Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Congratulations on your new railway, this may be of interest, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34195309

Top 10 most crowded trains 2014

1. 04:22 Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport
    2. 16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
    3. 06:31 Reading to London Paddington
    4. 07:57 London Heathrow to London Paddington
    5. 07:02 Reading to London Paddington
    6. 06:35 Caterham to Victoria Central
    7. 07:24 Brighton to Bedford
    8. 18:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
    9. 07:32 Woking to London Waterloo
    10. 07:02 Woking to London Waterloo

Source: Department for Transport

Lets hope the "Westminster lot" let you open through the rest of the Borders line to Carlisle.

Edited by Rustynailer
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Lets hope the "Westminster lot" let you open through the rest of the Borders line to Carlisle.

Could well happen if the new borders railway proves a success.

Also, the Scottish Government are going to reduce APD when they can. That should hopefully increase flights / destinations to Scottish airports, meaning less need to cross the border to use English airports.

That could help ease congestion on the routes you mention.

APD has seriously damaged the competitiveness of airports the further you go north from London.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Deleted.

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

Could well happen if the new borders railway proves a success.

Also, the Scottish Government are going to reduce APD when they can. That should hopefully increase flights / destinations to Scottish airports, meaning less need to cross the border to use English airports.

What Scotland desperately needs in a railway station at either Glasgow or Edinburgh, if not both.

If I fly into Glasgow or Edinburgh, I need to take a bus/taxi/tram to a mainline station before I can get the train to Dundee, this of course is more expensive and more hassle.

Indeed, I have discovered it is cheaper for me to hire a car, which is exactly green friendly.

It has always annoyed me that when I get the bus/tram to Haymarket from Edinburgh Airport, I then travel back passed the airport perimeter on the way to Dundee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Congratulations on your new railway, this may be of interest, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34195309

Top 10 most crowded trains 2014

• 04:22 Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport
    • 16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
    • 06:31 Reading to London Paddington
    • 07:57 London Heathrow to London Paddington
    • 07:02 Reading to London Paddington
    • 06:35 Caterham to Victoria Central
    • 07:24 Brighton to Bedford
    • 18:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
    • 07:32 Woking to London Waterloo
    • 07:02 Woking to London Waterloo
    Source: Department for Transport

I'm beginning to think that we should just invade from the north and save Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle etc.

• Like 1
    Posted

Neither of the proposed airport rail links that were shelved were particularly good ideas, EARL had lots of unknown risks and would have lengthened journey times for all passengers to/form the North when journey times need to be going in the opposite direction. Edinburgh has a rail connection of sorts now in the tram and as smart ticketing is rolled out on ScotRail there will be through ticketing.

GARL though 'cancelled' actually saw the bulk of the project which was increasing capacity on the existing route to Paisley Gilmour Street  delivered and this has been used to significantly increase the frequency of services, those down the line from PGS would not be happy to lose their well used services for a questionable link to Glasgow Airport. The problem with GARL was using very limited capacity for a service that wouldn't be attractive to the majority of people in Scotland heading to the airport, as services from the North and the principle Edinburgh - Glasgow line come into Queen Street, it would always be quicker to catch the airport bus from Queen Street than transfer to Central Station to get the GARL train. 

The potential to use articulated rolling stock suitable for street running would provide a way to link Queen Street to Central an onwards to the airport, avoiding the terminal capacity issues at Central. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lots of Union Jacks being waved in Scotland today. Nice to see.

Of course,

1) We're polite.

2) We'll take anything if its free, even a Union Flag (<- pedant at work)

3) Bonfire night is coming up soon enough... :whistling:

• Like 3
    Posted

Been looking back at my data and...

Averages currently suggest, for the first time since 1997/98 when we had the dev ref, that a majority of people back indy even with DK's included.

In that TNS poll, the numbers for everyone under sixty five are very impressive, and it's not as good as the MORI one.

Under 65's TNS

52% Yes

36% No

12% DK

=59% Yes ex DK.

73% Yes in the 16-24! Generation Yes is a very apt term!

Tick-tock.

Posted

Been looking back at my data and...

Averages currently suggest, for the first time since 1997/98 when we had the dev ref, that a majority of people back indy even with DK's included.

In that TNS poll, the numbers for everyone under sixty five are very impressive, and it's not as good as the MORI one.

Under 65's TNS

52% Yes

36% No

12% DK

=59% Yes ex DK.

73% Yes in the 16-24! Generation Yes is a very apt term!

Tick-tock.

As I just posted over on ScotGoesPop, it's kind of intriguing given the difference in demographics, that something as random as a cold winter, or bad year for flu could hasten the vote towards Yes. Assuming of course an unfortunate consequential increase in the mortality rate among the elderly.

Posted

Ah dunno.

A mate was at the opening and he said the people of Tweedbank were quietly singing "But we can still rise now, and be a station again..."

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

starve%2Bkids.png

#ToryPriorities

Does Osborne ever think past money! Twit!

Posted

Aye,  we can do polite. I hope the onions will be just as polite when we have the Hope Over Fear rally in George Square on th19th. Sept.

Posted

Aye, Murray is the best man for the job of Labour's Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland.

I mean it's a tough choice, but he alone has the skills needed. Just has to be him, even under Corbyn.

I mean if we consider the alternatives...

Oh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34206960

Scottish Labour MP Ian Murray would serve in a Corbyn-led team

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Neither of the proposed airport rail links that were shelved were particularly good ideas, EARL had lots of unknown risks and would have lengthened journey times for all passengers to/form the North when journey times need to be going in the opposite direction. Edinburgh has a rail connection of sorts now in the tram and as smart ticketing is rolled out on ScotRail there will be through ticketing.

