Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Also, poll of small businesses* by the FSB.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/13764563.Poll__Support_for_EU_membership_far_greater_among_small_businesses_in_Scotland_than_in_England/

60% Remain in the EU

26% Leave the EU

Contrasts England where the result was:

45% Stay

43% Leave

---

*Not big corporations, but small, local businesses which are the backbone of the economy. As a result, the numbers actually closely mirror the views of respective populations as a whole.

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34271244

So Mundell says we've had our say now should get on with our lives get back in our box and that having the criteria that could trigger an IndyRef in a party manifesto is ignoring the 'Sovereign Will' of the Scottish people. 

Well the sovereign will of the Scottish people was expressed again in May and we elected 56 SNP MP's on a manifesto for much stronger devolution than the Scotland Bill is offering - yet the party with 1 MP from 59 voted down every amendment to the Scotland Bill, even though may had 58 for and 1 against in terms of Scottish MPs. Using English Votes for Scottish Laws - what was that about sovereign will of the Scottish people?

Posted
    Another snippet from that Survation Poll (from the Sunday post who hopped on the back of it):

Thinking of the impact that the 2014 independence referendum had on Scotland, do you think
    49% Holding the referendum was good for Scotland
    27% Holding the referendum was bad for Scotland
    20% The referendum was neither good nor bad for Scotland

=+22% NET good for Scotland

Unsurprisingly, the people who think democracy is a bad thing are almost entirely No voters (make up 87% of those who said it was bad for Scotland).

EDIT. The stuff about Mundell above highlights what I mean; Yes and floating voters (e.g. devo maxers) are fine with democracy. In contrast, solid British unionists, notably the English Tory party, hate it.

70% Of Tory 2015 voters said it was bad for Scotland. They are the only voters of a specific party where the view in majority was that the referendum was bad for Scotland.

----

EDIT

On the contrary, Mr Mundell claimed that if the union did not exist, it would be invented and people would vote for it.

Panelbase, August 2013:

Q: If Scotland was currently an independent country, would you vote to surrender control of taxation, welfare, defence and oil revenues in order to join the Union?
    Yes: 18%
    No: 55%
    Don’t Know: 28%

Worrying that the SoS is living in fantasy land. How can someone so delusional be expected to perform an important role such as this.

(Yes to the union are the 17% who pick 'British' over 'Scottish' in forced choice national identity in the SSAS)
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Thanks.:)

The only other questions I have is, wouldn't it be unusual, in a caselike this, for the police not to hand over their findings (which was sort of my initial point)? Given the information already in public (Davidsons own public actions), I would have thought that the matter could not be dismissed at an early stage. I'd have thought they would say (in proper terms) "this is what we have found out, you decide how to proceed"?

Essentially (and this a question not a statement:) because of this, the police passing on their findings doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know, it is what happens next that is of significance?

I see what you're saying there yes. The logical conclusion, I'd argue, is that the Fiscals already think there's criminality and urged the police to act on reports made by members of the public - I'd hazard a guess that there were many, many reports made by the public to the police on this matter. If anything, this seems to be a means of the Fiscals ensuring the public that they are firstly aware of the matter and that they are involved in the process from the offset.

So in effect, the implicit potential criminality which comes with a completed police report being sent by the reporting officer to the marking team at the Fiscals which is present in other cases has effectively been confirmed by the sending of a report. It's completely possible that the report would not be sent if the police found no evidence or thought the issue was too minor to warrant the Fiscals aftention or time - they could have issued a warning letter themselves.

At any rate, this is largely academic. The report should be considered and marked within 28 days and the relevant court and court dates selected should further action be deemed necessary.

• Like 2
    Posted

I see what you're saying there yes. The logical conclusion, I'd argue, is that the Fiscals already think there's criminality and urged the police to act on reports made by members of the public - I'd hazard a guess that there were many, many reports made by the public to the police on this matter. If anything, this seems to be a means of the Fiscals ensuring the public that they are firstly aware of the matter and that they are involved in the process from the offset.

