Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted

OFGS.

From wikileaks.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/111867

Background/Briefing for PM Cameron Event

Email-ID 111867
    Date 2014-06-28 16:39:58
    From [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>
    Attached Files
    # Filename Size
    17768 EAS 368B

Background/Briefing for PM Cameron Event

Michael and Andrea,

From a SPE perspective, your meeting with Prime Minister Cameron on Monday will likely focus on our overall investment in the U.K. – with special emphasis on the jobs created by TOMMY COOPER, the importance of OUTLANDER (i.e., particularly vis-à-vis the political issues in the U.K. as Scotland contemplates detachment this Fall), and the growth of our channels business with the acquisition of CSC Media Group this week position us as the 5th largest commercial broadcaster.   Even relative to our colleagues/competitors, I think our story is unique and special (because of the size, scope, and recent nature of our investments).

Aye, would have been a Yes of only outlander had been on the telly ahead of the vote. Was very important to delay release until after the iref.

Oh, and this is priceless. Has Murphy completely lost it?

And where would he implement this from, the public gallery? He might not even be an MP come May, never mind an MSP.

Why didn't Ed think of this? He could have been implementing Labour's 2010 manifesto for 5 years now.

post-9421-0-18411800-1429513520_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

How many SNP MPs are currently in Westminster SS? well were until the broke up lol

Posted

How many SNP MPs are currently in Westminster SS? well were until the broke up lol

6/59. From 20% of the vote in 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Has Murphy completely lost it?

For him to have 'lost it' you'd need to assume he 'had it' to start with. He is looking and sounding more and more unhinged as we approach the election, and if Kezia's performance in yesterday's interview is anything to go by I think he's taking her with him.

I saw that interview as I was making lunch and I was transfixed. I think she'd been told "just keep talking, that way they can't ask any more awkward questions". She certainly went at it with gusto, a relentless stream of drivel coming out at 100mph. I was waiting on her passing out after forgetting to pause for breath!

What with Friday's Ashcroft polls backing up the general polling, are we now going to see the main parties largely abandoning Scotland for this GE? From that I mean in terms of getting the 'big hitters' up here, even if only for a few hours. Apart from their time being better spent elsewhere, you could imagine they'd be reluctant to be associated with what looks like being a disaster of immense proportions for the LibDems and more especially Labour. I think even Broon might decide to stay hidden this time round. He's retiring anyway so why risk being associated with a lost cause?

• Like 1
    Posted

Today's political symbolism post.

Anyone for a game of spot the difference?

camflag.jpg

edflags.jpg

Genuinely wondering if this is working towards a grand coalition.

Anyway, damn nationalists. Do nothing but flag wave.

Something of a contrast here?

SNP  manifesto launch.

CDBnehXW0AAfiVL.jpg

stream_img.jpg

The yellow of moderate centre social democratic / social liberalism remains, as usual, dominant.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

SNP  manifesto launch.

CDBnehXW0AAfiVL.jpg

stream_img.jpg

The yellow of moderate centre social democratic / social liberalism remains, as usual, dominant.

And they call us "nationalists"!!??? Really?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

And they call us "nationalists"!!??? Really?

I tried to post a long bit last week about flag-waving and conflicts between countries but it got trashed by my browser before I could send it....

The gist of it was that if the SNP could moderate their nationalist character, people south of the border would lose some, perhaps most of their antipathy.  And those in Scotland like me who can see the social, political and economic benefits of independence but really don't like the peddling of the Wallace and Bruce mythology and all the rest, would come streaming in. Promise. That's the truth. I don't want us to become the late 21st century Balkans.

Posted

I tried to post a long bit last week about flag-waving and conflicts between countries but it got trashed by my browser before I could send it....

The gist of it was that if the SNP could moderate their nationalist character, people south of the border would lose some, perhaps most of their antipathy.  And those in Scotland like me who can see the social, political and economic benefits of independence but really don't like the peddling of the Wallace and Bruce mythology and all the rest, would come streaming in. Promise. That's the truth. I don't want us to become the late 21st century Balkans.

