Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

If the SNP do hold the balance of power, they should all just go for a pint in the pub. Turn phones off. Put 'out of office' messages on e-mail. Wait a few weeks...

In the end, they don't want power in Westminster. It's a necessary evil for them.

It won't be like Clegg near wetting himself over the prospect of a Damlier anyway.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Yea - it's one thing declaring a government is one thing but keeping it going is another.

Posted

That was an impressive political balancing act Sturgeon put on yesterday.

2806B13100000578-0-image-m-131_143006775

(I'll get my coat).

EDIT

I bet she could have done that eating a bacon roll at the same time.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

And in other news...

Party which used to support proportionally representative 'liberal democracy' advocates voting for parties you don't support under FPTP.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/willie-rennie-why-scots-should-vote-tactically.123924166

Willie Rennie: why Scots should vote tactically

It used to be the political pitch that dared not speak its name. In elections of yore, politicians instinctively shied away from suggesting we leave our principles at the door of the polling station. It smacked of desperation to say to people: "We know you don't like us, but vote for us anyway, because you like the other lot less."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

That was an impressive political balancing act Sturgeon put on yesterday.

2806B13100000578-0-image-m-131_143006775

(I'll get my coat).

EDIT

I bet she could have done that eating a bacon roll at the same time.

Please don't spoil it with a bacon roll... How about knitting socks for the Republican Guard?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Apologies in advance for the blasphemy but Christ Almighty...

Scottish voting intentions for the May 2015 UK general election (TNS, 1st-19th April) :

SNP 54% (+2)
    Labour 22% (-2)
    Conservatives 13% (n/c)
    Liberal Democrats 6% (n/c)
    Greens 2%  (-1)
    UKIP 2% (+1)

Posted

Astonishing figures from TNS. 32% lead and Labour think the solution is to be more negative !

How does Labour think warning that a vote for the SNP is a vote for an IndyRef is a smart move in a city that voted Yes!!! They've lost it totally, very close eye needed on postal ballots next Thursday I susupect !!

• Like 1
    Posted

Scottish voting intentions for the May 2015 UK general election (TNS, 1st-19th April) :

SNP 54% (+2)

Labour 22% (-2)

Conservatives 13% (n/c)

Greens 2%  (-1)

UKIP 2% (+1)

Holy s**t.

I go out with the mother in law to dobbies for a couple of hours and this happens.

Maybe all that talk of tactical voting is having an effect? The above is more what Yougov got when people were prompted for tactical. :wink:

---

EDIT. I suspect that poll will push Prof C's PoP to the 50% mark. I wonder if he'll try and do something to stop that...

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Holy s**t.

I go out with the mother in law to dobbies for a couple of hours and this happens.

We could always force you to stay at Dobbies until May 8th, with or without the mother in law!

The only slight 'worry' about that poll is the dates.

Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't think Gordon will be able to claim saving the union this time.....More like he's crucified it!

Article shows him up for the complete liar that he is and the same goes for Murphy too.

post-1989-0-60280000-1430132295_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 1
    Posted

TNS also asked: who will try to get best deal for Scotland at WM

All respondents:

Sturgeon 42%,

Murphy 8%,

Cameron 7%

Salmond 6%

Miliband 3%

Posted

SNP 54% (+2)

Labour 22% (-2)

Conservatives 13% (n/c)

Greens 2%  (-1)

UKIP 2% (+1)

Alex Salmond's resignation speech springs to mind when he mentioned the Scottish people holding Westminster's "feet to the fire" on whether they felt that "The Vow" had been delivered.

It would appear not.

Posted
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)

We could always force you to stay at Dobbies until May 8th, with or without the mother in law!

The only slight 'worry' about that poll is the dates.

Face to face polling takes longer, so TNS polls are usually nearly out of date when released. Quite a high number of undecideds still on that one, and given more recent polls have us around 48-50% (which is still probably enough for us to take every seat bar Orkney and Shetland) I'm inclined to think that there is a bit of a 'shy Labour' effect going on with the face to face polling, although as with the last one another reason for the high number of undecideds is that the sample includes a very high number of won't votes from last time.

Posted

If people really were reduced to being shy about voting Labour in Scotland, then they really are finished.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

TNS also asked: who will try to get best deal for Scotland at WM

All respondents:

Sturgeon 42%,

Murphy 8%,

Cameron 7%

Salmond 6%

Miliband 3%

Makes you wonder what the referendum result might have been with Nicola in charge of the SNP rather than Alex? Yes, I know that the YES campaign was separate from the SNP, but I have been thinking quite a bit recently that Alex might have been more divisive than we realised.