So in effect, the implicit potential criminality which comes with a completed police report being sent by the reporting officer to the marking team at the Fiscals which is present in other cases has effectively been confirmed by the sending of a report. It's completely possible that the report would not be sent if the police found no evidence or thought the issue was too minor to warrant the Fiscals aftention or time - they could have issued a warning letter themselves.

At any rate, this is largely academic. The report should be considered and marked within 28 days and the relevant court and court dates selected should further action be deemed necessary.

Many thanks Rab for your input to this and taking the time to answer my questions. :)

Posted

I hope this comes off and is an annual event. BBC should cover it live.

The last union day party on September the 19th last year was a sight to behold.

Anyway, all welcome unless you are Scottish (only), a muslim, a fenian, an immigrant, a refugee...

gp30HdVd_bigger.jpeg

UKIP will tomorrow launch a campaign for September 18th to be named "Union Day" with an "annual celebration" #indyref

@AlanRoden Meeting point will be the East side of George Square in front of the Cenotaph

CPHer9HWwAA3a5r.jpg

UKIP. You've got to laugh.

We love unions. Unions are the best. Long live unions!

No sense of irony either.

Hence 1.6% in the GE.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

UK Yougov poll.

Scottish subsample showing level of optimism about a Left wing revival in Westminster.

If Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour party, how likely or unlikely do you think it is that they will win the next general election?

59% Unlikely

21% Likely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I hope this comes off and is an annual event. BBC should cover it live.

The last union day party on September the 19th last year was a sight to behold.

Anyway, all welcome unless you are Scottish (only), a muslim, a fenian, an immigrant, a refugee...

UKIP. You've got to laugh.

We love unions. Unions are the best. Long live unions!

No sense of irony either.

Hence 1.6% in the GE.

I like the line in the graphic about the meeting point being in the "east side" of George Square. It's not going to be a big meeting if they've got to be specific about which part of George Sq they're meeting in, it's not exactly a vast space. As a teenager I met young ladies in Glasgow for dates with less specific instructions about where to meet up :rofl:

• Like 5
    Posted

Brilliant!

Printing a copy to go in my (now somewhat redundant) road tax disc holder!

Anyone heading for George Square tomorrow?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers

. As a teenager I met young ladies in Glasgow for dates with less specific instructions about where to meet up :rofl:

Was that when you got aff the train fae gilmour street bleary eyed cargoed up catch and staggered up renfield street efter pukin in the bin at glesga central? :D

Those were the days catch now we are respectable adults (ha ha ha ha) whose height of mischief is spending too long on netweather and getting a slap aff the wife whilst our ears are being burnt in the process!!!

like it!!!!! :)

• Like 3

The SNP have played a blinder with the comments from David Cameron that the Tories will now amend the Scottish Bill to make Holyrood a permanent fixture. Nicola Sturgeon welcomed the news, but pointed out that this was recommended by the Smith Commission, which has largely been ignore by Westminster and there were many more powers that were proposed by the Smith Commission following the Vow on more devolution to Scotland. DC has inadvertently highlighted the reality of what Scottish voters expected after the No vote and what really being offered by UKOK. The rise in the Independence movement in Scotland and the prospect of another indy referendum, will hopefully sharpen the UKOK focus at Westminster and HOL, not to ignore Scotland....we shall see.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ah well, one year ago I at this time I was lying in bed, utterly devastated, trying and failing to sleep, after spending most of the night at the count at the AECC. Funny how much, and how little, has changed politically in the past year.

Love this from our esteemed PM...

Mr Cameron said the result meant that "Scotland's majority" had spoken and that "more Scots voted to keep our kingdom united than have ever voted for any party in any election in Scottish history".

He added: "Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon and I signed the Edinburgh Agreement which pledged we would all respect the outcome of last year's momentous vote.