SNP are the least nationalist of the main UK parties at the moment.

'Nationalist' in the sense of cultural / ethnic always gets you high levels of 'authoritarian' on the social scale.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

Civic nationalism on the other hand doesn't.

Hence the SNP are by a country mile the most popular party for e.g. immigrants to Scotland from outside the UK.

SNP are also the first to second most popular party for immigrants to Scotland from the rUK.

Interestingly, the parties that bang on about most about bannockburn, Bruce, Wallace, Braveheart* etc are, well, the unionist parties.

They also do the nationalist flag thing the most, as per my post above about symbolism of respective parties. Nationalism in countries not independent is usually harmless and comes from more the left (to form a nation you need social solidarity) in a push for more autonomy / independence. Nationalism in already independent countries usually from the right/authoritarian. Pretty much exactly what we have in the UK in terms of Scottish vs British nationalism.

--

*Oh, I haven't personally watched Braveheart in years. Although I was planning to vote Tory in this election until I watched Outlander. Now I'm SNP all the way. :)

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Interestingly, the parties that bang on about most about bannockburn, Bruce, Wallace, Braveheart* etc are, well, the unionist parties.

Like so maybe...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/leaked-sony-email-speaks-of-political-importance-of-outlander-to-indyref.123650961

Exclusive: Leaked Sony email speaks of political 'importance' of Outlander to Indyref

The Outlander TV series and its possible impact on the Independence Referendum were raised by Sony executives before a meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron last year.

In the Wikileaks cache of leaked memos from the Sony organisation, an email written by Keith E. Weaver, executive vice president at Sony Pictures Entertainment, which produces Outlander, discusses a meeting with the Prime Minister and in particular mentions the "importance" of the TV series to the political situation last year.

Damn. I'm sure Outlander could have swung a few more ABs in our direction. That and a few pensioners with Claymores tucked away somewhere.

If only <sighs>.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

What was the extent of Gaelic speaking? I'm thinking that down here it was more french linked since the Anglo saxons traded with us etc

(Firstly mods sorry for the continuation of off-topic discussion, but it is relevant to discussions on Gaelic language policy which is a political topic - a lot if folk responded to my little background story so it would be nice to afford them the reply that they deserve given that they took the time to respond to me).

Your area has quite a fascinating linguistic history SW. If there is a historically Gaelic heartland in Lowland Scotland, then it's certainly Dumfries and Galloway. While the language was spoken across all of Scotland during the Middle Ages (only in the south of Lothian was Anglo-Saxon dominant, yet Gaelic was also spoken), D&G was the last place in the south to speak its own unique form of Gaelic, hence 'galloway' which is Scots for the place of the Gaels. The language died out in the early to mid 18th century (there's a Galloway poem that was collected from a bard in N.Uist, so unique is the dialect that a few lines can't even be translated). Dumfries itself comes from Dún Phris meaning the Thicket Fort, with a huge number of Gaelic place names still around throughout the region in Anglicised form.

• Like 2
    Posted

SNP  manifesto launch.

CDBnehXW0AAfiVL.jpg

stream_img.jpg

Noticed this myself SS. Also, the BBC comments page has the foamers out again, so she much be saying something right.

The SNP are playing an absolute blinder here. Moderating their language and appearance to appeal to the English left wing whilst at the same time reinforcing the committment to independence.

The right wing Unionists just don't know how to play her.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Noticed this myself SS. Also, the BBC comments page has the foamers out again, so she much be saying something right.

The SNP are playing an absolute blinder here. Moderating their language and appearance to appeal to the English left wing whilst at the same time reinforcing the committment to independence.

The right wing Unionists just don't know how to play her.

I've noticed the BBC comments have become increasingly right-wing in recent months, it's as if the 'kippers have taken over. Becoming more and more like the specimens you see commenting on Daily Mail articles.

And once again, I find myself wanting to vote for Nicola Sturgeon!

