Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

Possibly. It's going to be interesting to see what names start popping up for Labour's list vote candidates. I know they are suppose to be decided already, aren't they? But does anyone realistically think they won't be 'manipulated' in light of May's carnage?

Oh, I see from The National that the 'Carmichael Supporter' who started the GoFundMe fundraiser isn't just any old random supporter. She was the election agent for the girly that stood against Salmond in May. She's also a lawyer it says. Well blow me down with a feather and remind me not to employ her if I ever get into trouble (especially if she were to find out I'm a member of the SNP). I know everyone is human, but I'd never have expected such an poorly worded fundraiser to have originated from someone in such a profession.

I hope she looses her license to practice for the alleged blatant attempt at the alleged fraud. The 'comments' section of the fundraiser make for very interesting reading  :closedeyes: Allegedly  :D

Disclaimer: since my comments are purely political and not personal I invoke the 'Carmichael' defence should any or indeed all of the above be held inaccurate - including grammar, speeling and any other sundry  AFFENCES!!!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Well, as expected, Corbyn won leadership of the English Labour party.

Implications could be profound. A bit hard to predict though.

If the shifts to indy in Scotland are too be stemmed at all, Corbyn needs to getting polls showing Labour surging ahead to a clear victory and quick. Also have a well thought out plan for Devo Max in Scotland ready for implementation. That's what saved the union in the mid 1990's and we are back to that situation now.

I can't help but feel that's a really, really big ask though.

EDIT

For reference, this was the Labour poll lead ahead of 1997 that convinced Scotland to stay and go for devolution instead of indy. Indy was of course backed in polls consistently by the mid to late 90's, hence the offer of devolution from Labour to quell this.

1997graph2.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Missed this the other day:

National doesn't beat about the bush with its front covers.

Was pleased to find my local co-op is now stocking it. Plenty of heads turned to consider that headline in the queue for the till.

• Like 1
    Posted

If the shifts to indy in Scotland are too be stemmed at all, Corbyn needs to getting polls showing Labour surging ahead to a clear victory and quick. Also have a well thought out plan for Devo Max in Scotland ready for implementation. That's what saved the union in the mid 1990's and we are back to that situation now.

I can't help but feel that's a really, really big ask though.

Almost spooky if it wasn't totally logical. Just went on the herald after posting the above and...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13716612.Henry_McLeish__Corbyn_should_push_for_Scottish__home_rule__and_stop_Labour_voters_moving_to_SNP/

Henry McLeish: Corbyn should push for Scottish 'home rule' and stop Labour voters moving to SNP

A former Labour Scottish First Minister has urged new UK party leader Jeremy Corbyn to push for "home rule" for Scotland.

Henry McLeish, who led Scottish Labour for a year following the death of inaugural First Minister Donald Dewar in 2000, said Mr Corbyn should work with MSPs to deliver "an alternative to the current position on devolution".

He told BBC News: "If Corbyn does the right thing he can garnish a lot of support in Scotland, stop the haemorrhaging of Labour voters to the SNP, work with us to get an alternative to the current position on devolution, push for home rule.
    Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Are we to get any Indy polls in the Sunday papers tomorrow which would presumably leak or get released tonight?

Edited by NorthernRab
    Posted

Are we to get any Indy polls in the Sunday papers tomorrow which would presumably leak or get released tonight?

I'm not aware of any for tomorrow. There's a Yougov been released which has a statistical tie (48% Y / 52% N). Never been a nice pollster for Yes/the SNP, but even its results show Yes steadily climbing since the May GE. Reports of leading questions designed by the English Times, so care must be taken. Discussed on Scotgoespop.

Not seen tables yet; I only tend to report once I've seen these for a poll.

I did see some people report panelbase polling them (English Sunday Times uses them; the daily version uses Yougov), but no sign of anything.

Anyway, averaging our Face to Face, Telephone and online right now, Yes is ahead by ~52Y / 48 N; post referendum creep continuing and seemingly picking up a bit since the GE. First time poll of polling averages have given this for a long, long time (a decade really).

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

@SkyNewsBreak

Nicola Sturgeon: SNP manifesto for 2016 Scottish Parliament election will include timescale for possible independence referendum

BREAKING: Gordon Brown's heart.

