Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

SNP to hit 75K over the next 4 days would be my prediction as folks get paid at end of month..

This says it all at the moment for me... Very inclusive from Sturgeon.

post-7292-0-54226900-1411757468_thumb.jp

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

No misunderstanding on my part. An aspiration does not die after a setback. The work goes forward, be that to end an appalling abuse of human rights or failing an exam and resitting it.

I don't think you quite get what the problem is with mentioning things like the fight against apartheid as an example, but nevermind.

• Like 1
    Posted

Anyone able to shed any light on the rumours going around that the Labour Glasgow City Council has banned YesScotland and affiliated groups from George Square this weekend?

Posted
    Scottish Labour MPs who voted against 'no plan' Iraq War Part III:

Dame Anne Begg (Aberdeen South)

Katy Clark (Ayrshire North & Arran)

Ian Davidson (Glasgow South West)

Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith)

Iain McKenzie (Inverclyde)

Why didn't the BBC mention this? Odd, as the above might get a bit of kudos for not towing the party line.

Pretty much the same as the number of SNP MPs that voted against it.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Annie Begg now a Dame, wow I forgot about that SS.

The vote today interested me,two fold, the political hangover of Iraq and was this actually technical support or political maneuvering.

If the UK at any time has a real urgency to enter the arena of war , what does today set by way of a  precedent where potential unilateral immediate action ( PM prerogative nature) always have to go to the house?

Does this not limit UK in times of emergency. I feel this is incredibly important. I am not looking down on Cameron, today's debate is direct progenitor of Blairs folly.

Following this, does this create a risk whereby a UK Gov cannot act in emergency without vote on these matters? Feel that is inherently dangerous at the expense of politicizing the debate and an exit strategy.

Good questions today and also the Syrian border question I feel is one that was not answered and one that will elongate this conflict.

• Like 1
    Posted

Can't help thinking the Scotsman were meanwhile attempting editorial with this tweet...

post-7292-0-86648500-1411762628_thumb.pn

• Like 1
    Posted

A wee video about the Anti independence BBC propaganda before the vote. One thing Scotland certainly needs is its own national broadcaster.

Posted

ISIS - so what would the Nats do? Stand back?

Seems that any action to do with the Brit Parliament is tainted....in Scot Nats eyes.

The people of Scotland would probably learn the lesson of what happens at home whenever we get involved in wars in the middle East, that is, people on the streets here get killed too.

As we have learned over the last twenty years, perpetual war and fear keep the establishment in a job. The Brit Nats of course rush in without thinking supported by there brain washed electorate who can't see passed the BBC propaganda.

The Scots Nats with the benefit of a superior education system and grass roots anti BBC movement know otherwise.

Edited by mountain shadow
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The people of Scotland would probably learn the lesson of what happens at home whenever we get involved in wars in the middle East, that is, people on the streets here get killed too.

As we have learned over the last twenty years, perpetual war and fear keep the establishment in a job. The Brit Nats of course rush in without thinking supported by there brain washed electorate who can't see passed the BBC propaganda.

The Scots Nats with the benefit of a superior education system and grass roots anti BBC movement know otherwise.

I thought Brit(ain) was the name of an island off the northwest coast of Europe?

• Like 2
    Posted

Seems that any action to do with the Brit Parliament is tainted....in Scot Nats eyes.

A great question Bristle Boy - I think we would act to support the UN.

Not tainted, perhaps not examined.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Of course we'd stand back, until the questions were answered (I seem to remember this was an important part of the campaign against independence, "Ooo, there are too many unanswered questions, so we must vote No").

What's the strategy, short-term, medium-term and long-term? Are there clear goals? Targets? Timescales? Is there a real threat? Or is it another "WMD in 45 minute dodgy dossier" case? Who is the enemy? Why are we now bombing an enemy who we wanted to side with last year? Why are we getting involved when there are powerful enough armies already involved against ISIS? Would our armed forces have a greater impact helping out somewhere else in the world? What about the UN? Is this even legal, or is it another 2003? How much is it going to cost, is there a limit to military spending? So many unanswered questions BB, yet we can rush into this without them being answered.