Edited by Nick L
    • Like 3
    Posted

The implication of recent Telegraph articles is that democracy in it's view is that only parties which stand across the UK should contest UK General Elections?

The SNP, which may win around one million votes in an electorate of more than 40 million, will have power to dictate policy in the rest of the UK where it is not represented.

This complete absence of accountability is the antithesis of democracy.

Of course it was always perfectly fine when the boot was on the other foot. The inability of the Scottish electorate to remove Scottish Ministers from power in general election after general election before devolution didn't seem to matter to right wing unionists - their sudden interest in democratic deficits being entirely self serving since this is the system they have supported steadfastly for decades a UK Westminster House of Commons elected by FPTP.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The implication of recent Telegraph articles is that democracy in it's view is that only parties which stand across the UK should contest UK General Elections?

Of course it was always perfectly fine when the boot was on the other foot. The inability of the Scottish electorate to remove Scottish Ministers from power in general election after general election before devolution didn't seem to matter to right wing unionists - their sudden interest in democratic deficits being entirely self serving since this is the system they have supported steadfastly for decades a UK Westminster House of Commons elected by FPTP.

Indeed, sf...And IMO Nicola Sturgeon just announced the best manifesto so far. The only one that would make business subservient to people. Sod the Big Three!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

(Firstly mods sorry for the continuation of off-topic discussion, but it is relevant to discussions on Gaelic language policy which is a political topic - a lot if folk responded to my little background story so it would be nice to afford them the reply that they deserve given that they took the time to respond to me).

Your area has quite a fascinating linguistic history SW. If there is a historically Gaelic heartland in Lowland Scotland, then it's certainly Dumfries and Galloway. While the language was spoken across all of Scotland during the Middle Ages (only in the south of Lothian was Anglo-Saxon dominant, yet Gaelic was also spoken), D&G was the last place in the south to speak its own unique form of Gaelic, hence 'galloway' which is Scots for the place of the Gaels. The language died out in the early to mid 18th century (there's a Galloway poem that was collected from a bard in N.Uist, so unique is the dialect that a few lines can't even be translated). Dumfries itself comes from Dún Phris meaning the Thicket Fort, with a huge number of Gaelic place names still around throughout the region in Anglicised form.

Thank you very much for your post. I was very ignorant on the matter :)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I had both Labour and Lib dem leaflets through the door (it's always by post I never get people delivering or canvassing).

Lib dem - it made it clear it was the Lib dems to be fair. It set out clear policies and what they age already delivered. I actually thought it was a good letter to be honest. Not a hope in Hell of them getting anywhere here but it was a decent letter.

As I've said previously, the Labour letter from Russell Brown was a good one. No 'Only Labour can stop the Tories' lines.

However, the one today was from Gordon Brown. Saviour of te Union is now trying to save Labour it would seem.

It basically said: we created the NHS, it's in ruin right now in Scotland. Only Labour can save it and only Labour can stop the Tories... Such drivel

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Two new Ashcroft polls for Edinburgh South and Edinburgh North & Leith today I see, SNP ahead in both. 

• Like 1
    Posted

I had both Labour and Lib dem leaflets through the door (it's always by post I never get people delivering or canvassing).

Lib dem - it made it clear it was the Lib dems to be fair. It set out clear policies and what they age already delivered. I actually thought it was a good letter to be honest. Not a hope in Hell of them getting anywhere here but it was a decent letter.

As I've said previously, the Labour letter from Russell Brown was a good one. No 'Only Labour can stop the Tories' lines.

However, the one today was from Gordon Brown. Saviour of te Union is now trying to save Labour it would seem.