• Like 3
    Posted

SNP manifesto to reveal possible second referendum timetable

She said: "Our manifesto will set out what we consider are the circumstances and the timescale on which a second referendum might be appropriate, but we can only propose.

"It's then for people in Scotland, whether it is in this election or in future elections, to decide whether they want to vote for our manifesto and then if there is in the future another independence referendum, whether that's in five years or 10 years or whenever, it will be down to the people of Scotland to decide whether they want to vote for independence or not.

"So at every single stage this is something that is driven by and decided by the people of Scotland, not by politicians."

Not sure you could say fairer than that.

Odd response from the Tories:

Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson said: "Nicola Sturgeon has now made it clear that she wants to take Scotland back to another referendum, with all the uncertainty and division that entails.
    "This is despite the fact that only last year she promised Scots that last year's referendum would be once in a generation.

Given that they were saying a vote for them in May's GE was a:

Yet as far as I understand it, they're planning to stand in all future elections.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Re. Scottish exports.

Exports are doing better than many predicted. The Index of Manufactured Exports for Scotland shows that in the past year manufacturing export volumes have risen by 2.7% in real terms. :)

Source. Article in the Economist Sept. 12th-18th, A year after the independence referendum, Scotland’s unexpectedly strong economic performance underlines the benefits of union. :(

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21664219-year-after-independence-referendum-scotlands-unexpectedly-strong-economic-performance

• Like 3
    Posted

Aye, you can only export stuff as part of the UK. Everyone knows this.

It's not as if FDI and exports are managed and promoted by the Scottish Government through Scottish Development International* or anything.

-----

*Who have to pay to use UK embassies to promote Scotland, unlike the the DTI who handle the same for England.

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/scotlands-exporting-body-charged-for-promoting-whisky-in-uk-embassies/

Posted

Majority of Scots now think independence is inevitable, says new @Panelbase poll for @SundayTimesScot #indyref2

When all your family back indy in majority apart from your gran, you can understand why people (67% of the electorate) feel this way.

Panelbase is like Yougov I understand; No still narrowly has it / statistical tie, but gap closing steadily through 2015.

So, 2 polls for Yes in clear majority (i.e. something beyond normal MoE), 2 narrowly No / statistical ties. 2 online, 1 face to face, 1 telephone... so a wide range of methods and different panel approaches.

PoP average gives Yes narrowly ahead now (51% Yes / 49% No) following a continued steady but slow climb.

If that pattern was to continue, then Yes could be consistently ahead going into next May's election.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Aye, you can only export stuff as part of the UK. Everyone knows this.

That may be true but that isn't the point of the article. I just posted that snippet because I recall Blitzen asking anout this.

Edited by knocker
    Posted

That may be true but that isn't the point of the article.

Odd that it doesn't mention the far bigger looming threat; an EU exit.

The economic figures themselves show that the Scottish independence referendum boosted the economy if anything.

Posted

Carmichael fundraiser no longer taking donations at less than 11% of target.

http://www.gofundme.com/yh3pe7nc

When you click 'donate' it says:

Donations are Complete!
    The organizer has stopped donations.

I wonder what happened there. Breaking gofundme T&C's?

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Odd that it doesn't mention the far bigger looming threat; an EU exit.

The economic figures themselves show that the Scottish independence referendum boosted the economy if anything.

Not really as I think that is a separate issue although obviously of great importance.

Posted

Not really as I think that is a separate issue although obviously of great importance.

I just found it odd that the conclusion was any good economic news 'is down to being in the union'

The iref saw a huge boost in investment and Scotland out-performing the UK; clearly business didn't see indy as a threat.

Just quickly grabbing an example article from a few months ahead of the vote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/scottish-independence-boost-for-nationalists-as-economy-grows-at-faster-rate-than-rest-of-country-9609276.html

Scottish independence: Boost for nationalists as economy grows at faster rate than rest of country

Being part of the UK is increasingly hurting the SME I work for. UK seen as increasingly hostile to foreigners / foreign investment with ridiculous caps on qualified staff getting visas damaging the oil and gas industry at a time it needs a bit of a break.

But then the economist is known for its anti-Scottish stance!

the-economist_2192486a.jpg

I'm trying to imagine the outcry if a Scottish magazine printed a similar cover using pejorative terms for places in England. 