We will all reap what Westminster is going to sow.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

We'd probably take a stance similar to the vast majority of countries around the world i.e. either stay out of it completely or only get involved under the direct request of the UN. What the Brit Nat's seems to miss is that jumping into every shooting match in the Middle East along with the US is the abnormal, not the normal, situation.

Anyway, as I said in a previous post, why aren't the other countries in the Middle East helping out militarily?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

We'd probably take a stance similar to the vast majority of countries around the world i.e. either stay out of it completely or only get involved under the direct request of the UN. What the Brit Nat's seems to miss is that jumping into every shooting match in the Middle East along with the US is the abnormal, not the normal, situation.

Anyway, as I said in a previous post, why aren't the other countries in the Middle East helping out militarily?

Military aircraft from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are also involved in the bombings at this time.

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 1
    Posted

Tongue in cheek, I assume.

• Like 2
    Posted

I suspect there's now not a venue big enough in Scotland to fit all the SNP's members into, Murrayfield was the last hope at 67,144 :)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Military aircraft from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are also involved in the bombings at this time.

Great, that's exactly what we should be encouraging!

We also need 'joined up thinking'.

In Syria, militants are laying siege to the key northern town of Kobane and an estimated 140,000 civilians - mostly Kurds - have fled across the nearby Turkish border.

The situation there remains tense, with Turkish troops trying to prevent Turkish and Syrian Kurds crossing the border to help defend the town.

Now that's just a snippet from the BBC and probably doesn't tell anything close to the full story. However, when we are helping the Kurds fight ISIS in Iraq, why is Turkey stopping Kurds moving to help in Syria?

For the record, I'm not anti-war. I was in the T.A. for a fair few years when I was younger. Career wise I've also been involved with the military quite heavily. What I am though is anti jumping in without fully considering the consequences. The problem with doing so means it reduced the appetite and likliehood of getting involved in the future, when it might really matter.

Posted

What would the Tories that voted against it do?

Or Labour that did the same?

Or the Liberals also?

Or the Greens?

Or the 80 odd MPs that abstained.

Seems actions by the British parliament are tainted in the eyes of many Brits.

You can go and see what the SNP's concerns were and what they thought might be a better approach. Just google. Very similar to what the Tory concerns were.

Edited by scottish skier
    Posted

Anyway, to try to keep this thread on topic (there being a thread for the middle east already and the Scottish government having no control over FA&D)....

Crown office now investigating the No campaign for serious electoral fraud.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/crown-office-to-probe-postal-vote-claims.25440050

Crown Office to probe postal vote claims

THE Crown Office has been called in to examine allegations that pro-Union campaigners breached electoral secrecy law by examining referendum postal ballot papers to gauge how well the Better Together campaign was doing before the polls had closed.

Complaints were passed to Police Scotland and elections watchdog the Electoral Commission. These arose following comments made by Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader and prominent supporter of the Better Together campaign.

Ms Davidson said during TV coverage of the referendum, 45 minutes after the ballots closed, that the No camp had been "incredibly encouraged" by the results of a "sample opening" of the postal ballot that she said had taken place around the country over the few weeks prior to the poll closing.

Posted

Anyway, to try to keep this thread on topic (there being a thread for the middle east already and the Scottish government having no control over FA&D)....

Crown office now investigating the No campaign for serious electoral fraud.

It'll be the same old blah blah, rules were broken, big deal, move on. Of course if this had been the YES side it'd be a whole different matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Has there actually been any visual confirmation of this?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Has there actually been any visual confirmation of this?  

Well here is an article from a few days back so this is pretty much old news to be honest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/23/us-syria-crisis-saudi-idUSKCN0HI1Y120140923

Edited by Captain shortwave
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well here is an article from a few days back so this is pretty much old news to be honest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/23/us-syria-crisis-saudi-idUSKCN0HI1Y120140923

What......They don't have journalists with cameras in S.A?   We have already seen USA planes taking off and bombing.   USA missiles being fired.   Indeed even  filming from the British base  in Cyprus since our 6 planes arrived there.  Just another report from another one of these "Official Sources" as far as I can tell.   Why not film "A rare foreign sortie?"

Sorry, but having experienced journalism propaganda over the last few weeks during the referendum campaign,the one thing I have learned is not to trust even a weather forecast if it appeared in a newspaper.  

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 3