GARL though 'cancelled' actually saw the bulk of the project which was increasing capacity on the existing route to Paisley Gilmour Street  delivered and this has been used to significantly increase the frequency of services, those down the line from PGS would not be happy to lose their well used services for a questionable link to Glasgow Airport. The problem with GARL was using very limited capacity for a service that wouldn't be attractive to the majority of people in Scotland heading to the airport, as services from the North and the principle Edinburgh - Glasgow line come into Queen Street, it would always be quicker to catch the airport bus from Queen Street than transfer to Central Station to get the GARL train. 

The potential to use articulated rolling stock suitable for street running would provide a way to link Queen Street to Central an onwards to the airport, avoiding the terminal capacity issues at Central. 

I don't know much about the ins and outs of railway construction and running trains so I'll ask this question with the caveat of "please forgive me if this is a really thick question": Could Glasgow Airport not be linked to the railway network both north and south of the Clyde with one side linked to the south as per the original plans, and the other side linked under/over the Clyde to the railway which goes through Partick and Queen Street? I know it would cost a lot more to put in place but you're then opening up access to a whole new level.

Posted

I see some of Carmichael 'constituents' who erm, live in Aberdeenshire have started a fundraiser to cover his court fees (to counter the fundraiser to take him to court organised by people who actually live in Orkney and Shetland).

They know he only needs to pay fees if he's found guilty right?

• Like 1
    Posted

I see Theresa May has got stuck into Police Scotland to distract from her real message that there are going to be further swinging cuts to police numbers in England. Since she has been Home Secretary there have been 15,000 police officers lost in England, with an estimate of 20,000 more to go from the new round of spending cuts. That hardly fits with her basis for bashing Police Scotland that mergers and reorganisations can't generate savings, only reduces resources for front line services when it is Police Scotland that is maintaining numbers.

Indeed to match the Scottish Government's 1000 additional officers since the SNP took office in 2007, Theresa May would have needed to have added around 10,000 officers, so by the time the latest cuts kick in the discrepancy between HM Govt and Scottish Government policy will be equivalent of 45,000 police officers in England and around 4000 in Scotland!

Posted

I see some of Carmichael 'constituents' who erm, live in Aberdeenshire have started a fundraiser to cover his court fees (to counter the fundraiser to take him to court organised by people who actually live in Orkney and Shetland).

They know he only needs to pay fees if he's found guilty right?

That was my first thought too i.e do they expect him to lose the case? The case has been heard after all, his costs have already largely been incurred. He doesn't need a fundraiser now to ensure he can defend himself.

Then I went and looked for the fundraiser and oh my god....

Help Alistair and stop the SNP

Everyone in the Northern Isles knows someone who Alistair has helped, and he has fought so hard for his constituents.

During the election he made a mistake which the SNP has blown out of all proportion. They are using a vague law to try and overturn the election result, even though what he did is not related at all to his hard work on behalf of his constituents. This is nothing more than a ruthless attempt by the SNP to eliminate any remaining opposition to them in Scotland. Alistair is a fantastic local MP, and we need to stand up for him now.

He has told me that his defence will cost £50,000. That’s a lot of money.

Please donate what you can and help stop the SNP witch hunt. This is an attack, plain and simple. Alistair deserves to be an MP.

Thank you

Nothing less than an anti-SNP rant. Breaks GoFundMe's own rules on 'Fraud' too since the legal case has nothing to do with the SNP. I'll bet it gets pulled, followed by claims that 'a big cybernat reported my funding campaign and ran away'.

By all means, raise the money if they want, but do it honestly.

Posted

Breaks GoFundMe's own rules on 'Fraud' too...

You'd think so. I'm not sure GoFundMe was set up to collect money to the fund court costs of people found guilty of offences in a court of law, before we even get to the fact the case is nothing to do with the SNP.

Posted

You'd think so. I'm not sure GoFundMe was set up to collect money to the fund court costs of people found guilty of offences in a court of law, before we even get to the fact the case is nothing to do with the SNP.

What is considered fraud on GoFundMe

A campaign organizer may be committing fraud if:

1. They are intentionally including factually incorrect information on their campaign.
    They have not used the funds that were raised for the stated purpose within a reasonable amount of time. They are impersonating someone else or have copied a campaign that already exists on GoFundMe.

Well it certainly falls foul of rule 1 as there's no doubt the description includes factually incorrect information. Will fall foul of rule 2 as well if Carmichael wins and is awarded costs, as it doesn't state what will happen to the money raised in that eventuality.

Not necessarily a bad idea, just abysmally implemented!

Posted

Is this the start of an exodus of Labour MSPs who stand down rather than loose their seats at the ballot box next May?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34217722

Or is Kez making way for SLAB Ex MPs to become potential constituency and list fodder MSPs at Holyrood?

Posted

Or is Kez making way for SLAB Ex MPs to become potential constituency and list fodder MSPs at Holyrood?

Possibly. It's going to be interesting to see what names start popping up for Labour's list vote candidates. I know they are suppose to be decided already, aren't they? But does anyone realistically think they won't be 'manipulated' in light of May's carnage?

Oh, I see from The National that the 'Carmichael Supporter' who started the GoFundMe fundraiser isn't just any old random supporter. She was the election agent for the girly that stood against Salmond in May. She's also a lawyer it says. Well blow me down with a feather and remind me not to employ her if I ever get into trouble (especially if she were to find out I'm a member of the SNP). I know everyone is human, but I'd never have expected such an poorly worded fundraiser to have originated from someone in such a profession.