Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

It didn't apply before because now there a new leader taking the party in a different direction. 

SLAB also has a new(ish) leader as well, I seem to remember her less than complimentary remarks about Corbyn before he was elected. Followed the party's London line. Now has to change direction because of the London line. All the while keeping a straight face and saying how SLAB is listening to Scotland.

It's purile rubbish from a leader who has to check the name tag in the back of her jaiket.

Simple questions, 

Trident, yes or no.

Independence yes or no

Go on Kez, give us all a straight answer for once

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

It didn't apply before because now there a new leader taking the party in a different direction. 

With 6 leaders in just 8 years, it's becoming an annual event, like the Edinburgh festival or something.

• Like 2
    Posted

With 6 leaders in just 8 years, it's becoming an annual event, like the Edinburgh festival or something.

More like a playgroup Christmas party. Who's going to be Santa this year?

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh dear!   the puns going around social media are absolutely hilarious.  

Can't wait for PMQ's!

Anyone checked the markets?   Bet pork bellies have gone through the floor! :D

Nicola & co must be chuckliing this morning methinks!

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

PMQs should be positively sizzling!

• Like 4
    Posted

Don't know why the Herald used the word 'beef' in this article.

Posted

I can't help feel this thread reflects the main problem with the SNP: it's so single-mindedly concerned with the (now finished!) referendum, that it forgets about basics such as health, education, and policing.

I'd want to know: what is going to be done to reverse the downward trend in waiting and treatment times over recent years? At what point is the higher and further education policy going to be revisited so that the poorest don't suffer (lack of bursaries, reduction in FE)? How have the failtures in policing been allowed to get this far without any attention until now?

The fact that a Scottish Politics thread omits any mention of these (and other such) things in favour of continued harping on about something that was dealt with last year is bizarre to the point of being perverse IMO.

• Like 9
    Posted
    'Baroness Lamont of Pollok'

LMAO

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/645926206597165056

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I can't help feel this thread reflects the main problem with the SNP: it's so single-mindedly concerned with the (now finished!) referendum, that it forgets about basics such as health, education, and policing.

I'd want to know: what is going to be done to reverse the downward trend in waiting and treatment times over recent years? At what point is the higher and further education policy going to be revisited so that the poorest don't suffer (lack of bursaries, reduction in FE)? How have the failtures in policing been allowed to get this far without any attention until now?

The fact that a Scottish Politics thread omits any mention of these (and other such) things in favour of continued harping on about something that was dealt with last year is bizarre to the point of being perverse IMO.

Sure.....Here you go, All the info you require is here:- 

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/750-000-patients-treated-within-12-week-guarantee-192e.aspx

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/School-Education

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Probably because those three cliche 'disaster' situations are nowhere near as bad as Labour, the Lib Dems and the Tories try to make out.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Probably because those three cliche 'disaster' situations are nowhere near as bad as Labour, the Lib Dems and the Tories try to make out.

If they were as bad as suggested you'd expect people to talk about them. Not once in the last 12mths can I recall anyone in my office or my circle of friends/family/acquaintances ever bringing up the subjects despite their being numerous conversations about politics.

Oh no, wait, of health, education and policing, the only mention of any was about my father-in-law being unable to get a doctors appointment less in than about 3 weeks. He lives in England though so I'm not sure that counts.

• Like 4
    Posted

Edited by skifreak
    Posted
    Recent Survation poll.

% Dissatisfied with the Scottish Government in various key areas:

Health

23%

Education

21% 

Policing

36%

Only policing has 'could do a little better, but vast majority not unhappy'. Very dissatisfied was only 15% here, with 21% only mildly concerned.

Unsurprisingly, it's pretty much just Tory voters that have issues. The fact that Lab and Lib voters also rate the SNP government suggests that a lot of Tories are just saying they are dissatisfied, rather than actually meaning it. After all, they are using the same public services so getting exactly the same level of service as other voters.

• Like 4
    Posted

The quote function lost the entire post and can't get a cursor to edit it above!

Anyway, if NickR thinks the constitutional issue arose during this parliament and was settled last year, he should watch if he hasn't already the video of John Smith getting stuck into the Tory party for endangering the Union in 1992 that I linked too a few pages ago.

As for the other aspect of his point, other's have already answered - basically that Scotland isn't the mis-governed shambles where all public services are falling to pieces that the MSM and Unionist parties are trying to make out. Until those parties move on from their 'SNP bad so everything they do must be bad' mindset, they will continue to occupy a parallel reality that bears little or no resemblance to the day to day experiences of voters and as such they become every more ridiculous.

Lets look at one specific area that's been hammered away at. Proportion of university students from poorer backgrounds, and how this is apparently better in England where there are huge tuition fees. Well the figures for England are all degrees, but for Scotland solely university degrees and in Scotland a far greater proportion of degrees are issued through further education colleges.  

Labour keeps bashing away at a net reduction in college places, but the merger of a number of FE education colleges has occurred along side a big investment in new central campuses for some of the colleges and the student places at the Collegiate UHI having attained full University status and now having a new campus in Inverness are now I gather no longer counted as FE places, but HE ones.

• Like 3
    Posted

Call me a cynic, but I don't find it that surprising that vocal supporters of the SNP fail to see any problem with the way they are governing. Are certain opposition sectors guilty of exaggerating the problems? Of course. But probably no more than you people/SNP supporters are guilty of underplaying the problems and failures. As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Which, as I say, explains the posts above and the lack of posts in this thread on these matters: it is a lop-sided thread made up predominantly of one extreme, meaning a lack of balance prevails.