"We all agreed - as do the Scottish public - that the independence referendum should be a 'once-in-a-generation' or a 'once-in-a-lifetime' event. So, now it is time to move on."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34283944)

Funny how the 'unionist' side repeatedly bring up the 'once-in-a-generation' promise, which of course was never anything of the sort. It's a sign of desperation I think, from people who would rather it all just went away than actually deal with it. Well I'm sorry Mr Cameron, maybe if you implement the promises you made last year you can save the union, for a time at least. Fail to do that though and the union is doomed.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I like the line in the graphic about the meeting point being in the "east side" of George Square. It's not going to be a big meeting if they've got to be specific about which part of George Sq they're meeting in, it's not exactly a vast space. As a teenager I met young ladies in Glasgow for dates with less specific instructions about where to meet up :rofl:

Haha that is golden.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Ah well, one year ago I at this time I was lying in bed, utterly devastated, trying and failing to sleep, after spending most of the night at the count at the AECC. Funny how much, and how little, has changed politically in the past year.

Love this from our esteemed PM...

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34283944)

Funny how the 'unionist' side repeatedly bring up the 'once-in-a-generation' promise, which of course was never anything of the sort. It's a sign of desperation I think, from people who would rather it all just went away than actually deal with it. Well I'm sorry Mr Cameron, maybe if you implement the promises you made last year you can save the union, for a time at least. Fail to do that though and the union is doomed.

I'm not sure if it was said elsewhere but I'm sure the reference to "once in a generation" was made by Alex Salmond alongside the context of "but that's only my opinion" (or words roughly to that effect). Nowt like taking something completely out of context.

If the promises which were made before the vote were now being kept then there would be a cast-iron case for us separatists to be told to shut up and get on with it. Fair enough, I could accept that. Clearly the promises aren't being kept, although perhaps when Gordon Brown said "home rule" what he actually meant was "home counties rule"?

It's been a year since the vote, lots of promises, vows, whatever you want to call them were made and I can't see much positive difference. For me now the only reasonable outcome is for the SNP to ask via a manifesto if we should have another referendum. If people vote for it again then it's game on again.

• Like 1
    Posted

Ruth Davidson lauching the Tory 2015 GE manifesto. She clearly stated that a vote for the Tories was:

...a once in a generation opportunity in our grasp….no, let’s go so far as to call it a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Cameron said similar:

Labour and the SNP are on “the same side†in  a “coalition of chaos†and Scotland has a “once in a lifetime opportunity†to back the Conservatives, the Prime Minister and his Scottish party leader has warned.

Which presumably means they'll never stand again in Scotland, at least for a lifetime?

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'm not sure if it was said elsewhere but I'm sure the reference to "once in a generation" was made by Alex Salmond alongside the context of "but that's only my opinion" (or words roughly to that effect). Nowt like taking something completely out of context.

I believe what he actually said was...

“That’s my view. This is a once in a generation opportunity, perhaps even a once in a lifetime, opportunity for Scotland."

It may be nitpicking to an extent but for me the important word in there is opportunity.

What I took from that at the time, and still do, was that he didn't think we'd get the chance to hold another referendum for a number of years. That may indeed be the case, time will tell, but it was never intended as a promise.

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted

A year is a long time...

There are now ~60,000 voters in Scotland who've never had the chance to vote on Scotland's constitutional future. A similar number will no longer be with us.

By the end of the next Scottish parliamentary term, the number of completely new voters will comfortably exceed the difference in votes between the two sides and be over double the swing needed to change the result.

This alone is why democracy must be a neverendum.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

So the anniversary of one of Scotland's most saddest day has arrived. A day where fear and lies defeated hope and truth, a day when some Scots betrayed their fellow men and women.

As I have stated before, I have no argument with the like of Doctormog who is a Unionist first and voted accordgingly. For me, the betrayal was those who voted No but saw themselves as Scots first and British second. They were part of the so called silent majority, but why were they silent?, why did they not speak out and defend their vote? The reason they didn't is because they were ashamed of what they did. I mean, who openly admits their a traitor?

Where do we go from here then? I cannot see a Tory Government delivering Devo Max which the majority want. They will continue to push the once in a generation line no matter what the Scottish Government, Scots or even what the Court of Sessions says.

So, Scots will go on whining about the injustice of it all and demanding change from Westminster, which will not come. However, they should not blame David Cameron, Gordon Brown or Alastair Darling, they know who to blame, the Quislings, the traitors of the silent majority.

