Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

I think grammar matters, that way it doesn't matter how broad you are you can still express yourself properly. I used to have a friend who liked to be "proper" and "not common" - but she reduced me to hysterics sometimes. This wee affected Hyacinth Bucket voice mincing out her words  and saying things like "yes we done it " and "I didn't know ducks flyed"...

Agree with SS that some really broad Borderers like old herds etc, are a joy to listen to.

Can I ask who Skye currently/usually vote for? 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Agree with SS that some really broad Borderers like old herds etc, are a joy to listen to.

The old gent I mentioned was a traditional stonemason / drystane dyke builder.

Charles Kennedy is defending his seat which covers Skye. I used to have a reasonable degree of respect for him, less so these days (and nothing to do with his problems with the booze I might add).

MSP is SNP as of 2011, although the boundaries are different.

---

SW - you need to understand the difference between an accent and a language. My wife speaks and writes English with a high degree of skill; better than many natives. However, she still has a very distinct French accent when doing so. The old gent I mentioned was speaking Border Scots. It is recognised regional dialect of Lowland Scots. Sure it is similar to English, particularly Northumbrian Old English, but he wasn't just speaking English with a Scots accent like someone Irish speaks English with an Irish lilt.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Ah I used to like him too, don't know why the LibDems got rid of him - the party took a nose dive after that. I thought he might defect to the SNP.

Posted

Brown making another first major intervention into Scottish politics. New 'Vows' on offer.

Things must be getting desperate.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/brown-appeals-to-scots-patriotism-in-a-bid-to-revive-labours-failing-c.124271568

Brown appeals to Scots' patriotism in a bid to revive Labour's failing campaign

GORDON Brown will today make an impassioned appeal to voters' sense of patriotism as he attempts to fire up Scottish Labour's failing election campaign.

patriotbroon1.jpg

Bloody nationalist. All that patriotism / proud Scottish northbritishness stuff.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ah, now it's 'Vote Labour, get Tory' I see...

Labour to call on Michael Heseltine if it wins election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/24/labour-to-call-on-michael-heseltine-if-it-wins-election?CMP=share_btn_tw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Brown making another first major intervention into Scottish politics. New 'Vows' on offer.

Things must be getting desperate.

The big question is though, desperate enough to actually expose himself to actual ordinary voters, or just another room full of specially picked Labour supporters? Edited by Ravelin
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Brown wouldn't know 'Scottish Patriotism' if it jumped up and bit him on the erse!   Despicable man.

• Like 3
    Posted

Brown wouldn't know 'Scottish Patriotism' if it jumped up and bit him on the erse!   Despicable man.

It's easy. You just put on a Scotland top, get yourself a bottle of irn bru, and change your website address to .scot.

Anyway, according to Gordon nearly half the electorate are not true Scots. 

I'm just trying to imagine the 'nazi' squeals from the press if Sturgeon had said 'Vote SNP to be a true, patriotic Scot'.

• Like 1
    Posted

If Sturgeon organised a press photoshoot with that on I'd most definitely cringe!

Likewise if the Scottish government changed their web address opportunistically rather than to match the country specific domain when it became available.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

It's easy. You just put on a Scotland top, get yourself a bottle of irn bru, and change your website address to .scot.

Anyway, according to Gordon nearly half the electorate are not true Scots. 

I'm just trying to imagine the 'nazi' squeals from the press if Sturgeon had said 'Vote SNP to be a true, patriotic Scot'.

Don't mention Irn Bru as I think there latest advert absolute juvenile drivel.

Posted

Don't mention Irn Bru as I think there latest advert absolute juvenile drivel.

Eh, I thought most of them were.

Posted

I have a stinkin hangover this am and could murder an ice cold can of Irn Bru.

Things continue to tick alongnicely for the SNP oonslaught.

I wonder what the MSM will through at the SNP this coming week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I have a stinkin hangover this am and could murder an ice cold can of Irn Bru.

Things continue to tick alongnicely for the SNP oonslaught.

I wonder what the MSM will through at the SNP this coming week?

As a total off-topic aside, I've been off the sauce for 15 days, walked 10 miles a day and feel pretty good.

One thing I will say about abstaining from alcohol is this: you'll always feel good, but you'll never feel amazing.

• Like 1
    Posted

As a total off-topic aside, I've been off the sauce for 15 days, walked 10 miles a day and feel pretty good.

One thing I will say about abstaining from alcohol is this: you'll always feel good, but you'll never feel amazing.

I've been off it for 18 months and I sure as hell can't walk 2 miles let alone 10. In fact I've become quite doddery.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I think grammar matters, that way it doesn't matter how broad you are you can still express yourself properly. I used to have a friend who liked to be "proper" and "not common" - but she reduced me to hysterics sometimes. This wee affected Hyacinth Bucket voice mincing out her words  and saying things like "yes we done it " and "I didn't know ducks flyed"...

Can I ask who Skye currently/usually vote for? 

Our long term Pal Charlie Kennedy has held his seat up here for a squillion years it seems. However, his coat is on what I can only describe as a very shaky peg. His campaign has been soooooo negative, just the usual name calling and slagging off of other candidates. If he gets back in it will be with a vastly reduced minority.

• Like 2
    Posted

The outright hypocrisy of the MSM in Scotland is reaching new extremes... the articles on Wings over Scotland showing up various spreads from today's papers are well worth a quick look at. However the Sun takes the biscuit, raving about the SNP cybernats, quite possibly actionable misrepresentation of an SNP candidates tweets and then in the same edition launchs a 2 page character assassination of Nicola Sturgeon. 

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/juxtaposed.jpg

Edited by skifreak
    Posted

If you are still unsure who to vote for on may 7th, keep this in mind.

The Daily Mail hates Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP more than any other leader / party.

Simply opening a recent copy will cover your face in spittle.

For me that would be good enough reason alone to vote for a party.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The Day Pail of S****e is of course one of the most disgusting, xenophobic, sexist, bigoted, deluded, unkind and intellectually challenged papers there is, but this is a new notch in their tw*t belt. 

Edited by NorthernRab
    • Like 2
    Posted

Glasgow City Council switched off the George Square Webcam! Truly pathetic... I bet neither Nicola this morning or George Square will get the coverage Jim Murphy's little huddle of labour members got the other day!

Posted

The webcam is working fine for me. Looks like a much nicer day there than here. Lots of Saltires too (and maybe even a can of Irn Bru visible in the distance! ;). )

Edited by doctormog
    Posted

Have you got a link - its not working on the council website since before 10am, tried it in different browsers too. Just a broken image icon.

Posted

Same link I was using, was working early on but now dead! Odd.

It was working when I posted my first reply. If there is a lot of interest perhaps the webcam server is overloaded?

Edited by doctormog