Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The SNP membership is not a surprise given how well they motivated ground forced for the referendum.

Shows though how non-political many of the Yes campaign ground troops were. It probably started with a core of SNP/Green party activists but expanded well beyond that and it's only now that many of those activists have decided to join one of the parties.

A better indication of whether we should take notice will probably be 2017 (if a non Tory government) or 2018 (if a Tory government).

If the SNP membership is still even slowly increasing then (there should be no real publicity) then its something to worry about. Otherwise, I imagine that they'd just start to leak members once the fever over a referendum passes.

My boss in work has been a very active SNP member for years and we were talking about this yesterday. He jokingly said "I wonder when it will reach 100,000?" to which I replied, "I doubt it will get that high but I could see it getting over 70,000". With this morning's count now probably being over 58,000 then maybe his guess may be closer to the mark. It will be interesting to see when the increase starts to tail off as it's still showing no signs of doing so.

I agree though that people will probably drift away in a year or two, but with a minimum subscription of £12/yr it's not too costly to keep going (incidentally that's a boost of £384k to the SNPs bank account even if every new member only pays the minimum). As my boss pointed out, as the membership stands that's 1000+ members/activists for every constituency. Now not everyone is going to get out on the ground (he said new members tend to be more active though), but that's going to be a lot of boots pounding the streets in the GE campaign next year.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Our first hints from Labour loving Peter Kellner about the problem Labour may face in Scotland.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/22/its-make-or-break-miliband-unloved/

Scotland’s drama holds two big and uncomfortable lessons for Ed Miliband. The first is that the referendum campaign revealed the unpopularity of Labour’s leader in a part of Britain that his party used to dominate, and whose votes he needs if he is to become Prime Minister.

On the eve of Thursday’s vote, YouGov found that only 25% of Scots trusted him, while 67% did not. His figures were virtually the same as David Cameron’s – a shocking equality for a country which dislikes the Conservatives so much that it currently has only one Tory MP, compared with Labour’s 41. Gordon Brown’s interventions may well have helped the No campaign secure its victory last week; Miliband’s did not.

In practical terms, Miliband needs to shore up Labour’s support in Scotland between now and next year’s election. The risks and consequences of failure are great. Suppose that next spring, Scottish voters feel that London’s politicians have ratted on their pledge to act swiftly to transfer big new powers to Scotland. They might well turn to the SNP.

Only three Labour seats are vulnerable to a 5% swing to the SNP; but then comes a tipping point. An 8% swing would cost Labour 19 seats – and probably Miliband’s hopes of becoming Prime Minister.

If you support indy, SNP is your best bet in May. That's what the YesAlliance are backing. Greens, SSP, Labour for Indy, solidarity; back the SNP to push the devo issue.

Devo max/more people... clearly, with Ed back tracking on devolution as he's no interest in Scotland other than his SLAB MPs which are under threat with devo, then SNP are your champions and can try to work on a deal whoever wins the UKGE.

The Tories are a rump in Scotland. The Libs are dead. Time to move forward to a new era where Scottish parties standing up for Scotland are elected at both levels. Let's end Labour hegemony.

Incidentally, such a change is what's needed if you want a fair and balanced media. If the Scottish political establishment is no longer dominated by British Labour, then the media will follow the winds of change.

EDIT

Former Labour FM McLeish warning that Labour could die out in Scotland.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/henry-mcleish-warns-labour-danger-4313958

Henry McLeish warns Labour are in danger of dying out in Scotland unless radical action is taken now

FORMER Labour first minister Henry McLeish today warns his party are in danger of dying out in Scotland unless radical action is taken now.

Although the No side won the referendum , Labour have been left reeling by the Yes vote in heartlands such as Glasgow and Lanarkshire.

And voters energised by the independence debate are sending membership levels soaring in the SNP and Greens.

McLeish said: “We can’t ignore this. It’s happening in solid areas of the old Red Clydeside and in Dundee.

Latest update:

https://twitter.com/PeterMurrell

12 o'clock and all's well as we race past 33,000 new @theSNP members. 9,000 in last 24 hours. Join the 58,642 of us:

Payday coming soon too.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

SS, what was the overall swing from Labour to SNP at the last Holyrood election?