Edited by NickR
    • Like 2
    Posted

Jeez, Labour won't shut up about independence.

They need to forget about the referendum and move on.

You know, focus on developing attractive policies for the day to day running of Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34312146

Former Scottish Labour leader Henry McLeish questions indyref 'free vote'

Posted

Jeez, Labour won't shut up about independence.

They need to forget about the referendum and move on.

You know, focus on developing attractive policies for the day to day running of Scotland.

Their mistake - as it usually is - is letting the SNP determine the agenda. No need for facetiousness: it still comes back to the SNP's obsessing over this.

• Like 1
    Posted

I've got to say, but it's pretty embarrassing having a PM that performs sex acts on dead pigs.

Thank god the rest of the world is aware he doesn't represent Scotland.

• Like 2
    Posted

I've got to say, but it's pretty embarrassing having a PM that performs sex acts on dead pigs.

Thank god the rest of the world is aware he doesn't represent Scotland.

I have more contempt for people who think this is any of their business or worthy of comment. I'm assuming such people would be in favour of making public everything that they and everyone else did 30 years ago at university or as part of the dares/pranks of youth. What's that? No? :O

Recent Survation poll.

% Dissatisfied with the Scottish Government in various key areas:

Health
    23%

Education
    21% 

Policing
    36%

Only policing has 'could do a little better, but vast majority not unhappy'. Very dissatisfied was only 15% here, with 21% only mildly concerned.

Unsurprisingly, it's pretty much just Tory voters that have issues. The fact that Lab and Lib voters also rate the SNP government suggests that a lot of Tories are just saying they are dissatisfied, rather than actually meaning it. After all, they are using the same public services so getting exactly the same level of service as other voters.

Statistics that are fairly meaningless tbh as objective markers of failure/success. Got a link btw?

• Like 5
    Posted

Was just thinking... if a photo exists, it means the PM could have been / is being subject to blackmail.

That represents a serious security risk to Scotland and the UK.

A very serious matter indeed, embarrassment on the world stage aside.*

----

*French mother in law says its all over the papers there.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Was just thinking... if a photo exists, it means the PM could have been / is being subject to blackmail.

That represents a serious security risk to Scotland and the UK.

A very serious matter indeed, embarrassment on the world stage aside.*

----

*French mother in law says its all over the papers there.

Rather worrying to say the least. 

Posted
    I have more contempt for people who think this is any of their business or worthy of comment. I'm assuming such people would be in favour of making public everything that they and everyone else did 30 years ago at university or as part of the dares/pranks of youth. What's that? No? :O

It's more the fact that the stuff David Cameron and his Bullingdon Club chums got up to, would have resulted in criminal charges and prosecution for mere ordinary mortals not from their background. If some working class youths from Glasgow break up a pub, their a bunch of neds that need to be taught a lesson, have the full weight of the law come down on them, when it's the future PM, Mayor of London et al. its just having a laugh. 

This total hypocrisy and double standards that the law doesn't apply to them is replicated throughout the British State, we see it with drug laws, and now we are seeing it all laid bare about sex abuse laws as well.  

In some ways this is part of why there is no going back from supporting Indy for so many that have moved to Yes, as time goes on it becomes ever more abundantly clear the UK state is incapable of the reform required to deliver the Scotland we want to see and that the only way to change things for the better is to get out of the British state, a political construct long past it's sell by date.

• Like 7
    Posted

It's more the fact that the stuff David Cameron and his Bullingdon Club chums got up to, would have resulted in criminal charges and prosecution for mere ordinary mortals not from their background. If some working class youths from Glasgow break up a pub, their a bunch of neds that need to be taught a lesson, have the full weight of the law come down on them, when it's the future PM, Mayor of London et al. its just having a laugh. 

This total hypocrisy and double standards that the law doesn't apply to them is replicated throughout the British State, we see it with drug laws, and now we are seeing it all laid bare about sex abuse laws as well.  

In some ways this is part of why there is no going back from supporting Indy for so many that have moved to Yes, as time goes on it becomes ever more abundantly clear the UK state is incapable of the reform required to deliver the Scotland we want to see and that the only way to change things for the better is to get out of the British state, a political construct long past it's sell by date.

Eh? Cameron and his Bullingdon Club pranks 30 years ago (and I think they got away with things because these things tended to be done in locations that weren't as public as a pub) are a reason why Scotland should be independent? 

Your own post undermines your point, as it reflects the fact that things HAVE CHANGED: the sex abuse claims, etc. are only coming to light and being treated differently now because the UK is a very different place.

• Like 6
    Posted
    Effect of a Tory government I warned about seems to be happening.

Unemployment rising in England since their majority. So far, we've managed to buck the trend in Scotland thankfully.

However, you see the effect of their election in May here:

Jobs report shows 'slowing' in economy growth

The number of people finding permanent jobs increased at its slowest level for four months in August, figures show.

There was also a slowdown in permanent salary inflation to the weakest level seen for two years, according to a Bank of Scotland report on jobs.

We all of course no what happened to the economy the last time the Tories were in charge.

2 decades of high unemployment and mass economic emigration. In the middle of an oil boom with hundreds of billions flowing from Scotland to the treasury in London.

This is the reason why businesses are getting nervous. That and the increasingly anti-foreigner rhetoric / tightening of visas which is hurting FDI. Potential Brexit too of course.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cbc29f68-7780-11e3-807e-00144feabdc0.html

Business groups criticise calls for tougher UK immigration curbs

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4