---

As an aside, polls show independence is supported by a very strong majority of people in work. It's only the retired that don't back it.

Thus businesses in majority back it.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
    Unusual level of honesty from the Leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats.

Independence Referendum One Year OnWillie Rennie: 'The No campaign was dark and secretive ... and Cameron was despicable'

LISTENING to Willie Rennie recall the Better Together campaign is like eavesdropping on a therapy session as he wrestles with a half-buried trauma. The misery simply pours out of him.

The No side was “shambolic in its developmentâ€, groans the Scottish LibDem leader, its output “darkâ€, its operations “secretiveâ€, people’s confidence was “crushed†by the lack of information.

Yes, they won in the end, but how they won “didn’t make us feel very good about itâ€.

Posted

I just found it odd that the conclusion was any good economic news 'is down to being in the union'

The iref saw a huge boost in investment and Scotland out-performing the UK; clearly business didn't see indy as a threat.

Just quickly grabbing an example article from a few months ahead of the vote:

Being part of the UK is increasingly hurting the SME I work for. UK seen as increasingly hostile to foreigners / foreign investment with ridiculous caps on qualified staff getting visas damaging the oil and gas industry at a time it needs a bit of a break.

But then the economist is known for its anti-Scottish stance!

the-economist_2192486a.jpg

I'm trying to imagine the outcry if a Scottish magazine printed a similar cover using pejorative terms for places in England. 

---

As an aside, polls show independence is supported by a very strong majority of people in work. It's only the retired that don't back it.

Thus businesses in majority back it.

I had a funny feeling that the Economist would be anti-Scottish. I've no idea why I thought that.

• Like 2
    Posted

I had a funny feeling that the Economist would be anti-Scottish. I've no idea why I thought that.

LOL. Well, as a proponent of centre-right free market liberalism, based in London and owned by the Rothschilds, you might imagine it's hardly going to be overly friendly to social democratic Scottish nationalism. No publication is politically neutral. 

On the flip side, we have e.g. 

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/

Who do at least clearly state their position on the matter in hand.

Here's what people in business think of indy in Scotland. From the latest MORI poll:

People in work (full and part-time):
    55% Yes
    42% No
    3% DK

Ex DK:
    57% Yes
    43% No

Statistically, in every office in Scotland, a majority back independence. Same if you go to student unions, lectures... to the average gym or swimming pool, in most pubs, bars etc on a Saturday night...

You need to go to retirement homes or bowling clubs to find a lingering sense of Britishness and majority support for the union.*

----

*no offence intended to the older generation...just trying to say it how it is. Probably a reason why people were overly optimistic and feeling a Yes was going to happen. A majority around them backed indy it seemed. However, they were not talking to gran and granddad enough. Better Together new this and targetted them instead with 'You'll loose your pensions' etc. Hence Willie Rennie's guilt etc...

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

No publication is politically neutral. 

On this topic.

From Owen Jones:

https://medium.com/@OwenJones84/my-role-in-the-media-in-months-ahead-35a61d193690

The point I’d make is this. I make my opinions and biases abundantly clear. But there are news journalists who are as opinionated as me, but pretend to be impartial. Indeed news and opinion are extremely blurred in this country. It is often possible to read through a news article about British politics and have a fair guess at the political convictions of the writer. As for the mainstream press as a whole — while, it serves as a very sophisticated de facto political lobbying operation, overwhelmingly promoting the cause of right-wing politics.

• Like 1
    Posted

LOL. Well, as a proponent of centre-right free market liberalism, based in London and owned by the Rothschilds, you might imagine it's hardly going to be overly friendly to social democratic Scottish nationalism. No publication is politically neutral. 

Owned by the Rothschilds? It was recently sold by the Pearson group to the Japanese media group Nikkei  Promise me you will buck up SS. As you are well aware I'm a staunch supporter of independence but I don't think the economics are cut and dried and need careful thought and not a little expertise.

For example Professor Ronald MacDonald of Glasgow University (He is currently the Adam Smith Professor of Political Economy at the Adam Smith Business School) says If Scotland were independent or fiscally autonomous, it would face a budget deficit this year of around 10% of GDP, around twice Britain’s deficit.

Edited by knocker
    • Like 1