Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

So the PM "will look at" delivering greater powers than The Smith Report but is against FFA.

Clearly, he hasn't quite grasped democracy then. It doesn;t matter what he thinks, its what the Scottish people demand in majority that counts.

Stop dithering Dave and get on with it.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Conservative UK PM to Scotland:

"Scotland: we don't want you to have full fiscal autonomy as we believe that would mean you would need to make cuts to welfare / shrink the size of the state, which is obviously not our fundamental ideology, honestly".

Something funny here no?

• Like 7
    Posted

Conservative UK PM to Scotland:

"Scotland: we don't want you to have full fiscal autonomy as we believe that would mean you would need to make cuts to welfare / shrink the size of the state, which is obviously not our fundamental ideology, honestly".

Something funny here no?

Yes I saw his comments, apparently he's worried about the Scots and doesn't want them to suffer! Although his policies delivered by the Angel of Death will do that in the rest of the UK. And amazingly he now wants Scots to play a full part in Westminster after spending most of the campaign telling everyone that the SNP were second class citizens and should have no voice.

I really think that tv companies should now give warnings before they show DC speaking, like they do with those flashing lights warnings for epilepsy but in this case warn that you might need a sickbag in case the nausea becomes overwhelming!

• Like 2
    Posted

Yes I saw his comments, apparently he's worried about the Scots and doesn't want them to suffer! Although his policies delivered by the Angel of Death will do that in the rest of the UK. And amazingly he now wants Scots to play a full part in Westminster after spending most of the campaign telling everyone that the SNP were second class citizens and should have no voice.

I really think that tv companies should now give warnings before they show DC speaking, like they do with those flashing lights warnings for epilepsy but in this case warn that you might need a sickbag in case the nausea becomes overwhelming!

Caring Dave meets we Jimmy:

Please sir, can you 'subsidise' my spare room? It's for my disabled mother's carer to use.

No bloody way peasant scrounger!

Ok then, how about the whole country? (Sorry for giving you two fingers at the ballot box all the time by the way)

Of course! No problem old chap!

:unknw:

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

National now doing a saturday edition.

Alongside the Sunday Herald, we now have a pro-indy paper on news stands every day of the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-32760192

Pro-independence paper The National to publish on Saturdays

Scotland's pro-independence daily newspaper is to publish six days a week from now on.

The National, which was launched ahead of last year's Scottish independence referendum, had previously been available from Monday to Friday.
    It printed its first Saturday edition a week ago, after the general election.

The paper's editor, Richard Walker, said the response had been so good they had decided to continue with the weekend edition.

He said the management team behind The National had certain expectations when it was launched, and the paper had exceeded those.

And in other news, Jim is facing the Branch Office executive committee today to learn his fate.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Murphy remains as Scottish Labour Leader!   Can't make up my mind if it's good news or bad news.   (I suspect good news.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/scotland_politics

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

Are Jim Murphy and Nigel Farage having some sort of competition to see who can come out of the post election period looking the bigger pillock?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Are Jim Murphy and Nigel Farage having some sort of competition to see who can come out of the post election period looking the bigger pillock?

Loser's Syndrome © HC   :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well,   didn't even have time to get the popcorn in!

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted

So the union 'narrowly survived' the referendum according to the BBC.

Here was me thinking it was a decisive, once in a lifetime result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32760196

It comes despite Mr Murphy narrowly surviving a vote of no confidence at a meeting of the party's national executive in Glasgow...

...He insisted he had decided to stand down ahead of the national executive voting by 17-14 [55% to 45%] in favour of him staying in the job.

• Like 5
    Posted

Did anyone see whether branch office HQ had a revolving door?

Surely Deputy Dug won't get the gig?

Posted

I wonder who would lead Better Together Part Deux in a future iref?

It's just that unionist party 'big guns' are getting a bit thin on the ground now.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Today's UK Yougov for the Sunday Times.

Bit of a difference of opinion going on.

Thinking about Ed Miliband's time as leader of the Labour party, do you think he...

Scottish respondents:

39% Did not take the Labour party far enough to the left politically

24% Took the Labour party too far to the left politically

8% Got the balance about right

England and Wales respondents:

32% Took the Labour party too far to the left politically

20% Did not take the Labour party far enough to the left politically

12% Got the balance about right

---

And looking forward, do you think the next leader of the Labour party should...

Scottish respondents:

39% Try to take the Labour party towards the left politically

36% Try to take the Labour party towards the centre politically

3% Try to keep the Labour party where it currently is politically

England and Wales respondents:

40% Try to take the Labour party towards the centre politically

19% Try to take the Labour party towards the left politically

6% Try to keep the Labour party where it currently is politically

Scotland wants a more left of centre Labour, England and Wales wants them to move to the right. I don't think we need to guess which path Labour will take.

---

This doesn't look good for those advocating the union either:

How likely or unlikely do you think it is that Labour will be able to win the next general election in five years time?

Scottish respondents

44% Unlikely

29% Likely

Same values for E&W.

So right now the most common view is that it's the Tories for at least 10 years. This is likely to influence elections next year for Holyrood and what goes in manifestos.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1

Quite a comical scene this morning on the Andrew Marr show, whilst reviewing the Sunday papers. Andrew Marr brought up the subject of Jim Murphy and how popular he was amongst Blairite supports, the unions and media, the lady reviewing the papers (sorry didn't catch her name), answered he isn't popular with the people and that's what counts (or words to that effect)....tumbleweed moment, then moving on....Made me giggle. Maybe, just maybe, the BBC will eventually accept their man Jim Murphy is a failure and now history.

