Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scottish Politics 2011-2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

here's to the the next 307 years of unionist british bliss. :drinks:

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 30.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish-Irish Skier

• mountain shadow

• skifreak

• frogesque

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that ignorant, offensive, rant sums up exactly why the YES campaign failed  

Good god. What a load of boarish spiteful bile from bad losers has been posted during the night. I actually dread to think how Scotland would be run if this is representative of how the yes vote behav

I'm disappointed in the lack of grace shown by some across the net in accepting this No vote. A complete lack of any empathy and understanding as to why fellow Scots didn't vote Yes.   I personally

Posted Images

Posted

Economic pureists should love the idea of an £8 minimum wage, it would cut government spending by hundreds of millions, if not billions, by reducing the Tax Credits bill. An interesting move.

Possibly, but sweatshop Britain in the land of zero hour contracts would be agast!

here's to the the next 307 years of unionist british bliss. :drinks:

Enjoy it while you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

Possibly, but sweatshop Britain in the land of zero hour contracts would be agast!

Enjoy it while you can.

you enjoy it too. :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Economic pureists should love the idea of an £8 minimum wage, it would cut government spending by hundreds of millions, if not billions, by reducing the Tax Credits bill. An interesting move.

Only if you believe won't offer more tax credits.

I'm fine with the 8 by 2020 (only a pound more than it would be anyway) but I expect little lowering of the welfare bill by Labour.

Posted
    An iconic image of hope over fear.

10377531_939723576042546_458159743397706

The unionist thugs behind the police later charged the two young women (who were part of a small group singing Flower of Scotland etc), with a man forcing the one on the left to the ground and tearing her saltire from her, as per the clip that's being going around social media.

1234816_10204688221509496_70165080968301

11 unionists arrested for violence / public disorder. After they'd 'won' too.

Anyway, I find the courage of the two women inspiring. May they inspire others to peaceful democratic campaigning. We should never give in to intimidation and violence.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

So judging by the poll the Libs Dems are pretty much finished in Scotland (other than Shetland), much like the conservatives. Will be interesting to see how many seats the SNP take, especially in the labour heartlands. 

Posted

Cameron is using Scotland as a political football in terms of the GE. The pledge given did not have a clause saying that more powers to Scotland have to go together with more powers to the regions of the rUK.

They made a pledge they should honour it, end of! No ifs or buts.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The mob from Friday really sit outside Yes / No, they are answerable only to themselves for creating such a sad spectacle.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Thanks for replying. Yes there have been some posts which required moderation, and many of those more extreme / views and comments were deleted or edited following folk reporting them, I think that in the immediate aftermath of the result emotions were running high.

I don't speak for all Yes folks, however I would say there is every willingness to accept the democratic decision of the Scottish people, to dry our eyes and move forward. I have not seen examples today of anyone being demonised No Balls.

Implying that anyone voting is not a real Scot / sold out, I do not personally agree with, e.g I don't think this of my friends / colleagues/ famiily.

The #45 group as far as I see it, is a collective to ensure that the political awakening of the pro-Independence voters in the referendum is cemented and carried forward, as per others thoughts above, this is a temporary catharsis which in it's very name is not inclusive or progressive.  I predict that this will change name very soon into something more positive. Can easily be countered by folk saying #55> #45. 

Personally, ( moderator hat removed ) I feel that sweeping generalizations about entire swathes of people are unfair. 

You shouldn't be a moderator imho, with reference to the couple of words I've highlighted. Insulting and totally out of order.

• Like 1
    Posted

post-9421-0-46753000-1411324438_thumb.jp

How about the graffiti on the side of a polling station claiming that No voters would be shot? You're insinuating that the Yes campaign was clean and angelic, when in reality sections of both sides were culpable of despicable intimidation.

Right, sounds very nasty. Poor polling station. How many No voters to date have been shot? Presumably quite a lot as No won so revenge attacks have followed?

Nick, the No side has all the far right groups on it (those who rioted in Glasgow). It was always going to be more unpleasant than the Yes side, although the latter of course has some idiots. The British MSM of course has continuously tried to tell us (and you) it's the other way around. Independence movements are always demonised by the state the seek independence from. 

The picture was genuinely inspiring to me. They'd lost, were heartbroken and exhausted, yet still sung peacefully even when surrounded by people they knew to be drunk and dangerous.

I sat and watch footage on RT etc of the riots because the BBC did its best to downplay it all. It was another nail in the BBCs coffin. If Yes had been doing that it would be front page for weeks.

Another inspiring image above. No police needed.

You know you don't live in a proper democracy when only one sunday paper is all that gives a voice in support of 45% of the population.

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 2
    Posted

Cameron is using Scotland as a political football in terms of the GE. The pledge given did not have a clause saying that more powers to Scotland have to go together with more powers to the regions of the rUK.

They made a pledge they should honour it, end of! No ifs or buts.

Although giving more powers to Scotland while the rest of the UK gets nothing will no doubt anger everyone else. A plan for extra powers, as well as change for the rest of the UK, should have been thought up from when the referendum was announced. But instead they thought they would waltz it and thus promised everything at the last minute. 

Edited by Mark Bayley
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

You shouldn't be a moderator imho, with reference to the couple of words I've highlighted. Insulting and totally out of order.

This was an abbreviation of the users name, there is absolutely no malice intended. Feed back is noted and will ensure to write the full name in future to avoid any misinterpretation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Only if you believe won't offer more tax credits.

I'm fine with the 8 by 2020 (only a pound more than it would be anyway) but I expect little lowering of the welfare bill by Labour.

I've never been a big fan of the Tax Credits system, even my left-wing leanings don't blind me to the problems with them. Aye, you're probs right about them doing something on Tax Credits as a further bribe. I'd be against that.