It basically said: we created the NHS, it's in ruin right now in Scotland. Only Labour can save it and only Labour can stop the Tories... Such drivel

I've been a wee bit surprised at how little has come through the letterbox given how much of knife-edge my constituency is supposedly on. The LibDem stuff has been most common, but only by a nose. We've only had leaflets from the Tories, SNP and the GlibDems. The LibDem stuff has been utter nonsense, the Tory ones have been passable and of course the SNP ones have been perfect. If I'm totally honest the SNP ones have been the best of a bad bunch, but that really doesn't say much at all. All parties could have done a lot better. And who are this "Labour" people keep on about?? :D

Off on a mini-tangent now: I'd love to see some old style electioneering, I can remember from my childhood hearing and seeing the cars with megaphones on their roof, driving around shouting at the streets. Them were the days, before interwebby came along (actually, they weren't 'the days'!!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Two new Ashcroft polls for Edinburgh South and Edinburgh North & Leith today I see, SNP ahead in both. 

Yep,

Edinburgh North & Leith

Con 14 (-1)

LAB 29 (-9)

LD 6 (-28)

SNP 43 (+33)

Other 7 (+3)

Edinburgh South

Con 16 (-6)

LAB 34 (-1)

LD 8 (-26)

SNP 37 (+29)

Other 6 (+4)

Basically the LibDems vote has tanked. Labour surprisingly unchanged in Edin S, unless there's some tactical shenanigans going on.

Catch, I'm being buried with election stuff, mainly from the LibDems as they desperately attempt to hold on to their seat. Funny though how they seem to have dropped the 'Sir' from in front of Robert Smith's name on the later election material.

• Like 2
    Posted

Yep,

Edinburgh North & Leith

Con 14 (-1)

LAB 29 (-9)

LD 6 (-28)

SNP 43 (+33)

Other 7 (+3)

Edinburgh South

Con 16 (-6)

LAB 34 (-1)

LD 8 (-26)

SNP 37 (+29)

Other 6 (+4)

Basically the LibDems vote has tanked. Labour surprisingly unchanged in Edin S, unless there's some tactical shenanigans going on.

Catch, I'm being buried with election stuff, mainly from the LibDems as they desperately attempt to hold on to their seat. Funny though how they seem to have dropped the 'Sir' from in front of Robert Smith's name on the later election material.

Edinburgh South is quite posh.

Has more of a New Labour vote. I suspect some Con have moved to Lab to prop them up as the best to hold off the SNP. That's masking more 'left' Lab to SNP Yessers.

I'll check the 2010 weighting factor out of interest though.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

SNP on 6% UK-wide in today's Ashcroft and ICM UK polls for what it's worth too.

6% from 8.3%* of the population? Waw.

*please correct me if that % for Scotland out of UK population is wrong :D

Posted

6% from 8.3%* of the population? Waw.

*please correct me if that % for Scotland out of UK population is wrong :D

It's a combination of very high SNP in the subsamples with a higher projected turnout in Scotland.

But yes, 6%'s are impressive!

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

2010 weighting removal does push the SNP up to 39% in Edinburgh South.

Does not change the gap over Labour really though. Still tight.

This is because there has been movement from Con to Lab which is masking Lab to SNP.

What is interesting is that all polls are showing a touch of Con to Lab so tactical does seem there a bit. As a result, Con down across the board.

This might yet result in the worst UK GE performance in Scotland for the Tories ever. Possibly their worst election ever if results are below the 13.2% average they got in 2011. Possible given they are averaging 15% lately yet Ashcroft is finding movement away from them and, at least in 2010, they were a point or two over egged at this stage.

...At the same time, would have very little impact on the number of SNP seats won.

Presuming of course polls largely pan out!

I suppose that would show the dangers of tactical voting!

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

For Edinburgh North and Leith, the poll is maybe less of surprise.

Labour seemed to think this one fairly safe due to the high level of support for them in 2011; Labour hold + increase in vote.

Lots of talk of 'popular local candidate'.

However, I had a look historically and well, Malcom Chisholm MSP is popular. Hell, even I quite like him.

However, he's not standing, it's a general election and Mark Lazarowicz is. He lost 12% of his vote over his first term (2001-2005 after he took over from Chisholm) and even the prospect of the Tories coming back in 2010 only gained him a few points tactically. Suggests he's nowhere near as popular as Chisholm is locally.

Edited by scottish skier