I reckon if it becomes likely that the Tory's were set to win, then the point of voting Labour would be pointless and massive numbers would switch to the SNP. I can easily see the SNP getting 40 seats.

Edited by mountain shadow
    Posted

SS, I think Henry McLeish may be one of the few in Labour who "get's it"...

“We need full autonomy from UK Labour so we can have a clear identity. Ed Miliband’s Labour is fighting for English votes on different issues .â€

That may start a process of fixing 'Scottish' Labour but would it ever be allowed to happen? Would that then mean, if the votes went the right way, you could have coalition of separate UK & Scottish Labour parties controlling Westminster?

Posted

SS, what was the overall swing from Labour to SNP at the last Holyrood election?

I reckon if it becomes likely that the Tory's were set to win, then the point of voting Labour would be pointless and massive numbers would switch to the SNP. I can easily see the SNP getting 40 seats.

I was arguing the same thing in work yesterday. If it was obvious from polling that Labour were going to fall short it then "If you vote Labour the Tories are still going to get in." would be an easy sell on the doorsteps. Voting SNP would still let the Tories in in that case but who would you trust most to fight to protect Scotland's interests? The thing is, I can easily see the Tories going into the vote with a lead in the polls. Interesting times ahead.

Posted

It's a bit apples and pairs.

In a way you might want to compare 2010 to 2011, but there's also a 2007-2011 comparison too. 

In terms of 07-11, SNP gained modestly from Labour, but the latter were only -1.7% on average.

in 2010-11, ~13% of the electorate who voted Labour in 2010 voted SNP in 2011. up to 12% who voted Lib voted SNP.

The question is whether people will revert back to a 2010 situation. Bascially, voting Labour or Lib in 2010 gave Scotland a Tory government and that was before Labour slit their own throat by being the Tory poodle in the referendum campaign.

Now with Ed backing out of more devolution as much as he can...

Polls have been a mixed bunch with SNP generally ahead for Westminster. Recent evidence for the SNP opening up a large gap. This is why we are hearing worry from Kellner, McLeish etc and why labour MPs are now looking at Holyrood and thinking how they can create new jobs for themselves there by ousting MSPs.

---

SNP per (electorate) capita by far the largest party in the UK. % of respective populations as members:

SNP 1.1%
    Lab 0.3%
    Con 0.2%
    Lib 0.1%
    UKIP 0.1%

One order of magnitude out in from and growing at a huge rate of knots. Many defecting directly from Labour.
    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Great post SS, nae wonder Labour are bricking it.

If they provide greater devolution to Scotland and not to England then Labour loses England. If they don't deliver on Devo Max to Scotland then they lose Scotland. No wonder Millband was trying to kick the whole thing into the long grass by pushing for a commission to be held next Autumn.

Strangely, the Tories might benefit also with more Scottish seats if it looked like the SNP were set to get a large number of seats. The Unionist voters would have to choose one party to vote for. It would be too risky to vote Labour and daft to vote Lib Dems.

Posted

Strangely, the Tories might benefit also with more Scottish seats if it looked like the SNP were set to get a large number of seats. The Unionist voters would have to choose one party to vote for. It would be too risky to vote Labour and daft to vote Lib Dems.

I'd say it's more likely than not that the Tories will increase their seat count. Tactical voting makes the situation complicated. For instance many people who may have been inclined to vote SNP may have instead voted for Labour in a Westminster GE to 'try to keep the Tories out'. If those people are less inclined to do that I'm sure the Tories will benefit. Personally I don't see much different these days between Labour and the Tories so don't care, other than maybe that it's funny that Scotland is an almost Tory-free zone.

Posted

Hey look what the Herald's reporting today:

New gas and water technologies could add decades to the life span of oil reserves in the North Sea

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/researchers-new-technologies-could-add-decades-to-life-span-of-north-sea-oil-reserves.1411552080

Posted

All lies Skifreak. Better Together told us it was a rapidly reducing resource and millstone around Scotland's neck?

What is the value of the UK oil fund at the moment?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The SNP membership is not a surprise given how well they motivated ground forced for the referendum.

A better indication of whether we should take notice will probably be 2017 (if a non Tory government) or 2018 (if a Tory government).

