as a last gasp attempt / way out when no other option seems possible.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

I know guys - all SNP'ers are faultless...

Of course not.

?

• Like 1
    Posted

BTW, I am NOT a Unionist!

Aye Ed, we know you think Scotland should decide for itself freely, but I think folk are just not sure what some of your recent posts meant.

One thing that is very interesting about the SNP, is that voters of that 'party' are much more attached to it than voters of any other (I read a study on this, would need to search for it). They identify with it in a way voters don't identify with other parties. The more see themselves not as SNP supporters, but as SNP.

This is because it isn't a party, but a movement.

It can cause people to feel an attack on the SNP is an attack on them, because they are the SNP. They span all demographics and are from across all the political spectrum, working as one. Hell, 70% of Scots are sympathetic to the goals of the SNP, being satisfied (e.g. MORI) with them in government and either supporting indy or not opposed in principle (e.g. recent panelbase).

It's something that only tends to happen in situations of major constitutional / democratic change. The last UK example would be the rise of the Labour movement. It began as a movement, succeeded in most of its goals, then became a party. When it became a party, it's decline began. Same will happen to the SNP after indy.

For now though, it's 'See me, I'm SNP'.

-----

I think this is why the rUK struggles to get what is happening in Scotland / what the SNP are. Scotland is half way between being a country and not being, but well on the road to the former. It's politics therefore do not fit norms.

As I said in an earlier post, it's chamber looks like any normal European social democracy, albeit over half the chamber have pulled on yellow t-shirts with little saltire logos, covering their normal red, green, yellow-orange, and even light blue t-shirts in consensus.

Ergo when the SNP are attacked, especially from London, Scotland is seen as being attacked because the SNP are people of all parties/demographics (who see Scotland as its own country).

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    Another wee 'Then and now'

Then:

yXOPp0Fw_bigger.png

Thank goodness people in Scotland listened to @EdwardJDavey last year about CCS funding #indyref #AutumnStatement

CUsHxo3WEAAQOOA.jpg

Now:

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

And further good news for the economy of the NE, already hit hard jobs-wise by the oil downturn (which the Tories were laughing at earlier today).

Wings Over Scotland Retweeted

BREAKING £1bn Carbon Capture competition cancelled. Not good for SSE/Peterhead or Drax, the last 2 competitors #CCS

CUq43wZWwAE8w9o.png

#BetterTogether

This is a ****ing joke - Scottish Hydro Electric have gone through this process 2 or 3 times now with the Peterhead Power Station and each time HM Government has failed to honour it's commitment. It's not hard to conclude why the first two times, when it came down to Longannet or Peterhead! The UK can't afford to not make this technology work. 

Posted

It's quite simple. Westminster sees the writing on the wall for Scotland.

So they will asset strip and remove funding whenever they can.

No voters were warned.

• Like 1

It's quite simple. Westminster sees the writing on the wall for Scotland.

So they will asset strip and remove funding whenever they can.

No voters were warned.

100% agree. Further devolution is becoming messy...a tinker here, a tinker there is not what is required, but being offered by Westminster as being a "credible" solution. The reality is some, in influential positions in Westminster and HoL, now know after May's GE the SNP are here to stay and will continue to push the "old boy's club" for more devolution. 

• Like 4
    Posted

Well, suffice to say there's a good few red faced No voters at my (uni) work this morning.

Was just over a year ago they were saying how their carbon capture and storage research was heavily dependent on that UK billion £ fund.

I didn't tell them 'I told you so' because they know fine well I did.

Everything Yes voters warned about is coming true. All of it.

Tory majority... EU referendum threatening to drag Scotland out... Massive cuts to the Scottish budget we've never seen the like of... No more meaningful devolution... Research funding slashed... Scotland's MPs second class...job losses in major industries... Navy ship orders for the Clyde slashed... trident renewal... another middle eastern war... All of it.

#BetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

It's part of the game plan. Strip Scotland of the big groundbreaking projects, the projects, money and the brains go elsewhere so that Scotland becomes the dependent basket case Westminster wants.

There is huge money to make if carbon capture becomes commercially viable and we should be at the forefront of the research. It will all evaporate as quick as a Westminster promise if it doesn't go ahead. We cannot afford not to and I would fully support the SG if we took it on ourselves, even if it means higher taxes in Scotland.

Posted

Turns out that the Draxx plant withdrew, Peterhead was the only viable option. So for a third time the UK terminated the competition instead of give the billion to Scotland.

Scotland voted to remain in the UK as a partnership of equals, this is not a United Kingdom, it is not a partnership. HM government is acting against Scotland - remember the comment that HM Government wouldn't act against Scotland until after a no vote had been secured!

• Like 4
    Posted

I'll just drop this here after 'another day in a [non-independent] Scotland'.

usQJbqVa_bigger.jpg

Many thanks to the opposition today for raising the profile of my portrait, which raised £51,500 for @CLIC_Sargent.A great cause

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I'll just drop this here after 'another day in a [non-independent] Scotland'.

I wonder how many people will actually be bothered that he missed being at Westminster to re-hear the Tories war plans? I know the hardcore unionists will be shredding their Daily Mails in disgust, but is anyone else going to be bothered? If you're against random bombing on foreign soil then this isn't going to make you think bad of Salmond, quite the opposite when you read the full story, and not the Mail-Record-style steroidal mouth foaming special.