• Like 1
    Posted

Union day '15 in George Square looks busy.

Couple of shots.

Odd to pick a city that voted to leave the UK to hold your gathering of the 'loyal' in.

post-9421-0-82263400-1442577464_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-29686900-1442577471_thumb.jp

• Like 1
    Posted

Damn. If only they're run with stone idea we'd have had it in the bag!

PROJECT Fear, the new book from journalist Joe Pike is an incredible behind-the-scenes look at Better Together during the referendum campaign.

Pike has managed to speak to people involved in the campaign at all levels. And those sources have not been shy.

“Some of my sources just wanted to get across their side of the story†Pike tells The National. “For others it seemed a more cathartic experience.â€

There is, as yet, no behind the scenes book of the Yes campaign, so it’s hard to truly properly, compare the organisation of the two. But that Better Together managed to achieve quite what they achieved is no small miracle.

The infighting between MPs, MSPs, campaigners, and others is spelled out explicitly in Pike’s book released today.

At one point Gordon Brown tried to run Labour's campaign. He was told no.

“A few months after Better Together’s launch, Brown met Johann Lamont. ‘He slid across the table a letter he had drafted with Johann’s name at the bottom,’ claimed a senior figure. If signed, it would have empowered Brown to act on behalf of Scottish Labour. ‘Johann slid it back.’â€

Even hardened Yes voters might leave the book with a grudging respect for the then Labour leader Lamont. That she managed to lead the Labour Party in Scotland while dealing with so much sniping and attempts by colleagues to undermine her is impressive. No wonder she left in the manner in which she did.

At one point an adviser recommended putting Better Together’s commitment by carving a pledge to further devolution into a giant stone. Lamont kaiboshed the idea, warning that it would look like a massive gravestone. If only Miliband had remembered that advice…

Project Fear is out today on Amazon.

Juicy by the sounds of it. Everything from McDougal's BO causing complaints at the BT office to big stane ideas.
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I don't think I will ever forget the feeling I experienced a year ago, made so much worse by the absolutely  disgusting deception and arrogance of David Cameron the following morning when he confirmed the 'NO' vote.

• Like 1
    Posted

I don't think I will ever forget the feeling I experienced a year ago, made so much worse by the absolutely  disgusting deception and arrogance of David Cameron the following morning when he confirmed the 'NO' vote.

The story of his kid wearing tartan pyjamas was particularly vomit-inducingly insulting. Presumably he ate shortbread before bed, washed down with irn bru, then had porridge for breakfast too. That's what jocks do right?

Anyway, this new 'devo max / federalism / devo super max' (© Better Together) we've got now is great huh!

Thank god we voted No. 

---

The interesting thing is that if you read Pike's book, you'll see that their was a genuine belief on the pro-union side that a defeat in the iref would cause the SNP to collapse into in-fighting. The hardliners would fight with the pragmatists etc...

This would lead to a Labour victory in the GE in Scotland, followed by the SNP being damaged next May, possibly to the extent they lost power.

There was never any real intention to hand over more devolution at all. That only came when they thought that maybe they'd not win, and around the time they were illegally counting postal votes (according to Ruth on TV) which apparently didn't look as good as hoped.

Instead the opposite happened of course. SNP membership surged and Labour + the Libs were annihilated in Scotland, with the union now in greater danger of break up than it was in September last year.

That's what happens if you go for 'project fear' instead of 'project hope'.

Hope always wins over fear in the end.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted

I see the Tories 'lost' in east Ayrshire last night.

Technically it was an SNP hold under STV (which is great for standard elections as it's PR, but a bit of a nightmare for by-elections), but the Tories won the popular vote in the ward last time so just by standing and getting the same again (winning on first preferencs) they should really have won it (by elections under STV have the problem that they strongly tend to favour parties who did well last time).

Threw the kitchen sink at it as it's a rare strong Tory area, but still 'lost' it to the SNP, even with decent number of hardcore unionist backers (presumably) switching from Labour to them.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/another-setback-for-ruth-davidson-as.html

Reallocations went like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18361224/EastAyrByElection.png

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1