If the SNP membership is still even slowly increasing then (there should be no real publicity) then its something to worry about. Otherwise, I imagine that they'd just start to leak members once the fever over a referendum passes.

Quite right, worth remember that since the early 2000s, the SNP have been the only party with consistently strong growth, other than the Scottish Greens.

Posted

I was arguing the same thing in work yesterday. If it was obvious from polling that Labour were going to fall short it then "If you vote Labour the Tories are still going to get in." would be an easy sell on the doorsteps. Voting SNP would still let the Tories in in that case but who would you trust most to fight to protect Scotland's interests? The thing is, I can easily see the Tories going into the vote with a lead in the polls. Interesting times ahead.

Generally speaking, the polls tend to revert in favour of the incumbent party the closer we get to polling day. I really can't see Labour taking the next General Election, their lead is too little and they are only appealing to their core vote at the moment, even then the talk of capping child benefits won't impress many. Almost no mention of the deficit yesterday.

Posted

The potential for multi pronged tactical voting makes next May's General Election even more unpredictable for Scotland. The Anti Tory tactical vote has been a strong factor in at least the last 5 UK GE's, how this splits between people voting for anyone that can keep the Tories out of their constituency and voters wanting to kick the Lib Dems will be particularly interesting. Ironically anti-Tory tactical voting might save 2 or 3 Lib Dem MPs, while the Tories might pick up a couple of seats where the Lib Dems are served their ar§e on a plate.

Back in 2010 Labour's campaign was summed up as 'Vote SNP and the Tories will eat your children'. They run with it again in 2011 at Holyrood and look what happened. 'The one more push for Labour to keep the Tories out' line appears to have finally run out of steam, in that GE not a single seat changed hand hands in Scotland, it looks like the 2015 GE might make up for that! Certainly in the aftermath of a no vote, the constitutional question now focuses more on Westminster once again rather than Holyrood.

SNP Membership has broken the 60,000 mark in the last hour! Is there any other example in a Western Democracy where the governing party doubles it's membership in the middle of it's second term, never mind do so in under a week!

Edited by skifreak
    Posted

The phrase going about is that the referendum was the "settled will of the people of Scotland". I don't buy that, for me, the settled will of the vast majority is Devo Max. That is everything to be devolved apart from Defence and Foreign Affairs. It was on this basis with the promise from Gordon Brown that the vote was taken. It must be delivered.

It is in this context that we look towards the general election in May next year. The party which reneges on this promise will be decimated.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Generally speaking, the polls tend to revert in favour of the incumbent party the closer we get to polling day. I really can't see Labour taking the next General Election, their lead is too little and they are only appealing to their core vote at the moment, even then the talk of capping child benefits won't impress many. Almost no mention of the deficit yesterday.

See my post in the UK thread. Miliband admitted he accidentally forget to mention the defecit in his speech.... Tit.

• Like 2
    Posted

See my post in the UK thread. Miliband admitted he accidentally forget to mention the defecit in his speech.... Tit.

I'm sorry but the man is actually a bit of a moron at times, he's campaigning to be the next prime minister, not a motivational speaker. Use cue cards Ed!

Posted

I'm sorry but the man is actually a bit of a moron at times, he's campaigning to be the next prime minister, not a motivational speaker. Use cue cards Ed!

One of the cues cards properly read "Stand down and make way for someone up to the job."

His fellow MP's didn't want him as leader, neither did the card carrying members it was only the union baron block votes that got him the job... There's democracy in action Labour style!

He really is boxed into a corner now ref Scotland and in the UK if the WLQ gets resolved.

Edited by kar999
    • Like 3
    Posted

One of the cues cards properly read "Stand down and make way for someone up to the job."

His fellow MP's didn't want him as leader, neither did the card carrying members it was only the union baron block votes that got him the job... There's democracy in action Labour style!

He really is boxed into a corner now ref Scotland and in the UK if the WLQ gets resolved.

He's under attack on both sides - SNP taking his Scottish seats (through both lib dem vote collapse and labour voters moving to SNP) and the Conservatives blocking his Scottish MPs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Anyone wanting a chuckle and five minutes of pretty brilliant writing.

This is good from Ian Martin, The Thick of It writer, annihilates Labour conference. Highly Amusing.