• Like 3
    Posted

Survation poll results reported in the Sunday Times.

Majority of Scots think independence will come within a decade.

72% of Scots think independence is inevitable.

73% of Scots favouring major further devolution, including to regions of England, with just 13% opposed.

Those last two figures match well with the 1997 devoref result (74% Yes) and are, on balance, just shy of the 74% which pick 'Scottish' in forced choice national identity; British (17%) being the other option.

The majority who believe indy will occur within a decade are likely predominantly those who support independence. I don't know if this poll asked the Y/N question, but two UK subsample polls since the GE put Yes ahead.

post-9421-0-54993900-1431859361_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
    72% of Scots think independence is inevitable.

...and if that was a major concern and a deep seated worry for the people of Scotland, they'd  have been countering it by voting in Unionist MPs earlier this month. The fact is that of the 55% who voted no, only a fairly small minority share Labour's contempt for the idea of Scotland being independent, the concept of Scotland being an independent nation has been by and large normalised, that's perhaps the most important thing from 18th September.

Genuine DevoMax will buy some time for the Union, but only an utter wholesale change of the UK structures of government might possibly steam the tide of time, there's no evidence whatsoever that the Westminster system is capable of such change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

...and if that was a major concern and a deep seated worry for the people of Scotland, they'd  have been countering it by voting in Unionist MPs earlier this month. The fact is that of the 55% who voted no, only a fairly small minority share Labour's contempt for the idea of Scotland being independent, the concept of Scotland being an independent nation has been by and large normalised, that's perhaps the most important thing from 18th September.

Genuine DevoMax will buy some time for the Union, but only an utter wholesale change of the UK structures of government might possibly steam the tide of time, there's no evidence whatsoever that the Westminster system is capable of such change.

The problem with these kind of stats is that simply believing something is inevitable does not equate to wanting something to happen. I believe I will die at some point in the next 40 years, but it doesn't mean I want it to happen.

Posted

The problem with these kind of stats is that simply believing something is inevitable does not equate to wanting something to happen. I believe I will die at some point in the next 40 years, but it doesn't mean I want it to happen.

Of course.

However, wisdom of crowd polls have proven remarkably accurate. They are in effect based on people's perceptions of what is going to happen based on talking to friends, family, colleagues etc.

Right now if you are an elderly person, chances are your half or more of your children voted Yes and your grand children are very pro indy. So, when asked if you believe indy is inevitable, even though you support the union and are clinging on to memories of old Labour, you say yes. After all, it is only one generation - the over 65's - which still back the union.

There is also of course the perception that the more powers Scotland gets, the more it drifts to indy. So people are not necessarily thinking of another nail biting iref, but possibly just some formality in the future as per e.g. Australia and New Zealand. Every power that Holyrood takes control of unwinds the union that little bit more / makes Scotland less British. Devo max would not save the union, just make Scotland's departure slower and more orderly.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

That's quite a story in today's Herald on Trident, a catastrophe waiting to happen..

Imagine the RN will proceed with a swift rebuttal in the coming days, but still alarming nonetheless.

• Like 1
    Posted

That's quite a story in today's Herald on Trident, a catastrophe waiting to happen..

Imagine the RN will proceed with a swift rebuttal in the coming days, but still alarming nonetheless.

Aye, BBC reporting it too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32771925

Navy probes leaked Trident safety claims

The Royal Navy is to investigate claims that security and safety procedures around the Trident nuclear submarines are inadequate.

The investigation was launched after the claims were made by a submariner who has gone on the run.

Able Seaman William McNeilly alleged the Trident programme was a "disaster waiting to happen."

The Royal Navy said that the submarine fleet operated "under the most stringent safety regime."

In an internet post, Mr McNeilly said he was an Engineering Technician Submariner who was on patrol with HMS Victorious this year.

He has written an 18-page report, called The Secret Nuclear Threat, detailing what he claims are serious security and safety breaches on board the vessel...

Posted

Well, lots of talk about unions breaking links with Labour. Even motions being put forward that some back / affiliate more with the SNP.

Given that union money is what's keeping Labour afloat, this is serious. 

With Labour in trouble financially UK-wide, I can't see London pouring more money north ahead of Holyrood 2016. After all, they just wasted a hell of a lot in the Better Together and GE campaigns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32777771

Unite union 'to debate Labour link'

The Unite union is expected to debate ending its link with Labour when it meets for its July conference, the BBC understands.

Unite general secretary Len McCluskey has suggested ending financial support for Labour depending on the result of the party's leadership election.

But Labour's acting leader, Harriet Harman, said she did not think Unite would end its Labour affiliation.

She said new rules would ensure "the choice of the Labour Party" wins.

Unite sources say they expect motions to be tabled by English and Scottish branches, according to Norman Smith, BBC assistant political editor.

Many SNP-supporting Unite members are questioning the exclusive tie-ins with Labour, he said, adding: "This critical issue is now becoming interwoven with the whole debate about who is going to take over leadership of the Labour Party."...

Edited by scottish skier