With every day that passes I try to read the press with an open mind. I try to approach every article with an attitude of "this one will know what he/she is writing about". Then we get more utter drivel like this from the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/91ca04e8-ea77-11e4-a701-00144feab7de.html#axzz3YVe5fafJ

The graphic with the article shows a timeline which includes the "fact" that apparently the referendum in 2014 was a "second referendum".

I do like this quote:

The referendum vote for union should have been decisive, adds the lobby group’s chairman John Duff. “The SNP are disrespectful of the settled will of the Scottish people,†he says.

Get over yourself Mr Duff! Seriously buddy. No one is forcing approx 45-52% of the population to vote SNP. We've moved on from eight months ago with a lot of momentum and if you can't accept that then that's your problem.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    Posted

Makes you wonder what the referendum result might have been with Nicola in charge of the SNP rather than Alex? Yes, I know that the YES campaign was separate from the SNP, but I have been thinking quite a bit recently that Alex might have been more divisive than we realised.

I don't think that number reflects on Salmond, more that the electorate now see Nicola as the one in charge. 

Which of course renders continued attacks on Salmond pointless.

Oh, and the poll only allowed you to select one name. You couldn't pick Salmond and Sturgeon.

----

EDIT

The magic number.

Guess the prof couldn't nudge it down this time...

Slide110.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

If people really were reduced to being shy about voting Labour in Scotland, then they really are finished.

I don't think they are shy about saying they are voting Labour but being perceived as being Unionist. So there could be an element of folk saying they are voting SNP even though they are not, so that they not branded Quisling's etc..

There was definetly an element of this in the referendum, particularly on social media.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

I don't think they are shy about saying they are voting Labour but being perceived as being Unionist. So there could be an element of folk saying they are voting SNP even though they are not, so that they not branded Quisling's etc..

There was definetly an element of this in the referendum, particularly on social media.

The SNP will send death squads to kill anyone who says they won't vote for them, that is what proper Nazis do after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I have literally never once in my life heard the word "guisling" being used except from politics threads / discussions on Twitter. 

Posted

The SNP will send death squads to kill anyone who says they won't vote for them, that is what proper Nazis do after all.

I think they'd said b o l l o c k s to voting before they got seriously into death squads...

Edited by Hairy Celt
    Posted

No shy unionists down here in the borders that's for sure.

Farmer down the valley has replaced his 'Better Together' field sign with a 'Lamont' one now.

Still can't understand why, with every newspaper (bar a couple) and channel on your side you'd feel the need to be shy.

Polling evidence from the iref said Yes were shy if there was any shyness going on; hence MORI and TNS which are non-anonymous only caught up (with online) right at the end.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

No shy unionists down here in the borders that's for sure.

Farmer down the valley has replaced his 'Better Together' field sign with a 'Lamont' one now.

Still can't understand why, with every newspaper (bar a couple) and channel on your side you'd feel the need to be shy.

Polling evidence from the iref said Yes were shy if there was any shyness going on; hence MORI and TNS which are non-anonymous only caught up (with online) right at the end.

peer pressure apparentky don't ask me how it works but that's the reason

Posted

peer pressure apparentky don't ask me how it works but that's the reason

Aye, when I was polled by MORI (who got 52% SNP the last two times they polled), the English lady on the phone made me ashamed to say SNP.*

Must be terrifying having someone from TNS sitting with you while you fill in the poll on a tablet PC privately with them just there to help if you need it.#

---

*This isn't true. She was English, but was really nice and didn't chastise me for my VI.

#TNS do chap your door - it's just how they try to get a proper, random demographic sample - but what you answer is private. 

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

What's causing the recent SNP rise seems to be the ladies.

This happened in 2011. Men moved to SNP first, then ladies in the last month taking them to landslide.

This poll has:

Men

51% SNP

Women

53% SNP

Historically, men were always that bit more SNP than women.

Maybe the Nicola effect.

---

Oh, that and the over 55s are going SNP away from Tory (Labour VI not changing here).

Maybe the Dave 'You scots steal folks wallets' campaign in action.

--

Also, the future:

18-24

68% SNP

10% Green

What's great too is that this lot are answer polls now. No up-weighting required which used to be a problem for this group. Suggests strong engagement.

---

And for HC:

43% SNP in AB (wealthiest)

53% C1

55% C2

52% DE (poorest)

Only the pretty well off not liking the SNP as much as everyone else.

--- 

Glasgow:

62% SNP

17% Labour

Used to be the other way around in many seats...

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

I don't know. I just look at the polls at worry that something is going to go wrong. Until the first result comes in on May 8th, I won't relax.

• Like 1