• Like 1
    Posted

I wonder how many people will actually be bothered that he missed being at Westminster to re-hear the Tories war plans? I know the hardcore unionists will be shredding their Daily Mails in disgust, but is anyone else going to be bothered? If you're against random bombing on foreign soil then this isn't going to make you think bad of Salmond, quite the opposite when you read the full story, and not the Mail-Record-style steroidal mouth foaming special.

Aye. He wasn't even doing the portrait thing when Dave was trying to extend Britain's 101 years of continuous war towards 102 years. That was a later charity appointment.

He was in the Holyrood chamber representing his constituents as an MSP for FMQ's and other matters.

Then he had the veterans event thing he was hosting later in the afternoon*.

I certainly don't think you should let your constituents, a cancer charity, and in particular a war memorial trust down just to please the warmongerers, especially when you've already been fully briefed on Cameron's hard-on for another gung ho war.

And Ruth Davidson was a complete embarrassment. Are there really no decent Tories? Not even ones that can behave maturely?

And yes, that's exactly how all but the most rabid, anti-Scotland frothing unionist will see it.

---

I didn't think I could be more pro-indy, but some of the super duper3 that's been thrown in recently has convinced me its possible.

---

*This:

Alex Salmond â€@AlexSalmond  3 hrs

Proud to host the @WarMemorials Trust today at @ScotParl.

CUwfRPeWwAAtVRp.jpg

Mor
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Poll stuff.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3662/Scots-believe-independence-is-likely-to-happen-in-the-next-ten-years.aspx

Scots believe independence is likely to happen in the next ten years

In the final release from our poll for STV News to mark 20 years of Ipsos MORI’s permanent office in Scotland, more than half of Scots believe independence will happen in the next ten years. Looking ahead to 2025, 54% of Scots think it is likely that Scotland will become independent, while 44% think it is unlikely and 2% don’t know.

Iref results do seem to be continuing to slowly reverse.
    • Like 1
    Posted

Couple of decent SNP holds on significantly increased shares of the vote.

Dunfermline North (Fife) result:
    SNP: 43.5% (+11.9)
    LAB: 29.6% (-18.7)
    CON: 12.5% (+5.9)
    LDEM: 9.5% (-4.1)
    GRN: 2.6% (+2.6)
    UKIP: 2.4%

Rosyth (Fife) result:
    SNP: 45.2% (+9.4)
    LAB: 34.5% (-13.2)
    CON: 9.1% (+3.3)
    LDEM: 3.6% (-3.5)
    UKIP: 3.3% (+0.7)
    IND: 2.5% (+2.5)
    GRN: 1.9%

Note that this is the weird STV paradox where the SNP 'hold' these seats even though they 'lost' them if you were to look at the last result upon which the changes in vote share are based (this is down to more than one seat being up for grabs in the full elections).

This meant that Labour just had to stand still in these two by elections to win both seats, taking both from the SNP. Obviously, they didn't manage this and the SNP won / held both of them.
    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

^ SS, I can't find the actual results (by numbers) and turnout on this toy tablet. Any chance you could post them?

Brilliant result all the same!

Posted

^ SS, I can't find the actual results (by numbers) and turnout on this toy tablet. Any chance you could post them?

Brilliant result all the same!

The actual numbers of votes are on Britain elects.

https://twitter.com/britainelects

I'm not sure about turnout figures.

Posted

More bad news.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/94259/oguk-hails-new-oil-and-gas-output-figures/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EV%20Daily%20Newsletter%202015-11-27&utm_term=Energy%20Voice%20-%20Newsletter

OGUK hails new oil and gas output figures

...Oil production from the UK continental shelf (UKCS) went up 32% and gas was up 10%, helping overall energy production to a year-on-year increase of 14.2% during the three months, according to UK Government energy statistics published yesterday.

Oonagh Werngren, Oil & Gas UK’s operations director, said: “The increase in UK oil and gas production over the last quarter is very welcome.

“It is a further sign that this year, we are on track to see the first annual rise in production on the UKCS for 15 years, currently expected to be 8-10%.

That'll help boost George's balance of trade and GDP again.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Thanks SS, on a real PC now and have tracked down the official results for Dunfermline North and Rosyth Turnouts pretty low at 24.06% and 24.66%.

Good results though, Fife slowly but surely getting rid of the 'Red Donkey' at all levels.

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.display&objectid=78C14B8C-EFC6-0261-FFDD1A5F98024340

Edited by frogesque
    Posted

UK in miniature.

EfVdD_cF_bigger.jpeg

Perfect wee example of a UK democratic deficit: Scottish FBU vote against joining Labour. rUK vote in favour. So Scottish FBU now affiliated

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

British 'democracy' in action.

Comes on the back of Scots MPs being made second class and no longer able to be PM / UK cabinet under EVEL.

https://archive.is/yhiag

Osborne’s cut to 'short money' is a risk to democracy, says Electoral Reform Society

THE UK Government’s decision to cut public funding for opposition parties will undermine Scotland’s representation at Westminster, the Electoral Reform Society has said.

George Osborne announced in his Autumn Statement that “short money†– funding that goes to opposition parties in order to level the playing field and ensure democratic scrutiny – will be cut by 19 per cent.

ERS Scotland has challenged the decision and said it was “highly worrying for democracy†in Scotland, given that 58 of the nation’s 59 MPs were not in Government.

Its director Willie Sullivan said: “The decision to cut funding for opposition parties is bad news for democracy in Scotland and across the UK.

“With 58 of Scotland’s 59 MPs not in Government, it is particularly bad for Scottish representation at Westminster, and can only undermine the ability of those MPs to ensure that Scotland’s voters are effectively represented in Parliament...

#BetterTogether
    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1