And everywhere, the conference slogan: “Labour’s Plan For Britain’s Futureâ€. Bold in the sense that it contains two apostrophes and tells you nothing. A gift tag for an empty box.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/23/ian-martin-labour-conference-thick-of-it

Regarding the dynamics of the forthcoming election, it really is fascinating regarding where the votes and tactical votes will go.

One chart post referendum tracked Yes No votes against affluence, the East and South of the country shaded heavier as more affluent areas voted No, this colour palate fading as you looked west and affluence decreased and Yes vote increased.

With Labour under attack and the votes hemorrhaging elsewhere, could this then be the year that a  conservative vote in Scotland also gains traction / breaks the historic taboo -  kicked on by the No in the referendum ? 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Great post SS, nae wonder Labour are bricking it.

If they provide greater devolution to Scotland and not to England then Labour loses England. If they don't deliver on Devo Max to Scotland then they lose Scotland. No wonder Millband was trying to kick the whole thing into the long grass by pushing for a commission to be held next Autumn.

Yes. There are 2 seats the Tories will certainly pick up from the Libs bar a monumental swing from the SNP (Aberdeen West and Berwickshire), plus there are another 2 where the combination of Labour and the Libs doing badly could give them a chance (Argyl and Edinburgh West) though with the fight been with the SNP here i suspect the SNP ground game will win out. If the SNP can do enough to Labour we could potentially see Dumfries and Golloway go blue potentially turning the border constituencies all blue.

Shows though how non-political many of the Yes campaign ground troops were. It probably started with a core of SNP/Green party activists but expanded well beyond that and it's only now that many of those activists have decided to join one of the parties.

My boss in work has been a very active SNP member for years and we were talking about this yesterday. He jokingly said "I wonder when it will reach 100,000?" to which I replied, "I doubt it will get that high but I could see it getting over 70,000". With this morning's count now probably being over 58,000 then maybe his guess may be closer to the mark. It will be interesting to see when the increase starts to tail off as it's still showing no signs of doing so.

I agree though that people will probably drift away in a year or two, but with a minimum subscription of £12/yr it's not too costly to keep going (incidentally that's a boost of £384k to the SNPs bank account even if every new member only pays the minimum). As my boss pointed out, as the membership stands that's 1000+ members/activists for every constituency. Now not everyone is going to get out on the ground (he said new members tend to be more active though), but that's going to be a lot of boots pounding the streets in the GE campaign next year.

Yes, it's worth remembering that the Tories for the 51 election garnered 3 million votes (not sure if that includes the Unionists in Scotland). The SNP certainly has lessons to teach in engagement.

I'd say it's more likely than not that the Tories will increase their seat count. Tactical voting makes the situation complicated. For instance many people who may have been inclined to vote SNP may have instead voted for Labour in a Westminster GE to 'try to keep the Tories out'. If those people are less inclined to do that I'm sure the Tories will benefit. Personally I don't see much different these days between Labour and the Tories so don't care, other than maybe that it's funny that Scotland is an almost Tory-free zone.

As per my first reply, a potential 5 new seats albeit 2 confident, 2 likely to go SNP and 1 needs the SNP to split the Labour vote.

Yes. In Q4 2009 the ICM gave the Tories an average lead of 14% which was 7% on election day. If we see a similar 7% change then the Tories should retain a comfortable minority given they've been averaging about 2% over the last 3 months or so.

The potential for multi pronged tactical voting makes next May's General Election even more unpredictable for Scotland. The Anti Tory tactical vote has been a strong factor in at least the last 5 UK GE's, how this splits between people voting for anyone that can keep the Tories out of their constituency and voters wanting to kick the Lib Dems will be particularly interesting. Ironically anti-Tory tactical voting might save 2 or 3 Lib Dem MPs, while the Tories might pick up a couple of seats where the Lib Dems are served their ar§e on a plate.

Back in 2010 Labour's campaign was summed up as 'Vote SNP and the Tories will eat your children'. They run with it again in 2011 at Holyrood and look what happened. 'The one more push for Labour to keep the Tories out' line appears to have finally run out of steam, in that GE not a single seat changed hand hands in Scotland, it looks like the 2015 GE might make up for that! Certainly in the aftermath of a no vote, the constitutional question now focuses more on Westminster once again rather than Holyrood.