Posted

Although giving more powers to Scotland while the rest of the UK gets nothing will no doubt anger everyone else. A plan for extra powers, as well as change for the rest of the UK, should have been thought up from when the referendum was announced. But instead they thought they would waltz it and thus rushed promised everything at the last minute. 

Yes panic broke out which wasn't surprising given the chaotic campaign run by BT. But given the lack of trust in politics and politicians in general this "pledge" has to be honoured.

Other constitutional matters re Westminster will take a long time to sort out and Cameron trying to tie that in with more devolved powers to Scotland was just a way to force Labour into a corner.

Apparently Cameron is now backtracking saying both processes can go on at the same time but do not have to be linked!

Posted

This was an abbreviation of the users name, there is absolutely no malice intended. Feed back is noted and will ensure to write the full name in future to avoid any misinterpretation.

Okay. No worries. I just thought you might have tagged it on the end of the paragraph, as a snide insult, but your explanation is good. :)

Posted

Although giving more powers to Scotland while the rest of the UK gets nothing will no doubt anger everyone else. A plan for extra powers, as well as change for the rest of the UK, should have been thought up from when the referendum was announced. But instead they thought they would waltz it and thus promised everything at the last minute. 

England has full powers already.

Only small problem is a few Scots, NI and Welsh MPs chose to vote on English devolved matters - not that it really makes anything of an impact. 

Remove them and give devolved parliaments full / equal powers to England = problem solved. 

Posted

Turns out i was a little wrong earlier..

Westminster voting intention Scotland

SNP: 34% (+15)

Lab: 38% (-4)

Con: 18% (+2)

No deposit for anybody else.

Sottish voting intention in Scotland

SNP: 49%

Lab: 32%

Con: 13%

So judging by the poll the Libs Dems are pretty much finished in Scotland (other than Shetland), much like the conservatives. Will be interesting to see how many seats the SNP take, especially in the labour heartlands. 

Finished in terms of a win, yes. But i doubt a sustained wipeout.

Indeed one of the interesting things to come from the SNP gaining at Labour's and the Libs expense and the Tories making small gains there (a few Scottish polls had them at 20%) is that Berwickshire and Aberdeen West barring something spectacular from the SNP stand a good chance of going blue. Edinburgh West and Argyl should go SNP but could be fairly marginal.

Posted

Quite a good article from Peter Hitchens in the Mail ( I generally think he's a bit of a right wing arris, writing for a right wing arris of a paper, which appeals to the terminally dense, but this one is a pretty good read, even if perhaps a bit too nostalgic / dewy eyed) :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763763/England-beware-The-Scots-punish-terribly-think-ve-conned-PETER-HITCHENS-returned-home-tearfully-left-boy-filled-powerful-sense-foreboding.html

Edited by Steve C
    • Like 2
    Posted

Quite a good article from Peter Hitchens in the Mail ( I generally think he's a bit of a right wing arris, writing for a right wing arris of a paper, which appeals to the terminally dense, but this one is a pretty good read, even if perhaps a bit too nostalgic / dewy eyed) :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763763/England-beware-The-Scots-punish-terribly-think-ve-conned-PETER-HITCHENS-returned-home-tearfully-left-boy-filled-powerful-sense-foreboding.html

Has Peter Hitchens been abducted by an alien! A surprisingly well written, emotional and reasonable article. I certainly agree with his sentiments re a big fallout if Westminster doesn't deliver on its pledge.

Personally I think they will deliver more powers but its whether those powers are sufficient and acceptable to Scottish voters that's more in question.

Edited by nick sussex
    Posted

In what way?

And please don't tell me British Parliament = English Parliament.

British parliament = 84% English Parliament

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

How about the graffiti on the side of a polling station claiming that No voters would be shot? You're insinuating that the Yes campaign was clean and angelic, when in reality sections of both sides were culpable of despicable intimidation.

To the outsider, or interested foreigner, watching that nonsense last Friday in George Square, would have asked themselves. "If No won, why are they starting fights?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

attachicon.gifherald.jpg

Right, sounds very nasty. Poor polling station. How many No voters to date have been shot? Presumably quite a lot as No won so revenge attacks have followed?

Nick, the No side has all the far right groups on it (those who rioted in Glasgow). It was always going to be more unpleasant than the Yes side, although the latter of course has some idiots. The British MSM of course has continuously tried to tell us (and you) it's the other way around. Independence movements are always demonised by the state the seek independence from. 

The picture was genuinely inspiring to me. They'd lost, were heartbroken and exhausted, yet still sung peacefully even when surrounded by people they knew to be drunk and dangerous.

I sat and watch footage on RT etc of the riots because the BBC did its best to downplay it all. It was another nail in the BBCs coffin. If Yes had been doing that it would be front page for weeks.

Another inspiring image above. No police needed.

You know you don't live in a proper democracy when only one sunday paper is all that gives a voice in support of 45% of the population.

I would have been interested to see your reaction if it was Yes voters threatened with being "shot".

To clarify, I would not have blamed Scotland for leaving one bit, if I could get rid of Westminster then I would do so in a heartbeat. But sections of both sides of this referendum should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of a reasoned debate on a crucial issue, it descended into intimidation, threats and bullying. I'd wager that the reason for the higher No vote than the polls suggested was due to them being afraid of admitting it, similar to the "shy Tory" factor that caused inaccuracies in polls for years. I might be wrong, but that's just my tuppence.

Edited by Nick L
    • Like 1
    Posted

I would have been interested to see your reaction if it was Yes voters threatened with being "shot".

From the likes of the UDF or UDL I would take such a threat very seriously. The bomb and the bullet were still very much a currency when I lived in NI.

Let's be very clear, there are unionist and Unionists. Confuse the two at your peril.