SNP Membership has broken the 60,000 mark in the last hour! Is there any other example in a Western Democracy where the governing party doubles it's membership in the middle of it's second term, never mind do so in under a week!

Probably Blair and Thatcher although Labour's links to unions make membership numbers iffy. Merkel possible.

Posted

The phrase going about is that the referendum was the "settled will of the people of Scotland". I don't buy that, for me, the settled will of the vast majority is Devo Max. That is everything to be devolved apart from Defence and Foreign Affairs. It was on this basis with the promise from Gordon Brown that the vote was taken. It must be delivered.

It is in this context that we look towards the general election in May next year. The party which reneges on this promise will be decimated.

Was it? From what i remember of Brown's speech it was less overall devolution but more focus on tax (12 taxes if i remember), it's actually the Tories (full tax powers) and Libs (pensions and welfare) who want to go furthest. 

It's a muddle really because all they've really agreed to is a minimum bar and then vastly different powers depending on who's in government.

Anyone wanting a chuckle and five minutes of pretty brilliant writing.

This is good from Ian Martin, The Thick of It writer, annihilates Labour conference. Highly Amusing.

And everywhere, the conference slogan: “Labour’s Plan For Britain’s Futureâ€. Bold in the sense that it contains two apostrophes and tells you nothing. A gift tag for an empty box.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/23/ian-martin-labour-conference-thick-of-it

Regarding the dynamics of the forthcoming election, it really is fascinating regarding where the votes and tactical votes will go.

One chart post referendum tracked Yes No votes against affluence, the East and South of the country shaded heavier as more affluent areas voted No, this colour palate fading as you looked west and affluence decreased and Yes vote increased.

With Labour under attack and the votes hemorrhaging elsewhere, could this then be the year that a  conservative vote in Scotland also gains traction / breaks the historic taboo -  kicked on by the No in the referendum ? 

Well the few Scottish only polls i've seen (there was a link somewhere but can't find it) suggest the Tories may be around the 20% mark (a rough 3% gain) so any gains will more a result of other votes changing. 

With that being said i don't actually believe that Scotland is quite the socialist republic that some people make out so it stands to reason that even if the party of the left was strongest consistently you'd see a left/right split develop over time. In this sense the SNP could possibly be compared to Labour in early 1900's whereby they forced 3 way politics for a while before the Liberals finally dropped and politics realigned to a standard left/right format but with a new party (the SNP) being to the left.

Edited by summer blizzard
    Posted

Not seeing any evidence for any poll movement to the conservatives.

Completely flat. Possibly down on 2010.

SNP are second place in most seats in Scotland, with either the Libs or Labour in first place where the SNP don't hold.

For Tories to gain in anything other than a couple of seats, Labour voters would need to vote for them. With even the Orange Order now voting Labour, that ain't going to happen.

The old 'Vote SNP and you might let the Tory in' due to FPTP stopped making any sense about 2 decades ago. If you vote SNP in Scottish Westminster constituencies, you'll either erode the Labour / Lib share or get an SNP MP.

This is what happens when people vote SNP under FPTP (2011 constituency vote).

map+of+Scotland.jpg

53/73 Seats (73% of constituency MSPs).

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 1
    Posted

Daily Record   227,639  251,535  291,825  306,872 323,831

Circulation. . . .  2014      2013       2012       2011      2010     (Average daily circulation for the month of January)

Curious to know what it will be next year

(Figures from Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

Edit: format.

Edited by frogesque
    Posted

Auto cue:

"

Nobody likes me,

Everybody hates me,

I think I'll go and eat worms

"

• Like 1
    Posted

With that being said i don't actually believe that Scotland is quite the socialist republic that some people make out so it stands to reason that even if the party of the left was strongest consistently you'd see a left/right split develop over time. In this sense the SNP could possibly be compared to Labour in early 1900's whereby they forced 3 way politics for a while before the Liberals finally dropped and politics realigned to a standard left/right format but with a new party (the SNP) being to the left.

Yes and No. If the Holyrood election was called January, we'd possibly see SNP 1st, Lab 2nd, Green 3rd and Con 4th. That's certainly a strong Left in government and a "left" party as the opposition.